1005 replies to this topic

#251 T Diamond

T Diamond

Elder Chicken [Level 4]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:19 AM

I got Lollipop Chainsaw on release day, and before I go any further I must say that I LOVE this game. The action is fun and varied enough to keep it from feeling tedious, the humor is spot on, and the game exudes such charm. It also caters to both casual and hardcore players with the varying difficulty levels, ranking modes, and plethora of unlocks... Grasshopper Manufacture and SUDA 51 truly understand how to make a game that people will want to replay over and over.

That being said, Lollipop Chainsaw certainly has it's flaws; I started out somewhat frustrated and dissapointed. When you first begin the game, controls are not listed ANYWHERE- no manual, not in the main menu, and at first unlisted in the pause menu. they introduce the controls/combos very slowly throughout the first level... fairly terrible when your first playthrough is on hard. By the time they told me about most controls I had figured them out via trial and error. Also, combos at the start of the game are fairly limited, but that is common and allows a good sense of growth in power as you play.
The game has a few camera issues in corners and controls are not quite as fluid and precise as they could be (although that improves as you buy combos and increase stats).

Despite the issues, like I said, I love this game. Once you get past the start and get yourself accustomed to the nuances of combat you'll be gleefully making sparkles, cartoon hearts, and rainbows appear from felled zombies at a pace that does not dissapoint.

When I first sad an add for the game I wasn't even sure what I was looking at. I don't know anyone that has any interest in the game so thanks for mini reviewing it. Would you recommend the game?

#252 halfcoordinated

halfcoordinated

Chicken Lover [Level 1]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:19 PM

As long as you're an adult that can "get" an out-there somewhat cheesy sense of humor and you like games that are rewarding for replay value rather than a longer single campaign run (something I think would fit most behemoth fans would appreciate), then absolutely yes I recommend this game. Words honestly fail me in describing some aspects of the experience.

One other minor flaw at least on the ps3 version which for some reason does not let you install, is that lollipop has more loading than should be expected from a fairly linear game this late in the current gen of consoles. I know I mentioned several little issues with this game, but despite all that it enthralls me. Overall, the problems are outweighed by the unique mechanics and presentation, as well as good attention to some smaller details.

A few examples: In most hack and slash action games, you simply try to kill enemies quickly or keep an absurdly long combo going. In lollipop chainsaw, sure you can still just go straight for kills, but to get a good score (and thusly more in-game money and unlocks) you instead weaken enemies to make them groggy/stunned, group them together, and kill 3 or more in one chainsaw slash to get "sparkle hunting" rewards... which yes, looks as flashily ridiculous as it sounds.
Also, there are DOZENS of unlockable costumes in the game, and in cutscenes, whatever costume you are wearing is what you see every time other than a few hand drawn bits. That truly is rare in a game.

Objectively I give this game an 8 out of 10, but personally it is closer to a 9.

#253 Dropped Your Pocket

Dropped Your Pocket

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Moderator [Mod level 2]
  • 4,496 posts
  • LocationMinnesnowta

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:24 AM

Got done playing about 115 hours on my new character in Skyrim, finally got around to beating Dante's Inferno, and now I don't know what to play

#254 Bloob

Bloob

Ultra-Member !!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,310 posts
  • LocationπŸ…Έ'πŸ…Ό πŸ…ΈπŸ…½ πŸ†ˆπŸ…ΎπŸ†„πŸ† πŸ…°πŸ†πŸ…΄πŸ…° (πŸ…Έ πŸ…ΊπŸ…½πŸ…ΎπŸ†† πŸ†ƒπŸ…·πŸ…΄ πŸ…΅πŸ…ΈπŸ†πŸ†‚πŸ†ƒ πŸ†ƒπŸ…·πŸ†πŸ…΄πŸ…΄ πŸ…½πŸ†„πŸ…ΌπŸ…±πŸ…΄πŸ†πŸ†‚)

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:39 AM

I put a good nine hours into Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. over the past couple of days.
This was the first time I played a game for over two hours in a single day in a long time.

#255 Dropped Your Pocket

Dropped Your Pocket

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• 4,496 posts
  • LocationMinnesnowta

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:00 PM

I put a good nine hours into Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. over the past couple of days.
This was the first time I played a game for over two hours in a single day in a long time.

Last year, I believe, I went back to my old N64, and beat the first Paper Mario. Then I went and beat Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. After that, I went to try and beat Super Paper Mario, but I think I bought a new game before I could fully beat that. Still haven't beaten it to this day.

#256 Zephyr

Zephyr

Elder Chicken [Level 4]

• Members
  • 2,049 posts
  • Locationis unknown.

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:58 PM

Have you gone down the Pit of 100 Trials yet?

I've done it about 7 times now... :-| (The first time is the hardest because you have to fight Bonetail in the end.)

#257 Golden Whale

Golden Whale

Chicken Lover [Level 2]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Locationinside a gold whale that poops out gold!

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:24 PM

Cod:Mw3,Cod:Black ops,Castle Crashers

#258 daikonboy101

daikonboy101

Elder Chicken [Level 3]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts
  • LocationScotland [sob sob]

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:33 PM

borderlands, castle crashers, restarted skyrim and I'm playing that again, and also bioshock oh and ratchet and clank a crack in time (I'm goin' for my fifth platinum trophy)

#259 TatelousMaximus

TatelousMaximus

Eggie [Level 0]

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:47 PM

NCAA Football 2013. And before that, Fruit Ninja and Wordament. It's good to be eclectic.

#260 The Forgotten Knight

The Forgotten Knight

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • 2,796 posts
  • LocationMaking out with the Princess'. That's right all of them!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:15 PM

Saints Row the Third on Steam.

#261 yugo657

yugo657

Elder Chicken [Level 4]

• Members
  • 2,209 posts
  • LocationSomewhere behind you.

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:20 PM

Got a mere 30-ish hours in Skyrim.

#262 Dropped Your Pocket

Dropped Your Pocket

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• 4,496 posts
  • LocationMinnesnowta

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

Just got done with DMC3, which was actually pretty difficult at some parts, and that's just on normal mode. Started DMC4 and was very sad when I realized it has no trophies.

#263 Turkey

Turkey

Elder Chicken [Level 4]

• Members
  • 2,212 posts
  • LocationIn Castlevania, chillin' with Vlad

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:26 AM

Just got Paper Mario: Sticker Star. This game is wonderful :3

#264 Dropped Your Pocket

Dropped Your Pocket

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• 4,496 posts
  • LocationMinnesnowta

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:39 AM

Just got Paper Mario: Sticker Star. This game is wonderful :3

Gah, don't rub it in, I've been waiting for a return of the RPG element of Paper Mario for years now! I really want this game, it'll give me a reason to use my 3DS as more than just a regular DS.

#265 Gamefemale

Gamefemale

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • 3,557 posts
  • LocationWhere do you think I am?

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:18 AM

I was staying up all night all weekend playing Sonic Heroes. I got all 7 Chaos Emeralds, 118 emblems and 114 A ranks. Lot of hard work.

#266 Dropped Your Pocket

Dropped Your Pocket

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• 4,496 posts
  • LocationMinnesnowta

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:21 AM

I was staying up all night all weekend playing Sonic Heroes. I got all 7 Chaos Emeralds, 118 emblems and 114 A ranks. Lot of hard work.

I don't know what that means, but those are high numbers and important sounding things, so props to you :smile:

#267 Gamefemale

Gamefemale

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:24 AM

I don't know what that means, but those are high numbers and important sounding things, so props to you :smile:

Those are REALLY important! To unlock super hard mode, you need all 120 emblems and an A rank in all main levels and extra missions (120). I feel proud of myself right now.

#268 Dropped Your Pocket

Dropped Your Pocket

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• 4,496 posts
  • LocationMinnesnowta

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:47 AM

Those are REALLY important! To unlock super hard mode, you need all 120 emblems and an A rank in all main levels and extra missions (120). I feel proud of myself right now.

Is that the hardest mode? What do you get for beating it?

#269 Revon

Revon

Elder Chicken [Level 3]

• Members
  • 1,852 posts
  • LocationWandering aimlessly...

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

Halo 4. Bring on the hate. :smile:

#270 Turkey

Turkey

Elder Chicken [Level 4]

• Members
  • 2,212 posts
  • LocationIn Castlevania, chillin' with Vlad

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

Halo 4 is literally my favorite modern-day console-based-game right now. No hate here :grin:

Halo 4's not my favorite game though. That's probably Starfox 64 or Paper Mario; TTYD.

Edited by A Rab1d Turkey, 13 November 2012 - 08:43 PM.

#271 Dropped Your Pocket

Dropped Your Pocket

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• 4,496 posts
  • LocationMinnesnowta

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

Halo 4 is literally my favorite modern-day console-based-game right now. No hate here :grin:

Halo 4's not my favorite game though. That's probably Starfox 64 or Paper Mario; TTYD.

I love you now.

#272 daikonboy101

daikonboy101

Elder Chicken [Level 3]

• Members
  • 1,936 posts
  • LocationScotland [sob sob]

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

I love you now.

I was thinking the same thing but I got all embawassed, I didn't want to blurt out my feelings like that.

#273 Gamefemale

Gamefemale

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:36 AM

I haven't played it yet since I have not unlocked it. :(

#274 Dropped Your Pocket

Dropped Your Pocket

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• 4,496 posts
  • LocationMinnesnowta

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:47 AM

I haven't played it yet since I have not unlocked it. :(

Oh, right.

#275 The Forgotten Knight

The Forgotten Knight

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • 2,796 posts
  • LocationMaking out with the Princess'. That's right all of them!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:54 AM

Saints Row the Third on Steam.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users