#26 XeroKnight

XeroKnight

Chicken Lover [Level 1]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:38 PM

I definitely don't think anything will happen on December 21, 2012. First off, the Mayan calendar never stated anything about the world ending, or something apocalyptic happening, when their calendar ending. In fact, they were supposed to celebrate it when it happened. Also, people thought the world was going to end when New Year's Eve 1999, Y2K, came around, and nothing did happen.

#27 yodawgy911

yodawgy911

Hatchling [Level 5]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:26 AM

The world'll end when the sun runs out.

Im pretty sure that was predicted around 3000.
Anyway, The myans never predicted this was the end of the world.The calender ends there but it dosent say its the end of the world. It could be something earth shattering like finally coming incontact with Aleins! Myabe the day we are able to live on Mar! Stuff like that.

first of all not 3000! Scientist say the sun will expand into a giant red flaming ball called a red giant and then explode and then turn into a black hole in about maybe the year of 3,400,000,000. The smaller the sun the longer it last.
Second The reason why it ends in 2012 it because they dicided not to make it longer. Not like they had time to make it all the way to the year of 3,400,000,000. Remeber just enjoy life and dont worry! P.S mechazeep could be right. and im going to read about this a little bit more.

#28 MRvister

MRvister

Elder Chicken [Level 4]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:24 AM

The world'll end when the sun runs out.

Im pretty sure that was predicted around 3000.
Anyway, The myans never predicted this was the end of the world.The calender ends there but it dosent say its the end of the world. It could be something earth shattering like finally coming incontact with Aleins! Myabe the day we are able to live on Mar! Stuff like that.

first of all not 3000! Scientist say the sun will expand into a giant red flaming ball called a red giant and then explode and then turn into a black hole in about maybe the year of 3,400,000,000. The smaller the sun the longer it last.
SecondThe reason why it ends in 2012 it because they dicided not to make it longer. Not like they had time to make it all the way to the year of 3,400,000,000. Remeber just enjoy life and dont worry! P.S mechazeep could be right. and im going to read about this a little bit more.

Only if it reaches a certain solar mass..

Decided not to make it longer? They would have had a better reason than that. Our earth will be scorched before the sun even ends its life. The one thing I definitely agree on is when the sun is going to end. I have no idea how Mecha came up with the year 3000.

#29 Darkshadow1215

Darkshadow1215

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,249 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:33 AM

I hope it doesn't end in 2012. That's my graduation year. :roll:

But I don't believe the sun will be the end of us. If the world did end, I would think that we would destroy ourselves through a nuclear war or something along those lines.

If the big bang theory is true, then I'm pretty sure the universe has a defined end and there is just space beyond it. Personally I believe in a closed universe, whereas the universe will eventually contract back into a singularity.

I don't believe in the big bang theory either though. It would make sense that the universe never had a beginning.. it just always existed the way it was and has maintained itself.

#30 Bloob

Bloob

Ultra-Member !!!!!!!!

• Members
  • 5,233 posts
  • LocationπŸ…Έ'πŸ…Ό πŸ…ΈπŸ…½ πŸ†ˆπŸ…ΎπŸ†„πŸ† πŸ…°πŸ†πŸ…΄πŸ…° (πŸ…Έ πŸ…ΊπŸ…½πŸ…ΎπŸ†† πŸ†ƒπŸ…·πŸ…΄ πŸ…΅πŸ…ΈπŸ†πŸ†‚πŸ†ƒ πŸ†ƒπŸ…·πŸ†πŸ…΄πŸ…΄ πŸ…½πŸ†„πŸ…ΌπŸ…±πŸ…΄πŸ†πŸ†‚)

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:02 AM

A show about the end of the world was on history channel about a week ago that showed the top 7 ways the world is most likely to end.
Number 7 was a black hole, Number 6 was a super-volcano, and number 1 was global warming. I didn't watch most of it :P

#31 MRvister

MRvister

Elder Chicken [Level 4]

• Members
  • 2,190 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:31 AM

But I don't believe the sun will be the end of us. If the world did end, I would think that we would destroy ourselves through a nuclear war or something along those lines.

If the big bang theory is true, then I'm pretty sure the universe has a defined end and there is just space beyond it. Personally I believe in a closed universe, whereas the universe will eventually contract back into a singularity.

I don't believe in the big bang theory either though. It would make sense that the universe never had a beginning.. it just always existed the way it was and has maintained itself.

No, closed universe would mean that the big bang theory is true, some evidence is the Cosmic Microwave Background radiation. The Big Bang theory starts off with a singularity, and the Closed Universe theory has it ending with a singularity.

Why doesn't the big bang theory make sense?

#32 LungsnLivers

LungsnLivers

Chicken Lover [Level 1]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:58 AM

The universe gets bigger and bigger. Distance between stars and planet gets bigger etc. So it's most likely that everything started with a huge explosion, which is basically still in progress. Now I always thought that gravity will slow down the expansion of the universe, and so it'll start to collapse. This way everything starts with singularity, end with singularity, and most start all over. Looping an eternity. :| But this is what I think.

#33 MRvister

MRvister

Elder Chicken [Level 4]

• Members
  • 2,190 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:30 AM

The universe gets bigger and bigger. Distance between stars and planet gets bigger etc. So it's most likely that everything started with a huge explosion, which is basically still in progress. Now I always thought that gravity will slow down the expansion of the universe, and so it'll start to collapse. This way everything starts with singularity, end with singularity, and most start all over. Looping an eternity. :| But this is what I think.

This. Big bang and closed universe. :lol:

#34 ChickenHounk911

ChickenHounk911

Moderator [mod level 2]

• Moderator [Mod level 1]
  • 970 posts
  • LocationSo close, no matter how far...

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:46 PM

There may some truth to this conspiracy.... it will involve the sun:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... years.html

yikes!

#35 Chris

Chris

Moderator [mod level 1]

• Moderator [Mod level 2]
  • 6,053 posts
  • LocationJolly ol' England

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:15 PM

The Daily Mail article is no big deal. We used to have that paper delivered...but over the past few years it has become unreliable and began to encourage absolutely ridiculous theories such as this

For example, the first picture you see in that article will look nothing will look like it would in real life :lol:

I'm not completely ruling it out and it could be possible. But highly unlikely. We have seen many idiotic theories such as this posted all over the internet over the past few years...apparently more and more people are actually starting to believe this is the end :roll:

Rule no.1: Don't believe everything you see on the internet

Thats where this whole thing began...the internet... (http://www.giagia.co...calympics-2012/) Someone heard this 'Mayan Prophecy', most likely panicked, and decided to post it onto the internet. A pretty place where anyone is open to believe anything

There is little science behind the whole thing (considering it was originally a prophecy) as many other 'theories' such as these have also been said to happen and 'proven' by science (The Millennium Bug, for example), none of which happened :roll:

Space is mysterious and unknown...we cannot foresee such unlikely events with the, still limited, knowledge and we have of Space.

The Sun, more so, as we may believe that it has it's own 'cycles' and whatnot...but we have never studied it first-hand, as a race. How can we ever be sure of what will happen?

#36 Zugama

Zugama

Ultra-Member !!!!!!!!

• Members
  • 4,818 posts
  • LocationSomewhere not-so over the rainbow

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:22 PM

You just said the magic words. ;)

#37 Denivire

Denivire

Moderator [mod level 2]

• Moderator [Mod level 1]
  • 4,012 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 April 2009 - 01:14 AM

This. Big bang and closed universe. :lol:

Another word choice for closed universe, the one most likely used over it, is Big Crunch. Also,if there was such an event to take place, it'd take place when everything starts to contract back into singularity, which mathematically speaking should take roughly the same amount of time it takes for it to reach it's maximum expanse.
That in place, we're all gonna die by the sun exploding before we die from the "Big Crunch".

#38 DesertThug

DesertThug

Elder Chicken [Level 1]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 25 April 2009 - 03:12 AM

2012 is just going to be another "Great Disappointment" and as said before the Mayans never stated the world would end, they just never finished probably due to disease brought over to them.

#39 Chris

Chris

Moderator [mod level 1]

• 6,053 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 10:59 AM

There could be a wide range of reasons for why the Mayan Calender was never finished, like the one stated above

I blame 2 things for this idiotic prophecy getting out of hand.

> The News Tabloids

> The Internet

#40 B1ll1amH

B1ll1amH

Chicken Lover [Level 3]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:06 PM

The world will end when the .gif in the OP's signature restarts.

#41 Ligusaka

Ligusaka

Hatchling [Level 4]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationSoviet Russia

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:20 AM

My information is based on shows seen on the "history channel" on tv, not the internet, just fyi. this still doesn't mean its true though.... or does it?

#42 Babbity_Rabbity

Babbity_Rabbity

Ultra-Member !!!!!!!!

• Members
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationReaver's Rear Passage

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:24 AM

If you actually believe this, you need to learn about the real world.

#43 Chris

Chris

Moderator [mod level 1]

• 6,053 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:38 AM

f you actually believe this, you need to learn about the real world.

Seconded ;)

#44 Mike Cruz!

Mike Cruz!

Chicken Lover [Level 5]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • LocationThe HART of Michigan

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:05 PM

You just said the magic words. ;)

Actually I watched all this stuff on the history channel.

#45 Chris

Chris

Moderator [mod level 1]

• 6,053 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:25 PM

The producers of that show went to visit the Mayan temples first hand to take a look. Needless to say what they found gave inconclusive evidence. The ruins still don't explain whether this prophecy will fulfill itself or not now, do they? :roll:

We do not have enough knowledge of the stars and planets (or much of space, for that matter (I should know, I'm studying to become an Astrophysicist :D)) to start predicting what will happen based on quirky patterns and crackpot prophecies, prophecies that bear no scientific basis what-so-ever :roll:

Anything you see/ hear something that supposedly 'proves' that the prophecy will happen is actually, untrue. Not even NASA have a good enough amount of knowledge to predict the Sun's movements and tendencies.

Today's technology only goes so far, dood :|

#46 Mike Cruz!

Mike Cruz!

Chicken Lover [Level 5]

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:04 PM

I just think it will be kind of neat if sumthing BIG happened dec 21st 2010. maybe mankind can get a second chance on this here planet.

#47 Chris

Chris

Moderator [mod level 1]

• 6,053 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:12 PM

I just think it will be kind of neat if sumthing BIG happened dec 21st 2010. maybe mankind can get a second chance on this here planet.

The thing is, if this were to happen then it wouldn't even mean the end of the world

Sources say that if anything were to happen (which it won't), then it will most likely be a massive electrical discharge released from the Sun. This will then damage almost all power circuits in the world

No electrical power, no defense systems, no internet, no communication. As a world we have progressed so much in technology we have become more vulnerable, if we lose electrical power, then we are all at a loss

Which is kind of a bummer :| ...then again, I don't think mankind deserves a second chance

Wait...whut? 2010? Don't you mean 2012?

#48 Darkshadow1215

Darkshadow1215

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • 3,249 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:15 PM

No, closed universe would mean that the big bang theory is true, some evidence is the Cosmic Microwave Background radiation. The Big Bang theory starts off with a singularity, and the Closed Universe theory has it ending with a singularity.

Why doesn't the big bang theory make sense?

The big bang theory states that the entire universe was contained in a single particle, and then it exploded and released everything, and it is still rapidly growing today, or something along those lines.

Where did the original single particle come from? :|

#49 Chris

Chris

Moderator [mod level 1]

• 6,053 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:24 PM

Thar was no 'original particle. The universe was the size of a particle at that time though :lol:

Then a sudden chain reaction caused it to expand, and viola! We haz the universe...lulz

Tis' still expanding to date...which is whaur the Big Crunch theory comes into play :ninja:

#50 Mike Cruz!

Mike Cruz!

Chicken Lover [Level 5]

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:01 PM

The thing is, if this were to happen then it wouldn't even mean the end of the world

Sources say that if anything were to happen (which it won't), then it will most likely be a massive electrical discharge released from the Sun. This will then damage almost all power circuits in the world

No electrical power, no defense systems, no internet, no communication. As a world we have progressed so much in technology we have become more vulnerable, if we lose electrical power, then we are all at a loss

Which is kind of a bummer :| ...then again, I don't think mankind deserves a second chance

Wait...whut? 2010? Don't you mean 2012?

haha yea i did mean 2012. 2010 is when i transfer ta Northwood. Sorry bout that fellas. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users