• Announcements

• megan

RTX 2017 - Booth 401   06/02/2017

We’re headed back to Austin, Texas for our 5th time exhibiting at Rooster Teeth Expo (RTX)! You’ll be able to find us at RTX 2017 Booth 401 (next to our friends, Supergiant Games) from July 7 to July 9 and we’re going to have lots of new stuff this year.   See our Blog Post for all the details, including the new merch we're bringing with us! 

55 posts in this topic

Anyways it took a lot longer than I thought it would, but I finished another piece of computer-drawn art. I've been trying to practice drawing people lately since my friend and I are planning on drawing a manga in our spare time. This drawing isn't based on any character in particular but here ya go:

Bdg5g69.png

Let me know what you think. I need some feedback! I'll take any thoughts or suggestions, whether it's "I like the way you draw teeth" or "it would've been better if you had drawn it upside-down" or "why didn't you give her a purple dress you freaking idiot". She's kinda supposed to be jumping (I was trying my hand at an action picture), so let me know if you can tell or not.

This is a great pic. You can totally tell there's movement going on based on the detailing you put into the lineart. I really like the way you drew and coloured the character's hair, too. It looks fluid and the colouring/highlighting/shading on it makes it really stand out. Good job.  :-)

why didn't you give her a purple dress you freaking idiot

you should've put glasses on her, along with the purple dress, then that would've looked like me.

This is a great pic. You can totally tell there's movement going on based on the detailing you put into the lineart. I really like the way you drew and coloured the character's hair, too. It looks fluid and the colouring/highlighting/shading on it makes it really stand out. Good job.  :-)

Thanks man, I really appreciate it! I feel like I overdid it with the highlighting on the hair, but I'm glad you thought it was good.

why didn't you give her a purple dress you freaking idiot

you should've put glasses on her, along with the purple dress, then that would've looked like me.

I wasn't gonna entertain Zane's crap but then I realized your idea wouldn't be all that difficult and it might be cool, so I went ahead and made a version based on what you said would look like you. It was just a matter of recoloring the clothing and quickly adding some glasses, so here you go!

grdYzIM.png

inb4 "dude why wouldn't you make her clothes blue, you pile of garbage"

"dude why wouldn't you make her clothes blue, you pile of garbage"

Congratulations, you have now volunteered to star in a special "Ryuko Morg vs Satsuki ICMP3" piece

Coming soon to an art thread near you (probably not)

Edited by GoldenGhost

Congratulations, you have now volunteered to star in a special "Ryuko Morg vs Satsuki ICMP3" piece

sk3CYSB.gif

If anything you should draw the Takarada Salute.

Grant no stop

Hey, I haven't drawn pixel art in a while so I decided to draw Kamui (er... the character believed to be known as Kamui) from the new Fire Emblem game. I'll be honest, I was too lazy to really buckle down and perfect this, so it might not be my best work. For example, the mouth pixels look a little funky since I was trying to make him look serious, and there are a few other things I could probably improve on, but I was really set on finishing this tonight and I feel like playing Fire Emblem Awakening right now so screw it, here's Kamui:

1pm37by.png

Image I used for reference:

image9.png

If I go back and fix stuff I don't like then I'll replace the image in this post with an updated version, but chances are I'll move onto something else instead. Gimme some feedback and stuff, and I'd be happy to draw any other Fire Emblem characters (or anything really) that you guys want me to draw.

Edited by GoldenGhost

bampity boomp

I decided it would be cool to post some stuff here that I did in my art and design classes in college  :-P

Here are just a few charcoal drawings from an Introduction to Drawing class I took:

nmqyPMh.jpg

cR7U8VP.jpg

HxySmVd.jpg

These two drawings used both black and white charcoal:

dpAG1fY.jpg

goQkiyl.jpg

Here's something cool I made in my Design for Media class:

1dHn1O6.jpg

There's one other thing I made in this class that I wanna share with you guys, but it's not quite ready to be shown off yet!

As a bonus, here's a pixel art self-portrait I made recently (not in college):

qLEBTco.jpg

I thought about using this as my forum profile pic, but I think i might try to improve it some instead. What do you guys think?

I've got some exciting stuff on the way that I can't wait to share with you guys, so look forward to that!

Hey guys! This thread's about to get upgraded because it's not just an art thread anymore! This thread shall also serve to share games I've made!

Space Stars, a.k.a. How to Waste Time (2013) (Click here to download!)
This game was made in a single evening after I got really pissed off at Cookie Clicker and decided the best way to show those pesky kids was to make my own boring version of it. This game (and really, every game I've made except one) was made in GameMaker Studio. I did all of the programming in GML, designed the UI, and I even made all of the art for it... except for a picture of some ugly kid that somehow found its way into my game.

Feel free to download it by clicking the link above, or if you'd like to watch some gameplay of it so that you don't have to suffer through it yourself, here's our very own DroppedYourPocket playing it!

Unnamed Number-Guessing Game (2013)
This game is the only one I've made so far that wasn't created in GameMaker Studio. This game was created using Java for a community college class I took in high school. The game is very simple: a random number between 1 and 10 is selected, and the player (that's you!) must guess the number in three tries. Luckily the game helps you out by giving you three hints, but watch out! One of the hints is lying to you! Use simple math logic to figure out which hint is false and then guess the number based on the information you have! Even though it's a really small command prompt game, I would love to be able to share it, but unfortunately it's much more complicated than GameMaker projects since you have to install certain things to run Java programs on your computer. If I figure out a way to distribute it, I'll be sure to do so.

Pon's Adventure (2014 - ???)
Embark on an epic adventure as Pon, the servant of a dark king who's been tasked with collecting Four Sacred Fruits that grant extraordinary powers. Your duty is to return to the dark king's castle and allow him to conquer the world using the power from the Sacred Fruits, but fate chooses another path! You will betray the evil king, eat the fruits yourself, and use their special powers to overthrow the king and return peace to the kingdom! It is a tale of justice, glory, and Mega Man-inspired gameplay! On your journey you will explore 6 different levels, face several bosses including the Four Guardians of the Sacred Fruits, cross paths with rival character on his own quest for glory, utilize fantastic powers such as throwing fire and generating an explosive plasma shield, and ultimately restore the balance of the world by defeating your corrupt ruler!

This game started as a project for my Electronic Music class in high school. The task was to create music for a video game concept and then create a powerpoint slide pitching your idea to the class. I decided to build a prototype for my game, drawing art and designing the UI and programming enemy AI and creating a level on top of composing the music (and adding sound effects). After completing the project, I decided I wanted to make it into a much larger game. Since my close friend was really interested in the game and my music composition skills were far inferior to his, I enlisted my friend to compose the soundtrack for the game while I did everything else. Currently the project is in limbo because my partner and I both entered college before the game was finished. It is still my largest game, but a cool game isn't worth anything if it isn't finished. Perhaps it'll be picked up again someday. Here are some screenshots you can check out though! (Please note: these screenshots do not accurately reflect the final product)

9ZW1Rrb.png

tAkPHgV.png

9YJiPPy.png

Grey Matter (2015?)
This game also started as a school project, although this was the final project for my Design for Media 1 class in college. The task was to create a monochrome (black and white) animation that displayed examples of design elements and principles. Once again, I decided to make a game. Grey Matter is a 2D platformer where you play as a nameless protagonist who must find his way through a confusing black and white maze. The design elements are illustrated through the gameplay mechanics: each level introduces a new mechanic based around a certain design element. For example, the first level focuses on patterns, and the player must be able to identify patterns to locate invisible platforms and progress. So there might be a row of 3 evenly spaced platforms followed by a large gap; the player has to be able to realize where the pattern of platforms would continue and jump across the gaps using these invisible platforms. Other design elements include symmetry, contrast, rhythm, and value/opacity.

This game met the same fate as Pon's Adventure, unfortunately; after submitting a demo build, I tried to continue the project and make it something greater, but ultimately I don't think I have the motivation to finish it. I really want to be able to, but my recent work on it has felt uninspired and I don't want to make something that I don't feel happy about. I don't want this to die completely though, so feel free to check out this gameplay trailer of the demo version I sent to my professor. It doesn't include everything I was able to make, but it demonstrates a lot of the different ideas I put into the game. Let me know if you like it and maybe I'll be inspired to finish it someday!

Note: I do not take credit for the music used in the trailer! The music is "Intro" by Slime Girls, for the artist's Vacation Wasteland album. You can download it for $5 here (it's some really good music)

Space Stars Ultra (2015?)

5Ube8Sh.png
This logo was made by Morg! Thanks Morg!

At last, the long-awaited sequel to the classic best-seller Space Stars! Yeah! Space Stars Ultra takes the exciting clicking action of Space Stars and adds an entire quest to it! Whoa! Now you can explore the cosmos and take down massive baddies while you rack up that Star Power! Radical! And now there are special stars that give you amazing powers to gather even more Stars! Gnarly! And guess what?! It'll be free! Acceptable!
Can you collect all of the Space Stars? Can you defeat all of the evil enemies in the galaxy? Are you a bad enough dude to rescue Ronnie click the mouse button over and over without getting carpal tunnel syndrome?

Note: This game isn't finished yet, but I'm working on it in my spare time (time that isn't being spent on /v/ or getting tossed around like a chew toy in Dark Souls). I can't say for sure when it'll be finished, but I'll post updates here when I make significant progress on it! Here's a teaser screenshot! Somewhat tolerable! (Again, please note that this screenshot does not accurately reflect the final product)

jz5oVNJ.jpg

So those are the major games I've worked on so far. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them in this thread or in a PM! Any feedback you wanna offer about what you see here is very much appreciated and it greatly motivates me to continue making games! (Yeah, even negative feedback! Go ahead and berate the crap out of me!)

And if right now you're thinking "GoldenGhost I don't give a damn about these computer games, I wanna see some art," then screw you and here's another community anime pic:

V29VeLJ.jpg

Hey guys! This thread's about to get upgraded because it's not just an art thread anymore! This thread shall also serve to share games I've made!

This game was made in a single evening after I got really pissed off at Cookie Clicker and decided the best way to show those pesky kids was to make my own boring version of it. This game (and really, every game I've made except one) was made in GameMaker Studio. I did all of the programming in GML, designed the UI, and I even made all of the art for it... except for a picture of some ugly kid that somehow found its way into my game.

Feel free to download it by clicking the link above, or if you'd like to watch some gameplay of it so that you don't have to suffer through it yourself, here's our very own DroppedYourPocket playing it!

This game is the only one I've made so far that wasn't created in GameMaker Studio. This game was created using Java for a community college class I took in high school. The game is very simple: a random number between 1 and 10 is selected, and the player (that's you!) must guess the number in three tries. Luckily the game helps you out by giving you three hints, but watch out! One of the hints is lying to you! Use simple math logic to figure out which hint is false and then guess the number based on the information you have! Even though it's a really small command prompt game, I would love to be able to share it, but unfortunately it's much more complicated than GameMaker projects since you have to install certain things to run Java programs on your computer. If I figure out a way to distribute it, I'll be sure to do so.

Embark on an epic adventure as Pon, the servant of a dark king who's been tasked with collecting Four Sacred Fruits that grant extraordinary powers. Your duty is to return to the dark king's castle and allow him to conquer the world using the power from the Sacred Fruits, but fate chooses another path! You will betray the evil king, eat the fruits yourself, and use their special powers to overthrow the king and return peace to the kingdom! It is a tale of justice, glory, and Mega Man-inspired gameplay! On your journey you will explore 6 different levels, face several bosses including the Four Guardians of the Sacred Fruits, cross paths with rival character on his own quest for glory, utilize fantastic powers such as throwing fire and generating an explosive plasma shield, and ultimately restore the balance of the world by defeating your corrupt ruler!

This game started as a project for my Electronic Music class in high school. The task was to create music for a video game concept and then create a powerpoint slide pitching your idea to the class. I decided to build a prototype for my game, drawing art and designing the UI and programming enemy AI and creating a level on top of composing the music (and adding sound effects). After completing the project, I decided I wanted to make it into a much larger game. Since my close friend was really interested in the game and my music composition skills were far inferior to his, I enlisted my friend to compose the soundtrack for the game while I did everything else. Currently the project is in limbo because my partner and I both entered college before the game was finished. It is still my largest game, but a cool game isn't worth anything if it isn't finished. Perhaps it'll be picked up again someday. Here are some screenshots you can check out though! (Please note: these screenshots do not accurately reflect the final product)

9ZW1Rrb.png

tAkPHgV.png

9YJiPPy.png

Grey Matter (2015?)

This game also started as a school project, although this was the final project for my Design for Media 1 class in college. The task was to create a monochrome (black and white) animation that displayed examples of design elements and principles. Once again, I decided to make a game. Grey Matter is a 2D platformer where you play as a nameless protagonist who must find his way through a confusing black and white maze. The design elements are illustrated through the gameplay mechanics: each level introduces a new mechanic based around a certain design element. For example, the first level focuses on patterns, and the player must be able to identify patterns to locate invisible platforms and progress. So there might be a row of 3 evenly spaced platforms followed by a large gap; the player has to be able to realize where the pattern of platforms would continue and jump across the gaps using these invisible platforms. Other design elements include symmetry, contrast, rhythm, and value/opacity.

This game met the same fate as Pon's Adventure, unfortunately; after submitting a demo build, I tried to continue the project and make it something greater, but ultimately I don't think I have the motivation to finish it. I really want to be able to, but my recent work on it has felt uninspired and I don't want to make something that I don't feel happy about. I don't want this to die completely though, so feel free to check out this gameplay trailer of the demo version I sent to my professor. It doesn't include everything I was able to make, but it demonstrates a lot of the different ideas I put into the game. Let me know if you like it and maybe I'll be inspired to finish it someday!

Note: I do not take credit for the music used in the trailer! The music is "Intro" by Slime Girls, for the artist's Vacation Wasteland album. You can download it for $5 here (it's some really good music)

5Ube8Sh.png

At last, the long-awaited sequel to the classic best-seller Space Stars! Yeah! Space Stars Ultra takes the exciting clicking action of Space Stars and adds an entire quest to it! Whoa! Now you can explore the cosmos and take down massive baddies while you rack up that Star Power! Radical! And now there are special stars that give you amazing powers to gather even more Stars! Gnarly! And guess what?! It'll be free! Acceptable!

Can you collect all of the Space Stars? Can you defeat all of the evil enemies in the galaxy? Are you a bad enough dude to rescue Ronnie click the mouse button over and over without getting carpal tunnel syndrome?

Note: This game isn't finished yet, but I'm working on it in my spare time (time that isn't being spent on /v/ or getting tossed around like a chew toy in Dark Souls). I can't say for sure when it'll be finished, but I'll post updates here when I make significant progress on it! Here's a teaser screenshot! Somewhat tolerable! (Again, please note that this screenshot does not accurately reflect the final product)

jz5oVNJ.jpg

So those are the major games I've worked on so far. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them in this thread or in a PM! Any feedback you wanna offer about what you see here is very much appreciated and it greatly motivates me to continue making games! (Yeah, even negative feedback! Go ahead and berate the crap out of me!)

And if right now you're thinking "GoldenGhost I don't give a damn about these computer games, I wanna see some art," then screw you and here's another community anime pic:

V29VeLJ.jpg

So now I'm the main character? Jeesh talk about a fanboy!

Space Stars isn't booting up for me. It just asks to open up a file and nothing happens.

Space Stars isn't booting up for me. It just asks to open up a file and nothing happens.

ruh roh

That would be because I am an idiot and I uploaded the shortcut to the game as opposed to the actual game itself. Sorry about that. The link should have the correct download now. Thanks for letting me know!

9ZW1Rrb.png

tAkPHgV.png

9YJiPPy.png

Grey Matter (2015?)

5Ube8Sh.png

jz5oVNJ.jpg

V29VeLJ.jpg

Your work is pretty spectacular! Do moree!! (if thats okay with you :3) I would totally buy Grey Matter. 

Okay, so I just want to make this abundantly clear, Ghost you are freaking awesome. I really love the aesthetic of Grey Matter and I think the sight blocks are such a ridiculously cool idea. I'm a platformer nut, so I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

...And y'know, if you ever feel uninspired on a project, you could always send a certain someone whatever you used to make levels...

:-P

I've been telling him that Grey Matter was the coolest shiz since he put that trailer on his YouTube, but the lil' guy just wouldn't listen.

But seriously though, I do really admire Grant's work, and Grey Matter in particular jumps out to me as something that has a lot of potential if it's ever finished, I could definitely see this as a Wii U/3DS eShop title or Steam greenlight or something along those lines.

Also can't wait for Space Stars Ultra, I hear that Hideo Kojima left Konami so he could help out with the development of the project

Recently I've been getting a few questions about Space Stars Ultra, and I'd just like to address them real quick as well as talk about Grey Matter.

The reason you guys haven't been getting updates on SSU is for the following reasons:

1. I can't use my computer this week

2. Before this week, I didn't feel like doing it

3. I probably still won't feel like doing it after this week

I appreciate you guys caring so much about Space Stars Ultra but honestly I feel like going back to work on that would be a step backwards. What do I mean by that? Well SSU began before I had made Grey Matter, and since then I feel like I've needed to keep moving forward. I hope that at some point I get the inspiration to move forward on Space Stars Ultra as something I can challenge myself with making, but as it currently stands, SSU is really just a prototype I was playing around with and it's kinda boring. As a student, I wanna explore and try different things, and right now I'm throwing around ideas for something I'm really excited about and something maybe you guys will enjoy too. (No details on that yet, mainly because I may very well get bored of that too and move onto something different.)

Onto Grey Matter. I'm really not sure what to do with that project, again it started as a week-long assignment for my design class and I'm beginning to think it should've stayed that way. Everything I add to it now seems to make it worse, all of the levels I'm making feel boring and repetitive, all of the new mechanics I'm adding feel bland and uninspired compared to the others, and the dramatic heart-wrenching story I tried to write for it ain't actually dramatic or heart-wrenching, so I'm thinking I should just share what I was able to make with you guys so you can at least play the dang thing. If I decide to do that, I'll have a link to download it here sometime this month, I swear.

Anyways now that all of that is out of the way, since this is an art thread as well as a game thread, here's a little sketch I whipped up today:

xauW5tD.jpg

You might be able to tell, but I drew some inspiration from Mother 3 on this one. I outlined the main body in red just to distinguish it from everything else; everything behind it is attached to his back! It's like he's carrying an entire city on his shoulders and back. It's far from finished, but hopefully it shows that I'm not just sitting here playing Fire Emblem all day or anything... lol. (Really though I've been drawing a lot lately, I swear.) As always I appreciate any feedback you guys can give, as long as it's not "I like everything about it except the drawing, loser"

Also there definitely aren't any subtle hints as to what I'm working on in that picture or anything

v7yrnn.jpg 

A little tribute. Also that Mother-inspired city mech is awesome!

Edited by 8Bitten

v7yrnn.jpg 

A little tribute. Also that Mother-inspired city mech is awesome!

Whoa!!! My first Grey Matter fan art?!?!

I was totally blown away when I saw this, and it made me realize that I haven't ever actually drawn my nameless monochromatic protagonist beyond some concept art, so here's a little something for you in return:

ks8Lp4F.png

Thank you so much! And I appreciate your comment on the drawing I did as well  :-)

Howdy guys, and happy Thanksgiving! Here's something cool for cool people: prototypes for Pon's Adventure and Grey Matter that you can download and play! (Note: only download and play if you're cool)

Grey Matter (made in 2015, somewhat complete) - Dropbox download
Pon's Adventure (made in 2014, very incomplete) - Dropbox download

Obviously don't distribute these prototypes or claim them as your own, yadda yadda yadda

These are prototypes for games that I worked on before my computer broke, but you can play around with them if you want. Included with each prototype are a few music tracks that would've been in the finished games. Don't distribute or steal them either
The music is composed by my good friend Julian, except for a few tunes in the original soundtrack for Pon's Adventure that I made myself. Enjoy those and let me know what you think!

Here's a little bit about em for those who are curious:

Grey Matter is a puzzle platformer inspired by Tower of Heaven. You play as a robot escaping from a confusing dimensional labyrinth with the guidance of a mysterious voice. The full game would've had 6 levels with a boss fight at the end, but in this prototype, you can play through 4 completed levels and an unfinished fifth level.
(There's a known bug where the main character reverts to his old sprite whenever you jump; I can't do anything about it so just try to ignore that if you can. Also sorry the story kind of cuts off at the end without concluding, but that's what happens with prototypes. Now you'll never know how it ends :cry: )

Pon's Adventure is a platformer/shooter/thing inspired by Mega Man and some other stuff like Shovel Knight and Sonic the Hedgehog. You play as Pon, a bright-eyed servant of the evil dark ruler tasked with the chore of retrieving the four Sacred Fruits from across the land. The full game would've had 4 unlockable abilities for Pon to use, as well as 6 full levels with 2 stages and a boss fight per level. In this prototype, you can use all 5 abilities and play around in 6 different areas. There's also a boss fight if you think you're tough enough!
(Note: this hasn't been touched in ages and is super duper uber incomplete. Some levels have secret rooms that work; others don't. Some areas are more elaborate than others. The UI for the controls screen and stage select screen are super ugly. It is impossible to die, even if you lose all of your health. There may or may not be a dumb Easter egg hidden in there somewhere. Overall though this is not at all representative of what the final product would've looked like, but it's something silly you can play around with if you want. It's still fun! I promise!)

Unfortunately for those brave souls who want to test their might against the daunting challenges within Space Stars instead of playing this garbage, you'll have to wait until I can fix the dropbox link in the original post because it's kind of broken for some reason... But if you have any feedback for these prototype then please do share! They might be unfinished but I'd still love to hear what you think! Thank you!  :-D

I WILL POST AULL UR A3RT OEN MY WEALL GOLDEN GHOST SENPAI, Dude this is the best art ive seen! i love it! Mostly the pixel art, I am honestly Jaw dropped by your Amazeing master pieces! I WILL SUPPORT U T2ILL U DI3

I WILL POST AULL UR A3RT OEN MY WEALL GOLDEN GHOST SENPAI, Dude this is the best art ive seen! i love it! Mostly the pixel art, I am honestly Jaw dropped by your Amazeing master pieces! I WILL SUPPORT U T2ILL U DI3

Thank you so much for saying so dude! That means a lot to me right now  :-)

And yknow I've kinda been neglecting to post more pixel art since I made this thread, so I feel like now is a good opportunity to share some of the good stuff

Some weapon icons for a top-down roguelike shooter:

pWDhMMT.jpg

A tileset for a scifi environment:

0y2n8sq.jpg

A spooky space portal (gif):

J7Nhbor.gif

A robot enemy for an RPG (overworld sprite + combat sprite):

Mx1zjQt.png

And last but not least is something I've been working on lately, a much larger piece than the rest

It's still a WIP, I have to finish the shading, but it's mostly finished I guess. In the middle of drawing, I started playing around with gradients and messing with the hue and saturation, so it looks sorta psychedelic but I kinda like it

Anyways here's Kosaki Onodera from Nisekoi (WIP):

gepFzti.png

Larger version:

ocGIfbV.png

Lemme know what you guys think! And I hope I don't sound like I'm begging for compliments or anything, I'm sharing this because it seemed like lots of people liked the first batch I posted and I know I haven't been too good about sharing more of it. I'm open to all feedback though, good or bad. The harsher the better! (Unless you're gonna call me a weeaboo or something)

I'll extend my usual offer to fulfill requests as well, if anyone has 'em!