Photo

The death of socializing(person to person IRL)?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 mechazeep

mechazeep

Ultra-Member !!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,422 posts
  • LocationIn a 90's music video

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:58 PM

Let me run you my theory.
Today, more and more people are texting, using social net working sites and simply staying insaide more. There has been a steady increase of people joining social networking sites how quite shocking rates. Could this possibly turn American citizens into hermits?
In the future, why would people go outside when the could just talk to their friends on Myspace? The more technology advances, the more people won't actually need to go outside. Humans would become anti-social shudins with no people skills.
A terrible future.
Could it happen?

#2 Darkshadow1215

Darkshadow1215

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • 3,249 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:55 AM

It's already happening. The scary part for me, is that it only takes one missile, and then a satellite in outer space turns into a fire ball. The result will be the Internet, cell phones, cable, etc. all losing their connection/signal... and the hermits who don't know how to socialize will be unable to do anything about it without their technology.

For me, the future seems like it will become like it was in the Disney movie Wall-E on the space ship. People incapable of moving floating around in hover chairs... relying completely on technology. Technology is a very useful and entertaining thing, don't get me wrong, and I don't see people becoming 100% reliant on technology and hover chairs without going outside in our generation, but it could very possibly happen several generations from now.

#3 Bloob

Bloob

Ultra-Member !!!!!!!!

• Members
  • 5,234 posts
  • LocationπŸ…Έ'πŸ…Ό πŸ…ΈπŸ…½ πŸ†ˆπŸ…ΎπŸ†„πŸ† πŸ…°πŸ†πŸ…΄πŸ…° (πŸ…Έ πŸ…ΊπŸ…½πŸ…ΎπŸ†† πŸ†ƒπŸ…·πŸ…΄ πŸ…΅πŸ…ΈπŸ†πŸ†‚πŸ†ƒ πŸ†ƒπŸ…·πŸ†πŸ…΄πŸ…΄ πŸ…½πŸ†„πŸ…ΌπŸ…±πŸ…΄πŸ†πŸ†‚)

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:57 AM

It's already happening. The scary part for me, is that it only takes one missile, and then a satellite in outer space turns into a fire ball. The result will be the Internet, cell phones, cable, etc. all losing their connection/signal... and the hermits who don't know how to socialize will be unable to do anything about it without their technology.

For me, the future seems like it will become like it was in the Disney movie Wall-E on the space ship. People incapable of moving floating around in hover chairs... relying completely on technology. Technology is a very useful and entertaining thing, don't get me wrong, and I don't see people becoming 100% reliant on technology and hover chairs without going outside in our generation, but it could very possibly happen several generations from now.

Meh, I'd say it'll probably happen within 2 generations.
I guess I'll never know though, because I won't be alive.
But think about, people are already incredibly overweight.
Within a generation or two people won't be able to support their legs.

#4 FEL

FEL

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • 7,749 posts
  • LocationxcAT

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:03 AM

Hey, I would go outside more IF I COULD. :roll:

Also,

I agree to both. :roll:

#5 Abyssmal Cookie

Abyssmal Cookie

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationEither at school, work, on steam, playing something, or sleeping.

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:05 AM

True.
And some people already can't support their legs.

The "death of socializing" is very possible.
Technology is easier to communicate, imo.
And physical activity bores me :(
But I'm not going to be a fat lard on a hover chair.
Ever.

#6 Darkshadow1215

Darkshadow1215

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • 3,249 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:13 AM

There already are people that can't support their legs. While there are some exceptions such as gland disorders, there are some people who just.... don't stop eating and end up 500+ pounds. 200 isn't bad, 300 is pretty bad and a little bit understandable.... but 500? :? No offense to anyone on these forums who may be at a BMI of 76 or higher, but it just foreshadows mechazeep's theory all the more.

But I'm not going to be a fat lard on a hover chair.
Ever.

Agreed. And there always be people in our generation who think that way. But years from now, when children are born into a world where they learn from their hover chair bound parents on how to behave, they will never be exposed to exercise and outside, and will not know what it is; stopping them from being able to prevent it.

#7 mechazeep

mechazeep

Ultra-Member !!!!!!!!

• Members
  • 10,422 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:15 AM

Ahh. I see what you are getting. The electro magnetic pusle. It could enable any electrical units within many miles of a nucular explosin. If we did become this dependent on technology, and an EMP goes through the air, where screwed.
Technology is put to good use only in the hands of people with good intentions.
Simple as that.

#8 danp

danp

Behemoth Founder [Level ??]

• Admin [NPC]
  • 1,988 posts
  • Locationanywhere justice needs to be served

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:11 AM

no way, people have a biological need to socialize with in person. you can have hundreds of friends on social networks but you'll always need to hang out with friends, too. it is engrained in our DNA. twitter and facebook only supplement what you're already doing in your life rather than replace the means for it.

isolation chambers cause people to go insane. the human body actually needs physical socializing to feel normal. there have been people who have shut themselves out from the world and live in the woods and such but they still end up naming animals and talking to them or writing poems to imaginary friends. (or "wilson", from Castaway)

#9 Scaler193

Scaler193

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • 3,966 posts
  • LocationWinner of 2013 TBFA User of the Year

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:15 AM

Well I think it gets sad when two people are texting when they could just take to 10 seconds to walk to the other side of the school.

#10 Bloob

Bloob

Ultra-Member !!!!!!!!

• Members
  • 5,234 posts
  • LocationπŸ…Έ'πŸ…Ό πŸ…ΈπŸ…½ πŸ†ˆπŸ…ΎπŸ†„πŸ† πŸ…°πŸ†πŸ…΄πŸ…° (πŸ…Έ πŸ…ΊπŸ…½πŸ…ΎπŸ†† πŸ†ƒπŸ…·πŸ…΄ πŸ…΅πŸ…ΈπŸ†πŸ†‚πŸ†ƒ πŸ†ƒπŸ…·πŸ†πŸ…΄πŸ…΄ πŸ…½πŸ†„πŸ…ΌπŸ…±πŸ…΄πŸ†πŸ†‚)

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:50 AM

Well I think it gets sad when two people are texting when they could just take to 10 seconds to walk to the other side of the school.

Yeah, this is true.
It's sad how much we depend on technology.
Some people on my bus text each each other even when they're sitting in the SAME SEAT.

#11 Babbity_Rabbity

Babbity_Rabbity

Ultra-Member !!!!!!!!

• Members
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationReaver's Rear Passage

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:58 AM

isolation chambers cause people to go insane.

#12 mechazeep

mechazeep

Ultra-Member !!!!!!!!

• Members
  • 10,422 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:50 AM

no way, people have a biological need to socialize with in person. you can have hundreds of friends on social networks but you'll always need to hang out with friends, too. it is engrained in our DNA. twitter and facebook only supplement what you're already doing in your life rather than replace the means for it.

isolation chambers cause people to go insane. the human body actually needs physical socializing to feel normal. there have been people who have shut themselves out from the world and live in the woods and such but they still end up naming animals and talking to them or writing poems to imaginary friends. (or "wilson", from Castaway)

This is true, but keep in mind, humans evolve. Things may change. For the worse.

#13 Slusheee

Slusheee

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • 2,794 posts
  • LocationBehemothtown

Posted 23 December 2009 - 04:34 AM

Yeah, this is true.
Some people on my bus text each each other even when they're sitting in the SAME SEAT.

Even worse when they are doing it and the same car and get in an accident

#14 Babbity_Rabbity

Babbity_Rabbity

Ultra-Member !!!!!!!!

• Members
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationReaver's Rear Passage

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:55 PM

Yeah, this is true.

Even worse when they are doing it and the same car and get in an accident

Serves them right.

#15 Slusheee

Slusheee

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • 2,794 posts
  • LocationBehemothtown

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:20 PM

...and then the people in the car they crashed into get injured/die

#16 Bloob

Bloob

Ultra-Member !!!!!!!!

• Members
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:29 PM

...and then the people in the car they crashed into get injured/die

Well, now that it's illegal, people have no excuse to get in a car crash and die because of a message along the lines of "OMG YEAH"
Even before they could have waited to see such a pointless message.

#17 SND Zag1

SND Zag1

Moderator [mod level 2]

• Moderator [Mod level 1]
  • 882 posts
  • LocationZag's Ninja Fortress, Utah

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:24 PM

Talking to someone in person is way different than over the internet -- even with a webcam and voice chat.

There's so much more to a person; sights, sounds, smells, expressions, body language. These are what make people really come together. But sure, we can socialize a bit more without actually going anywhere, but you won't get true socialization.

#18 ClayKid

ClayKid

Elder Chicken [Level 4]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:46 AM

I personally don't like "socializing" via the Internet, or anything where I'm not talking to them in person for that matter. I'd rather talk to them face to face, it loses it's charm otherwise.

#19 Bloob

Bloob

Ultra-Member !!!!!!!!

• Members
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:51 AM

I personally don't like "socializing" via the Internet, or anything where I'm not talking to them in person for that matter. I'd rather talk to them face to face, it loses it's charm otherwise.

But you're socializing via the internet right now.
How could you hate something that you do often?

#20 ClayKid

ClayKid

Elder Chicken [Level 4]

• Members
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:11 AM

I don't know you people in person :|
But, sometimes I do "socialize" via the internet...*insert personal stuff here*

#21 mechazeep

mechazeep

Ultra-Member !!!!!!!!

• Members
  • 10,422 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:38 AM

I don't know you people in person :|
But, sometimes I do "socialize" via the internet...*insert personal stuff here*

You don't need to know someone IRL for it to be considered socializing.
When you play Xbox360 online, that is socializing too (The lowest form of it at that)

#22 ClayKid

ClayKid

Elder Chicken [Level 4]

• Members
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:42 AM

Huh, never thought of it that way...Thanks mecha.

#23 Bloob

Bloob

Ultra-Member !!!!!!!!

• Members
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:27 AM

Yeah, the definition of "socialize" is to interact with other in some way.
So even if you're posting on the forums or playing Xbox, you're socializing.

#24 Abyssmal Cookie

Abyssmal Cookie

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationEither at school, work, on steam, playing something, or sleeping.

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:41 AM

Looking back, the topic title and topic post differ.
One infers no face-to-face people skills while one infers none at all.

My last post was about the no face-to-face people skills.
Dan basically covered the other.
As humans, we need communication. The death of socializing would mean the death of humans.
Or a twisted evolution.

#25 ClayKid

ClayKid

Elder Chicken [Level 4]

• Members
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:34 PM

Yeah, the definition of "socialize" is to interact with other in some way.
So even if you're posting on the forums or playing Xbox, you're socializing.

I guess I was using my mom's definition :roll:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users