A C Cret

Advice For Creating A 3D Game?

So, I've had an idea for a 3D fantasy/adventure RPG, but I have never made a game, much less in 3D. I do have basic programming knowledge with C+, but would not mind learning something like Java if that would make my life easier. I also may do DigiPen this summer (a art and programming summer camp thing), but do not know for certain.

I dunno, just a call for help from anyone knowledgeable out there. Anything is appreciated! :-)

EDIT: Size might be important to mention... I was thinking somewhere between Shadow of the Collossus and Solsteim from the Skyrim Dragonborn DLC. Yeah, that's a pretty big idea, but I'm not experienced. For all I know, that could be either massively difficult or saddenly easy! ;-)

Edited by A C Cret
  • Upvote 1

Hey,

Ive started using Unity for my programming. It can do 2D and 3D, and it can be scripted in Javascript, C#, or Boo, so if you know any of those you can use it. It works very similarly to the Trials Evolution Editor. You have a 3D "world" and you move around with a camera. You put things in the world, and use co-ords to move them around.

You can get it here:

http://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive

The one I use is Version 4.6.1. You can choose whichever, but I would only be able to help you with that one. There are tutorials built in though.

If you want, I can send you something I made in Unity so you can see what sort of things it could create.

Hope this helped,

James

PS Size shouldnt be an issue here.

Edited by Jamma003
  • Upvote 1

Unity is what you're looking for.

If you don't have experience making games, an adventure RPG (especially one with a big open-world map) is going to be a huge, huge scope. I don't really recommend it, it's probably much more work than you think it is.

• Upvote 2

Unity is what you're looking for.

If you don't have experience making games, an adventure RPG (especially one with a big open-world map) is going to be a huge, huge scope. I don't really recommend it, it's probably much more work than you think it is.

Hey,

Ive started using Unity for my programming. It can do 2D and 3D, and it can be scripted in Javascript, C#, or Boo, so if you know any of those you can use it. It works very similarly to the Trials Evolution Editor. You have a 3D "world" and you move around with a camera. You put things in the world, and use co-ords to move them around.

You can get it here:

http://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive

The one I use is Version 4.6.1. You can choose whichever, but I would only be able to help you with that one. There are tutorials built in though.

If you want, I can send you something I made in Unity so you can see what sort of things it could create.

Hope this helped,

James

PS Size shouldnt be an issue here.

I was going to recommend unity as well.

I started using Unity a while back, but I'm the type of guy who hates tutorials/guides and just likes figuring out for myself, and then check for small tips later.

That didn't work very well, and I saw there was an hour long unity tutorial, and I watched about 10 minutes of it, but the guy didn't make any sense.

But back on topic, if you hate tutorials and want to figure it out yourself, don't use unity.

• Upvote 1

I get that you have an idea for a really cool game, and that's awesome, but I agree with Sushi: you're probably going to be overwhelmed by how much work it really is. I recommend starting small. Very small. Just start with learning how to use Unity (which I'm also currently learning) and focus on making a simple game. It doesn't matter what kind of game you make, but definitely try to keep it simple. Make a few of these very small and very simple games until you really get the hang of Unity. After you're familiar with the process behind making games, then you can try for something bigger. Just be patient, and more importantly, be persistent. Too many times have I been working on a game I really like and given up because I got stuck somewhere. Just look for a solution or change what you're going for and keep working. It's really important that you actually complete your games. You can show a finished product to friends and get feedback, but unfinished projects aren't really worth anything. Anyways, good luck, and I can't wait to see what kinds of stuff you make!

• Upvote 1

The general consensus here is that the Adventure-RPG is too hard to start with.

I would just like to point out something, although its not ideal to start with something as massive as that, it wouldnt be too difficult. Think about it. Almost every quest in Skyrim follows the pattern of:

• Talk to someone to activate the quest.
  • Go somewhere/ do something
  • Report back/ give them their desired item/ kill them for their insolence

After building the "net", surely you could copy-paste segments and cut out 80% of the work?

DISCLAIMER: I may be wrong by the way. Ive never attempted an RPG.

• Upvote 1

Extra Credits did a very informative series of videos on getting into game design. The series was sponsored by Unity, and I feel it could be useful to you if you want to start getting into game design.  :-)

• Upvote 1

I am amazed by all the help and support, especially in such a short time. I first want to express my thanks for all this advice.

Second, don't worry, I wasn't thinking of jumping into this head-on. I would start small, and have thought of this a a long-term, spare time sort of project that will take years. I appreciate the warnings, and totally agree. :-)

Also, I may have made a mistake by comparing this to Skyrim. I'm thinking more exploration-adventure RPG over quest(s)-adventure RPG. I appreciate the suggestions though!

I will most likely end up using Unity. Thank you all again so much for the support and advice!

tl:dr - Thanks, thanks, thanks, mmmhmmm, will do, something about Unity, yah...

• Upvote 1