• Announcements

• megan

RTX 2017 - Booth 401   06/02/2017

We’re headed back to Austin, Texas for our 5th time exhibiting at Rooster Teeth Expo (RTX)! You’ll be able to find us at RTX 2017 Booth 401 (next to our friends, Supergiant Games) from July 7 to July 9 and we’re going to have lots of new stuff this year.   See our Blog Post for all the details, including the new merch we're bringing with us! 
AdamBRT

Steam Hardware

14 posts in this topic

CODNkx8WEAAQ77a.jpg

Talk about the Steam Hardware here and discuss your opinions on how the controller feels/How well the Steam Link streams and whether it is worth the price that you are paying.

If anyone has a Steam controller and pre-ordered with the first batch please post your opinion because I have been wondering whether to purchase one and it would be great to hear your opinion.  

I've been curious about getting one of the controllers as well. I don't have a controller to use with Steam games these days, but the controllers $50 at Gamestop, so I wanna hear what people think about 'em before making a purchase.

I preordered the controller over the summer and have gotten it today. Even though I won't play any games using it until BoI Afterbirth, I did open it today just to get the feel of the controller and set it up to where I can play with it when Devil's Night rolls around.

The controller is not like any other controller I ever held in my hand. When I plugged it in, I immediately was a bit spooked when my pointer started moving when my thumb landed on the right huge circle (idk what it's called). I then proceeded to mess with every other button and found out the stick and left huge circle could be used to scroll and the right trigger is the right click. In my opinion, it's a weird setup, but I could live with it.

Overall, so far it's a really good controller, and I recommend it if you want to browse the web without using a mouse (you'll still have to use a keyboard for typing though :() I'll come back here and give it a full review after I play over 9000 hours of Afterbirth.

I'd report my experience with those thingies... if Steam hardware was actually available in Mexico. Most Steam Hardware items can be seen on the Steam Store though, so maybe I'll be getting a Steam Controller next year (?).

I've been curious about getting one of the controllers as well. I don't have a controller to use with Steam games these days, but the controllers $50 at Gamestop, so I wanna hear what people think about 'em before making a purchase.

I haven't used one, but unless you're planning on playing a lot of FPS games with it, you might as well just buy a Dualshock 4 or Xbox One controller and use that. 

I'm really interested in these, the controller looks like nothing I've ever seen before. I'll probably need a few test runs until I'm fully comfortable.

I've heard mixed reviews for the controller, that only the controller works for some genres of games and that it doesn't really work for Fps' such as CS:GO however controllers have never worked with that type of game on PC. Another point that people have said that they would have rather had a convex right analog for the mouse instead of the concave that it has now, which personally would have been a better design in my opinion.

I wanted to pick one up, but can't justify it, knowing that I own three, perfectly working, wired 360 controllers.

I wanted to pick one up, but can't justify it, knowing that I own three, perfectly working, wired 360 controllers.

I gat so many PC compatible controllers now I'm past the point of caring hahaha. I try and use them all whenever I can, especially the arcade stick. If the Steam controller is good, then I'll probably pick one up at some point, too.

That's what I'm thinking though, I only have 1 wired controller and the wire case is splitting showing the bare wire. And with a controller that is wireless and £40 (Rocket League and Portal 2 are worth £20 alone so the controller is practically £20). So I am considering it to be a good replacement.  

So let me get this strait, Steam Machines are essentially a computer that isn't that good, for $500-$2000, that runs Linux?

Genius idea Valve, 11/10.

Edited by U-Knighted

So let me get this strait, Steam Machines are essentially a computer that isn't that good, for $500-$2000, that runs Linux?

Kinda, Steam machines aren't that good because you can get a decent computer that runs better and it runs SteamOS. The problem I have with it is that it doesn't state the Graphics Card on the description of the Alienware, it also seems a bit fishy that it just says "Nvidia Geforce GTX" without giving the model number, I mean it could be a 650 which won't run many games especially next gen games. 

Considering I am looking to upgrade my computer I wouldn't go with any looking at the specifications, I have found a better computer which costs about the same as the cheapest Alienware. 

The 500$ ones are already stronger than modern consoles and are there for the console users so they don't have to build their rig. Also, it's possible to use Windows on it with a bit of tweaking. Anyways, making it use Linux is good, because that means it'll get more love now.