Religion?

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your religion? (94 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your religion?

1. Christian (46 votes [39.66%])

Percentage of vote: 39.66%

2. Jewish (3 votes [2.59%])

Percentage of vote: 2.59%

3. Buddhist (4 votes [3.45%])

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

4. Hindu (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Athiest (28 votes [24.14%])

Percentage of vote: 24.14%

6. Ancient religion (some people still believe.) (2 votes [1.72%])

Percentage of vote: 1.72%

7. Voted Other (13 votes [11.21%])

Percentage of vote: 11.21%

8. Cant really decide (6 votes [5.17%])

Percentage of vote: 5.17%

9. Agnostic (14 votes [12.07%])

Percentage of vote: 12.07%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#126 The Happy knight

The Happy knight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationIn your face

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:26 PM

I must rebel!

#127 time2rhyme99

time2rhyme99

Hatchling [Level 5]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationHagerstown, MD

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:42 AM

Islam..... NO IM NOT A TERRORIST....

#128 xDarkAnsem

xDarkAnsem

Elder Chicken [Level 1]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationA land where life is good.

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:09 AM

Agnostic.

Christian: "There is too a god."
Me: Prove it.

Athiest: "There isn't a god."
Me: Prove it.

#129 Dutch32

Dutch32

Eggie [Level 0]

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationEmden, Germany

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:42 AM

I'm Atheist, because science has proved so much over religion

Science is the new religion... :|

#130 mechazeep

mechazeep

Ultra-Member !!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,426 posts
  • LocationIn a 90's music video

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:12 PM

people are my religion
because i believe in them
#abetterworld

#131 Jtye

Jtye

Hatchling [Level 2]

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:02 AM

I think there is more to religion than just salvation and faith. I'm not really religious but I see how religion can put positive values, ideals and morals in people. My dad is both christain and Buddhist and he sees the two things as sides of the same coin. He takes lessons and morals from biblical myths and buddhist scriptures. I also see how some of religion if misinterpreted is bad for the individual. That's how you get crusades and jihads and genocides of the such. But you have to let people hold their own morals in general (just not let serial killers, terrorist, etc. kill everyone cause that's what they think). But basilisk, you don't have to believe every thing religion tells you. I know plenty of people who only take some of the philosophy of religion and interpret what they think is the true or core message of how they should live, but cut out that of which they think is corruption that developed out of the core beliefs. Most religions try to put good in people, salvation doesn't have to be part of that. Also most every religion says some of the same stuff about how people should be just generaly good. I know my dad has some hard-set morals of good he takes from religion and believes in some type of higher power, but he is one of the most pratical and scientific guys I know. Even though I'm not really religious there are times I find myself deciding something or another on a Buddhist or other philosophy I heard ,not out of faith, but because some times It is just the right or wise thing to do: it just makes sense. To put out an example I know one buddhist philosophy about how every possession we have is already lost somewhere down the line of time so every second we have with it is precious. The funny thing is I've seen this thought everywhere. I read alot and read a book about a christain lieutenant colnel in Iraq that told his men at the funeral of one of his first men to die that the bullet has already been fired: it dent matter if they die tomorrow or in 60 years, it matters how they live. My English teacher also teaches some type of philosophy and every reading always leads to a deep discussion. One discussion lead to the theory that the true meaning of some poem is simply not to waste you time in life, it is too important. This reminded me of this philosophy. What I think is really funny the example of this thought that sticks with me most. I found a trunk full of my dad's 70s concert shirts. I wore them a few times because they fit me and went to wear a styx ones out to a dance but when I felt the shirt it felt like another wash would disintegrate it even though it was in a solid state now and still looked good. I told my dad we should hang it up, save his memories. His response was "that would be petty, i already lost this shirt when your mom tried to throw all my concert stuff away. I saved them by hiding them in that box. That was a petty act. I don't need some shirt to give me my memories. Every day that shirt is worn is a day after its ment to be worn. Evry second it is enjoyed it is a bonus. You should wear it, get every possible moment out of you possobly can." i find it realy funny that this is the example that sticks to me most when there is tons of importsnt stuff in life that we need to make te most out of and what showed me this was an old shirt. I don't think I believe I follow any of this to help my karma or to get into an afterlife, but I think some of it is just right. I believe in science, but there is good in religion, it just depends on how we see it.
Rant complete.

#132 Shade

Shade

Hatchling [Level 2]

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Au

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:05 AM

I believe religion is stupid and I also believe that labelling yourself limits you.
I don't need anyone to tell me how to live my life. Not when the difference between wrong and right is painfully obvious.
I study religion and I believe each has lessons to learn and good points here and there but I refuse to acknowledge any as truth.
If I were to ever believe in any, it would be my peoples religion which is now known as 'Norse Mythology' since the catholics slaughtered my people, labeled them saxons and pushed their beliefs on them under threat of death.

#133 Boradam

Boradam

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • 3,662 posts
  • LocationDallas

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

Christian still.

#134 FEL

FEL

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • 7,749 posts
  • LocationxcAT

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

Why can't we all just get along?

Atheists, stop hating on Christians and let them believe what they want.
Christians, stop trying to "save" us, and become tolerant to others' religion, race, and sexuality.
Other religions, if you hate, learn to tolerate.

#135 Zephyr

Zephyr

Elder Chicken [Level 4]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts
  • Locationis unknown.

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:31 PM

My brother is "Apostolic Pentecostal". Someone add that to the list, lol.

#136 scarabix

scarabix

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • 2,840 posts
  • LocationThe nether reaches of oblivion (about fifty miles from paris)

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:08 AM

I like to pretend I'm a muslim.

I wear a green shirt and say such words as "inch'allah" and "halluf"

#137 solan

solan

Chicken Lover [Level 1]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:25 AM

I'm an Athiest... and it kinda annoys me how the only real logic to the existence of God is that you can't disprove it. How is one supposed to disprove something that doesn't exist? Also for the most part I think many of the messages of religions are good, but for all those messages of love and peace religion has caused quite a few wars.

#138 scarabix

scarabix

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • 2,840 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

Although I said I liked all stuff muslim, don't get me wrong: I still don't believe in the existence of any god.

Edited by scarabix, 02 May 2012 - 09:50 PM.

#139 PSHYCOCHIPMUNK

PSHYCOCHIPMUNK

Elder Chicken [Level 1]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • LocationA place where the children play and the sun shines in a crystal clear way

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:15 PM

Christian.

Edited by PSHYCOCHIPMUNK, 06 May 2012 - 11:19 PM.

#140 T Diamond

T Diamond

Elder Chicken [Level 4]

• Members
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

I always find religion fascinating. Everyone always believes that religion changes people and shapes culture, etc. In reality it's people and culture that shape religion. People often say that religion caused a culture to do this or that, or changed this about society. When in fact, one can never accurately say that religion caused someone (or some people) to do this or that. The most overused and popular (and banal in my opinion) example is the crusades. Religion never had a direct impact on people to start the crusades. It was never a belief that the people should do it because of their religion. It was the leaders in charge who manufactured, started, and produced the crusades. Those leaders, although Christians, never did it because it was a difference in opinion or that the others were heretics. It was one corrupted leader who took as much power as possible and tried to take ore by conquering foreign land.

Another thing I find interesting is how Western culture (North America and Europe) takes religion. Western culture is very adamant when compared to other societies. For 1,000s of years it's been this way too. Honestly I don't know enough about anthropology nor historical enculturation to tell anyone why; however, I do know this adamant behavior has caused constant clashes that other cultures never see. My favorite example of this is the Middle East. Most people don't know this, but until European contact, the Middle East did not have religious wars. In fact, the three religions lives harmonically for centuries before Europeans came. What caused this change; economic shifts. The economic changes that Europe brought with them actually is the root of many of the religious problem we're currently seeing even today. I guess one can say: it is neither belief nor pride that is the root of all evil, but money. Whether those people would have lived happily forever, no one can say nor can anyone even accurately predict.

I guess this long tangent, is just to talk about religion with accurate facts rather than: "My belief is correct because I believe it" sort of thing going on. That and I do like discussing religious, when it can be done without egocentric thinking going on.

Also has anyone heard of the belief of Cosmicism? It's something I just learned about a few months ago, and although I do not like most of it, the main idea or "moral" of it is something I kinda like.

#141 FEL

FEL

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • 7,749 posts
  • LocationxcAT

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:10 AM

Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot he couldn't eat it?

#142 scarabix

scarabix

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • 2,840 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:53 PM

I always find religion fascinating. Everyone always believes that religion changes people and shapes culture, etc. In reality it's people and culture that shape religion. People often say that religion caused a culture to do this or that, or changed this about society. When in fact, one can never accurately say that religion caused someone (or some people) to do this or that. The most overused and popular (and banal in my opinion) example is the crusades. Religion never had a direct impact on people to start the crusades. It was never a belief that the people should do it because of their religion. It was the leaders in charge who manufactured, started, and produced the crusades. Those leaders, although Christians, never did it because it was a difference in opinion or that the others were heretics. It was one corrupted leader who took as much power as possible and tried to take ore by conquering foreign land.

Another thing I find interesting is how Western culture (North America and Europe) takes religion. Western culture is very adamant when compared to other societies. For 1,000s of years it's been this way too. Honestly I don't know enough about anthropology nor historical enculturation to tell anyone why; however, I do know this adamant behavior has caused constant clashes that other cultures never see. My favorite example of this is the Middle East. Most people don't know this, but until European contact, the Middle East did not have religious wars. In fact, the three religions lives harmonically for centuries before Europeans came. What caused this change; economic shifts. The economic changes that Europe brought with them actually is the root of many of the religious problem we're currently seeing even today. I guess one can say: it is neither belief nor pride that is the root of all evil, but money. Whether those people would have lived happily forever, no one can say nor can anyone even accurately predict.

I guess this long tangent, is just to talk about religion with accurate facts rather than: "My belief is correct because I believe it" sort of thing going on. That and I do like discussing religious, when it can be done without egocentric thinking going on.

Also has anyone heard of the belief of Cosmicism? It's something I just learned about a few months ago, and although I do not like most of it, the main idea or "moral" of it is something I kinda like.

Well, since this is the religion thread you might as well explain cosmicism to us.

So anyways, yeah, religion by itself doesn't explain all the clashes between civilizations, as evidenced by wars between countries of the same religions.

But what rustles my jimmies about religion is how they don't play their roles (which is, let's say it, to unite people around common values and ideologies) because of subjective readings.

If religious people stayed true to the texts there wouldn't be any of the vices religion has created. Burqas, crusades and the shoah all result from subjective lectures of the kuran and bible (not that they're the only books to ever have caused wrong).

Then again the texts are vague and have potential for interpretation. So in the end some extremists will read the texts the way they're not intended to be read, and wars will still happen.

#143 Zephyr

Zephyr

Elder Chicken [Level 4]

• Members
  • 2,049 posts
  • Locationis unknown.

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:38 AM

Well, since I haven't stated my religion yet, I will.

I'm actually Catholic, but that falls under the Christian category. :P

#144 habitat1998

habitat1998

Chicken Lover [Level 1]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Locationholland

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

i am a muslim.

#145 MagicBanahas

MagicBanahas

Hatchling [Level 2]

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMeditating on a giant banana

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:50 PM

That guy in that video that was trying to single out Christians is a s%#+head. He says that we literally ate Jesus, he is so stupid, body and blood is a representation of bread and wine, and yet he calls him self "smart". If he isn't a Christian, then how is he suposed to know what we truly believe? I highly doubt that he has read the bible all the way through. Notice how he basically called all Christians stupid and ignorant. That's basically calling millions, maybe billions of people stupid. Now atheists, and I'm not talking about all of you, and can believe what you want to believe, but the next time you post saying Christians are ignorant, or stupid, think that you insulting almost billions of people.

#146 MagicBanahas

MagicBanahas

Hatchling [Level 2]

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMeditating on a giant banana

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:58 PM

FEL I can somewhat respect you for trying to make peace with the religions. We all need to cool down, including me, but I just had to post that last post.

#147 scarabix

scarabix

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • 2,840 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:12 AM

Now atheists, and I'm not talking about all of you, and can believe what you want to believe, but the next time you post saying Christians are ignorant, or stupid, think that you insulting almost billions of people.

Wow. So basically one atheist says one thing about christians that you don't take kindly and then you take that back at atheists in general?

Nice generalization here dude.

For reference remember that what unites christians is a set of rules and beliefs, while atheists are not united, since all we have for ourselves is the lack of belief. This dude's opinion is not representitive of all atheist's opinions and no one can pretend to represent all atheists, since we do not form a coherent group.

Stop treating atheism like a cult, thanks.

#148 Complicated

Complicated

Elder Chicken [Level 4]

• Members
  • 2,345 posts
  • LocationAn asylum.

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:25 PM

Atheist.
I won't say much, though, because this kind of topic makes me irritable.
Then it upsets my bowels.

#149 Cat Guard

Cat Guard

Elder Chicken [Level 2]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationTom Fulp's Beard

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:20 PM

My Grandma and some of my aunts and uncles are so religious... my sister & I are not as religious. Im like kinda athiest since I dont pray or go to church, yet I still kinda believe in God

#150 GoldenGhost

GoldenGhost

Elder Chicken [Level 4]

• Members
  • 2,161 posts
  • Locationtrapped in a fez factory

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:12 AM

You should really try not to necrobump a thread (revive a thread that has been dead for a really long time) unless it's suddenly become relevant and conversation-worthy again. I guess Serioustown has a lot of threads that could be added onto whenever someone wants to talk about them, but it's still sorta frowned upon unless there's a reason for it to be revived (like if something recent happens that's related to the topic). You probably won't get a warning point or anything, just giving you a heads-up.

Edited by GoldenGhost, 17 July 2014 - 04:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users