#1 Ligusaka

Ligusaka

Hatchling [Level 4]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationSoviet Russia

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:41 PM

Dec. 21, 2012 is the day that the Earth, Sun, and Centre of the Galaxy line up. There are many theories stating that an apocalyptic event will happen then. What's your opinion?---Edit: On April 24th, I found a new theory from a tribal religion stating that there were 4 great worlds, each ending with a great disaster. Suposedly, the end of the fourth world followed by a fifth is on 2012. Fact or Fiction? p.s, I never thought this would be so controversial lawlz.
Edit again: Maybe this could be stickied lul? It's getting a lot of replies.... and posts from 3 different mods...

#2 Roy-G-Biv

Roy-G-Biv

Moderator [mod level 2]

• Moderator [Mod level 2]
  • 6,860 posts
  • LocationLocation?

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:50 AM

The world'll end when the sun runs out.

#3 Red Knight

Red Knight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:56 AM

^Truth above.

#4 Night Raider

Night Raider

Chicken Lover [Level 5]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • LocationDefending my buckets from Badgers

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:57 AM

The sun won't run out for a long long time

#5 Cerebral noob

Cerebral noob

Chicken Lover [Level 4]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:59 AM

No one knows where the center of the galaxy is. And a bunch of nut jobs from before the middle ages thought so, that automatically makes you think so to. Also, the Mayan calender was very different from ours. Stupid people for some reason gather around other stupid people, and believe what they have to say.
(And best selling writers who write books about this want to make money off of it, there a 98% chance they don't believe in it either.)

#6 Ligusaka

Ligusaka

Hatchling [Level 4]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationSoviet Russia

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:24 AM

No one knows where the center of the galaxy is. And a bunch of nut jobs from before the middle ages thought so, that automatically makes you think so to. Also, the Mayan calender was very different from ours. Stupid people for some reason gather around other stupid people, and believe what they have to say.
(And best selling writers who write books about this want to make money off of it, there a 98% chance they don't believe in it either.)

Actually the center of the galaxy is known, you probably ment the universe, right?

#7 Roy-G-Biv

Roy-G-Biv

Moderator [mod level 2]

• Moderator [Mod level 2]
  • 6,860 posts
  • LocationLocation?

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:28 AM

Actually the center of the galaxy is known, you probably ment the universe, right?

Where is this center of the galaxy?
I assume it's the sun?
amirite?

#8 Ligusaka

Ligusaka

Hatchling [Level 4]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationSoviet Russia

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:46 AM

Where is this center of the galaxy?
I assume it's the sun?
amirite?

Sorry lulz, the sun is the centre of our solar system... the galaxy is made up of billions of solar systems. The universe is made up of possibly an infinite number of galaxies. You are past 5th grade right lol? (jk)

#9 HeavyHorse

HeavyHorse

Chicken Lover [Level 3]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:09 AM

Ligusaka, I literally just spent 5 minutes sitting here watching your sig. Funny stuff.

Anyways bout the end of the world, I think we'll be fine. Then again, I'd rather not think about it and live the years we got, rather than spending them on worrying about the end of the world. Make sense?

EDIT: Fixed bad typo...actually does makes sense now.

#10 LocoCrazy

LocoCrazy

Hatchling [Level 5]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:38 AM

The meaning of this planet is to hold life. it is doing its nobel duty and will continue to do so past the year 2012

#11 RedXxXBuddha

RedXxXBuddha

Elder Chicken [Level 1]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationWhat is location?

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:06 AM

Ligusaka, I literally just spent 5 minutes sitting here watching your sig. Funny stuff.

i know i was watching that too :lol:

#12 BekindR3wind

BekindR3wind

Chicken Lover [Level 3]

• Members
  • 313 posts
  • LocationAt my computer, or my Xbox

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:23 AM

Off topic: "o noes i got a depression!"
On topic: Mayans aren't geniuses. (Correct spelling?)

#13 MRvister

MRvister

Elder Chicken [Level 4]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:26 AM

If the big bang theory is true, then I'm pretty sure the universe has a defined end and there is just space beyond it. Personally I believe in a closed universe, whereas the universe will eventually contract back into a singularity.

If the universe is infinite, then how can it have a center?

Oh, Mayans ARE geniuses by the way.

#14 Yukinari

Yukinari

Elder Chicken [Level 1]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:59 PM

Unless you are one, and can give proof other than the proof people have told us about mayans before, then you have no right to say that they arent any smarter than a potato.

#15 Bloob

Bloob

Ultra-Member !!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,307 posts
  • LocationπŸ…Έ'πŸ…Ό πŸ…ΈπŸ…½ πŸ†ˆπŸ…ΎπŸ†„πŸ† πŸ…°πŸ†πŸ…΄πŸ…° (πŸ…Έ πŸ…ΊπŸ…½πŸ…ΎπŸ†† πŸ†ƒπŸ…·πŸ…΄ πŸ…΅πŸ…ΈπŸ†πŸ†‚πŸ†ƒ πŸ†ƒπŸ…·πŸ†πŸ…΄πŸ…΄ πŸ…½πŸ†„πŸ…ΌπŸ…±πŸ…΄πŸ†πŸ†‚)

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:13 PM

I would have to agree with that statement :lol:

#16 David Duffy

David Duffy

Chicken Lover [Level 5]

• Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:38 PM

The statement itself is kind of ridiculous. Why would stuff lining up do jack poop? Also, the world ending is a tricky topic. The end of human life on Earth could be caused by anything, ranging from a Nuclear war to a meteorite, although I suspect some creatures will survive it. Planets are harder to actually destroy, but they can become lifeless husks. When the sun gets itself used up and turns into a red dwarf we're all screwed because the processes involved in a star dying mean it gets really hot then really cold. But that probably won't happen for billions of years.

(Hopefully)

#17 lunchbox820

lunchbox820

Chicken Lover [Level 1]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:54 PM

Just to clear something up. Regardless of whether the world is ending and not paying any attention to the mayans or anything.

We do know where the galactic center is. I think people are getting that confused with the universal center which we do not know, because we cannot prove if the universe is infinite or finite. However the galactic center is the rotational center of our galaxy the Milky Way. A supermassive blackhole or holes is at the center of our universe and it has been studied via radio and gamma telescopes.

On topic now with the whole 2012 thing. World isn't ending. But based on scientific evidence and not Mayan calender's or Nostradamus. There is going to be a record amount of solar activity and radiation being shot at us, because it is in 2012 when the sun reaches its peak known as solar maximum in its 11 year cycle. Its not going to turn the earth into a smoldering ember but it does get angry enough so that it has the potential to fock with our satellites, communications, and power grids.

#18 lunchbox820

lunchbox820

Chicken Lover [Level 1]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:02 PM

The statement itself is kind of ridiculous. Why would stuff lining up do jack poop? Also, the world ending is a tricky topic. The end of human life on Earth could be caused by anything, ranging from a Nuclear war to a meteorite, although I suspect some creatures will survive it. Planets are harder to actually destroy, but they can become lifeless husks. When the sun gets itself used up and turns into a red dwarf we're all screwed because the processes involved in a star dying mean it gets really hot then really cold. But that probably won't happen for billions of years.

(Hopefully)

Yeah when the sun actually dies it will swell up large enough to actually engulf earth and the subsequent planets before us. But we'll have burned up long before it gets that large.

And as for our sining lining up on the galactic plane, its just more fuel for the armaggedon theorists. Its all just a whole bunch of events that coincidentially are occuring in the same month, so people panic. Its going to be another Y2K.

There is so many "theories" as to whats happening such as but not limited to; Deadly gamma ray burst, Deadly solar flares, Polar shift, Planet X/Asteroid returning.

It has also been said that the Mayan calender ending can be interpreted sooo many different ways. There is another whole group of crazy people that say it doesn't signify doomsday, just the end of an age, and in 2012 we will enter a new age of enlightenment or there will be miracles of some kind.

I think they just got lazy and decided, eh this i far enough. =P

#19 Mike Cruz!

Mike Cruz!

Chicken Lover [Level 5]

• Members
  • 675 posts
  • LocationThe HART of Michigan

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:04 PM

All I know is that in 2012 something big is goin to happen. whether that be the end of the world or enlightnement round the world. I like to think it's gonna be something magnificent rather than the end of us all.

#20 mechazeep

mechazeep

Ultra-Member !!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,422 posts
  • LocationIn a 90's music video

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:08 PM

Im pretty sure that was predicted around 3000.
Anyway, The myans never predicted this was the end of the world.The calender ends there but it dosent say its the end of the world. It could be something earth shattering like finally coming incontact with Aleins! Myabe the day we are able to live on Mar! Stuff like that.

#21 HeavyHorse

HeavyHorse

Chicken Lover [Level 3]

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:13 PM

What will kill us first, the huge blackhole or the mayan mystery box?!

MYSTERY BOX!!!

#22 Mr.Nature72

Mr.Nature72

Elder Chicken [Level 2]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:25 PM

look, to me, the world ends when it ends.
And for all i know it ends tommorow, so i live life like it will.
I dont really care when it ends, i just whant to have a clear consience and a good, hearty mood when it does.

#23 MRvister

MRvister

Elder Chicken [Level 4]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:31 PM

Unless you are one, and can give proof other than the proof people have told us about mayans before, then you have no right to say that they arent any smarter than a potato.

What?

I could just say that most people have the right to say that Einstein isn't any smarter than a potato, unless you know him or give proof other than the proof people have told us about Einstein before.

I don't get it. I'm confused. :?

When it came to mathematics, time and calendars, the Maya were geniuses.

http://www.mayanindi...n-calendar.html

#24 Cerebral noob

Cerebral noob

Chicken Lover [Level 4]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:14 PM

Posted Image

Solved it, now this topic can die.

#25 Mike Cruz!

Mike Cruz!