ThePieGuy

What game are you playing ATM?

1,173 posts in this topic

I bought Downwell on Steam, which just came out today. It's quite cheap at $2.99 and it's pretty fun. It's kind of an arcade action shooter with platforming elements, you play as a character with gun boots falling down a well and the deeper you go, the tougher your descent gets. You can pick up powerups and visit shops to buy items, and it's procedurally generated so each time you play will be different. Well worth the money I payed for it.

Other than that though I've been playing a few Earthbound-esque JRPGs, namely Undertale and LISA. Both are quite impressive and have very well-crafted narratives; Undertale's story is filled with enjoyable characters and blends perfectly with its unique gameplay, while LISA's story is absolutely heart-crushing and brutal but contains just enough quirky humor to make me not hate my life. Both are very recommendable, but if I had to only recommend one, I'd say Undertale is quite the hot topic right now and I would jump on that bandwagon before it's left. It's sooooo well worth the $10.

I'm also planning on playing The Beginner's Guide sometime this weekend so that'll be fun. I've heard lots of good things about it.

EDIT: Just thought I'd update, I just finished The Beginner's Guide (it's a very short and very linear game - 2 hours long max, with almost no replayability) and wowzers. I'd hate myself if I spoiled anything about it; the story is really the only thing it has going for it but it's pretty intense. Was it worth $10? Ehhhhh... Nah, it really isn't. But do I regret buying it anyways? Nope.

My advice: pick it up when it's on sale for $5 or something cheap, play The Stanley Parable for a little bit just before booting it up for the first time, and be ready to let everything sink in after you're done. (Maybe check out this link after playing it as well.)

I just bought Gunpoint on Steam while it was on sale for only 2$ and I LOVED the game, a high recommendation to anyone.

I just played Fifa, Madden, and Forza. I'm not the biggest fan of sports so I loved Forza and I hated Fifa and Madden.

I'm literally only playing Smash Bros. since I'm too hyped for Fallout 4 to play anything else.  I couldn't even get around to finishing my playthrough of FO:NV this time around.  I'll probably get back to that eventually, just for achievements, though.

Recently I decided to buy Platinum Games' Legend of Korra, cause it was on sale for PS+ users. If you love Platinum's other hack and slash titles I strongly recommend you try it out...it is incredibly short, though. I managed to 100% it in just over a night.

Yesterday I caved in and finally decided to start Destiny, too. It's been a long time since I played an FPS title so hopefully I'll enjoy it (despite the grind) :D

Yesterday I caved in and finally decided to start Destiny, too. It's been a long time since I played an FPS title so hopefully I'll enjoy it (despite the grind) :D

Apparently Destiny is good now, or something like that

I don't really have any experience with Destiny 1.0 to compare to, since this is my first time playing, but I'm enjoying the game so far. I can see myself playing PvP a lot; it reminds me of Halo.

I heard you needed the DLC to get any sort of story or to enjoy it. Also I heard you can buy taunts, which I personally don't like in a 60+$ AAA game. :/

I heard you needed the DLC to get any sort of story or to enjoy it. Also I heard you can buy taunts, which I personally don't like in a 60+$ AAA game. :/

Apparently, they're making paid taunts, but all future small DLC's until Destiny 2 are gonna be free. Not sure if this is true or not, can't be bothered looking it up. That's just what the one person I know that plays Destiny said.

I'm playing halo 5, and I am greatly dissapointed in some aspects of the game.

Singleplayer:

The story mode features no unlockables for collecting skulls. (a very un-halo thing to do since that's always been in halo) 
The campaign itself is pretty lackluster, I won't spoil it, but it wasn't something I would expect from such a huge franchise.

Multiplayer:

Multiplayer armors, assassination animations, weapon skins etc are behind a point system in which you earn points for playing matches, but are also able to buy Requisition card packs, gold being the best value as your are guranteed good two cards that unlock armor and the previously mentioned stuff, Silver having less of a chance, bronze even less and etc. You do earn cards by leveling up and sometimes doing good, but it isn't much. So if you want to get everything right away you would have to sink in a good chunk of change to unlock all the cool stuff unfortunately. 

Reguardless of the bad point system, the multiplayer is still fun. The new mode Warzone has you fighting enemy AI to take control over various bases, racking up points (first to 1000 wins) on a huge 12v12 map. It's like a multi-hill king of the hill, with enemy AI scattered throughout the map, and once you kill them your points go up,  and it's really fun. You really get a sense of a major battle occuring, with the opening cutscene to the game mode with you and your teammates jumping off the ship and shooting down enemy AI in your base.  

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I don't really have any experience with Destiny 1.0 to compare to, since this is my first time playing, but I'm enjoying the game so far. I can see myself playing PvP a lot; it reminds me of Halo.

Destiny year 1 was pretty terrible. Getting good loot and leveling up your light would take weeks, not hours compared to now. The loot system was completely random, meaning my friend who just got the game could level up higher than me in a weeks worth of time, and he did. That pretty much resulted in me quitting the game. A game should never have a system that is completely random, so new players can't just magically get everything, and older players don't feel like they were cheated. 

The game has improved a great amount, with loot and light leveling being  Story mode is still a joke, even with the taken king campaign it doesn't really add any substance. I would recommend it for people that left Destiny because of the sour taste it had year 1 and want to give it another shot, but unfortunately they only bundle taken king with the base game, which is absolutely stupid. Why would I want to pay for something I already have again when I could just get the DLC seperate?

Destiny year 1 was pretty terrible. Getting good loot and leveling up your light would take weeks, not hours compared to now. The loot system was completely random, meaning my friend who just got the game could level up higher than me in a weeks worth of time, and he did. That pretty much resulted in me quitting the game. A game should never have a system that is completely random so new players can't just magically get everything. 

The game has improved a great amount, with loot and light leveling being  Story mode is still a joke, even with the taken king campaign it doesn't really add any substance. I would recommend it for people that left Destiny because of the sour taste it had year 1 and want to give it another shot, but unfortunately they only bundle taken king with the base game, which is absolutely stupid. Why would I want to pay for something I already have again when I could just get the DLC seperate?

Yeah from what I've heard/read it's a much better game now. Glad I held out a year to hop into it tbh. On the whole I've enjoyed my time with Destiny so far. Story is okay, if a little short. Crucible is brilliant, and it serves as a great alternative to Halo PvP since the two games play basically the same (but Halo 5 is Xbone exclusive and plagued with microstransactions, so I won't be buying that ever). I will say though, that I regret not shelling out the full £50 for The Taken King expansion to begin with. Unless you have TTK, once you hit the level cap of 34, you are literally stuck behind a paywall. You can't even get Legendary Marks to earn better gear with. The only Exotic I've managed to get my hands on is a set of gauntlets for my Titan (by trading with Xur) that I can't even equip because they're lvl40 gear...a level you can only reach with TTK.

I do agree that bundling TTK with the base game is a dumb idea...but I understand why the decision was made. The game is a hell of a lot better with the expansion. I'll still probably buy it anyways after levelling a character of each class to 34 and taking a break from it for a few months...I just wish there was something left to do for non-TTK players post-story. 

Also, as much as I hate Team Ninja's business practice of slightly improving a game/adding a few new characters & mechanics/stuffing a game full of on-disc DLC and re-releasing it every year or so, I still went ahead and bought Dead or Alive 5 again...for PSVita this time. Along with the original 360 version & DOA5:LastRound on PS4, this is now the third time I've bought the game. It was on sale though...and I still enjoy the heck out of it. :-D

Yeah from what I've heard/read it's a much better game now. Glad I held out a year to hop into it tbh. On the whole I've enjoyed my time with Destiny so far. Story is okay, if a little short. Crucible is brilliant, and it serves as a great alternative to Halo PvP since the two games play basically the same (but Halo 5 is Xbone exclusive and plagued with microstransactions, so I won't be buying that ever). I will say though, that I regret not shelling out the full £50 for The Taken King expansion to begin with. Unless you have TTK, once you hit the level cap of 34, you are literally stuck behind a paywall. You can't even get Legendary Marks to earn better gear with. The only Exotic I've managed to get my hands on is a set of gauntlets for my Titan (by trading with Xur) that I can't even equip because they're lvl40 gear...a level you can only reach with TTK.

I do agree that bundling TTK with the base game is a dumb idea...but I understand why the decision was made. The game is a hell of a lot better with the expansion. I'll still probably buy it anyways after levelling a character of each class to 34 and taking a break from it for a few months...I just wish there was something left to do for non-TTK players post-story. 

Also, as much as I hate Team Ninja's business practice of slightly improving a game/adding a few new characters & mechanics/stuffing a game full of on-disc DLC and re-releasing it every year or so, I still went ahead and bought Dead or Alive 5 again...for PSVita this time. Along with the original 360 version & DOA5:LastRound on PS4, this is now the third time I've bought the game. It was on sale though...and I still enjoy the heck out of it. :-D

It is pretty unfortunate that people are stuck behind a literal paywall in order to advance their level. I did re-buy the game with TTK and as a note to new players such as yourself Chris; DO NOT DELETE THE SWORD. I forget what quest you get it from, but you only get one sword from the quest, no swords from drops, etc. I was not notified of this because I thought swords were going to be a regular item, and thus deleted my sword for it being a low attack level. You can upgrade you sword as well. Another great feature about TTK is light is based on defense/attack instead of an actual light level. In year one sometimes you would find stuff with more light, but lower attack so if you were trying to do raids, you would have to sadly delete it or tough it out with having lower attack/defense.

I was replaying through the BttF Telltale game because I only beat episode 3. It's interesting to go back all these years later, just like watching the movies again. On a writing level they are very solid.

On the multiplayer side I've been playing Final Exam with some friends. Pretty standard stuff in terms of zombie-not-zombie run and gun. It's like a 2D L4D and is decently hard.

I'm mostly playing ultra street fighter 4

I love fighting games and have tried several times to get into SF4, but I just can't. I don't know what it is about SF games, but I can't just sit down and enjoy them like most fighters. SF5 is looking freaking sweet though.

Also I've been playing more Monster Hunter, FF9 (£4 on the PSStore) & I just started Helldivers (free with PSPlus). Helldivers is fun...but the servers are broken as hell right now with the influx of PSPlus players, so I can only play it solo. It was not designed to be played solo...

I'm mostly playing ultra street fighter 4

I love fighting games and have tried several times to get into SF4, but I just can't. I don't know what it is about SF games, but I can't just sit down and enjoy them like most fighters. SF5 is looking freaking sweet though.

Also I've been playing more Monster Hunter, FF9 (£4 on the PSStore) & I just started Helldivers (free with PSPlus). Helldivers is fun...but the servers are broken as hell right now with the influx of PSPlus players, so I can only play it solo. It was not designed to be played solo...

Street fighter 4 is a hard game to get into. From the moment you start everyone online is freaken amazing compared to a new player. You gotta get good fast. I was able to get good enough to compete with the online population quickly thanks to my past fighting game experiences.

But yeah man sf5 looks beast. When I'm able to get a ps4 I'm getting that.

Mario Maker. The red coins make a great addition to the game.

The Division is a decent game, nothing too new here, but if you like looting and shooting then you'll enjoy it. 

Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance.

With confusing plot and all. Not too confusing this time around.

Since my relatives have some good games on the SNES, I've been playing tmnt 4, tetris attack, and aladdin. I managed to beat tetris attack on hard, and I'm trying to beat it on super hard now. I played tmnt 4 with my cousin and managed to beat it on hard as well, managing to get little to no continues because we wombo combo'd a boss that can pretty much take out a single life in the matter of seconds if you give it enough room. Aladdin seems to be giving me the most trouble though, and I have no idea why. 

Since my relatives have some good games on the SNES, I've been playing tmnt 4, tetris attack, and aladdin. I managed to beat tetris attack on hard, and I'm trying to beat it on super hard now. I played tmnt 4 with my cousin and managed to beat it on hard as well, managing to get little to no continues because we wombo combo'd a boss that can pretty much take out a single life in the matter of seconds if you give it enough room. Aladdin seems to be giving me the most trouble though, and I have no idea why. 

I bought a SNES this year since our family never had one when I was a kid. So far I've beaten SuperMarioWorld and played a lot of StreetFighterII (because they're the only games I have for it yet).

I'm still mostly playing Street Fighter V though. Its far from finished and the lack of content is concerning, but god damn is playing online fun...when it works. I seem to get matched with bad connections a lot so I've stopped playing ranked games recently (because there's nothing more frustrating than losing because of someone else's connection or having someone rage quit on you), but casual mode is still pretty fun. Waiting on that March update to drop right now.

Also today I played a little F2P MMORPG on Steam called Dragomon Hunter. It's nothing original (basically just PokemonXMonsterHunter) but I got a couple hours of fun out of it. I probably won't be going back to it though:

download_zpspqjuocuv.jpg