trickster2599

What Are Your Favorite Soundtracks From Games?

300 posts in this topic

I guess I didn't phrase that right I meant the game sucked and a lot of the music wasn't that good (there we're a few good songs) compared to some of the other games. Your also right about reach the music wasn't good so I barely ever even noticed the music in it.

Edited by noblepeanut

honestly, I don't pay that much attention to newer soundtracks, I'm not saying they suck, I guess i just like older games music more.

3 of my favorites would be:

-Duck Tales (nes game)

-Chrono Trigger

-Secret of Mana

honestly, I don't pay that much attention to newer soundtracks, I'm not saying they suck, I guess i just like older games music more.

-Duck Tales (nes game)

-Chrono Trigger

-Secret of Mana

Yeah, I feel like game companies don't put much effort into music anymore. MGS still manages to be good at it.

I may be amiss in posting a bunch of links, but I remember this indie game called MADNESSMADNESSMADNESS that makes use of this song by an artist called Covox. His songs can sound like noise, but the ones specifically the ones from his eponymous EP (one of which was used for the aforementioned game) are some of my favorites. The one from the game is called Switchblade Squadron, it's pretty hawt if you ask me, and can be found at the bottom of the SoundCloud posted below.

Game (Enjoyable in its own right):

http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/102116-madnessmadnessmadness

Covox SoundCloud:

https://soundcloud.com/covox

-Duck Tales (nes game)

-Chrono Trigger

-Secret of Mana

Yeah, I feel like game companies don't put much effort into music anymore. MGS still manages to be good at it.

I saw the preview video of Destiny (Bungie) and the soundtrack was pretty epic to me. also reminded Halo a lot.

-Duck Tales (nes game)

-Chrono Trigger

-Secret of Mana

I saw the preview video of Destiny (Bungie) and the soundtrack was pretty epic to me. also reminded Halo a lot.

Marty is releasing new music!? I'll see you guys in a few days I've got to go listen to some music (assuming it's up to par with his other works)

Halo 2 theme by Steve Vai

I'm going to go for a walk to cool off, and then tell you how and why Steve Vai didn't make that song.

The best theme to a game ever.

You could take any song from that game and call it a masterpiece.

As if the fight was hard enough, they had to put the best music ever.

Vs Cackletta,  M&L SuperStar Saga

Edited by IndustrialKnight

God of War

God of War II

God of War III

EPIC soundtrack

Not to be negative, but don't they just repeat the same 2 songs over and over...?

Also, not trying to spam the Metroid Prime Soundtrack, but every song from it is perfecttt

Edited by Turkey

God of War

God of War II

God of War III

EPIC soundtrack

Not to be negative, but don't they just repeat the same 2 songs over and over...?

Also, not trying to spam the Metroid Prime Soundtrack, but every song from it is perfecttt

It's a trend that happens in most game. It's actually a smart idea and I have nothing against it as long as they're doing it for the right reasons and they're not just being unimaginative.

How do you feel about Phendra Drifts, and if you like it do you prefer the overworld version or the Space Pirate mix?

God of War

God of War II

God of War III

EPIC soundtrack

It's a trend that happens in most game. It's actually a smart idea and I have nothing against it as long as they're doing it for the right reasons and they're not just being unimaginative.

How do you feel about Phendra Drifts, and if you like it do you prefer the overworld version or the Space Pirate mix?

I think Phenandra Drifts has the best atmosphere in that part of the game, especially the first room/area. I definitely prefer the normal overworld version.

Oh my God

It's a pretty long video, but my favorite moments are at:

0:15:02

0:47:28

0:57:40

1:09:08

Good lord, let's get some Touhou in here...

Edited by GoldenGhost

Good lord, let's get some Touhou in here...

Here you go:

It gets better after the first track.

But is it the best main menu theme ever?

It has competition for that right.

There is one more i want to post but im under contract about revealing the details.

There is one more i want to post but im under contract about revealing the details.

Too jumpy, turns me off.

I'm going to rain on your parade by saying that I don't like it. There's no depth to it. It's just background music. It reminds me of the crappy Custom Robo's soundtrack in the worst of ways. I don't think it makes a good menu theme either. As Turkey said, it's too jumpy. Main menu themes need solidarity.

Edited by T Diamond

How in the hell is that song jumpy especially when you compare to the Metroid Prime menu? Both are pretty jumpy to me. And now Diamond made my mood feel even worse by saying the music in another game was crappy.

Solidarity? Opinions are opinions but opinions can rattle other opinions to the boiling point. I mean seriously, a bunch of static in the background of a song is solid? What?! The song itself is good but saying that that song is solid sounds like a lie.

Age of mythology had a standout soundtrack however there are hundreds go great game soundtracks far to much to list here

How in the hell is that song jumpy especially when you compare to the Metroid Prime menu? Both are pretty jumpy to me. And now Diamond made my mood feel even worse by saying the music in another game was crappy.

Solidarity? Opinions are opinions but opinions can rattle other opinions to the boiling point. I mean seriously, a bunch of static in the background of a song is solid? What?! The song itself is good but saying that that song is solid sounds like a lie.

Sigh.You don't understand audiophilism at all. I'm going to try to say this without sounding elitest, but due there being no tone of voice it will most likely happen anyways.

First off there is absolutely NO correlation between one liking something and something being good. The two things are absolutely different. I love some things that are just absolutely terrible and I hate something that are actually amazing.Liking and disliking is just putting personal bias into judging something and basing it off of past experience and biological happiness

One can judge something as being good or bad without personal bias. A sort of objective judging. To do this in a video game soundtrack, one needs to look at the song. Look at the purpose and intent of the song. Then look at how the song being used. Based on how the brain correlates the setting depends on how the song should prevail. When doing this, one ignores the personal biases one might have towards the song unless it specifically fits a certain need, like some sort of theme song.

Looking at title screens specifically, a title screen music fits best when a solid song is prevailing that gives the brain support to: 1) start up the game and give a pseudo mental support to get it started, and 2) a background that is constant and thus filled with notes that the brain can hold onto so that the brain can stick to one thought for a longer period of time.

Now let's look at your song: The song moves back and forth between the two notes. This makes it hard for the brain to hold onto one thought and the fast upbeat of the supporting notes makes this even worse. There is a prevailing pattern but it is not there for the mind to pick up and hold onto. This makes it have weak solidarity. Something that title screen absolutely need. There is the exception to the rule if they're going for something different, but given that it is a racing game it would be foolish and probably even worse if they were.

Now the Metroid Prime theme. The constant beat in the background is used as the backbone of the song. It's strong prevalence gives the song the constant mental background the the brain needs for the pseudo mental support. There is a constant note pattern in the song. It's not so upbeat to where you lose focus in the song. It, combined with the beat, creates the notes and pattern that the brain can hold onto. These things put together make the song very solid. And good for a title menu.

Edited by T Diamond