• Announcements

• megan

Update 5: Infinite Wisdom is here!   10/05/2017

Hey everyone, We’re back with another update that really mixes some stuff up. An entirely new challenging mode, a rebalance of the entire game to go with the rework of the new leveling progression numbers, ability to do the co-op intro online, faster PVP rounds, language translations and more! With the rebalance you’ll find that your fighters are dealing even more damage as they gain experience. All balance changes are retro-active meaning you do not have to worry about starting over or starting new characters in order to experience that – they’re all dynamically applied to what you already have! Feel free to check out what we’ve changed in the list below, and as always – please leave us feedback about anything you find noteworthy. As always, the main Story (although not included in this update) is being developed alongside all these improvements we have been releasing. Check out our blog for the full changelist: http://blog.thebehemoth.com/2017/09/28/update-5-infinite-wisdom-is-here/
    • megan

Pit People's Final Touches   11/21/2017

It has been nearly a year since we launched Pit People on early access. This journey has been an incredible experience! We’ve built a better game thanks to all your feedback. So here’s a spicy little situation: We’ve decided that our next big drop will be the FULL version of the game! Yes, it shall be complete! You’ll be able to play through the story and find out what happens for everyone.  
        As we write this, we’re working on the last of the cinematics for the story campaign! This is the final push towards completing the game, alongside additional story quests and a new world map with bonus missions.
        Since there’s so much involved with these last steps (VO, animation, level creation, music licensing, QA testing, etc), we’re not exactly sure when everything will line up for a full release date, but we’re shooting to release within the first few months of 2018.
        Thank you again to all of the people who’ve been playing Pit People during early access and to everyone who has been sending us feedback. It has truly been invaluable and we can’t wait to share the conclusion of Pit People with you all!
Sign in to follow this  
Shad0wdar

Different Heads, Different Hitboxes?

Do different heads have different hitboxes?

Some heads are bigger than the others or just differently shaped,

does it influence hitboxes? If so, I'm going to use the smallest head

for my speedruns now.

I do not think so it would seem very odd if it did, thought some heads are very large. If i were you i would use any head not just the smallest because it does not seem to make a difference when i play, if any testing proves that hit boxes match with the heads i think it would mess up a lot of things and heads with get unused. so my guess is no

Edited by DarthGreen

This reminds me of the good old Halo: Reach hitbox claim. everyone set their character to female because they thought it reduced hitboxes...

• Upvote 1

I do think that certain heads have bigger hitboxes than others, it's basically a given, but the difference would be so molecular that it wouldn't make much of a difference, unless some Behemoth staff come out and say, "Hey! You know that favourite head of yours that you like to play with a lot? Yeah, that may be the reason you've been losing certain matches".

This reminds me of the good old Halo: Reach hitbox claim. everyone set their character to female because they thought it reduced hitboxes...

Oh the good ole' days.

I do think that certain heads have bigger hitboxes than others, it's basically a given, but the difference would be so molecular that it wouldn't make much of a difference, unless some Behemoth staff come out and say, "Hey! You know that favourite head of yours that you like to play with a lot? Yeah, that may be the reason you've been losing certain matches".

I don't think they have any sort of hitbox difference. It's just like changing layers in Photoshop to replace the head, they are all centered at a certain point and use the same hit boxes. 

Well when I make my flash games it goes something like this,

imagine your character is a cake (cakes have layers),

On the bottom of your cake you have the base, or the code if you want to get technical that people don't see which makes them move etc.

In the middle you have your Jam/chocolate, or the detection outline of how the character reacts with the world you have created

Lastly you have the icing, the lovely outer shell that everyone will see, the two usually don't mix so that you can change the icing easily without altering the code or the hitbox so you can use the same coding for multiple characters; which saves a HUGE amount of time...

So no, I don't think characters affect hitboxes.

Well when I make my flash games it goes something like this,

imagine your character is a cake (cakes have layers),

On the bottom of your cake you have the base, or the code if you want to get technical that people don't see which makes them move etc.

In the middle you have your Jam/chocolate, or the detection outline of how the character reacts with the world you have created

Lastly you have the icing, the lovely outer shell that everyone will see, the two usually don't mix so that you can change the icing easily without altering the code or the hitbox so you can use the same coding for multiple characters; which saves a HUGE amount of time...

So no, I don't think characters affect hitboxes.

That depemds on whether the system or engine has a built-in collision-detection facility.  Back in the old days of hardware sprites on the better micros and consoles, pixel overlap between sprites or even with background pixels of certain colors triggered a response from the system, such as an interrupt.  Having such functionality at the system level (including the game engine) saves a lot of headaches at the app level. 

I don't have any idea how this dev implements their collision detection on their 2D games.  Just making an observation that may impact the answer to the question at hand.  Only an official response will do here.

Edited by Cobra951