• Announcements

• megan

RTX 2017 - Booth 401   06/02/2017

We’re headed back to Austin, Texas for our 5th time exhibiting at Rooster Teeth Expo (RTX)! You’ll be able to find us at RTX 2017 Booth 401 (next to our friends, Supergiant Games) from July 7 to July 9 and we’re going to have lots of new stuff this year.   See our Blog Post for all the details, including the new merch we're bringing with us! 

118 posts in this topic

This is going to be a fantastic game and I cannot wait to learn more about it. Really happy that Nintendo is stepping into the shooter genre and proving that not every shooter has to be violent to be fully enjoyable.

I dunno, it looks like a game I should be into because I like deBlob, but... maybe it's because I'm just not into shooters.

I mean, the game looks great, but, eh, we'll see.

Yikes. Well this thread has been dead for quite a while, but seeing as we're less than a month away from the game's release and there's a Splatoon Direct later this week, I figured this thread needs a good dusting off. I'm very much excited for the release of Splatoon on the 29th; I've already preordered my copy from GameStop and am currently in the all-too-familiar position of staring longingly at the UK's preorder bonus.

So as I mentioned, there's a Splatoon Direct scheduled for May 7th at 10 AM EST/ 7 AM PST. I'm looking forward to hearing what Nintendo plans to talk about, seeing as we still know very little about what the online experience will be like. Aside from customizable characters and the lack of 12-year-olds screaming at each other over voice chat, we currently only know about one game mode: Turf War. The offline experience consists of "Octo Valley", a single-player campaign that appears to be rather complex and developed, as well as local multiplayer in the form of "Battle Dojo" where two players compete to see who can pop more balloons. It seems like we don't know much, but with a download size of 1.8 GB it's somewhat suspicious how much there really is left to see. I'm remaining optimistic, however, and hoping that Nintendo has simply discovered the secret to storing infinite amounts of data within the limited space on the Wii U hard drive.

Anyways, what I want to see from this Direct are some other game modes, particularly 1v1 local multiplayer using the Gamepad and the TV screen separately or at the very least some splitscreen multiplayer. Additionally I'm hoping there will be other online modes than Turf War, because as fun as Turf War sounds, it would be nice to have some variety in my Splatooning experience. Finally, I might be biased because of my amiibo-hoarding tendencies, but I also want more amiibo support. We know the game will support the Splatoon series of amiibo and presumably nothing else, although I have my fingers crossed that Nintendo is just hiding more amiibo support behind the curtain for now and are waiting to show off all of the cool character-themed accessories we can decorate our characters with. Yes, I want my Splatoon Inkling to have Wario's moustache, wear a cute Pikachu tail, and scream "I'm really feeling it", gosh darn it. I also want there to be an Inkling Smash DLC trailer that simultaneously debunks any chance of Roy appearing in Smash, but one can only dream I suppose.

I guess it's also worth mentioning that here's been a supposed "leak" about the Direct, although if I've learned one thing over the roller coaster ride of Smash leaks it's that nothing is worth believing until it comes out of Satoru Iwata's mouth or we see some actual footage. (It's only a matter of time before even the latter isn't enough to guarantee anything.) If you're still curious to hear what the "leak" has to say, here it is.

I'm hoping the leak is real, if only for a Super Mario Sunshine level. I mean, it makes way too much sense to include it.

The leak was fake of course, here is the Direct:

Biggest bits of news:

-SPLATOON GLOBAL TESTFIRE: downloadable demo for Splatoon, playable only during certain hours

May 8th: 8 PM - 9 PM PST (11 PM - 12 AM EST)

May 9th: 4 AM - 5 AM PST (7 AM - 8 AM EST), 12 PM - 1 PM PST (3 PM - 4 PM EST)

Available to download on eShop NOW!

-Online modes: Regular Battle (Turf War) and Ranked Battle (King of the Hill-esque game mode)

-you can join your friends' matches online; teams are shuffled every round

-In Regular Battle, online matches are played on one of two maps at a time; those two maps are cycled every 4 hours

-game will be constantly updated over the summer, including free new maps, game modes, weapons, and gear

-online custom matches with up to 8 players coming in August

-3 types of main weapons: shooters, chargers, rollers

-9 special weapons

-can equip main weapon, sub-weapon, and special weapon

-gear (clothing, shoes, hats) come with abilities that you can customize and add to

-5 maps in the game to start with

-Octo Valley, the single-player mode, has 28 levels

-4 in-game Splatoon-themed arcade games

-amiibo compatibility with Splatoon amiibos to get challenge missions that unlock costumes

-SPLATFEST: Events where two teams compete for points in matches across the region, winning team gets prizes

June 20th 6 AM PST (9 AM EST) - June 21st 6 AM PST (9 AM EST)

US: Cats vs Dogs; UK: Rock vs Pop; Japan: Rice vs Bread

-In the US, preordering from GameStop gives you two free codes for Splatoon Mii costumes in Smash Bros (coming as paid DLC in Summer 2015)

So after playing the DEMO for it's first designated hour, I can say that the game is really, really fun. I'm not really a big FPS guy but this is a game I can really recommend to anyone.

My only real gripe is that the camera controls default to tilting the Gamepad around to move the camera, while the right stick still moved the camera left and right. You have to change the camera controls manually to fix it. For sensitivity I recommend between -2 and -1.

As for the gameplay, it's really good. You can use special abilities assigned to four weapons and it also changed what special weapon you got. I can easily say that the Roller is the most overpowered weapon in the game, at least to my knowledge. It kills in one hit and it covers a wide area in your color of paint. It's incredibly fast paced and I loved every second of it.

Sorry for my garbage reviews, back to random images and short sentences

So after playing the DEMO for it's first designated hour, I can say that the game is really, really fun. I'm not really a big FPS guy but this is a game I can really recommend to anyone.

My only real gripe is that the camera controls default to tilting the Gamepad around to move the camera, while the right stick still moved the camera left and right. You have to change the camera controls manually to fix it. For sensitivity I recommend between -2 and -1.

As for the gameplay, it's really good. You can use special abilities assigned to four weapons and it also changed what special weapon you got. I can easily say that the Roller is the most overpowered weapon in the game, at least to my knowledge. It kills in one hit and it covers a wide area in your color of paint. It's incredibly fast paced and I loved every second of it.

I agree with everything you said Morg, but I do want to point out that tilt controls are a terribad control method and should never be used in any gameplay ever. As Zane would put what I just said, I hate tilt controls. Besides that, I absolutely love this game, especially the OP Paint Roller! Even though I will be unable to get it launch day, I will certainly pick it up some time in June.

You DO know you can turn them off, right?

WOW that was fun. I think my highest score was 1330, and I made it to level 4 of Squid Jumper on the loading screen. Favorite weapon is Splattershot Jr for sure, Splattershot was decent and the Roller was fun and great for covering turf quickly, I personally hated the Charger but some people seemed to really get the grasp of it. My favorite ability was being able to go crazy with the bombs, although the Bubble came in handy quite often. Didn't really get to try out the other two unfortunately. Both of the maps, Saltspray Rig and Walleye Warehouse, were very cool; I can't really choose a favorite between them because they were both really fun in their own unique ways. The controls were honestly a bit confusing to get accustomed to, but by the end, I had a pretty good handle on them. The gyro controls are surprisingly helpful and I can definitely see myself using them in the full game as well.

I was skeptical about the 3 minute matches, and they did feel very quick, but it makes sense since it's such a fast-paced game. Even without voice chat I think my team cooperated fantastically, we realized what each other was doing and jumped in to help out. For example, in my last match the enemy team had covered the field and was terrorizing my team's base, but one of my teammates snuck out and everyone on my team super jumped to his location. We started taking back the middle ground and were able to corner the enemy team and wipe them out for a few crucial last seconds of inking. This all happened in a matter of about 30 seconds. We ultimately won the match by a few points. I'm already in love with this game and I'm going to bed now so I can be up bright and early for tomorrow morning's demo.

I am honestly happy about the online features, specifically with friends. I really like the idea of shuffling teams, to avoid the issue of most FPS's in one team repeatedly dominating another. Also, the variety of gameplay seems like it will help the game's longevity, as well as explain the lock on Ranked Mode for a bit after release. I appreciate the map shuffling, but I am happy that with friends, you can change the rules and maps at will. The only caviat being that you need 7 friends to do so, from the looks of it.

...another reason to get a Wii U. Never would I have thought I should get a job at this age... ;-)

I'm not really a big FPS guy but this is a game I can really recommend to anyone.

Probably because this isn't an FPS

I'm not really a big FPS guy but this is a game I can really recommend to anyone.

Probably because this isn't an FPS

Okay, third person shooter. Whatever. You get the jist.

Oh yeah, so despite feeling kinda sick I made an impromptu video

Contains my real time impressions, albeit incredibly limited in commentary, as well as gameplay with all 4 of the weapons, for any of you who didn't get to participate but would like some uncut gameplay

I played a few games during the demo time, but I wasn't wholly impressed. I didn't hate the game, but nothing really blew me away about it. Straight out of the tutorial I went into a game with the Splattershot and scored a good 800 points, the highest of my team. We lost, but I had fun. Second game I used the Paint Roller. I scored about 1600 points and only died once. I had fun, but less so than when I was using the Splattershot. By the end of the third game I'd just gotten a little too bored to keep playing and went to go do something else instead. 

Great game, but after playing the demo I don't think it's the kind of game that would keep my attention for very long, so I probably won't be picking up Splatoon on release anymore.

Also forcing players to use the motion-control camera in the tutorial was a dumb idea imo. I don't know anybody who didn't switch to using the right stick immediately after reaching the options menu.

I played a few games during the demo time, but I wasn't wholly impressed. I didn't hate the game, but nothing really blew me away about it. Straight out of the tutorial I went into a game with the Splattershot and scored a good 800 points, the highest of my team. We lost, but I had fun. Second game I used the Paint Roller. I scored about 1600 points and only died once. I had fun, but less so than when I was using the Splattershot. By the end of the third game I'd just gotten a little too bored to keep playing and went to go do something else instead. 

Great game, but after playing the demo I don't think it's the kind of game that would keep my attention for very long, so I probably won't be picking up Splatoon on release anymore.

Also forcing players to use the motion-control camera in the tutorial was a dumb idea imo. I don't know anybody who didn't switch to using the right stick immediately after reaching the options menu.

I can understand this, I had pretty much the same reaction when I played the alpha for Evolve, which in a few ways is kinda similar to Splatoon if you think about it (and are willing to grasp at a lot of straws).

Also I didn't even know about the option menu, I spent the whole Testfire struggling with the gyro sensors

For those not aware Nintendo is doing one more test fire on May 23 at 3:00 p.m.- 4:00 p.m. Pacific Time. This time no one can say the gyro controls were forced on them. Seriously. No excuses.

Splatoon plush squids will come out in July and cost 2800 yen or about 23 american dollars. (If I'm wrong blame google translate)

576178.jpg

There's also a Splatoon "manga" in June's Corocoro magazine. It's not a full manga just a one time thing to promote Splatoon's release.

splatoon-manga-656x875.jpg

Not sure if either of these will be available for purchase outside of Japan but I doubt the manga will be since Corocoro is never localized.

Am i the only one that doesn't mind splatoon's gyro controls? :^(