SushiGummy

Bonus Pixel - Sushigummy's Gaming Blog

zFrxI.png

(Click to visit)

Hey everybody. I've decided, with all that I'm learning in my game design program right now, it would be to my benefit to write about video games during my free time. So, for anybody who enjoys reading my ridiculous gaming-related walls of text, I'll be posting all sorts of goodies here. (I promise, they won't all be walls of text)

If you look through it, please let me know what you think! In addition, if there's any game-related thing you want me to talk about, post about it here (or somewhere else, I don't really care).

Well, I made the effort to read all of it and not stop whenever it started sounding ridiculous, so bear with me.

Most of the first part is just stating the obvious, which wasn't really needed, so I won't talk much about that.

Now I'm going to go ahead and say that I do not agree with you. I mean, I respect your opinion and all, but it does sound like you're giving Kirby credit for something it doesn't intend to accomplish. I personally don't swallow enemies because I like their playstyles better when playing Kirby. I smallow them because in one situation I am going to need their power.

To me it's not customization. If THIS is customization, then switching to your bow in Morrowind is customization. If this is customization, deciding to roll kritzkrieg in TF2 is customization. If this is customization, choosing to build a m-tank and not a tank in advance wars is customization. You get my point.

I don't have anything against Kirby, I remember playing the game boy Kirby dreamland quite a lot in my time. But what I do believe when I read this blog entry is that, you're grasping at straws.

Don't get mad at me for saying that, but the way you put it, it sounds like you like Kirby so much, you're giving it praise for something it doesn't do at all.

What I AM going to agree with though is that the choices you make in Kirby, while they don't radically change the course of the plot and such like it does in Fable, change the actual gameplay, in a way that Alien Hominid did with the different weapons you would pick up. This is a very good point you brought up because, it does emphasize the difference you made between adventures and games.

We as gamers, are here to play, not to watch cutscenes or listen to dialogues. The latter tends to be put forward too often in the more recent "mainstream" games. I don't have anything against Bioshock, for instance, but in this game, no matter what path you take, you will end up fighting the same final boss with the same weapons and outside of the cutscenes nothing will have change between two playthroughs, which deters to not only replayability, but the game itself, as an interactive media.

And to me it's not the way you make the choice (I don't really care whether the choise is made by swallowing a monster or killing a little girl) that matters, but the consequences of the choice; so once again:

Good kind of choice - Do action X, get power Y

choices that leave me Indifferent - Do action X, trigger cutscene Y

I agree with scarabix on the customization part, but i guess that you're just expressing your impression of it, and it's nice to see a different point of view like that, didn't think about it like that until now.

Your new blog is great though.

Hey everybody. I've decided, with all that I'm learning in my game design program right now, it would be to my benefit to write about video games during my free time. So, for anybody who enjoys reading my ridiculous gaming-related walls of text, I'll be posting all sorts of goodies here. (I promise, they won't all be walls of text)

Right now, there's only one post up (not including the welcome post), and it's about how I think that Kirby portrays customization and choices better than games like Fable or Fallout do. If you're wondering how I can even go about claiming such ridiculous nonsense, give the blog a read, I've got like a billion paragraphs on it.

If you look through it, please let me know what you think! In addition, if there's any game-related thing you want me to talk about, post about it here (or somewhere else, I don't really care).

I have a topic up about Sonic the Hedgehog if you want to post about him over there.

Sonic The Hedgehog Forum

Edited by Gamefemale

>"sees Umbrella Kirby"

>Tries to hold back on the insurmountable rage forged from this one, simple, human error.

*sigh* It's Parasol Kirby. PARASOL. I'll forgive you this one time. Once.

Scarabix:

I mean, I respect your opinion and all, but it does sound like you're giving Kirby credit for something it doesn't intend to accomplish.

Actually, there is something else I've learned from my college relating to this. There are little to no accidents when it comes to game design. It's the designer's job to make sure that every little thing has significance, and to know everything about their game. So, yes, I definitely do think it was intended. Especially since Masahiro Sakurai was the one who created Kirby in the first place. Many people seem to underestimate just how much work a designer puts into a game, but it really is a huge job. If I was able to catch the self-discovery present in Kirby, I can guarantee Masahiro was able to catch it as well.

I personally don't swallow enemies because I like their playstyles better when playing Kirby. I smallow them because in one situation I am going to need their power.

That's Expression! :-D You're expressing yourself by choosing the powers that give you an advantage, rather than choosing the powers you like more. I choose powers based on how fun they are to play around with.

To me it's not customization. If THIS is customization, then switching to your bow in Morrowind is customization. If this is customization, deciding to roll kritzkrieg in TF2 is customization. If this is customization, choosing to build a m-tank and not a tank in advance wars is customization. You get my point.

Well, there's a difference between customization and choices. I totally agree, Kirby isn't exactly wide on customization. If you Ctrl+F my post and search for customization, I only really used it twice, and only the first use was referring to Kirby. Though I didn't mean it to say "Kirby has a lot of customization," I meant it more as "These games have the type of customization that allow the player to change appearances."

Expression is all about choices and freedom, and the portrayal of this in Kirby is what makes it my favorite Expression game.

I don't have anything against Kirby, I remember playing the game boy Kirby dreamland quite a lot in my time. But what I do believe when I read this blog entry is that, you're grasping at straws.

I hope you're not talking about the first Kirby's Dreamland. He doesn't have the copy ability in that one. :-P

What I AM going to agree with though is that the choices you make in Kirby, while they don't radically change the course of the plot and such like it does in Fable, change the actual gameplay, in a way that Alien Hominid did with the different weapons you would pick up. This is a very good point you brought up because, it does emphasize the difference you made between adventures and games.

I'm going to take this even a step further and say that someone could make the argument that the outcomes of the choices in Kirby are better than the outcomes of choices in Fable. A choice doesn't need to open up a new ending or path in order to be good. Bigger changes to the world don't necessarily mean better Expression. If that were the case, game collections would have a significant amount of Expression just for allowing the player to choose the game they want to play at the main menu. How players express themselves in a game is significantly more important than what they express themselves with.

We as gamers, are here to play, not to watch cutscenes or listen to dialogues. The latter tends to be put forward too often in the more recent "mainstream" games. I don't have anything against Bioshock, for instance, but in this game, no matter what path you take, you will end up fighting the same final boss with the same weapons and outside of the cutscenes nothing will have change between two playthroughs, which deters to not only replayability, but the game itself, as an interactive media.

I haven't played BioShock yet, so I can't really comment on this particular case, but like I mentioned before, a game doesn't need multiple endings or branching story paths to have good Expression. Heck, depending on the game, it could actually cause a negative effect.

And to me it's not the way you make the choice (I don't really care whether the choise is made by swallowing a monster or killing a little girl) that matters, but the consequences of the choice; so once again:

Good kind of choice - Do action X, get power Y

choices that leave me Indifferent - Do action X, trigger cutscene Y

I'm kinda being scrambled by the word 'choice' here, I'll have to clarify a bit.

When I said "You don’t play Kirby games because they have choices. You play them because of the choices themselves" the bold 'choices' isn't referring to the in-game choices you have to make, rather, it's referring to the abilities. So, yes, I totally agree with you here, it's the outcome of the choice that matters. So why do designers need to keep reminding the players that they're making choices if it's the outcomes that are important?

For instance, someone who wants to play the new Fable is thinking "I want to play the new Fable because it gives me so many choices."

While someone who wants to play the new Kirby is thinking "I want to play the new Kirby because it has new abilities I want to try out."

Expression is all about being yourself, and you can't be yourself in a game unless you put yourself into the game, and you can't put yourself into the game unless the game immerses you into its environment, and the game can't immerse you into the environment if it continuously reminds you about the choices it's giving you. Kirby lets the players make important, gameplay-changing choices without them even knowing that they're making choices. That's why I find Kirby's choices to be more meaningful.

I agree with scarabix on the customization part, but i guess that you're just expressing your impression of it, and it's nice to see a different point of view like that, didn't think about it like that until now.

Your new blog is great though.

Well, I already covered the customization bit earlier in this post. Glad you like the blog, though! :-)

I have a topic up about Sonic the Hedgehog if you want to post about him over there.

Sonic The Hedgehog Forum

I'm not much into Sonic the Hedgehog. Actually, I sorta have a love-hate relationship with him. Sonic Generations is pretty much the only Sonic game I've ever actually enjoyed, though I'm still missing out on a few of the better ones.

UMBRELLA KIRBY IS MY FAVORITE

Sonic The Hedgehog Forum

I'm not much into Sonic the Hedgehog. Actually, I sorta have a love-hate relationship with him. Sonic Generations is pretty much the only Sonic game I've ever actually enjoyed, though I'm still missing out on a few of the better ones.

UMBRELLA KIRBY IS MY FAVORITE

Two things, one I don't really like Sonic that much either and I'm glad it's not just me.

Two, I always called it Parasol Kirby, but my brothers always called him Umbrella Kirby, I was about to believe them because they're older than me so I have started to trust them with games, but I trust true on this because I think it is Parasol Kirby as well. I also believe him because he's called true.

Keep at the posting though, I might read more of all that business.

Edited by daikonboy101

personally i think its great idea. its always good for someone to express themselves somehow. the fact that you're doing it on video games n, stuff is pretty cool. the only problem is, is that im going to be spending a lot of time on these forums that i might not check in on what going on in your blog. also since i plan on having flash up on my screen for sometime now, i might not be able to check you blog. ok im gunna get to the point now. I dont like blogs on other peoples opinions that much but i think its a good idea that your expressing yourself about stuff. all in all, good luck with your blog and stuff :P

Edited by ChickenOffender

Personally, I would love to make a game opinion-y sort of thing, but I don't know how. How do you do it? I would especially want to do it so that I could show off in class, because people just love it when people are better than them with technology.

Edited by daikonboy101

Sonic The Hedgehog Forum

I'm not much into Sonic the Hedgehog. Actually, I sorta have a love-hate relationship with him. Sonic Generations is pretty much the only Sonic game I've ever actually enjoyed, though I'm still missing out on a few of the better one

I could kind of tell by the spoiler in your signature. I will have to agree and say that Sonic Generations was a great game, but in my opinion, the best game in the series would have to be a tie between Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heroes. If you hate Sonic, then I sense a rivalry in front of us, SushiGummy!

Sonic The Hedgehog Forum

I'm not much into Sonic the Hedgehog. Actually, I sorta have a love-hate relationship with him. Sonic Generations is pretty much the only Sonic game I've ever actually enjoyed, though I'm still missing out on a few of the better one

I could kind of tell by the spoiler in your signature. I will have to agree and say that Sonic Generations was a great game, but in my opinion, the best game in the series would have to be a tie between Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heroes. If you hate Sonic, then I sense a rivalry in front of us, SushiGummy!

I'm afraid I see a rivalry ahead of us Gamefemale.

Now honestly, I don't have a tumblr nor do I ever plan on creating an account. But I do think your opinions are interesting. If you ever started uploading rant videos to youtube, I would most likely become a regular viewer. As unfortunately, freaking Opooooona dose not reach my interests. Also, if you ever decide to do a Nintendo part 2, it would be great if you could talk about the Wii U some more, or even some of the recent E3's. Everyone seems to think the Wii U is some abomination that will fail this generation of gamers and that there E3's are horrible. While I personally always enjoy there E3's and think the Wii U looks quite amazing.

Also....Is this a pikmin?

HObmXoQ.png

Now honestly, I don't have a tumblr nor do I ever plan on creating an account. But I do think your opinions are interesting. If you ever started uploading rant videos to youtube, I would most likely become a regular viewer. As unfortunately, freaking Opooooona dose not reach my interests. Also, if you ever decide to do a Nintendo part 2, it would be great if you could talk about the Wii U some more, or even some of the recent E3's. Everyone seems to think the Wii U is some abomination that will fail this generation of gamers and that there E3's are horrible. While I personally always enjoy there E3's and think the Wii U looks quite amazing.

Also....Is this a pikmin?

HObmXoQ.png

Thanks! I do plan on uploading some game discussion videos in the future, including my Smash Bros 4 predictions. If I create anything discussion-related, whether it be a video, comic, or blog entry, I'll probably post it on the blog as well as on the forums.

As for the E3 bit, I don't really take sides on it. It seems more like a matter of opinion at that point. I'm confident that there are probably people out there who belittle Nintendo's E3s for bad reasons, but overall, I don't see many complaints being directed towards the E3 itself. I think Nintendo's been voted the 'winner' for the last three years or so.

The "Wii U is an abomination/failure" claim definitely gets thrown around a lot more, mostly through personal distaste and, in rarer cases, general Nintendo hatery. I might cover more specific claims about the Wii U later on.

And yes.

I have to say, I'm both impressed and at the same time not surprised  You write some nice articles and appreciate the work and effort you've put into this.

Uh-oh, I went to take a gander at your hovering text and now I'm getting a "page not found" error...  :shock: WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Uh-oh, I went to take a gander at your hovering text and now I'm getting a "page not found" error...  :shock: WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Here: http://bonuspixel.tumblr.com/post/51537503397/5-elements-necessary-for-a-pokemon-snap-sequel

I never played Pokemon Snap before, but I'll be sure to try it.

You're crazy.  I literally still have my actual copy for my N64.

Here: http://bonuspixel.tumblr.com/post/51537503397/5-elements-necessary-for-a-pokemon-snap-sequel

I never played Pokemon Snap before, but I'll be sure to try it.

You're crazy.  I literally still have my actual copy for my N64.

I was little at N64's time, so I probably wouldn't have played it even if I had a N64 because there was a time where I wasn't allowed to play E rated games. FYI, my first E rated game was Sonic Heroes.