Isaac    1,218

It's all irrelevant since all of ranked mode is trash anyway

*Is not so secretly bitter about never winning a single ranked match*

I gave up Ranked after I got to B+ because I'm way too on edge when I play it. Winning isn't satisfying enough unfortunately, while losing just feels absolutely terrible
  • Upvote 1

Morg    1,515

WE'VE GOT BIG NEWS, BOYS, STRAIGHT FROM THE LAB RATS THEMSELVES:

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/624140149736079360

For those who hate links, and can't read Japanese:

"A sketch was sent to us by a research lab worker. Seems like an Octoling... hang on, haven't we seen this one already...? Huh? Actually, looks like there's something a little different about it... Ah, aaahh! Aaaahhh!!!" 

JbxALpa.jpg

What this could mean is that in a future update (the fabled August one, perhaps?) it will be possible to play as the Octolings, as before this point we only saw them with the goggles equipped. Also, this can be further proved to this video, where the models of the Inkling and Octoling girl were swapped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSMeXH24NIU 

Edited by Morg
  • Upvote 3

GoldenGhost    2,058

WE'VE GOT BIG NEWS, BOYS, STRAIGHT FROM THE LAB RATS THEMSELVES:

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/624140149736079360

For those who hate links, and can't read Japanese:

"A sketch was sent to us by a research lab worker. Seems like an Octoling... hang on, haven't we seen this one already...? Huh? Actually, looks like there's something a little different about it... Ah, aaahh! Aaaahhh!!!" 

JbxALpa.jpg

What this could mean is that in a future update (the fabled August one, perhaps?) it will be possible to play as the Octolings, as before this point we only saw them with the goggles equipped. Also, this can be further proved to this video, where the models of the Inkling and Octoling girl were swapped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSMeXH24NIU 

"One sketch was sent from the researcher. It's like tacosoness.

I do not seen prior to this guy?

Sent me a wrong. What's this?

Look good and something a bit different like... Oh, Oh!! Oh Oh ~ ~ ~ boobs!"

Thank you bing translation for clarifying

I was wondering if maybe this was an addition to the single-player mode, although being able to play as the Octolings would be very cool as well. I'm happy with either really, can't wait to hear what it is.

• Upvote 3

Morg    1,515

It makes me wonder, since we're getting Squid Girl DLC in August, as well as the sudden announcement of the (hopefully) playable Octolings, are all of the character swaps going to be for the Girl Inkling? It'd be pretty cool if they made a new design for a Boy Octoling and paired it with the girl Octoling models.

A C Cret    196

I think it would be cool if they added and Octoling DLC, which added a second story mode as a prequel to the current one, in which you play as an Octoling capturing the zap fish to save their way of life.

And really NOJ, boobs?

GoldenGhost    2,058

I think it would be cool if they added and Octoling DLC, which added a second story mode as a prequel to the current one, in which you play as an Octoling capturing the zap fish to save their way of life.

And really NOJ, boobs?

A separate storyline for the Octolings would be very neat, I imagine it being like a Nohr vs Hoshido kind of thing where the Octoling levels would be harder since you're invading to capture the Zapfishes.

(Also just an FYI, Nintendo didn't say anything about boobs in the Twitter post, Bing Translate is just being a stupid pervert)

• Upvote 3

daikonboy101    406

I don't care about a story mode, I didnt even like the story mode that much, I just wanna play as an octoling online. Their hair is so fabulous.

Also, if they do make them playable, all you boy people will for sure get a male one, they wouldn't make a mistake that big.

• Upvote 2

Isaac    1,218

CKpQvxJUAAAldCH.jpg

CKpQvxiVEAA0h2N.jpg

Another new map incoming tomorrow already. Camp Triggerfish is arriving at 7PM PT tomorrow.

Edited by Isaac
  • Upvote 2

Morg    1,515

CKpQvxJUAAAldCH.jpg

CKpQvxiVEAA0h2N.jpg

Another new map incoming tomorrow already. Camp Triggerfish is arriving at 7PM PT tomorrow.

FINALLY

This map, visually, is the most gorgeous out of all of them, and it looks really interesting to play on. I spotted some more fall-through bridges though, so ehhhhhhhhhhh

Also I ran out of likes to give today so that's great

Edited by Morg
  • Upvote 2

Isaac    1,218

Team matchmaking confirmed for a free August update! Also, more maps and gear are coming too! Oddly enough, I don't recall any instance of gear being included in updates like the weapons before this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkcRuTpW5k4

"I just wanna body kids in Splatoon"

-EG Justin Wong

• Upvote 1

Morg    1,515

More update information, one being the new map being released in less than 2 hours, Camp Triggerfish. Here's the description from the official Tumblr:

Pack your knapsack because we’re going to camp. Camp Triggerfish, that is!

When the Inklings aren’t busy making s’mores or boondoggle key chains, they enjoy the majestic scenery afforded by camping the best way they know how – Turf War! Battles here play out across a series of bridges, which you’ll have to cross to reach your opponents’ turf.

Each team base at Camp Triggerfish is outfitted with a set of floodgates. When the gates are down, it’s easier for the other team to come and go as they please. In Turf War, the gates lower with one minute left on the clock, leading the way for late-game assaults. In Ranked Battle, they stay down so players can come and go as they please. Watch out in Tower Control! The tower’s path is almost always over water and you’ll need to show off your best squid skills to avoid getting dunked.

tumblr_nryqprMnB41u3akyno1_400.jpgtumblr_nryqprMnB41u3akyno4_400.jpg

So a new mechanic (that I'm aware of) are the time-dependent bridges that will lower that can give the losing team a bigger chance at winning the game, and that sounds rather interesting. (Also Tower Control's path being above water 90% of the time, that's what I needed, as if it wasn't hard enough...)

Also, the English version of the Octoling sketch announcement has been released.

We’ve received a sketch from one of our researchers. Looks like an Octoling… Hey! We’ve seen this before. Looks like a false alarm. Wait a minute. Something’s different here… Whoa! WHOOOOA!

Finally, a GIF someone posted on the Splatoon reddit. Team matchmaking can't come soon enough.

101JfGa.gif
Edited by Morg
  • Upvote 2

Morg    1,515

More Splatoon info, both thanks to NWPlayer and a mysterious Japanese leaker. On the latter, we got a teaser for some kind of new weapon. No accurate translations yet, I believe.

CK1K4_zVAAA1BBk.pngCK1K5FaUsAA0VGJ.png

Second is more information on the Gattling Gun and the Paint Bucket, which according to some (very loose) translations, will have alternate versions, including a bucket variant that spreads in 3 directions, and a Gattling Gun that only shoots one good shot at a time, but consumes less ink.

スーパーバケッツ(Super Bucket)
Sub:Splash Wall
Special:
スーパーバケッツは 体をかんつうする
大きなインクボールをぶちまける
バケッツと呼ばれる 新型のブキでし!
連射はできないので スプラッシュシールドを
張りながら、そこら中を塗りまくって
スペシャルのトルネードを うちまくるでし!
攻撃力もチョー高いので、使いこなせば
チョー強い…ハズ! ホームランバッターな
使い手に ぜひかわいがって欲しいでし
Super Bucket is a kind of new weapon called Bucket which fires penetrating big ink ball!
You can't fire rapidly so keep using Splash Wall and painting around and firing Inkstrike!
Also, it has high offensive power.

マローダー(仮)(Marauder (improvised))
Sub:Splat Bomb 
Special:Kraken 
マローダー(仮)はその名の通り、ナワバリの
略奪を目的とした、ガトリングでし!
圧倒的破壊力は 一見の価値あり!…でしが、チャージ時間がとんでもなく
長いし、インク消費量もケタ外れでしから
スプラッシュシールドで守りつつためるでし
スペシャルにはダイオウイカもあるでしから
自分の身を守るのが上手な
使い手にかわいがって欲しいでし!
Marauder, as its name shows, is a Gatling intended to maraud Turf War.
Its destructive power is a must-see, but it takes so much time in charging
and amount of consuming ink is incredible.

• Upvote 1

Morg    1,515

Gentlemen, it's finally approaching. The big August update.

NEXT. WEEK. AUGUST 5TH.

This includes the two new weapon types, the bucket (Slosher), and the gatling gun (Splatling),new matchmaking modes (now named Private Battle, where you and a set of friends battle each other, from being 1v4 to 1v1, 2v2, etc. , and Squad Battle, where you and a friend, maybe 4 of you, fight other squads in Ranked Battle,) a new maximum level cap (it's 50 now, good freakin' luck) and a new Ranked level cap (was A+, will soon go to S+) and over 40 new gears. On top of this, Nintendo says this isn't the end of the big Splatoon Summer updates. There's gonna be more stages and weapons coming.

We're all gonna die.

• Upvote 1

Morg    1,515

Oops, turns out there was MORE stuff to post. More background music has been alluded to by the game's creator:

“By the way, a punk rock band Squid Squad is currently popular in the world of squids, but perhaps the trend will shift a bit in the future, and a different band may appear. Please look forward to it.”

Also rather interesting is Urchin Underpass, one of the current stages in rotation, is going to be unavailable for 3 days. Normally a stage being left out of rotation isn't anything huge, but for Nintendo to say a stage will be gone for 3 days is rather... ominous.

"For 3 days from 8/3 to 8/5, Urchin Underpass will be closed for maintenance, unavailable in regular and ranked matches."

CK6VgvuUAAAyzqg.jpg

And finally, some screenshots of the new menu modes (it's all we have for now) but this confirms in Private Battles, you CAN choose the map and mode of play, from Turf War to Tower Control.

VxSFc2c.jpg

hndonx5.jpgmqip0Uz.jpgmD21k3D.jpgYlNeKVq.jpg

Edited by Morg
  • Upvote 4

Mangle    399

Gentlemen, it's finally approaching. The big August update.

NEXT. WEEK. AUGUST 5TH.

This includes the two new weapon types, the bucket (Slosher), and the gatling gun (Splatling),new matchmaking modes (now named Private Battle, where you and a set of friends battle each other, from being 1v4 to 1v1, 2v2, etc. , and Squad Battle, where you and a friend, maybe 4 of you, fight other squads in Ranked Battle,) a new maximum level cap (it's 50 now, good freakin' luck) and a new Ranked level cap (was A+, will soon go to S+) and over 40 new gears. On top of this, Nintendo says this isn't the end of the big Splatoon Summer updates. There's gonna be more stages and weapons coming.

We're all gonna die.

I would celebrate, but I'm going on vacation next week. :cry:

Scaler193    898

I'll admit, I thought Splatoon was very over rated and refused to give it a shot. I bought the game yesterday deciding to never fully judge a game until I play it myself, and oh how wrong I was.

Splatoons a ton of fun. The graphics are cartoony but still look amazing (although I noticed the blue Ink seems to be a lot more glossy than the other colours). The gameplays a ton of fun, in just these past 2 days I've gotten to lvl 15 and rank b- in ranked. I can't stop playing! The map rotations every 4 hours help a lot as well to keep the game fresh.

As they add more DLC, I would love to play as one of the Octolings the rumors were suggesting about. Also an expansion to the single player campaign would be great. I would love to see more fully made levels, rather than seperated sections. I honestly don't expect to see my wishes come true, but a boy can dream!

• Upvote 2

Morg    1,515

Remember the hacker I mentioned before, and how custom colors and model swaps are working?

Well now he got custom weapons working online in Turf War.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqqufo4dtHU&feature=youtu.be

War... has changed

EDIT: Footage of Slosher gameplay has been released!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWQfyi9E1vo&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Morg