• Announcements

• megan

Update 5: Infinite Wisdom is here!   10/05/2017

Hey everyone, We’re back with another update that really mixes some stuff up. An entirely new challenging mode, a rebalance of the entire game to go with the rework of the new leveling progression numbers, ability to do the co-op intro online, faster PVP rounds, language translations and more! With the rebalance you’ll find that your fighters are dealing even more damage as they gain experience. All balance changes are retro-active meaning you do not have to worry about starting over or starting new characters in order to experience that – they’re all dynamically applied to what you already have! Feel free to check out what we’ve changed in the list below, and as always – please leave us feedback about anything you find noteworthy. As always, the main Story (although not included in this update) is being developed alongside all these improvements we have been releasing. Check out our blog for the full changelist: http://blog.thebehemoth.com/2017/09/28/update-5-infinite-wisdom-is-here/
    • megan

FALL SALE! 25% OFF select merch   10/16/2017

Time to stock up on all of our autumn appropriate threads and accessories!

From now thru October 22, 2017 (11:59PM PST), we’ve got sweatshirts and warm plush hats on sale at 25% OFF in our online store! There are also a few other rad items like the Behemoth scarf, skate decks, and the Hatty tissue box cover on sale.

See the full list of Fall items here: FALL SALE
U-Knighted

Building A Gaming Rig (Help

I was originally a console gamer a year ago and just recently I've really gotten into steam. I used to only use it for TF2 on occasion but since I picked up BBT and CC in the Steam summer sale I've been hooked. Here's the thing - other games just don't run well on my laptop. I need a new rig. I've got no monies ( :-() so I this is kind of a long term plan. I'm thinking about getting a job so I can save up on getting one, but before I do that I really need to just find out how much I'm going to spend and how it's going to work.

All I know right now is this - 4GB of RAM is minimal, 1TB hard drive is recommended, and that Desktops are better then laptops. I also have got a list of all the parts I need:

CPU 

RAM 
Graphics Card 
Hard Drive 
DVD drive  
Power supply
Computer Case

So, now what? I'm sure building the PC isn't going to be to much of a problem, I just need to know the parts I need. I'm hoping for around $500 dollars but I'm willing to go for a stretch of $1000. This is a longterm plan and I don't need a new rig now.

(Also I don't think a DVD drive is needed as barely any games are physical copies for PC nowadays.)

The only preferred specs I would want is 8GB of RAM and at least 1TB hard drive. I'm no computer expert really so I'm not sure about everything else.

That's why I'm here. Oh teach me great members of The Behemoth, teach me the ways of the PC master race.

NOTE: The thread title was a mistake. Supposed to be:

Building A Gaming Rig (Help?) Edited by U-Knighted

My only advices are: never go for the lowest tier parts. I.E. No Nvidia GT (without the 'X') or R7 250 (or worse) GPU's on the AMD side, AND get 8GB RAM (on two 4GB IDENTICAL sticks if possible). Playing with 4GB RAM, in my case, makes some new games pretty unplayable.

You have a pretty flexible budget, so you should build whatever you like as long as the parts are compatible with each other and they aren't totally outdated. I'll try to update later with a bit of orientation on the matter.

• Upvote 1

My only advices are: never go for the lowest tier parts. I.E. No Nvidia GT (without the 'X') or R7 250 (or worse) GPU's on the AMD side, AND get 8GB RAM (on two 4GB IDENTICAL sticks if possible). Playing with 4GB RAM, in my case, makes some new games pretty unplayable.

You have a pretty flexible budget, so you should build whatever you like as long as the parts are compatible with each other and they aren't totally outdated. I'll try to update later with a bit of orientation on the matter.

This part is crucial not so much for graphics and RAM (although still important) but mainly for the processor because of matching the FM sockets. And I would go for Nvidia GTX 750 or higher for graphics card and not AMD but that is just personal preference.  

• Upvote 2

What would be the best distributor of said products? 

IMPO, I'd go with AMD for a GPU. Maybe a 390X or 380X if they go on sale during xmas.

Edited by yugo657
  • Upvote 1

Ah yes, building computers, my favorite thing on this planet.  I absolutely love the feeling of building your own PC the way you want it.  Getting started is the hardest step, it all gets easier from there!  Make sure you brush up on your knowledge by reading guides and watching videos such as this and this.  That will help you get acquainted with what you'll be doing.  Also feel free to check out my old computer thread, as it may have information you might need/want.

The biggest thing is to stay in budget, but still get what you want.  For the cheapest option, go with an AMD setup for your CPU and motherboard and video card.  Get what you desire, but choose wisely.  I personally go through hours of looking at parts when I build a PC so I know I'm getting exactly what I want.  Look up benchmarks for CPUs and video cards, look at reviews for cases and power supplies, etc. etc.  It can easily become a hobby for those who enjoy it, such as I do.

For most people, sticking to the standard ATX format for your motherboard and case is the way to go, but if you're interested, going with a micro-ITX build can be fun as well.  Plus, then you don't have a giant computer taking up tons of space on (or next to) your desk.  The downside is that you often lose out on possible cooling options (ie large water cooling setups or fans) but you get a powerful, yet compact computer.  My next PC, which will be replacing my current one, will actually be built on a m-ITX build, so I can have a smaller case to fit on my desk eventually.  For sure something to look into if you're interested.

Building a computer is a fun thing to do, but my recommendation is this:  If you do get to the point where you're making money and saving for a PC, DON'T cut corners.  Don't go super cheap on some components (ESPECIALLY your power supply).  You'll regret it a year or two later and be rebuilding part by part.  Instead, spend the extra hundred on your video card or CPU and make it last more than just a year or two.  Trust me, it will be worth it.

Also, feel free to check out this channel on YouTube.  They do computer builds every now and then that can help you get an idea of what you can get that is good quality for a decent price.  I watched their videos religiously when I was preparing to build my first computer, so I recommend them highly.

Anyway, sorry for the wall of text.  I could talk about computers in so much more detail for hours on end, but I'll refrain.  If you have any questions on things, feel free to ask.  I don't want to toot my own horn, but I'm probably one of the most knowledgeable people on the forums when it comes to computers (not to belittle the others!), and I would be happy to help out if needed. 

• Upvote 3

What operating system would you all recommend? I really like Windows 10's interface but I hear Windows 7 is better performance wise.

I'd get Windows 10 if you're looking between the two.

Windows 7 is slowly become irrelevant in Microsoft's world and they're trying to kill it off.

• Upvote 1

What operating system would you all recommend? I really like Windows 10's interface but I hear Windows 7 is better performance wise.

I know a bunch of people who hate on Win10 just because it's different, but in my experience I've never had any problems with it. If anything, my PC seems to boot up a lot faster since I upgraded to 10. I could do without the Win10 "apps" and live tiles in the Start Menu though.
  • Upvote 1