CannyImposter

I Am Making A Game

CannyImposter    164

Hello again, after much deliberation I have decided to do something more with my art, so I'm going to design a game. The purpose of this thread is to get your opinion during development to make it better. I'm looking to publish this on newgrounds, and it won't be perfect as it is my first game. I'll start with a level design sketch I did to start.

The idea me and my pals have come up with is Jacob, a small boy, who stumbles upon a smoothie machine on a very hot day. The other kids are jealous however, and want a share in the delicious drink. It is your job to defend the mountain using a variety of weapons and upgrades. This sketch is of the mountain level.post-26137-0-93657400-1430166584_thumb.png

• Upvote 15

CannyImposter    164

That looks amazing dude! i can already tell this this game will be (at least) great looking!

Thank you! Done some work on the house in the bottom left, tell me what you think :)

post-26137-0-37714400-1430171224_thumb.png

• Upvote 2

SaltOnToast    366

That looks amazing dude! i can already tell this this game will be (at least) great looking!

Thank you! Done some work on the house in the bottom left, tell me what you think :)

It looks great! I love the detail on the wood, your art style is really nice and refreshing, it reminds me a bit of Dan's Style but its unique enough to be your own, Seeing your work really makes me want to improve myself personally in design. Keep up the great work!

• Upvote 2

Mr. Hatty    1,808

Big fan of your art style so far, like Salt said it reminds me a bit of Castle Crashers but a lil' brighter.

Looking forward to seeing more updates on this as they come

Skirczak    42

Dang, this looks and sounds amazing.

Smoothies are amazing.

The idea of the game looks rather fun, I'm looking forwards to seeing the progress throughout it, and the finished work.

Scaler193    898

Add a flamingpapercup with a lock for a face in it and I can promiss you a fairly large group of animators will upvote your game like no tommorow. #bribery.

It's also looking very nice so far. Interested to see it in actual action.

CannyImposter    164

Edit: Just realised this reply is for the wrong quote, whoops

Add a flamingpapercup with a lock for a face in it and I can promiss you a fairly large group of animators will upvote your game like no tommorow. #bribery.

It's also looking very nice so far. Interested to see it in actual action.

Consider it done

Edited by CannyImposter

GoldenGhost    2,058

This really does look impressive! I like seeing your progress and I'm interested to see how it all turns out. Keep up the good work!

CannyImposter    164

Can't thank you all enough for the positive comments, thank you!

I will be adding objects into the game to commemorate you guys during development to brighten up the place

Edited by CannyImposter
  • Upvote 3

U-Knighted    179

You're art makes me look like a fool. No wait, everyone's art makes me look like a fool. I stink at drawing. Thus, I look up to those with this kind of talent.

Keep up the good work! :D

I want to be bitter because I always wanted to be able to draw like Dan Paladin, but I can't be bitter when your art looks so dang good dawg.  Like seriously, you have tons of support from our tiny community.  I really hope this actually becomes a thing because your art alone is awesome.  

I was curious, though, do you have any experience with making actual games?  Because if not, I'm sure you could find someone to help you out on Newgrounds somewhere.  You show them the art you've made already and I'm sure someone would jump on board.  Not many people do both programming and art, and I'd hate to see the project fall short due to inability.  Just my thoughts.  

But really, keep up the work, man.  You keep at it, and it means I can finally successfully kidnap Dan and you can replace him, then people will never realize he's locked in my basement.

• Upvote 3

CannyImposter    164

I want to be bitter because I always wanted to be able to draw like Dan Paladin, but I can't be bitter when your art looks so dang good dawg.  Like seriously, you have tons of support from our tiny community.  I really hope this actually becomes a thing because your art alone is awesome.  

I was curious, though, do you have any experience with making actual games?  Because if not, I'm sure you could find someone to help you out on Newgrounds somewhere.  You show them the art you've made already and I'm sure someone would jump on board.  Not many people do both programming and art, and I'd hate to see the project fall short due to inability.  Just my thoughts.  

But really, keep up the work, man.  You keep at it, and it means I can finally successfully kidnap Dan and you can replace him, then people will never realize he's locked in my basement.

Thank you so much! 

As of yet this is my first ever game, so I have very little experience in making them, but you gotta start somewhere. Sound and art is pretty much covered, but programming is still a problem. If you could recommend someone that would be fantastic, and thanks again for all the positive comments! 

CannyImposter    164

You're art makes me look like a fool. No wait, everyone's art makes me look like a fool. I stink at drawing. Thus, I look up to those with this kind of talent.

Keep up the good work! :D

You are not a fool. No artist is, but I went through the same faze of thinking my art was worse than everyone's. It just takes time, but you will get there :)

• Upvote 1

M80    143

Oh dang, do I spot a boss marker on the rock? Anyways this is looking really great!

CannyImposter    164

It's tarting to come together, managed to animate some flames over a cup for Scaler, added some salt and toast for salt on toast, as always tell me your suggestions

post-26137-0-81090800-1430423083_thumb.png

post-26137-0-24150900-1430423092_thumb.png

• Upvote 2

SaltOnToast    366

It's tarting to come together, managed to animate some flames over a cup for Scaler, added some salt and toast for salt on toast, as always tell me your suggestions

Haha thanks for the nod! Much appreciated! Everything looks great, one thing Im wondering about the game is that as far as the store goes is it something you will be able to click on and buy upgrades and tools from, or will you have to sneak out of the mountain between attacks to buy supplies?  

CannyImposter    164

Haha thanks for the nod! Much appreciated! Everything looks great, one thing Im wondering about the game is that as far as the store goes is it something you will be able to click on and buy upgrades and tools from, or will you have to sneak out of the mountain between attacks to buy supplies?  

The idea of the game is a wave by wave system, in between each wave there will be something like a 60 second timer before the next wave where you have to dash to the shop and make a quick decision on what to buy. It's a concept I haven't seen in a game so I thought it was a good idea.

• Upvote 1

CannyImposter    164

Does anyone know how to upload an animation to a post?

Anyhoo I've added a floating golden ghost for golden ghost, and a torch besides the tunnel that is animated with the same fir as the cup

post-26137-0-37126300-1430428198_thumb.png

Edited by CannyImposter
  • Upvote 3