#1 Scaler193

Scaler193

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationWinner of 2013 TBFA User of the Year

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:48 AM

Well I did some surfing but I didnt find a thread about this.Well I kinnda made this fourm to give you mods somthing to think about.Like we have good idea's to so here is a thread were we make sugestion's (Not about games but the FOURM) for you guys.So here are some of my idea's.

1.Delete the locked topics.~Cant you get rid of the topics that are just pure spam and hardly have any use around the fourms.

2.A sugestion fourm.~Let this topic become a seletcion on the fourm so it would be easier to keep idea's down.

Well if this thread is already done you can lock it and anyone is free to post :D

~Edit Line of Edit~

1.Added Sugestion Line of Edit
2.Nice sugestions everyone :D
3.Thread gets a sticky :D

#2 Roy-G-Biv

Roy-G-Biv

Moderator [mod level 2]

• Moderator [Mod level 2]
  • 6,792 posts
  • LocationLocation?

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:50 AM

Please stop making so many topics.
I've already seen you make 2 topics as of today.
One of which I reported for the sake of being pointless.

#3 Slusheee

Slusheee

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • 2,794 posts
  • LocationBehemothtown

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:39 AM

Whats wrong with making topics for discussing? Isn't that what forums are for?

#4 DesertThug

DesertThug

Elder Chicken [Level 1]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:55 AM

Too many topics from a single person can get annoying. A forum is for discussing, yes. But let other people have a word in for once. I honestly don't care I'm just far too cynical for my own good.

#5 Denivire

Denivire

Moderator [mod level 2]

• Moderator [Mod level 1]
  • 4,012 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:36 AM

Okay' I'm willing to give some suggestions to all forum goers in here. Numbers 4 and 5 is what I hope you guys can concentrate on the most.

1 - try to use topics that can be relative to what you are discussing if you can avoid making a new topic. Not many people enjoy going through many new topics that could have been put somewhere else.

2 - be nice. Sometimes, you just seem to go out of your way to attack a person when you could have not said certain words, with the effect you wanted. This means not saying you reported someone to get them to realize they make too many topics. Just say "You make too many topics". Simple.

3 - Have fun. We can all be a little unfair at times, but with a little patience, and a lot of good will and wishes, we can make it so we are not wanting to kill someone at the end of the day.

4 - think before you type. If you hit that "Post Reply" or "New Topic" button, and start typing, stop before you hit the "Submit" button. Wait a minute if angered or frustrated, and read it over. Ask yourself "Do I want other people to read this?", and edit it a bit if needed. By the time you're done, what you've posted is going to be far more rewarding than on the spot idea posts.

5 - Find something else to do. I see some of you on here for long periods of time, posting. Half the time, you're posting a LOT on here, and it's because you're bored. I'm going to ask that instead of posting on these forums something like 20 responses in under 10 minutes, you read a book, draw, do homework, etc. instead of post on these forums so often.

#6 Scaler193

Scaler193

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • 4,087 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:15 PM

Okay' I'm willing to give some suggestions to all forum goers in here. Numbers 4 and 5 is what I hope you guys can concentrate on the most.

1 - try to use topics that can be relative to what you are discussing if you can avoid making a new topic. Not many people enjoy going through many new topics that could have been put somewhere else.

2 - be nice. Sometimes, you just seem to go out of your way to attack a person when you could have not said certain words, with the effect you wanted. This means not saying you reported someone to get them to realize they make too many topics. Just say "You make too many topics". Simple.

3 - Have fun. We can all be a little unfair at times, but with a little patience, and a lot of good will and wishes, we can make it so we are not wanting to kill someone at the end of the day.

4 - think before you type. If you hit that "Post Reply" or "New Topic" button, and start typing, stop before you hit the "Submit" button. Wait a minute if angered or frustrated, and read it over. Ask yourself "Do I want other people to read this?", and edit it a bit if needed. By the time you're done, what you've posted is going to be far more rewarding than on the spot idea posts.

5 - Find something else to do. I see some of you on here for long periods of time, posting. Half the time, you're posting a LOT on here, and it's because you're bored. I'm going to ask that instead of posting on these forums something like 20 responses in under 10 minutes, you read a book, draw, do homework, etc. instead of post on these forums so often.

Ok I can handle that but do homework :shock:

#7 UGOTWAFFLED

UGOTWAFFLED

Chicken Lover [Level 5]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Locationin your head

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:37 PM

nice suggestions.. yea i didnt think before i made that thread where mechazeep already made one like it

#8 Roy-G-Biv

Roy-G-Biv

Moderator [mod level 2]

• 6,792 posts
  • LocationLocation?

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:53 PM

It probably looks like I'm on here alot because I can't bother turning off the internet browser I use, because it's often an urgent situation and lasts for a while for me.

#9 Powered by Chicken

Powered by Chicken

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:21 PM

While we do have a thread for forum issues (stickied under technical issues), as well as an announcement level thread on forum rules and forum updates, but i can see why this thread would be important in addition.

1.Delete the locked topics.~Cant you get rid of the topics that are just pure spam and hardly have any use around the fourms.

here's why i don't delete locked topics:
1) i want the person who created the topic to get a chance to see that it was locked and why. If their topic just up and disappears they are likely to just create another.
2)often, before we get the chance to lock something, there is at least a little bit of discussion. (often mostly flaming, but discussion nonetheless). I am of the opinion that just about all information is worth keeping, and peoples thoughts and ideas included. so i don't like to delete a thread, particularly if someone has put some thought into their comments.
3)if something is truly offensive or inappropriate, yes, i delete the topic.

2.A sugestion fourm.~Let this topic become a selection on the forum so it would be easier to keep idea's down.

when the site is finally redesigned, i think a metaforum section would be in order. there we could have all the discussions of forum rules, forum suggestions, updates, community spotlight, etc. all in one happy place. In the meantime, i'm renaming this thread "Forum Suggestion Thread" and stickying. yay!

I think we do have a stickied thread on "tips for quality posts", but i envision this thread as more of suggestions by forum members on how to improve the forums.

:arrow:
kelly

Denivire, thank you for your excellent suggestions for forum users as well!

#10 Roflcopter

Roflcopter

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • 4,572 posts
  • LocationIn the reflection of the reflection coming off the mirror.

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:03 PM

Hmm can you delete them maybe 2 weeks or so after they are locked?

And when you said don't post for extensive periods of time, was one of those people you were referring to me :shock:

#11 mechazeep

mechazeep

Ultra-Member !!!!!!!!

• Members
  • 10,422 posts
  • LocationIn a 90's music video

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:43 PM

1) I suggest a smiley limit. 7 tops!
2) not as much game threads
3) Try and spell just a little better? Please, for christmas?

#12 Roy-G-Biv

Roy-G-Biv

Moderator [mod level 2]

• 6,792 posts
  • LocationLocation?

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:58 PM

We should make a limit on how many topics you can make a month.
Prevent topic spamming.

#13 UGOTWAFFLED

UGOTWAFFLED

Chicken Lover [Level 5]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Locationin your head

Posted 11 June 2009 - 04:56 PM

Prevent topic spamming.

i believe that applies to u scaler

#14 Scaler193

Scaler193

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • 4,087 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:45 PM

Prevent topic spamming.

i believe that applies to u scaler

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o .......................ummmm.......Well then......I dont think so..... :shock:

#15 Slusheee

Slusheee

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • 2,794 posts
  • LocationBehemothtown

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:02 AM

Hmm... ok

Dupe, spam, useless and game topics. Its gotta stop. I understand what Kelly is doing with the locking thing, and I agree, but seriously guys, SEARCH AROUND before you make a TOPIC :!:

Spam topics should be deleted altogether. I mean spam topics like 'CASTLE CRASHERS DLC RELEASE DATE!!!!11!!!!' and then they post rick roll. All of those should be completely wiped off the forum.

Useless topics. Just stop it, alright :roll: Then you can let the mods lock it and let it go to what Scaler calls the 'Locked Topic Graveyard' :P

...and game topics. Sometimes these can be fun, and mabey even useful (rate the sig/avvy above yours) but the off-topic board is FILLED with them. Just keep it on the minimum.

Heres a (somewhat) simple one, be able to acess user pages through their posts.

and then theres useless-duplicate-spam-useless game topics :lol:

#16 Babbity_Rabbity

Babbity_Rabbity

Ultra-Member !!!!!!!!

• Members
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationReaver's Rear Passage

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:05 AM

This is suggestive:
Spoiler

#17 Roy-G-Biv

Roy-G-Biv

Moderator [mod level 2]

• 6,792 posts
  • LocationLocation?

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:31 AM

On the far left side of the Quote Button, there's a Profile button.
Click there.

#18 Roy-G-Biv

Roy-G-Biv

Moderator [mod level 2]

• 6,792 posts
  • LocationLocation?

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:31 AM

On the far left side of the Quote and Edit Button, there's a Profile button.
Click there.

#19 Slusheee

Slusheee

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • 2,794 posts
  • LocationBehemothtown

Posted 14 June 2009 - 12:31 AM

HOLY CRAP I just realized that :!:

Spoiler

#20 El_Mustachio93

El_Mustachio93

Chicken Lover [Level 2]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:51 AM

Ok, i know this may seem like a bit of a broad topic but i believe that the structure of the forum could be iproved to keep large topics more organised to avoid spam wars inevitably clogging up space where other people are just trying to post their ideas.

I've recently joined the Australian Gamer forums and i've noticed they have a very good system for managing these situations. Basically they 7 different board index topics: General (basically off topic general conversations), The Deep End ("thought provoking and intelligent discussions only" - heavily moderated), the ball pit (basically the unmoderated spam topic), content (news and articles for AG), games (self explanitory), the team (where the AG staff post their stories), and social (the AG guys like to organise events with the forum goers and among themselves). I'm not at all saying that you should adopt this structure, but i believe to create a more successful forum, you should create different off topic idexes that attempts to separate the spam from the general conversations in order to better coordinate users whether they want to mess around or just have a thoughtful chat.

#21 Rizyq

Rizyq

Elder Chicken [Level 4]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 03:01 PM

Spoiler

I have never realized that either, I always thought it was stupid you had to go to the members list and find them... I feel stupid now and will use it...

#22 Slusheee

Slusheee

Elder Chicken [Level 5]

• Members
  • 2,794 posts
  • LocationBehemothtown

Posted 17 June 2009 - 02:07 AM

Spoiler

I have never realized that either, I always thought it was stupid you had to go to the members list and find them... I feel stupid now and will use it...

Lol I always had to look through the topic list and find a topic by the person who's profile I wanted to see :lol:

#23 Powered by Chicken