• Announcements

• megan

New Registrations can now post threads with mod approval   02/08/2017

Just updated the permission settings so New Registrations can post threads in all forums that Members can -- but the first 3 posts/threads will still need to be approved by a Moderator before being upgraded to Member status. Member status = ability to post without going through Approval Queue, ability to change profile and edit signatures, ability to us the Private Messaging system.    As a reminder, this Approval Queue is put into place to prevent spammers from coming in and dropping harmful or offensive messages & links all over the place.    Please note that the moderators will do their best to approve as quickly as possible, but it may take a day or two during busy times. Multiple posts with the same information will be deleted and will not count towards the 3 posts, so please be patient and we'll get to your posts ASAP. Thanks!   Also, as a new member of our community, please feel free to introduce yourself to everyone in this thread:  Welcome to the Behemoth Forums! <3 
ThePieGuy

What game are you playing ATM?

1,150 posts in this topic

Finally playing through Metal Gear Solid; I'm just skipping Metal Gear 2 because I'm tired of old 2D stealth games. Right now I'm at the tank boss which isn't very far but I'm already seeing the same great mix of story and gameplay that I loved in Metal Gear. The inclusion of more distinct characters like Revolver Ocelot and Meryl definitely helps. I'm really happy to finally be getting into these games! (Can't find that mine detector though and that's annoying me)

If you have the Thermal Goggles you can see the the mines in the snow.
Oh dang that makes sense. I never thought to try that, Deepthroat made it sound like it was a different item so I went lookin for it. Thanks!

I've also gotten into Danganronpa 2, and I'm all over it. It's the perfect way to do a sequel, improving on everything from the first game and providing a fresh new story that connects perfectly with the original. I wish I had more people to obsess over this game with, I haven't been this invested in a narrative in quite a while.

Please talk about the ending once you finish it. I wanna talk about it.
Will do!!

There is a mine detector but ultimately becomes pointless like the cigs, they are meant to be used to see the lasers but with the thermal goggles you can see the lasers more clearly.  

If you cannot tell, I am a huge fan of the Metal Gear franchise  :lol:

Edited by AdamBRT

Hey lemme in on the Danganronpa chat too, Daikon. It's my jam.

Lately I've been diving into multiplayer games, namely Shellshock Live, Rocket League, Overwatch, and Town of Salem. I'd definitely love to play Shellshock Live and Rocket League with more people if anyone else has those, although I only have those games on PC. (I'd say the same for Overwatch but I kind of suck at it ATM and I'd probably just weigh other people down)

As far as singleplayer games go I think I'm gonna try to finish Deadly Premonition next, although I'm scared because I upgraded my video drivers recently and Deadly Premonition has thrown violent temper tantrums over such things in the past

Aye finish up that DP bruther.

I personally have been playing DOOM. It's the hottest single player shooter around.

EDIT: On the other side of the spectrum, I'm also playing through Life Is Strange for the first time, just finished episode 1. Seems really cool so far, kinda gives me Deadly Premonition vibes when it comes to characters and the little bit of jank in the game. If you're into adventure games I'd recommend giving it a look based on the bit I've played thus far.

Edited by Mr. Hatty

I'm still going back to SFV nearly every day. I'm in a love-hate relationship with it; I love the gameplay...I just hate everything else.

Also started playing Monster Hunter Freedom Unite again in preparation for Generations in July.

And I just finished up the JJBA: Eyes of Heaven demo. Lot of content in there for a demo: the full first story chapter and an offline VS CPU mode w/ 4 playable characters. Not baaad.

Battleborn. Currently having some matchmaking issues, but soon they're reverting it to the better system they had a week ago. Most likely. They might alter the current system a bit.

Battleborn itself is pretty fun, just gets a lot of bad rep because of Gearbox apparently being the antichrist, 2K being the publisher, and Battleborn being an "Overwatch Clone" despite it being revealed and released before. Also, the games' only similarity is that they're fps with "hero" style characters. Battleborn is more akin to a MOBA.

Battleborn. Currently having some matchmaking issues, but soon they're reverting it to the better system they had a week ago. Most likely. They might alter the current system a bit.

Battleborn itself is pretty fun, just gets a lot of bad rep because of Gearbox apparently being the antichrist, 2K being the publisher, and Battleborn being an "Overwatch Clone" despite it being revealed and released before. Also, the games' only similarity is that they're fps with "hero" style characters. Battleborn is more akin to a MOBA.

I've seen gameplay and I definitely agree, the most kneejerk reaction is that it is an overwatch clone, but overwatch is more of a team hero shooter. I just spent some decent money on games that were on sale recently on the xbox marketplace, but I have thought about buying the game to give it a try. 

It doesn't look like a bad game but the whole "grind insane amounts of time for free characters or pay for them" thing put me off

Furi is awesome, and currently free for PS4 PSPlus subscribers. It's an almost perfect mix of Bullet Hell and Hack n Slash. I've been playing it recently

I've been playing The Witness (aka "That $40 Sudoku Book Jonathan Blow Released Earlier This Year") and it's honestly the best puzzle game I've ever played. Brilliant puzzle design, really beautiful and peaceful environments, and some interesting secrets sprinkled around. Looks very simple from the trailers but there's a surprising amount of depth to the puzzles, and the game does a great job of giving you the tools to learn every different type of puzzle on your own. Reminds me a lot of Fez. I've sunk 50+ hours into this game already without any guides used and I'm still looking for the last few puzzles but I have every intention of finding them all before I put this game down.

My only complaints are:

-some specific types of puzzles are very difficult if not impossible to complete if you're colorblind/deaf/susceptible to motion sickness

-there's one specific puzzle in the late-game whose solution appears to be "reset your file and start over from the beginning", and I had to ask around on Reddit to make sure there wasn't another solution to find (which there is, thankfully) but that's still like a really big design flaw

Overall though I definitely recommend it, there are a lot of great indie games coming out this year (*cough* INSIDE *cough*) but this is probably the best puzzle game I'll play this year

I've been playing The Witness (aka "That $40 Sudoku Book Jonathan Blow Released Earlier This Year") and it's honestly the best puzzle game I've ever played. Brilliant puzzle design, really beautiful and peaceful environments, and some interesting secrets sprinkled around. Looks very simple from the trailers but there's a surprising amount of depth to the puzzles, and the game does a great job of giving you the tools to learn every different type of puzzle on your own. Reminds me a lot of Fez. I've sunk 50+ hours into this game already without any guides used and I'm still looking for the last few puzzles but I have every intention of finding them all before I put this game down.

My only complaints are:

-some specific types of puzzles are very difficult if not impossible to complete if you're colorblind/deaf/susceptible to motion sickness

-there's one specific puzzle in the late-game whose solution appears to be "reset your file and start over from the beginning", and I had to ask around on Reddit to make sure there wasn't another solution to find (which there is, thankfully) but that's still like a really big design flaw

Overall though I definitely recommend it, there are a lot of great indie games coming out this year (*cough* INSIDE *cough*) but this is probably the best puzzle game I'll play this year

Speaking of amazing puzzle games that everybody says is over-priced: Stephens Sausage Roll.

It's an AMAZING and super hard puzzle game that looks a little bit like rubbish. I found out about it through Jonathan Blow's praise, so you know it's got to be pretty great.

I don't really know what else to say about it... There's a LOT of puzzles which use about 10 mechanics or less (total), and each area gets way harder than you thought the game even COULD be.

100% completed Kirby: Planet Robobot a couple days ago, honest opinion this is one of the best games I've played in a while, it definitely is now in my top 3 kirby games (being pretty much a three-way tie between SuperStar Ultra, Robobot, and Amazing Mirror.) The story is short and sweet, it doesn't overstay its welcome. the collectables are a lot less jerkish than they were in Return to Dreamland, and while they may be a bit easy to get, they provide a nice way  to keep a steady pace through story mode and not just blaze through it like you're going to run it at the next AGDQ or something. The sub-games are better than ever (really, there were very few sub-games that I enjoyed to play through to the end in the kirby series.) The pause lore is really fun to speculate and think about, the game has a whole new perspective if you take the time to read the descriptions to the bosses. Speaking of the bosses, holy crap are they fun, each one is unique in its own way, and I never got tired of playing through the true arena for those last few stickers.

TL;DR play Robobot, its one of the games that I can confidently give it a 10/10, and its criminally underrated, like nobody talks about it.

Monster Hunter and Street Fighter. Not really any specific games from the two series, I'm kind of switching between a bunch of them right now.

Strider. the Double Helix one.

I keep meaning to pick that up for PS4 on sale, but keep forgetting to whenever it does. Would you recommend it to people who dont play many Metroidvania games?

Strider. the Double Helix one.

I keep meaning to pick that up for PS4 on sale, but keep forgetting to whenever it does. Would you recommend it to people who dont play many Metroidvania games?

I've never touched a metroidvania game, but I've loved Strider for the 5-6 hours I've played.

I should play it again.

Edited by yugo657

i cant stand Metroid or Castlevania. but this game i have no problem with so far.

EDIT: started playing Beyond Good and Evil HD DX: Director's Cut.

...i havent actually done anything in the game yet so no impression will be given.

Edited by True213

i cant stand Metroid or Castlevania. but this game i have no problem with so far.

...i havent actually done anything in the game yet so no impression will be given.

Why do you hate Metroid and Castlevania? 

Lately I'm jumping back and forth between Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.

#FE is just as good as I hoped it would be, and I had high hopes for it even after seeing the gameplay. It's really good as a SMT game from a gameplay perspective. It shares a lot of the same attack skills as any mainline SMT I've played but adds even more with sword/lance/axe/bow types and the battle system is pretty fun with Session attacks and special performance attacks and such. I will say it seems easier than you might expect a SMT game to be, but this is a game meant to be played for fun anyways. The story isn't anything special and if you didn't like the look of the trailers then you probably wanna stay away from this game. The visuals are really nice, music is good (I wouldn't say terrific though), writing is sorta cringey when it tries too hard but can be pretty funny when it doesn't take itself too seriously. I'm 30 hours in, at chapter 3 (out of 8, I think) and I'm really enjoying it.

SMT Nocturne is of course really great too and has a much cooler story than #FE. The gameplay is a bit more difficult and reminds me a lot of Lisa the Painful which I think is fantastic. It's not often that my team is fully healed and it always feels like I'm in danger, plus the day/night cycle has a lot of cool effects on the gameplay. The soundtrack is fantastic too. My only complaint is that the game tells you hardly anything about the battle system, but it's very similar to SMT4's battle system so it wouldn't matter much if you played that one before. If you want a good SMT game with a dark and mature tone then you'd better play this one. (Right now I'm at Ginza, stuck at the boss outside of Loki's room.)

One thing I really hate about both of these games is how getting a game over sends you back to your last save, which could be anywhere from minutes to hours of game time depending on where you are. Nocturne is way more guilty of this since you can only save at certain areas, and I think it's kind of a crime for narrative-heavy RPGs to do this to you and make you replay potentially hours of content.

Lately I'm jumping back and forth between Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.

tumblr_inline_mtujtxu1jJ1rw38tc.png

Nahh but seriously, I should give the SMT/Persona games a look sometime; they sound right up my alley but there's so much lore and backstory to the series. I feel I'd be jumping in at the deep end and that seems a bit overwhelming.

I should give the SMT/Persona games a look sometime; they sound right up my alley but there's so much lore and backstory to the series. I feel I'd be jumping in at the deep end and that seems a bit overwhelming.

That's how I felt too when I started playing them, but from what I can tell you can really start anywhere in the series. (Isaac would know this better than I would though since he's actually finished SMT/Persona games)

I would HIGHLY recommend starting with SMT4 though since that game teaches the standard battle system better than any of the ones I've played. (It also has a sequel coming out soon that I've been hearing great things about.) Devil Survivor: Overclocked is pretty good too, it's a grid-based SRPG so the gameplay is a little different but it's still good at teaching standard SMT mechanics like fusing demons. Both of those are on 3DS and go on sale pretty frequently, I have to imagine you could grab either of those for like $10 if you check in on the eShop every now and then.

Why do you hate Metroid and Castlevania? 

i despise getting lost to the point where i require a guidebook or FAQ to continue. Also i just cant deal with Castlevania's constantly respawning enemies. Most games do that but Castlevanina's irk me much more than the others

(MEDUSA HEADS!!!!!!!!)