Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

Anyone check this out on youtube?

Sounds like a train wreck!

Looks pretty scary ...

Just one more natural disaster we are heading towards.

Floods, hurricanes, heat droughts, freezing temperatures, tornados, earthquakes.

They are all going to get worse

#2 megan

megan

Admin [NPC]

• Admin [NPC]
  • 502 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

Yup, pretty crazy. I'd be freaked out if I saw something shooting through the sky like that. Hope there weren't serious injuries from the shattered glass...

#3 Ender

Ender

Chicken Lover [Level 5]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • LocationHere or there. Usually here.

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

That video made it look like it was coming straight for him. Man I would have been terrified. 

#4 Koen

Koen

Castlepedia Master

• Moderator [Mod level 2]
  • 1,758 posts
  • LocationHigh up in the Netherlands

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

I believe there were about 950 injured, around 300 of them hospitalized and 2 deaths.

#5 Dropped Your Pocket

Dropped Your Pocket

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• 4,388 posts
  • LocationMinnesnowta

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

I always knew the Russians were aliens...

Seriously, though, seeing a meteorite hit anything would be scary, must be even worse being in the area it hit.

And I'm just saying, the correct term would be meteorite, since it reached past the atmosphere.  Meteors burn up before they can get past Earth's atmosphere.

#6 Ender

Ender

Chicken Lover [Level 5]

• Members
  • 709 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

I believe there were about 950 injured, around 300 of them hospitalized and 2 deaths.

I believe most of those are from the broken glass from the sonic boom. 

#7 ChickenOffender

ChickenOffender

Chicken Lover [Level 5]

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBack from an awesome journey worth telling, but that's if you actually care. Which let's face it, you don't

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:26 AM

when i heard about it this mourning at like 7:30 or so, i heard that the injury count was something like 750 and no deaths confirmed

#8 scarabix

scarabix

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationUr haert <33

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

Looks pretty scary ...

Floods, hurricanes, heat droughts, freezing temperatures, tornados, earthquakes.

But, meteors have always been a thing, and they're not more dangerous or likely to come now than ever. And no, it doesn't get worse just because you say so. In my life I have witnessed a grand total of 0 floods, 0 hurricanes, 1 drought, 0 tornado and 1 earthquake of force 2 on the richter scale. Freezing temperatures are not a natural disaster.

It's really not going to get worse, I don't know who told you that.

#9 Tomster1000

Tomster1000

Chicken Lover [Level 3]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • LocationIn Neverland! Oh wait, Netherlands. -.-

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

Looks pretty scary ...

But, meteors have always been a thing, and they're not more dangerous or likely to come now than ever. And no, it doesn't get worse just because you say so. In my life I have witnessed a grand total of 0 floods, 0 hurricanes, 1 drought, 0 tornado and 1 earthquake of force 2 on the richter scale. Freezing temperatures are not a natural disaster.

Well, some nutcase scientists are claiming this stuff will get worse, as the temperatures on earth are going to get more and more to the extremes, which will trigger more natural disasters than before. I'm not going to mix myself in in that argument though, I'll see what happens in the near future before I'll take a place in that discussion.

It is really bad what happened there though, I'm amazed how many casualities there were, as we tend to track meteors and meteorites pretty closely, but this one managed to break through without any alerts arriving at time to evacuate. That's what I heard though, could be that they were warned before, though that wouldn't really help the case.

Let's just hope it won't get worse and that there will never be such things happening again.

#10 Oynox Slider

Oynox Slider

Hatchling [Level 2]

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

First thought I had: "The scientist need to do more division of labour" ... I was wondering why everybody was freaking out about 2012 DA14 but did not pay attention to this one.  

#11 True213

True213

Elder Chicken [Level 2]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationCastle Crashers Arena. BattleBlock Theater Muckle Games.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

Looks pretty scary ...

Well, some nutcase scientists are claiming this stuff will get worse, as the temperatures on earth are going to get more and more to the extremes, which will trigger more natural disasters than before. I'm not going to mix myself in in that argument though, I'll see what happens in the near future before I'll take a place in that discussion.

It is really bad what happened there though, I'm amazed how many casualities there were, as we tend to track meteors and meteorites pretty closely, but this one managed to break through without any alerts arriving at time to evacuate. That's what I heard though, could be that they were warned before, though that wouldn't really help the case.

Let's just hope it won't get worse and that there will never be such things happening again.

Sounds like that one show on tv that talks about one of the many ways the world could end.

And Scarabix, you are pretty lucky. My current record is 3 floods, 10 hurricanes, 5 droughts, 26 tornadoes, and 2 earthquakes. And if you count floods as natural disasters then i can say that i have seen 3 blizzards since its excessive precipitation.

#12 pickles4nickles

pickles4nickles

Chicken Lover [Level 2]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

The whole idea of a meteor impact is super spooky to me. I've been in a really small earthquake (I think it was 3.4 or something) and I can imagine what it'd be like in, say, a hurricane or a tornado... but a meteor?

A giant rock falling from the sky and causing massive damage is pretty terrifying... and pretty surreal.

#13 scarabix

scarabix

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationUr haert <33

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

Looks pretty scary ...

Sounds like that one show on tv that talks about one of the many ways the world could end.

And Scarabix, you are pretty lucky. My current record is 3 floods, 10 hurricanes, 5 droughts, 26 tornadoes, and 2 earthquakes. And if you count floods as natural disasters then i can say that i have seen 3 blizzards since its excessive precipitation.

We don't have floods, tornadoes or hurricanes in France, thanks to our geographic position, and Spain's anticyclone

The worse it can get is floods, but it only happens in the countryside and the government covers most if not all of it. My house is on a hill, so there is no way I could ever get flooded myself.

As for earthquake we never had a consequent one in a long, long time. We are also on a relatively stable part of our tectonic plate and we don't have anything to fear otherwise.

I never feared the climate or the meteors, and it's not now that I'm going to start fearing.

#14 Dropped Your Pocket

Dropped Your Pocket

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• 4,388 posts
  • LocationMinnesnowta

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

The reason scientists didn't see it is because of its size.  There are hundreds of thousands of rocks that big (Approx. 10m in diameter) in space, so it would be almost impossible to try and watch each and every one.

#15 Tomster1000

Tomster1000

Chicken Lover [Level 3]

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:07 AM

The reason scientists didn't see it is because of its size.  There are hundreds of thousands of rocks that big (Approx. 10m in diameter) in space, so it would be almost impossible to try and watch each and every one.

The issue is, if it were actually 10m in diameter, the odds are quite big that it would've been burned away before it had hit the ground. Shooting stars are nothing but meteors burning away in the atmosphere, and most of those are actually 10m in diameter. This one must've been bigger than that to reach the earth itself and cause such damage to the surroundings.

Quick quote from the CNN:

"The space agency revised its estimate of the meteor's size upward late Friday from 49 feet (15 meters) to 55 feet (17 meters), and its estimated mass from 7,000 tons to 10,000 tons."

I'll admit, that it's still small, but a bit further in the same news report it says:

"In what astronomers said was an unrelated coincidence, a larger asteroid, called 2012 DA14, passed relatively close to Earth around 2:24 p.m. ET Friday"

Let it be that they could track that asteroid, but they couldn't do that with another asteroid which was probably going to hit the earth? I'll stick to my same point, they could've been able to have at least send out an warning to that area.

#16 Ender

Ender

Chicken Lover [Level 5]

• Members
  • 709 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:39 AM

How do we know they didn't?  Besides, that stuff is unpredictable. Could have touched down anywhere. 

#17 Dropped Your Pocket

Dropped Your Pocket

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• 4,388 posts
  • LocationMinnesnowta

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

The issue is, if it were actually 10m in diameter, the odds are quite big that it would've been burned away before it had hit the ground. Shooting stars are nothing but meteors burning away in the atmosphere, and most of those are actually 10m in diameter. This one must've been bigger than that to reach the earth itself and cause such damage to the surroundings.

"The space agency revised its estimate of the meteor's size upward late Friday from 49 feet (15 meters) to 55 feet (17 meters), and its estimated mass from 7,000 tons to 10,000 tons."

I'll admit, that it's still small, but a bit further in the same news report it says:

"In what astronomers said was an unrelated coincidence, a larger asteroid, called 2012 DA14, passed relatively close to Earth around 2:24 p.m. ET Friday"

Let it be that they could track that asteroid, but they couldn't do that with another asteroid which was probably going to hit the earth? I'll stick to my same point, they could've been able to have at least send out an warning to that area.

The problem is that to an extent, you're wrong.  The thing that determines whether or not a meteor would burn up in the atmosphere or not is based on what it's comprised of.  The meteor 15m in diameter would burn up if made up of just stone.  However, a meteor 5m in diameter would be practically untouched if it were made of a metal, such as iron.  Size is practically irrelevant in this situation, it's all about what the meteor (or in this case, meteorite) is comprised of.  It's not like the scientists saw this and were like "Hey...that things headed towards Russia!  Muahahaha...MUAHAHAHAHA!!!".  They just don't have the time or manpower to track every rock flying through space that's over 5m in diameter to make sure they won't cause us any harm.

#18 Tomster1000

Tomster1000

Chicken Lover [Level 3]

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

The problem is that to an extent, you're wrong.  The thing that determines whether or not a meteor would burn up in the atmosphere or not is based on what it's comprised of.  The meteor 15m in diameter would burn up if made up of just stone.  However, a meteor 5m in diameter would be practically untouched if it were made of a metal, such as iron.  Size is practically irrelevant in this situation, it's all about what the meteor (or in this case, meteorite) is comprised of.  It's not like the scientists saw this and were like "Hey...that things headed towards Russia!  Muahahaha...MUAHAHAHAHA!!!".  They just don't have the time or manpower to track every rock flying through space that's over 5m in diameter to make sure they won't cause us any harm.

I agree, yes, I might've been a bit unprecise about what I said there. I am aware that size is not the biggest factor in whether it would hit the earth or not, but it does matter in how easy it is to track. The fact that there was a "unrelated asteroid" passing by at that moment, could've been at least a reason to give a message like: "Hey people, some kinda asteroid just flung by pretty close, there could've been some debris flying down from it. Perhaps it is wise to keep an eye out over there.".

Ofcourse, I'm just a 17-year old prick, lacking full knowledge of the subject, but that's also why I joined this discussion, just so I could learn more about it, in a somewhat friendly enviroment. I try to share the knowledge I do have and sometimes I'm a bit off, but I hope I'm at least bringing a good new perspective on the case.

#19 Turkey

Turkey

Elder Chicken [Level 4]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • LocationChoir Boy not confirmed yet? THE DREAM IS DEAD

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:52 PM

This is actually fascinating to me in terms of people affected. Even though a huge number of people were injured, only a single digit of people actually died. It could have been a hell of a lot more worse.

Edited by Turkey, 17 February 2013 - 11:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users