Morg

Username Changes

40 posts in this topic

Something that's been bothering me recently are the bountiful username changes the members of the forum have. Most of these name changes are incredibly pointless and are made just for laughs.

In my opinion you should only change your username if it's inappropriate or something along those lines.

EDIT: We're keeping a record of changed names from now on. Let me know if I missed any.

• GameFemale --> Mangle
  • Turkey --> Isaac
  • HattyHattington --> M80
  • The Epic Dragon --> King
  • MorgLikesGames --> Morg
  • Abz2141 --> AdamBRT
Edited by megan
New name change added

Some folks seem to be a bit more excited than others to change their usernames. It definitely tends to cause confusion, though.

Maybe there should be a thread that records username changes.

If someone wants to change their username, it's not really our place to tell them no.  If they don't like it, they should have the right to change it.  It would be one thing if the users themselves could change their name on a whim, but the system now is entirely fair the way it is.

I personally dislike seeing so many name changes based solely on the fact that it's harder to keep track of users (especially ones I want to keep an eye on), but that's beside the point.

Am I missing something? From what I've seen, only Turkey and GameFemale have recently changed their usernames, and they aren't exactly funny (referring to the comment about being made just for laughs, not saying those two are not funny..)
If I missed someone, sorry for the confusion but I don't really see the problem with only two people doing it. (Again, I could be totally wrong and there could be name changing left and right)
I will agree that it does get confusing and doesn't look right when they do change them though.

The ones I've seen so far are Turkey (now Isaac), Gamefemale (now Mangle), and HattyHattington (now M80). I see nothing wrong with letting users change their usernames, since it is up to them, but I think we can all agree that changing your username is not something that should be happening frequently or even multiple times. It does become hard to keep track of and, in a lot of cases, it just feels wrong to replace the name you have after it's settled in and made itself comfortable.

The ones I've seen so far are Turkey (now Isaac), Gamefemale (now Mangle), and HattyHattington (now M80)

You forgot King, and I believe his former name was... the Epic Dragon? I could be wrong.

I always use the same username, and I think it works.

Besides, in my opinion, changing your username is either creating a whole new identity or to evade attention. It just doesn't feel right in some cases... :-(

Edited by A C Cret

I'm sorry for any confusion that may be happening around with name changes. I never really liked my other username and changed it to something that I like better. I like SushiGummy's idea and maybe if somebody wants to create the thread and if not I'll make it so everyone can be on the same page.

Maybe also limit the name change to once a month or something? Just throwing an idea out. 

I like SushiGummy's idea and maybe if somebody wants to create the thread and if not I'll make it so everyone can be on the same page.

I like the idea of a dedicated thread for keeping track of usernames too. I don't think we need to make another one considering we can just use this thread.

Can you guys imagine if I changed my name?

What kind of world would we be living in then?

Maybe also limit the name change to once a month or something? Just throwing an idea out. 

I was thinking of bringing this up at some point, but nobody's asking for name changes so often that we really need to regulate it. Megan handles most of it, so if you're worried about it, you should bring it up with her.

I like SushiGummy's idea and maybe if somebody wants to create the thread and if not I'll make it so everyone can be on the same page.

I like the idea of a dedicated thread for keeping track of usernames too. I don't think we need to make another one considering we can just use this thread.

Depends if Morg wants to keep the thread updated or anything. Doesn't really matter. If someone steps up for it, that'll be that.

If someone does make a thread for it, I recommend posting it in Birds of a Feather, and including a bit about how Megan is the one with the ability to change usernames. All username changes should be directed to her.

People might confuse you for your evil twin, Picked Up My Shoelace.

What kind of world would we be living in then?

A good world.

Please don't whip out a blackjack and beat me, pls

Edited by MeltedCow

I have had this painfully generic and terrible name since I joined in 2010, I figure I've had it long enough that if I were to change it now it'd actually be like losing a part of my identity here. 

Some people choose really poor usernames though like Dropped Your Pocket, and those people should consider changing it to spare themselves from further humility.

Depends if Morg wants to keep the thread updated or anything. Doesn't really matter. If someone steps up for it, that'll be that.

If someone does make a thread for it, I recommend posting it in Birds of a Feather, and including a bit about how Megan is the one with the ability to change usernames. All username changes should be directed to her.

I feel like honestly, it isn't a nesscessary evil right now, but as soon as Game 4 rolls around and activiy peaks per usual, it may be so. I mean, new member may start constantly changing their names (touching on the 1 month cooldown idea), or lasting members who join during that time may feel like their name is either unfitting or irrelevant (ala HattyHattington. M80 and Mr. Hatty).

I dunno. It just seems to have been a trend lately, so I guess we'll just have to see how things develop.

I. DESPERATELY. Want my username to reflect my gamertag. Apathetic Truth.

That's all I want!

I. DESPERATELY. Want my username to reflect my gamertag. Apathetic Truth.

That's all I want!

Megan is the one with the ability to change usernames. All username changes should be directed to her.

I like my username. I can't believe I came up with it, to be quite honest.

Oh and don't worry. Gamefemale should be changing her name back soon, then back to Mangle when FNAF 5 comes out in a few weeks.

Well guys, I'm changing my username to Jay. K. Lowel

Yeah, shoot me ;-)

I like my username. I changed my old username (The Epic Dragon) because it sounded so... kiddish.

Well guys, I'm changing my username to Jay. K. Lowel

Yeah, shoot me ;-)

I've actually been meaning to say that it was only about a week or so ago that I had the epiphany and realized that "A C Cret" is "A Secret"

I felt incredibly dumb for never realizing it until then, but also came to appreciate the thought put into that name as a result.

You should all strive to have clever and unique user names like "A C Cret" or "Mr. Hatty"

I like my username. I can't believe I came up with it, to be quite honest.

Oh and don't worry. Gamefemale should be changing her name back soon, then back to Mangle when FNAF 5 comes out in a few weeks.

I won't be changing my name back. I'll be Mangle for a long time.

MeltedCow is the greatest username I've ever... the XBOX "Suggestions" wheel has ever come up with.

Edited by MeltedCow

MeltedCow is the greatest username I've ever... the XBOX "Suggestions" wheel has ever come up with.

Not as good as CooledBull amirite

Not as good as CooledBull amirite

hardeeharharrrr