40 posts in this topic

Here's the scoop from the looks of it

-Pokemon Go is an augmented reality app for Android and iPhone
-You go out in the real world and find Pokemon, then battle them and catch them
-You can battle other people in real life with your Pokemon that you've caught
-You can trade Pokemon with other people in real life
-There will be events where you and your community will battle a legendary Pokemon with a time limit and attempt to defeat it
-This app comes out in 2016; it'll be free to play, but will have in-app purchases
-There will also be a watch-like Bluetooth device called Pokemon Go Plus that interacts with the game in multiple ways, such as alerting you if there is a Pokemon nearby or if something like an event is happening. This low-energy device is optional and was designed to make it so people wouldn't have to stare at their phones constantly in order to be aware of things happening around them.
-This is being developed by The Pokemon Company, Game Freak, Nintendo, and a company called Niantic that worked on a similar game called Ingress. Miyamoto himself is involved with it.
-This will not interfere with the mainline Pokemon games, but it might tie into them in the future

Here's some of what we don't know
-What Pokemon will this game start with? (Only Kanto Pokemon appear in this trailer)
-What are the in-app purchases? Pokeballs? Potions? Exclusive Pokemon like in the Game Corner? TMs and HMs?
-Which Pokemon can you find? How often? Will some Pokemon be exclusive to certain areas?
-Will battling work the same way as in Pokemon games with the same attacks, stats, abilities, etc?
-Etc

Overall I'm very excited, this is every Pokemon fan's dream and they're making it all a reality. It seems too good to be true though, especially after what The Pokemon Company pulled with Pokemon Shuffle Mobile. I eagerly await more details but for now I'm cautiously optimistic about Pokemon Go.

What do you guys think? What features do you want to see? Which Pokemon do you want to catch? What will be your type/gimmick when you become your town's gym leader? DISCUSS!!

That trailer was strangely emotional.

It looks like a lot of fun. Shame I own a Windows Phone. :(

Google announced something similar a few years ago that would work with Google Glasses, but as it turned out it was only an April Fools joke. I'm excited that Nintendo is finally going to step in and make this dream a reality.

People are going to be looking ridiculous doing this.

I will be one of those people.

Also I hope there is some kind of global trading because Pokemon seem to be environment locked and I don't just want a bunch of steel/electric types.

Son, this app better send push notifications to my Asus Zenwatch when Pokemon are nearby, and not just to this other thing they're making.  I don't need another wrist gadget just for a single app.

I will only be sold on this as soon as real life people start setting up real life gyms that people starting out can strive to triumph over, until eventually a real life Elite 4 will form and it'd be a real big deal to fly out/travel to this real life Elite 4 in your region and try to best them.... BUT ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE PROPER BADGES DOHOHOHOHO

This is super interesting and I'm excited, I'm holding back from maximum hype though until I get a better understanding of how this works and how it plays

EDIT:

I hope the only pokemon that you can catch in France are Shelmets and Mr Mime

Edited by Mr. Hatty

i actually hope that there aren't shiny Pokemon in this.

It seems that all wild Pokemon will be shared by everyone and I feel that if a shiny were to appear in an area where this game is popular fights could break out for it.

i actually hope that there aren't shiny Pokemon in this.

It seems that all wild Pokemon will be shared by everyone and I feel that if a shiny were to appear in an area where this game is popular fights could break out for it.

I fully expect mobs of people beating each other for a Shiny Pikachu

How is this gonna work with the type distribution? Most types are pretty easy to figure out (grass in plains, water in.... water etc) but what about things like Dark, and Ghost? Are we headed into haunted houses for these or what?

What about Ice? Nowhere is really snow-capped all year round, bar extreme northern/southern areas, and the two poles. Or mountains I suppose.

(This is my opinon)

Now the world will be filled with only pokemon? what about other things? like our life and other stuff, there will be phone snatching and other crap just for this game and since it will be addicting people would do anything for more pokemon and they will go into real gyms and beat people up just for this game, i prefer digtal pokemon than takeing this a bit to far...

(This is my opinon)

Now the world will be filled with only pokemon? what about other things? like our life and other stuff, there will be phone snatching and other crap just for this game and since it will be addicting people would do anything for more pokemon and they will go into real gyms and beat people up just for this game, i prefer digtal pokemon than takeing this a bit to far...

Can you imagine the Pokemon champions phone, or Pokemon account details? Must be worth a heck of a lot to the right buyer.

Pokemon black markets are go.

And you know we're gonna end up with a Team Rocket-like organisation, stealing peoples phones as a group.

Can you imagine the Pokemon champions phone, or Pokemon account details? Must be worth a heck of a lot to the right buyer.

(This is my opinon)

Pokemon black markets are go.

And you know we're gonna end up with a Team Rocket-like organisation, stealing peoples phones as a group.

Agreed, i think what is made in a computer, stays in a computer

(This is my opinon)

You say Pokemon Go would make it so people can't see anything else in life, but digital Pokemon does that even moreso than Pokemon Go hypothetically would. Pokemon Go is specifically designed to get people active and exploring the areas around them, which requires a lot more interaction with the world around you than laying on a couch playing Pokemon. I also don't think people will steal phones over this game any more than people would steal a 3DS or a game cartridge for someone's Pokemon in another game. And if you're gonna fight with someone over a wild Pokemon, the obvious solution is to battle for it.

Btw dibs on being a Ghost-type gym leader. I will be constructing my gym in Seattle so come challenge me if you want a chance at being the very best

I don't have the actual allowance to build a Pokemon gym but I just wanna catch a Shinx, that's all I want, and if Wisconsin isn't the place to find one then I can't enjoy the game :I

(This is my opinon)

You say Pokemon Go would make it so people can't see anything else in life, but digital Pokemon does that even moreso than Pokemon Go hypothetically would. Pokemon Go is specifically designed to get people active and exploring the areas around them, which requires a lot more interaction with the world around you than laying on a couch playing Pokemon. I also don't think people will steal phones over this game any more than people would steal a 3DS or a game cartridge for someone's Pokemon in another game. And if you're gonna fight with someone over a wild Pokemon, the obvious solution is to battle for it.

Btw dibs on being a Ghost-type gym leader. I will be constructing my gym in Seattle so come challenge me if you want a chance at being the very best

I like the idea of calling dibs, so I'm calling dibs on being a Fire-type gym leader. My gym will be constructed somewhere in the Houston area, so come challenge me if you dare. :evil:

If certain pokemon show up in certain areas I'm going to have water pokemon for days. Coastal boys represtent

If certain pokemon show up in certain areas I'm going to have water pokemon for days. Coastal boys represtent

If it works how I think it does it will be based on the terrain, wonder if you will be able to find rock types in caves, most likely not but still fun to imagine. 

I'm super excited for this. Shame I don't have a phone... I guess this'll be the reason to get one, since I have no friends.

I wonder how cities will work. Will they have, like, normal types or will they have tons of cool Pokemon based on new, man-made things like Garbodor, or Klefki, or the one that's ice-cream.

How will Stunfisk work? He's a ground type, but you would never find a Stunfisk on a mountain or something like that. Never. Will he be in, like, muddy areas?

I hope Northern Scotland counts as Ice-type Pokemon.

I wonder how specific it is. They can't pick specific Pokemon for each place in the entire world, can they? Because not all of certain types really belong in the same area as each other.

I hope a Snorlax sleeps on my street.

How do I get Banette?

I'm so excited.

Ok now im confused. Do i go to a hospital to treat my Pokemon after battle or a vetinarian?

Now that Pokemon Go is out in the US (and soon to be out in other regions I would assume) what Pokemon have you caught?! Where did you catch them? What types of Pokemon are showing up in your area?

I live in a suburban area with a lot of quiet neighborhoods and walking around today I saw Caterpie, Bellsprout, Zubat, Paras, Venonat, Pidgey, Spearow, and Eevee. Chose Bulbasaur as my starter Pokemon as well! I've been powering up my Bulbasaur and holding off on my other ones until I'm able to catch a few more and pick which ones I want to keep. I've visited a few monument spots around my town as well, which was neat.

Overall this is quite fun so far, a bit more engaging outside of catching Pokemon than I expected it to be. I dunno if it'll hold my interest super long but I definitely like it now and would recommend everyone to try it out when you can.

I got this app yesterday. I already spent $1 on a lucky egg so I can level up to 5 and take over the gym right near my house without going outside. Long story short, that attempt failed as I only leveled up to 4 and somebody already took over that gym when I woke up today, which I find impressive considering I don't know much people who play Pokemon in my area. So laying in my bed, using incense at 2 separate times of day and the lucky egg once, I managed to catch 3 Zubats, 3 Pidgeys, 3 Rattatas, 1 Weedle, 1 Paras, and 1 Venonat. For my starter, I chose Charmander. I've always been the one to choose Fire starters.

I can't go outside often even though I'm technically an adult now, so I can't see myself progessing through the game much without giving up a huge chunk of money. If you're like me, then I cannot recommend this game to you. Your time is much better spent hyping up for the obviously superior Pokémon Moon.

I'm in the UK so the game hasn't officially launched here yet, but since PkmnGo uses Niantic's location data from their other game (Ingress), the UK is already totally populated with Pokespots and Gyms, so I downloaded it anyway. 

However, I've only been able to log into the game about twice because the game servers are about as stable as a buncha horses, so all I've managed to catch are 2 Drowzees (they seem to show up at my house a lot), a Weedle and a Spearow (that I caught on my way to work).

Seems alright. I'll probably replace Miitomo with it as something to do on work breaks if there's no one around to talk to.