SushiGummy

Backseat Moderating

SushiGummy    394

Hey everyone. Recently we've been seeing an influx of posts where users try to enforce the rules and tell other users what they can't post on the forums, and it's been causing quite a few issues. I'd like to make a few things clear so we can avoid these situations in the future.

Please do not take it upon yourself to enforce the rules.

This is called "backseat moderating" and includes any behavior where you are attempting to educate or correct someone on the rules. Here are some examples:

• "There's no reason for this thread to exist."
  • "You've been double posting a lot lately, stop doing it."
  • "The Mods should probably lock this thread."
  • "Don't bump old threads, it's against the rules."

The moderating team is around for a reason, and it's our job to enforce the rules. We only appoint Moderators who understand the rules and can best deal with these kinds of situations, and as such rule-breakers need to be left to us.

We appreciate that some of you would like to help newer users understand the forum's rules, but a lot of issues can arise when you approach users yourself. Here are some of the reasons why backseat moderating is problematic:

• It often takes the thread off-topic.
  • Moderators can't be everywhere at once, and there's no guarantee we'll see a post just because it says "Mods please lock this."
  • If a user becomes upset with you for the way you're pointing out broken rules, you will be held responsible.
  • If you are incorrect in your claim or offend another user with your post, that makes two issues we have to resolve instead of one.
  • Approaching a user with this kind of attitude, especially a new user, may make them less confident to post.

When you see someone breaking the rules, we ask that you please use the report button. This will not only avoid any possible conflict that could arise from posting about the rules directly on the thread, but will also bring the concern to us in the quickest way possible. Keep in mind that most of our decisions are made through lots of private discussion. It can take a team of moderators to make the right decision, so we don't expect a single user to respond correctly, and we don't want to hold anybody responsible for a mistake they make with good intentions.

Most of our reports are handled privately, so just because you don't see anything come out of it doesn't mean we ignored or disagreed with your report. Sometimes the solution is as simple as sending a user a quick little private message. Other times the issue won't be major enough to deal with. If we locked every thread that was bumped, discussion would feel a lot more restricted. Bumping old threads is allowed as long as you supply a reason or are adding to the discussion, yet there have been so many users giving newcomers trouble for doing exactly that. That's part of the reason this has to stop. We can't have something as minor as a double post turning into a flame war just because someone makes a big deal out of it.

So, to review:

• Don't tell users they're breaking the rules, that's our job.
  • If you see a rule being broken, report it, don't add to the issue by talking about it in the thread.
  • Bumping is okay as long as it adds to the discussion.
  • Remember that a lot of the new users here have never been to online forums before, or have been to forums with different rules. Please don't be rude to new users, regardless of their posting habits.

If anyone has thoughts, comments, or questions, please post them here.

• Upvote 4

Hazard    394

We're sorry for trying to steer new users the right way in their posting? There's been a huge influx of new members, and most of us have just been trying to help you guys out.  You guys still deal with warnings, reminders, etc., but we are just trying to help out the new members by reminding them of rules they break.

Edited by Hazard
  • Upvote 2

U-Knighted    179

We don't have any power at all, but reminding someone of the rules shouldn't be bad. Telling someone to stop bumping a topic shouldn't be considered against the rules. You guys can go ahead and do the locks and the warning points, but telling someone to not do something is fine. They don't have to listen if they don't want to. But if the great moderators of The Behemoth Forums suggest it, I will comply.

Edited by U-Knighted

SushiGummy    394

We're sorry for trying to steer new users the right way in their posting? There's been a huge influx of new members, and most of us have just been trying to help you guys out.  You guys still deal with warnings, reminders, etc., but we are just trying to help out the new members by reminding them of rules they break.

We don't have any power at all, but reminding someone of the rules shouldn't be bad. Telling someone to stop bumping a topic shouldn't be considered against the rules. You guys can go ahead and do the locks and the warning points, but telling someone to not do something is fine. They don't have to listen if they don't want to. But if the great moderators of The Behemoth Forums suggest it, I will comply.

You're free to help out new users, link them to useful threads and pages, and to give them suggestions. But you have to be polite, you have to be correct, and you have to stay on-topic.

Like I said in the opening post, the issue comes in when a correction becomes more than just a harmless suggestion. The only reason this thread exists right now is because we've honestly had to deal with a lot of these issues lately. We've had situations where someone will correct a new user and what they say will either not reflect the rules correctly or will derail the thread. If you really want to help, it may be more worthwhile to message the user directly or leave it to the mods.

It's not that we don't appreciate your help, it's that we have mods for this kind of thing for a reason.

• Upvote 3

Hazard    394

That explanation was much better, thanks Sushi.  Personally, I have been trying to stay on topic and just throw in a mention of the rule in a note at the bottom of my post.

• Upvote 1

Zytten13    113

I'm really glad you did this. I've felt tempted a lot of times to do that "backseat moderation" thing, but then I remember people here just want to have a nice time and it's not our duty to educate other users. <3

Oh snap, will i get into trouble to post different threads for my Different animations? Because if i cant do that... well i cant get people to see my animations, also people kinda dont use the "Follow this thread" funtion not to mention it doesnt work, i followd my thread and the next thing i knew when i went to the post (i had no notifications that people commented) i saw a whole bunch of commisons and whenever i make a new animation, people wont see it nor even reamber me or the thread, not to mention my thread will be burried under ground from all the new ones, and animation takes time so it will take about a mounth for me to make a new thread about a new animation, Thanks for reading this i put it in colors to attract your intrest because these days people dont get attracted without colors, Even ME (Mostly me though)

Edited by Cyrus the Animator

GoldenGhost    2,058

Oh snap, will i get into trouble to post different threads for my Different animations? Because if i cant do that... well i cant get people to see my animations, also people kinda dont use the "Follow this thread" funtion not to mention it doesnt work, i followd my thread and the next thing i knew when i went to the post (i had no notifications that people commented) i saw a whole bunch of commisons and whenever i make a new animation, people wont see it nor even reamber me or the thread, not to mention my thread will be burried under ground from all the new ones, and animation takes time so it will take about a mounth for me to make a new thread about a new animation, Thanks for reading this i put it in colors to attract your intrest because these days people dont get attracted without colors, Even ME (Mostly me though)

This doesn't seem very related to the OP, but I'll answer ya anyways

We generally prefer people keep dicussion of similar topics in one thread, just to be economic about space and make things less confusing for other people, but as long as your different threads are on relatively different topics and you can argue that the conversations deserve to be separate, we'll probably leave it be. It makes things less hectic for everyone (including yourself) when you just have one thread for all of your art and creative projects, like plenty of people here including myself do, but we won't stop you from making multiple threads as long as they're about different things. Just an FYI though that when you make a post in any thread, it bumps the thread to the top of the feed, so people are almost guaranteed to see it! You don't need to make new threads if you're worried about people not seeing your new content. If the mods think your threads are too similar we'll likely merge them together and explain in the new thread what we did. Just be careful not to let that happen very often though because that's spammy behavior, and that is breaking a rule. Not sure what to tell you about following threads not working (frankly I almost never use that function) other than to make a post about it in the Technical Issues thread if you think something's funky. I'm sure Skylatron would be happy to look into that for you.

Anyways to steer this back on topic with the OP, if someone were to tell you that a thread you made should be locked, you definitely wanna check with a mod before listening to that information since occasionally other people's judgments about that stuff aren't correct. (A good amount of times they are though, and they're just trying to get you in good posting habits.)

• Upvote 1

Isaac    1,218

What gets me is when people say things like "I'll leave it up to the mods for this" or something along those lines. It just sounds like you think it's your job to tell people that their threads have a chance of getting locked. It's completely pointless.

• Upvote 1

We generally prefer people keep dicussion of similar topics in one thread, just to be economic about space and make things less confusing for other people, but as long as your different threads are on relatively different topics and you can argue that the conversations deserve to be separate, we'll probably leave it be. It makes things less hectic for everyone (including yourself) when you just have one thread for all of your art and creative projects, like plenty of people here including myself do, but we won't stop you from making multiple threads as long as they're about different things. Just an FYI though that when you make a post in any thread, it bumps the thread to the top of the feed, so people are almost guaranteed to see it! You don't need to make new threads if you're worried about people not seeing your new content. If the mods think your threads are too similar we'll likely merge them together and explain in the new thread what we did. Just be careful not to let that happen very often though because that's spammy behavior, and that is breaking a rule. Not sure what to tell you about following threads not working (frankly I almost never use that function) other than to make a post about it in the Technical Issues thread if you think something's funky. I'm sure Skylatron would be happy to look into that for you.

Anyways to steer this back on topic with the OP, if someone were to tell you that a thread you made should be locked, you definitely wanna check with a mod before listening to that information since occasionally other people's judgments about that stuff aren't correct. (A good amount of times they are though, and they're just trying to get you in good posting habits.)

Another question, Another dissopointment

Alright lets start off with the first part (Im not argueing im just confused)

You said that if i made a update in the post people would see it?

Well i dont disagree, i fully agree but theres a tiny weene and small liwwtle problem...

You see im not gonna blame this all on the complicated layout (Not appeling for a fourms with such color)

lets add some sience to this conversation, 

According to History of humans haveing a complicated look or not so easy looking layout (not saying that people dont get used to it)

Say that they have a slight less unfair chance of clicking on the bigger topics like the new ones, even though they dont intrest you, you click on them and go back (Like how you/Others clicked on this topic because it looked intresteing and had mod related stuff and the 15% of the people seeing this because its a new topic)

Now im not argueing with you mods, you guys are honestly the cops of the internet and i like cops 

were getting off topic here but im going A H E A D of our selfs

Lets just say that A human is less likeyly to click next page even if it intrests them, im not saying to change the layout to more of a appeling look (If you did that would create a debate agienst the old one and the new one) no no im saying that its slightly unfair to keep the topics at the tiny below the creatisom and at page 65 (Of my art forum) people will get bugged that its such a long old topic (i know i do and just for this comment i acctually asked my friends what would they do? 2 out of 1 said that they would rather look at the new ones because it keeps them updated (theve been on  different fourms before) the 1 said that hed go to the place that intrests him 

So ultimately lets go to the secound thing you said (as i said before i am not argueing nor giving out my opinons im just trying to help my self and others who get stuck in situations like these as a animator or artist)

I just am sad that im useing all the knack with the info of human attraction in my messages (like the colors one i posted earlier starting this topic) but thats the least i can do... the rest is up to you guys to try to help me...

Not to mention i my self like topics brand new with less comments and less pages 

it just looks old and for some reason really odd to be romeing around old things rather than go to the new stuff like what had been posted live, that would be more intresting!

This is the entire reason why twitter exists, another one of the human perceptions of wanting to stay "Updated" Related the topic or not

And lets all be honest here, you proberly clicked on a new topic that diddent intrest you and looked at it and went back atleast one time

its all in our human heads causeing these illusions (i have no better word)

Basicly thanks for the kind reply and thanks for clearing my doubts i thank you internet cops for thy protection and thank you for letting me get ahead of our selfs and talk about science and this webpage

i just find it frustarateing that the latest topics which are modifyed dont have like a trigger or option that informs if anything is new in one topic and trigger that button with a section which looks exactly like the new topics Bar which shows the recent things that are new in one thread i know i know a far fetch but as i said, im getting ahead of our selfs Thanks internet cops!/ Justice people!/ The ultimighty Respected mods!  (i like this name)  :-)

Edited by Cyrus the Animator

yugo657    450

Well i dont disagree, i fully agree but theres a tiny weene and small liwwtle problem...

You see im not gonna blame this all on the complicated layout (Not appeling for a fourms with such color)

According to History of humans haveing a complicated look or not so easy looking layout (not saying that people dont get used to it)

Say that they have a slight less unfair chance of clicking on the bigger topics like the new ones, even though they dont intrest you, you click on them and go back (Like how you/Others clicked on this topic because it looked intresteing and had mod related stuff and the 15% of the people seeing this because its a new topic)

Now im not argueing with you mods, you guys are honestly the cops of the internet and i like cops 

Lets just say that A human is less likeyly to click next page even if it intrests them, im not saying to change the layout to more of a appeling look (If you did that would create a debate agienst the old one and the new one) no no im saying that its slightly unfair to keep the topics at the tiny below the creatisom and at page 65 (Of my art forum) people will get bugged that its such a long old topic (i know i do and just for this comment i acctually asked my friends what would they do? 2 out of 1 said that they would rather look at the new ones because it keeps them updated (theve been on  different fourms before) the 1 said that hed go to the place that intrests him 

So ultimately lets go to the secound thing you said (as i said before i am not argueing nor giving out my opinons im just trying to help my self and others who get stuck in situations like these as a animator or artist)

I just am sad that im useing all the knack with the info of human attraction in my messages (like the colors one i posted earlier starting this topic) but thats the least i can do... the rest is up to you guys to try to help me...

Not to mention i my self like topics brand new with less comments and less pages 

it just looks old and for some reason really odd to be romeing around old things rather than go to the new stuff like what had been posted live, that would be more intresting!

This is the entire reason why twitter exists, another one of the human perceptions of wanting to stay "Updated" Related the topic or not

And lets all be honest here, you proberly clicked on a new topic that diddent intrest you and looked at it and went back atleast one time

Basicly thanks for the kind reply and thanks for clearing my doubts i thank you internet cops for thy protection and thank you for letting me get ahead of our selfs and talk about science and this webpage

i just find it frustarateing that the latest topics which are modifyed dont have like a trigger or option that informs if anything is new in one topic and trigger that button with a section which looks exactly like the new topics Bar which shows the recent things that are new in one thread i know i know a far fetch but as i said, im getting ahead of our selfs Thanks internet cops!/ Justice people!/ The ultimighty Respected mods!  (i like this name)  :-)

I don't wanna sound rude, but do you have a TL;DR of this? Cause the colours and the different fonts make it hard to read and understand what you're trying to say. I've tried reading it before anyone calls me lazy for not reading it, I just don't understand what you're saying, besides that the forums have a bad layout, which, in my opinion, is a good and simple layout that I would not want to be changed because it isn't broken or confusing.

Edited by yugo657
  • Upvote 1

GoldenGhost    2,058

I'll help you as best as I can with this, but now this is getting a little off-topic, so lemme see if I can help you via PM  ;-)

• Upvote 1