Random Crit/instadeath RUINING insane mode solo experience.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FacTheory_*

Guest_FacTheory_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:40 AM

I cant tell you how much I loved this game. I got no less than 4 of my friends to buy it and have praised it repeatedly at mlgpro.com, the forums for the professional Halo league where I have been a moderator for about 4 years (2 million+ registered users). I loved this game, I really did. At this moment however, I am so incredibly frustrated with it that I want to tell everyone I know to not even bother playing it.

To begin this, I love hard games. I'm old school, I played thru Zelda, Contra etc when they were popular so I know what crazy hard and frustrating games are like. I actually enjoy them - WHEN THEY'RE NOT RANDOM. So when I saw "insane mode" I was eager to give it a shot. It was cool and I enjoyed it a lot, up until the Troll Boss at Thieves forest. (I have a maxed out Blue Knight, bout level 86 at the moment.)

Please, I absolutely NEED a developer to answer two questions for me. I NEED these questions answered for the love of God.

1. Why, WHY, WHYYY is the damage dealt by opponents not consistent? Three times now I have managed to get the troll boss down to nothing left, only to have one of his little troll minions deal an instant death blow to me when I have nearly full health. Literally - one of them whacked me and I saw a red -726, then the next time a -760. Instant death for no apparent reason. WHY? WHY program this randomness into the game? Random elements RUIN games.

VIDEO LINK

I LIKE hard games but I want my death to be MY FAULT. WHY does the game randomly choose a time for a hit that normally does -71 to do -760? That makes no sense and it has absolutely ruined, RUINED[!] my desire to continue playing this game. Note: none of the 3 times this has happened has the CRIT! thing been on my screen, its just been random -700 hits that have instantly killed me, every time when I've had many health potions left, which brings me to my next question.

2. Why instantly apply health potions upon dying in co-op but not in single player? If your game is going to randomly kill me when I have full health, you can at least do me the courtesy of letting me use one of my potions before I instantly die in solo mode. I just got the troll boss down to nothing with 4 potions left FOUR, and some troll hit me once for instant death. So frustrating, I cant imagine why you guys did this in a game that otherwise has outstanding replay value.

I'm literally disgusted with this game at the moment. I find that very, VERY sad considering I held this game in such high esteem so recently. As I said, Ive recommended it to so many of my friends. Random frustrating crap is exactly what ruined the Halo series, but thats a different discussion entirely.

ps- forum-goers, please dont tell me "just play with friends"... I do and I have. Im doing this for personal pride. Someone said that insane mode solo was "impossible" so Im doing it for me. I have plenty of people to play with, I want to do this alone. Its too bad Behemoth apparently doesnt want me to -_- I'd love an explanation on how random elements somehow add to the fun of a game. Funny, "buy somethin will ya?" pops up so soon in the game, but not one Zelda enemy ever did anything but 100% consistent damage.I never wondered why I died in a Zelda game.... sooo, why fix what's not broken?!!

- FacTheory, a fanatic turned critic, eagerly waiting an explanation.

#2 II xDEVOURx II

II xDEVOURx II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 06:06 AM

This game has a couple of major problems that need to be fixed immediately and they're making a Update/DLC ASAP to fix a lot of those problems. Hopefully they'll fix your problem.

#3 wmaxham

wmaxham

Chicken Lover [Level 1]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 06:07 AM

I cant tell you how much I loved this game. I got no less than 4 of my friends to buy it and have praised it repeatedly at mlgpro.com, the forums for the professional Halo league where I have been a moderator for about 4 years (2 million+ registered users). I loved this game, I really did. At this moment however, I am so incredibly frustrated with it that I want to tell everyone I know to not even bother playing it.

To begin this, I love hard games. I'm old school, I played thru Zelda, Contra etc when they were popular so I know what crazy hard and frustrating games are like. I actually enjoy them - WHEN THEY'RE NOT RANDOM. So when I saw "insane mode" I was eager to give it a shot. It was cool and I enjoyed it a lot, up until the Troll Boss at Thieves forest. (I have a maxed out Blue Knight, bout level 86 at the moment.)

Please, I absolutely NEED a developer to answer two questions for me. I NEED these questions answered for the love of God.

1. Why, WHY, WHYYY is the damage dealt by opponents not consistent? Three times now I have managed to get the troll boss down to nothing left, only to have one of his little troll minions deal an instant death blow to me when I have nearly full health. Literally - one of them whacked me and I saw a red -726, then the next time a -760. Instant death for no apparent reason. WHY? WHY program this randomness into the game? Random elements RUIN games.

I LIKE hard games but I want my death to be MY FAULT. WHY does the game randomly choose a time for a hit that normally does -71 to do -760? That makes no sense and it has absolutely ruined, RUINED[!] my desire to continue playing this game. Note: none of the 3 times this has happened has the CRIT! thing been on my screen, its just been random -700 hits that have instantly killed me, every time when I've had many health potions left, which brings me to my next question.

2. Why instantly apply health potions upon dying in co-op but not in single player? If your game is going to randomly kill me when I have full health, you can at least do me the courtesy of letting me use one of my potions before I instantly die in solo mode. I just got the troll boss down to nothing with 4 potions left FOUR, and some troll hit me once for instant death. So frustrating, I cant imagine why you guys did this in a game that otherwise has outstanding replay value.

I'm literally disgusted with this game at the moment. I find that very, VERY sad considering I held this game in such high esteem so recently. As I said, Ive recommended it to so many of my friends. Random frustrating crap is exactly what ruined the Halo series, but thats a different discussion entirely.

ps- forum-goers, please dont tell me "just play with friends"... I do and I have. Im doing this for personal pride. Someone said that insane mode solo was "impossible" so Im doing it for me. I have plenty of people to play with, I want to do this alone. Its too bad Behemoth apparently doesnt want me to -_- I'd love an explanation on how random elements somehow add to the fun of a game. Funny, "buy somethin will ya?" pops up so soon in the game, but not one Zelda enemy ever did anything but 100% consistent damage.I never wondered why I died in a Zelda game.... sooo, why fix what's not broken?!!

- FacTheory, a fanatic turned critic, eagerly waiting an explanation.

im right there with you on the insane in solo. and yes the glitches are very frusterating. and i really hope there will be an animle orb that will auto potion for us on solo in DLC. but i could only pray. and even if u get past that. there are alot of one hit bosses that are really gay. but yeah. blue knight is a reall good multiplaying knight, but solo is tough. but your best bet is to get it to 99. ur health goes up to about 900 something. u should be fine after that. but yeah. try it after the update comes out. they should have that fixed up. hopefully.

#4 fantasticninja

fantasticninja

Chicken Lover [Level 1]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 06:10 AM

Those trolls never did that much damage when I solved that level on insane. I think they did around 78 to me but if there was a lot of them they'd hit me so u couldn't move and I'd die. No 760 point hit though.

#5 Guest_FacTheory_*

Guest_FacTheory_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2008 - 06:19 AM

Those trolls never did that much damage when I solved that level on insane. I think they did around 78 to me but if there was a lot of them they'd hit me so u couldn't move and I'd die. No 760 point hit though.

I have a capture card, Ive made quite a few Halo montages... I could most certainly prove it's happening with video footage, I just didnt think it was necessary. Take my word for it, it was a random hit from a regular troll. Ive watched it happen 3 times now. I'm not mistaking this for something else.

#6 wmaxham

wmaxham

Chicken Lover [Level 1]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 06:21 AM

yeah a video would be a good idea. just to show the devs so they could fix it better.

#7 Gerk

Gerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:37 AM

2. Why instantly apply health potions upon dying in co-op but not in single player?

Serious answer to a facetious question: To prevent players from exploiting the CPR maneuver and just hoarding the health potions for whenever's "convenient". (Note that if you're the last man alive in a co-op game, you still have to use your potions manually.)

As for the topic at hand though, I agree with you 110% on the deathblow crit issue. At the very least, there should be a damage cap applied to them come patch time.

#8 Guest_cheezemasta_*

Guest_cheezemasta_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2008 - 03:10 PM

I'm glad this post was made! I am having the exact same issue with insane mode. I have been trying to go through it playing alone and when I get to the troll boss the same thing has happened to me. I also have been caught up by a whole bunch and just killed unmercifully. I've actually had the random critical attack thing kill me when I wasn't on a boss. I'm playing through the insane mode with a level 70 right now and have been really honing my skills.

Anyways, I don't want to just sit here and complain. I think this game is friggin ridiculously awesome! I haven't been able to play a great 2d side scroller like this in a looooong time.

I wonder what is going to be implemented in the update? I patiently will wait and see!

#9 Guest_FacTheory_*

Guest_FacTheory_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2008 - 03:46 PM

I'm glad this post was made! I am having the exact same issue with insane mode. I have been trying to go through it playing alone and when I get to the troll boss the same thing has happened to me. I also have been caught up by a whole bunch and just killed unmercifully.

I've had that happen too but it doesnt bother me so much, thats the way the game is supposed to work on insane mode if you let enough of them surround you. I've learned to avoid it pretty well but I cant avoid the random instadeath hits. I'm glad someone else shares my frustration tho, maybe they're reconsider this WHOLLY unnecessary random feature. I simply dont understand how inconsistency ever ADDS anything to a game. And even tho my experiences have not been the regular enemy CRIT! hits ....who has ever gotten hit by the normal seemingly random CRIT attacks and wasnt a little irritated? What does that possibly add to the gameplay? Sorry for ranting, its just that I do really like this game and Im mad I found something about it that really pisses me off.

edit: I'm HOPING that the fact that my thread was moved to "technical issues" means that what Im talking about actually is a bug and not intended -_- I was under the impression this was an intentional feature of the game so I didnt post it here.

#10 Otisbum

Otisbum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:15 PM

but your best bet is to get it to 99. ur health goes up to about 900 something. u should be fine after that. but yeah. try it after the update comes out. they should have that fixed up. hopefully.

I'm level 82 and my health is around 1100, so yeah, 99 will be a bit higher. ;)

Even then, the Volcano and Industrial castles are extremely hard with just one partner. You literally have to dodge 75% of attacks just to survive. Nothing wrong with that, but it does get tough.

As far as potions not auto-healing in single player, I really hope they fix that soon, since solo Troll-boosting would be so much easier.

#11 SamuelMarston

SamuelMarston

Hatchling [Level 5]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 06:26 PM

Try playing with a friend. It really helps on the Insane Troll Boss.

I can't solo Insane mode, so I get my friends to help.

#12 Guest_FacTheory_*

Guest_FacTheory_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:43 AM

Try playing with a friend. It really helps on the Insane Troll Boss.

I can't solo Insane mode, so I get my friends to help.

I know my post was "long," but read the last paragaph, please.

And I actually finally manged to beat him with my Blue Knight at level 93. I'd still like to see these questions addressed tho, if possible.

#13 Robinator208

Robinator208

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:03 AM

im right there with you on the insane in solo. and yes the glitches are very frusterating. and i really hope there will be an animle orb that will auto potion for us on solo in DLC. but i could only pray. and even if u get past that. there are alot of one hit bosses that are really gay. but yeah. blue knight is a reall good multiplaying knight, but solo is tough. but your best bet is to get it to 99. ur health goes up to about 900 something. u should be fine after that. but yeah. try it after the update comes out. they should have that fixed up. hopefully.

Hmm, that animal orb sounds like a pretty good idea, oh and by the way the health you have at 99 is about 1,000 something :lol: .

#14 THX7168

THX7168

Hatchling [Level 3]

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:17 AM

The name suits it. It really is insane. I personally couldn't pass the Troll boss on my own. I had to get a couple of buddies.

Just wait until you get to the higher levels. Each enemy gives 300+ damage per hit. They literally can kill you in just about three hits. Pipistrello is crazy. One hit from his tounge gives 999 damage.

I really wish they would let you buy more than just five potions.

#15 Guest_FacTheory_*

Guest_FacTheory_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:19 PM

The name suits it. It really is insane. I personally couldn't pass the Troll boss on my own. I had to get a couple of buddies.

Just wait until you get to the higher levels. Each enemy gives 300+ damage per hit. They literally can kill you in just about three hits. Pipistrello is crazy. One hit from his tounge gives 999 damage.

I really wish they would let you buy more than just five potions.

Im really okay with that tho, like i said it reminds me of old school NES games that are just as hard if not harder. (Ironically, Im on Pipistrello now, he's not hard, just time consuming. Gotta keep your distance.) I just want to know what to expect and be able to blame all my deaths on myself. I played again last night and I beat that troll sob, finally, but not before I got randomly screwed over again. AND I capped it this time, just so Behemoth could see that I wasnt making this up.

It was a little less obvious than when it happened before cause this time I was taking hits from multiple guys but I threw a video together real quickly last night to show it more clearly. And lucky me, this forum allows youtube embedding:

Behemoth : Was this programmed in intentionally or is it a mistake? Your moderators DID move my thread from the main CC forum to "technical issues." If it's a bug, for the love of god, fix it with the title update. If it was intentional, then I see it as pure, unadulterated fail - plain and simple. It's random and unfair.

Edit: now that I watch the vid again, it looks more like 769, not 760. It was late at night and I was tired. Irrelevant tho.

#16 Denivire

Denivire

Moderator [mod level 2]

• Moderator [Mod level 1]
  • 4,012 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:14 PM

Okay, now that's a very interesting find. :shock:
I have to see for myself if this happens to me (In comparison to the video, I'm really good at juggling).

Should also forward this to Kelly to inform the rest of the team.

#17 Guest_FacTheory_*

Guest_FacTheory_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:57 PM

Okay, now that's a very interesting find. :shock:
I have to see for myself if this happens to me (In comparison to the video, I'm really good at juggling).

Should also forward this to Kelly to inform the rest of the team.

You can try it for yourself, its happened to me no less than 5 or 6 times. It doesnt happen every time tho, Ive played that guy probably 20 times now. And yea I may have missed a juggle but thats no reason to brag ;) I just happened to capture my one moment of fail for posterity, lol. Usually its just one little guy behind me who comes up and instakills me for what seems like no reason at all.

Aaaand, I hope you dont mean that I need to take further action.... If you could direct this Kelly person to my thread Id appreciate it...I just signed up here, lol. My venting is done for the moment.

#18 Guest_FacTheory_*

Guest_FacTheory_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:58 PM

2 year old BUMP.

Was this ever fixed?

#19 Zugama

Zugama

Ultra-Member !!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,818 posts
  • LocationSomewhere not-so over the rainbow

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:40 AM

I don't know, but it has never happened to me. When I got this game, (Christmas day) it came with an update. Because this never happened to me, and when I got the game there was an update, they might have fixed it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users