Religion?

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your religion? (71 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your religion?

1. Christian (36 votes [38.71%])

Percentage of vote: 38.71%

2. Jewish (3 votes [3.23%])

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

3. Buddhist (4 votes [4.30%])

Percentage of vote: 4.30%

4. Hindu (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Athiest (24 votes [25.81%])

Percentage of vote: 25.81%

6. Ancient religion (some people still believe.) (2 votes [2.15%])

Percentage of vote: 2.15%

7. Voted Other (11 votes [11.83%])

Percentage of vote: 11.83%

8. Cant really decide (4 votes [4.30%])

Percentage of vote: 4.30%

9. Agnostic (9 votes [9.68%])

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 Guest_Gentlemanly Man_*

Guest_Gentlemanly Man_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:28 AM

HuhLAAAARITY!

Posted Image

#27 Ranger04X

Ranger04X

Elder Chicken [Level 3]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
  • LocationOne of bowsers 7 koopa hotels

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:30 AM

HuhLAAAARITY!

Posted Image

In serious town, the awesome face is unacceptable

#28 Denivire

Denivire

Moderator [mod level 2]

• Moderator [Mod level 1]
  • 4,012 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:20 AM

Even though religion has also sparked many conflicts, spilled so much blood, you cannot deny how much good it has also procured from the people of this planet. Charities, acts of good will, friendship, improvement to self-esteem, the list goes on. This is why Religion is needed, even if seen as a wall for those "unknowing" of science's constant discoveries debunking some aspects of religion.

I'd be inclined to argue that the "bad" far outweighs the "good."

Although this video singles out Christianity, i think it's pretty interesting regardless of your religions beliefs.

That video is what I call an assault towards too many people. This guy literally is an ignorant, pompous git who should have put more time into thinking his video through.
He was trying to rationalize his entire video based on his own thoughts as a person already not believing in God, and tried using that same mind to try and think for the person who believes in God.

It doesn't work.

Your mind is already preset to be biased against the thought, so you'd try and make it rational to make it so the "religious person" would think the response that is most in favor of the atheist.

Another issue is that he makes God out to be an all mighty being that would be able to fix anything right there. This is not true. How can we, as a species, be able to continue through life with a hand that constantly protects us? The answer is we don't, we'd get to be too reliable on God, and cause ourselves to be even more ridiculous and impossible to handle, not advancing as a species like God wants us to. The very thought of several of these question's answers were revolting.

There is also the fact God didn't write the Bible, his followers did.
There is always the fact that when word travels from mouth to mouth, words get missed, confused, and things get added. What we see in there could have passed from 0 to 2,000 people before it was written for all we know, and the more people, the more inaccurate it could be. There is also the knowledge that translations could have gotten muddled, and words could have been guessed. That means certain parts of the Bible, such as Adam and Eve, Noah and the Ark, the books of Leviticus and Deuteronomy, all could have information that could be muddled, confused, or simply not true. It's like the Crusades, where people were killing each other "in the name of God", or "as their God demands from them", yet it was a cover for a specific religion or culture to have control over key locations, including Jerusalem.

In the end, this video is more or less just an atheist trying to "be smart and rational" in debunking religion (or Christianity to be more accurate), by being negative.

This video to me would not have been as bad if it wasn't for his pompous balloon being so rude by calling people who believe in God delusional and a mar to humanity. :roll:

Also end wall I just realized I made. :lol:

#29 Mr. Welldone

Mr. Welldone

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationThe land of lost dreams.

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:07 PM

Well, I'm Christian. And yes, I believe there IS a God.

#30 CastleCrashingGuru

CastleCrashingGuru

Ultra-Member !!!!!!!!

• Members
  • 3,737 posts
  • LocationJoin Random Post Forum GOLD to view my location

Posted 16 August 2009 - 06:28 AM

Even though religion has also sparked many conflicts, spilled so much blood, you cannot deny how much good it has also procured from the people of this planet. Charities, acts of good will, friendship, improvement to self-esteem, the list goes on. This is why Religion is needed, even if seen as a wall for those "unknowing" of science's constant discoveries debunking some aspects of religion.

I'd be inclined to argue that the "bad" far outweighs the "good."

Although this video singles out Christianity, i think it's pretty interesting regardless of your religions beliefs.

That video is what I call an assault towards too many people. This guy literally is an ignorant, pompous git who should have put more time into thinking his video through.
He was trying to rationalize his entire video based on his own thoughts as a person already not believing in God, and tried using that same mind to try and think for the person who believes in God.

It doesn't work.

Your mind is already preset to be biased against the thought, so you'd try and make it rational to make it so the "religious person" would think the response that is most in favor of the atheist.

Another issue is that he makes God out to be an all mighty being that would be able to fix anything right there. This is not true. How can we, as a species, be able to continue through life with a hand that constantly protects us? The answer is we don't, we'd get to be too reliable on God, and cause ourselves to be even more ridiculous and impossible to handle, not advancing as a species like God wants us to. The very thought of several of these question's answers were revolting.

There is also the fact God didn't write the Bible, his followers did.
There is always the fact that when word travels from mouth to mouth, words get missed, confused, and things get added. What we see in there could have passed from 0 to 2,000 people before it was written for all we know, and the more people, the more inaccurate it could be. There is also the knowledge that translations could have gotten muddled, and words could have been guessed. That means certain parts of the Bible, such as Adam and Eve, Noah and the Ark, the books of Leviticus and Deuteronomy, all could have information that could be muddled, confused, or simply not true. It's like the Crusades, where people were killing each other "in the name of God", or "as their God demands from them", yet it was a cover for a specific religion or culture to have control over key locations, including Jerusalem.

In the end, this video is more or less just an atheist trying to "be smart and rational" in debunking religion (or Christianity to be more accurate), by being negative.

This video to me would not have been as bad if it wasn't for his pompous balloon being so rude by calling people who believe in God delusional and a mar to humanity. :roll:

Also end wall I just realized I made. :lol:

Seconded. That video was completely one sided and inaccurate about religion. Religion is something sacred to each believer, something that gives them faith and hope, and helps answer the larger questions in the universe.

I personally believe in God, but I don't necessarily follow one religion devoutly. You could say that, like Denivire, I'm a bit agnostic. I believe that God created the first spec of matter, that became the first universe in our multiverse. From there, he just sat back and watched the cosmos take their own turns, and go about changing and going through cycles on its own, until life was birthed on our small blue planet. Some might call it a miracle, but in all honesty, it might not be.

There could be hundreds of millions of other intelligent-life-bearing planets that current religions aren't comfortable with acknowledging.

I don't choose one religion above another because everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I respect every religion, no matter how kooky or crazy-sounding it might be. For me, I want to find out how stuff happens, the science behind why we're here, and the chances that we might not be alone in this universe. :)

#31 El_Mustachio93

El_Mustachio93

Chicken Lover [Level 2]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:31 AM

This seems to have turned into a Christianity versus science debate, so I'm going to take a third stance to the religion situation. I am an Athiest-Agnostic, also known as an implicit athiest. Esentially this means that i take primarily athiestic views, but I acknowledge that I cannot prove for or against, this feeds into my philosophical views of Epistimological Nihilism, which in a nutshell states "Without knowledge there isn't purpose" and to obtain knowledge is to obtain purpose. so basically this puts me in a position of not caring, and realising that I really do not care for personal religious views pretty much puts me in this position.

#32 mechazeep

mechazeep

Ultra-Member !!!!!!!!

• Members
  • 10,422 posts
  • LocationIn a 90's music video

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:36 PM

I don't have a religon but I don't think there is a god so I guess I'm an athiest.

#33 SushiGummy

SushiGummy

SuperMod [NPC]

• Super Mod [NPC]
  • 4,186 posts
  • Locationmommy and daddy's house

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:09 AM

I'm Christian. And while I do go to Mass and follow what the Pope says, I do realize that there have been bad priests/bishops/popes/whatever in the past, so I try to base my ideas off what I think God would want. Not that I think Mass is bad or anything, I just know there are bad priests out there and I keep an eye out for them. I've heard lots of stories about people who convert to atheism because they had a bad experience with a priest, and frankly, I think it's sad.

I really don't like where these religious fights have been going lately.
I'm mostly ashamed of bad atheists and Christians. Particularly because there are so many atheists out there right now who don't respect other peoples' beliefs in the least bit, and they're really giving a bad reputation to the other atheists. I've met atheists who respect religion, why can't they be more like that instead of complaining about something they obviously don't see the same way religious people do? It's really giving some of them a bad image.

There are also quite a few Christians out there that aren't really showing much respect themselves. Some of them actually think that atheists are all going to hell, even though that's completely against what the Bible teaches. And, heck, I don't care how disrespectful they are, the Bible says to respect everybody. No matter what. I think this has given a pretty bad reputation to Christians.

Plus there's the whole "science disproves God" or "why do good things happen to bad people?" crap I always hear about. You can't disprove God. If God exists, He can do anything. Don't go about saying it's impossible for Him to exist. It's 'impossible' in the physical world. Any sort of all-powerful being could easily make it so that we can't understand the truth. Think about it this way, what if everyone was born without the sense of hearing? Nobody would be able to understand what noises are like at all. And what if somebody claimed that such a thing as sound existed? Would it be right to think it's a lie just because they can't hear it?

The flaw with atheism, in my hopefully respectful opinion, is that people are always trying to find proof for God, or reasons God does something, and yadda yadda yadda. Doesn't it remind anybody of Adam and Eve? They wanted to understand what God understood, and God ended up banishing them from the Garden of Eden when they broke his one rule to find out (which they didn't). Though he still watched over them, and he still loved them. I'm not saying that the story of Adam and Eve is true, along with Noah's Ark or the Tower of Babel. They seem to be more like stories telling us to be good people, to put it simply.

But, yeah, what it basically comes out to is faith. It makes sense, if you think about it. Why would God prove himself to us? What if God came out right now, proved himself, and told everybody to be good or they'll go to hell? People are going to be good because they don't want to go to hell, obviously. That's not how it should work. People should be good simply because they care about others. And, once again, I don't believe you particularly have to be a Christian, you just have to be respectful and open to the other religions and pretty much be a good person.

Also, some people need to understand that there's no in-between for God. If you're Christian, the belief is that God is all knowing, all loving, and all powerful. Which means:
a) You can't disagree with God.
B) You have to truly believe that what you think is right is what God would think is right. You can't just make religion simple unless you believe God would agree with it. There are so many religions that want to simplify the rules. Don't believe what you want, believe what you truly think God wants.

So, in conclusion, my reply to the many 'flawless' questions apparently 'disproving' God is, we're not supposed to know everything. It's what separates us from God. If we knew all the answers, faith would be completely useless. So, if you think a good god would prove himself to us, that would mean wanting god to make life easier and better for us, which would mean you would want this god to serve you, even though he had created you. This is completely different from the Christian belief and the reason why so many atheists don't see religion the same way we do. We believe that we are here to serve God, who loves us so much he created us, and that if we served him, mainly by serving others, the world would be much better.

I mean, it really does make sense. It's not like God is selfish. He wants us to serve him by serving others. This would not truthfully happen if he were just to reveal himself to us. God only reveals himself to people who completely believe in him, in which case it wouldn't make a difference at that point whether he revealed himself or not besides to strengthen faith, or somebody that would honestly be a good person if they were to see God. If we were all good to each other, the world would obviously be a better place.

Whoo. Okay, I'm done now.

#34 Guest_i crash castles_*

Guest_i crash castles_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2009 - 01:52 PM

Wow.... This thread has many great arguments. While I dont believe in god, That video was horrible.

#35 DesertThug

DesertThug

Elder Chicken [Level 1]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:07 PM

Muslim over here. Today is the beginning of Ramadan so I'm going to be starving for a while.

#36 Uncle0wnage

Uncle0wnage

Chicken Lover [Level 3]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationAwaiting further breifing

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:03 AM

I hate it when atheists say to me, "you're religion is a crutch!"
It is not neccessary to have a religion to live a life, so, Me having a religion is not helping me have life,....to clarify, My religion stands beside me, I don't use it to convince myself that what I'm doing is right, if what I'm doing is wrong, I don't make up bull**** excuses, And I don't fall back when challenged on my beliefs, The real question I have for atheists, is, What if you're wrong? Will, I lose anything if my religion is false, the answer is no, and religion is not a safeguard, You have to truly believe, not just act like it, but not believe deep down. Believeing takes a leap of Faith, it's not easy to do, but If you guys want to talk more just pm me.

#37 Bloob

Bloob

Ultra-Member !!!!!!!!

• Members
  • 5,228 posts
  • LocationπŸ…Έ'πŸ…Ό πŸ…ΈπŸ…½ πŸ†ˆπŸ…ΎπŸ†„πŸ† πŸ…°πŸ†πŸ…΄πŸ…° (πŸ…Έ πŸ…ΊπŸ…½πŸ…ΎπŸ†† πŸ†ƒπŸ…·πŸ…΄ πŸ…΅πŸ…ΈπŸ†πŸ†‚πŸ†ƒ πŸ†ƒπŸ…·πŸ†πŸ…΄πŸ…΄ πŸ…½πŸ†„πŸ…ΌπŸ…±πŸ…΄πŸ†πŸ†‚)

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:06 AM

I hate it when atheists say to me, "you're religion is a crutch!"
It is not neccessary to have a religion to live a life, so, Me having a religion is not helping me have life,....to clarify, My religion stands beside me, I don't use it to convince myself that what I'm doing is right, if what I'm doing is wrong, I don't make up bull**** excuses, And I don't fall back when challenged on my beliefs, The real question I have for atheists, is, What if you're wrong? Will, I lose anything if my religion is false, the answer is no, and religion is not a safeguard, You have to truly believe, not just act like it, but not believe deep down. Believeing takes a leap of Faith, it's not easy to do, but If you guys want to talk more just pm me.

Exactly.
If there is no god, then there would be nothing to lose if you believe in a god or gods.
I'm Presbyterian by the way.

#38 xi skull rain xi

xi skull rain xi

Elder Chicken [Level 1]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  • Locationwhy would you want to know?

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:08 AM

most epic and true thing ive ever read :!:

#39 Xtr4M1nty

Xtr4M1nty

Elder Chicken [Level 2]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSunny Scotland

Posted 23 August 2009 - 01:38 PM

I believe in G. O. D as a force, like Gravity or Climates

But seriously, I dont like religion at ALL, look at the numbers of people died because of religion...Billions

Now look at people who have died fighting in a war for something else....Hardly Anybody at all...

#40 Love Slice

Love Slice

Chicken Lover [Level 1]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationBaking a cake under the sun.

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:06 PM

I'm Atheist, because science has proved so much over religion

Science and religion can coincide. I don't know why people can't understand that. Personally I'm a Christian, but I think I might believe in some form of evolution. The biblical "creation" idea could just be some sort of metaphor for some sort of evolution, I just believe that evolution happened exactly how God planned it. It states in the bible that God doesn't view time in the same way we do, so I don't think creation happened in literally 6 days. "Days" could represent different stages of evolution maybe.

I have no doubt that God is real, but I don't doubt science either.

EDIT: I figured I'd include another example of the bible and science lining up: Scientists have enough evidence to believe that there was once a huge flood. This flood is talked about in the story of Noah and the Ark. I think I saw a show about it on the Science channel or something.

#41 David Duffy

David Duffy

Chicken Lover [Level 5]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:44 PM

I hate these arguments. Whatever anybody believes is obselete, because one side's right, and the other is wrong. It doesn't matter what you think, because you're not important enough to have an opinion on things as important as this topic. Its bigger than any of us.

But still...

Why should there be a God? That's the underlying question. Things don't happen for a reason. We are here not because some divine force created us and looks after us. We are so specific a form because that's what happened. Evolution. Random chance. Why should there be a God? What purpose does a deity serve other than to reassure the masses of individuals too afraid to see the world for what it actually is? In the past God and holy books may have served as an explanation as to why the world is the way it is, but in this modern day and age of science there is no excuse. People believe in God because they're told about him.

Imagine a world where no one considered God existed. It never crossed anybody's minds. Nobody would suddenly begin believing in God, because we have no need for him. Today we pick and choose which parts of the bible to believe, based on which parts make sense in modern society, because we feel obliged to believe in something. If we all had the strength and courage to see the world as it is; a random event that could have happened a million different ways but become so specific a form due to random variation, the world would not need religion. Why do we have to impart meaning onto a canvas so blank and beautiful? How can it be that believing in Santa is childish when an equally absurd imagining is commonplace?

God didn't create us. We created it. The argument is irrelevent because all of us are irrelivent. What I know is this: religion in the western world is dying. Here in Britain, the majority of people in my age group - my friends and family - are atheists. And even though polls show that atheists are the most depsised religious group in America, the numbers of them are continually rising.

#42 chza

chza

Chicken Lover [Level 1]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:26 AM

First, I'd consider myself Agnostic. And my defention of being Agnostic, bascially is this. You can't prove religion, nor can you disprove it. So I'm not going to rule anything else. Im not saying God is real, but then again, Im not saying he doesnt exist. No one knows. So having millions of people slaughtered in wars over the years, and constant fights over religion is foolish, because most people arent smart enough to understand that no one knows, probably will never know the truth.

I however do believe in evolution, and other scientific theories behind creation. I believe we started as single cell organisms in the ocean, and look at us now. And Were not done either, we will look completely different in thousands and thousands of years. Who knows what the furture holds for us :)

Also, I have been asked before, "Why dont you just completely believe in god, it's not hurting anything, and if you believe in god, you get to go to heaven when you die, and even if there is no god, then nothing happens when you die" etc. etc.

And I think looking for religion for an after life, is extremely low of a person. I just cant say to myself, "Ok, god is real" just so I can get into heaven. I would rather stay strong in what I believe in, and risk going to "hell", then blindly follow any religion, or believe in something that I know I dont really believe in completely.

Also heres something to think about that I heard awhile back

"God loves the agnostic, because he follows the experiment, instead of running around and telling people what the experiment is supposed to be"

#43 Xtr4M1nty

Xtr4M1nty

Elder Chicken [Level 2]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSunny Scotland

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:04 AM

Christian.
Even though Science has done lots of stuff.

The Bible's historical stuff was proven by discovery teams.
So it's gotta be true.

Obviously 1 or 2 artifacts which come from the time of Christ proves that gods existence is true.

Ughhhh nothey dont it proves there was someone around those times thhough....

#44 Yabba Dabba Dul

Yabba Dabba Dul

Chicken Lover [Level 5]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:53 PM

I'm Atheist, because science has proved so much over religion

I'm Muslim, because Islam has proved many things before science.

#45 MRvister

MRvister

Elder Chicken [Level 4]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:41 AM

What about all the wars caused my religion? Such as the crusades?

#46 Denivire

Denivire

Moderator [mod level 2]

• Moderator [Mod level 1]
  • 4,012 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:47 AM

You know clearly that that reason for the crusades is on the majority a cover for the true reason behind any war: land and power. Almost all the big people involved on the majority fought the crusades for more land and/or power, with the very few reasoning as religious reasoning.

#47 MRvister

MRvister

Elder Chicken [Level 4]

• Members
  • 2,190 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:49 AM

You know clearly that that reason for the crusades is on the majority a cover for the true reason behind any war: land and power. Almost all the big people involved on the majority fought the crusades for more land and/or power, with the very few reasoning as religious reasoning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusades

It seemed like it. :o It seems partially for land and power.

#48 Guest_DeathBox360_*

Guest_DeathBox360_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:59 AM

Not to mention the Holocaust, The French Religion Wars, 100 years war, The Arab-Israeli war, Sri Lankan civil war and the war in Iraq. Need I say more?

#49 CastleCrashingGuru

CastleCrashingGuru

Ultra-Member !!!!!!!!

• Members
  • 3,737 posts
  • LocationJoin Random Post Forum GOLD to view my location

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:00 AM

Not to mention the Holocaust, The French Religion Wars, 100 years war, The Arab-Israeli war, Sri Lankan civil war and the war in Iraq. Need I say more?

You forgot to mention the Spanish Inquisition, even though it wasn't too much of a "war"

#50 MRvister

MRvister

Elder Chicken [Level 4]

• Members
  • 2,190 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:07 AM

You forgot to mention the Spanish Inquisition, even though it wasn't too much of a "war"

There were too many wars. :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users