Chris    1,200

That title screen animation is super slick and I love it. This game looks great. I'm really glad they gave us some actual gameplay to get excited about and not just the usual CG/cutscene crap that SEGA usually puts out for new Sonic releases (*cough* Sonic 2017 *cough*). 

Also I'm also glad that Christian Whitehead is on the team for this one. That guy did a brilliant job porting SonicCD,1 & 2 to a bunch of platforms, all with bonus content and bug fixes.

We should be wary, though. The Sonic Cycle is real, and there's only been like 2 games in the past 10 years that broke it. Hopefully Mania & Sonic17 can break it, too.

SonicCycle.png

• Upvote 2

AdamBRT    421

Hey look, Sega finally got the idea that 3D Sonic isn't working out for them and that nostalgia sells.

Taken them long enough and many failed attempts, but so long as they got the idea.

Edited by AdamBRT

daikonboy101    406

Hmmm... Why's it got pixel art? At least make it, like, 2D cartoony or something. Don't just be like "HEY, this is the old game."

People liked the 2D parts of Generations, right? Just do more of that. Show some sort of evolution, at least.

Also, is it just me that thinks that a lot of the animations look really weird?

At least the long lasting tradition of Sonic's music being amazing is still seemingly alive.

Morg    1,515

Hmmm... Why's it got pixel art? At least make it, like, 2D cartoony or something. Don't just be like "HEY, this is the old game."

People liked the 2D parts of Generations, right? Just do more of that. Show some sort of evolution, at least.

I think it's pixel art because when they made Sonic 4 episode 1 and 2, they were trying to be like the old games but they were extremely flawed. Having it look like the old games here is a safer approach, and it's one that most people are fine with.

Also, I don't think the animation is bad. It's just unnatural to see Sonic and his world in a constant state of movement, one that flows smoothly and nicely. Most Sonic games on Genesis were somewhat jagged in animation, specifically you could tell where in the animation the character loops, but here it's much harder to guess and it adds life into the game.

For example, here's Sonic's walk cycle in 2 between the earliest known prototype and the final game:

RWjHZaL.png

Ignoring that the final game redrew the walking sprites, in the prototype Sonic had 12 unique frames of his walking cycle, but in the final game this was dropped to 8. With more animation, naturally it looks much smoother. They probably dropped the extra frames because it looked out of place with the other start and stop animations he had.

• Upvote 2

Hazard    394

Definitely not pre-ordering, I've gotten screwed by too many bad Sonic games in a row. However, I will get it if it turns out to be good.

daikonboy101    406

I think it's pixel art because when they made Sonic 4 episode 1 and 2, they were trying to be like the old games but they were extremely flawed. Having it look like the old games here is a safer approach, and it's one that most people are fine with.

Also, I don't think the animation is bad. It's just unnatural to see Sonic and his world in a constant state of movement, one that flows smoothly and nicely. Most Sonic games on Genesis were somewhat jagged in animation, specifically you could tell where in the animation the character loops, but here it's much harder to guess and it adds life into the game.

For example, here's Sonic's walk cycle in 2 between the earliest known prototype and the final game:

RWjHZaL.png

Ignoring that the final game redrew the walking sprites, in the prototype Sonic had 12 unique frames of his walking cycle, but in the final game this was dropped to 8. With more animation, naturally it looks much smoother. They probably dropped the extra frames because it looked out of place with the other start and stop animations he had.

True, but it could've been hand drawn animation and they would have to change nothing... At least I think. Because they're still just sprites, right?

Yeah, the animation is good, I didn't mean to say it was bad. There's just something weird about it, and I think it might just be seeing pixel art running so smoothly, I dunno... It wouldn't be there if it was hand drawn, whatever it is.

Anyways, I don't really mind. I probably wasn't going to get it either way, and have no attachment to the older games.

True213    250

RWjHZaL.png

True213, but it could've been hand drawn animation and they would have to change nothing... At least I think. Because they're still just sprites, right?

Yeah, the animation is good, I didn't mean to say it was bad. There's just something weird about it, and I think it might just be seeing pixel art running so smoothly, I dunno... It wouldn't be there if it was hand drawn, whatever it is.

Anyways, I don't really mind. I probably wasn't going to get it either way, and have no attachment to the older games.

They went 16-bit for their 16-bit icon. Mega Man 9 and 10 did it.

• Upvote 1

daikonboy101    406

RWjHZaL.png

True213, but it could've been hand drawn animation and they would have to change nothing... At least I think. Because they're still just sprites, right?

They went 16-bit for their 16-bit icon. Mega Man 9 and 10 did it.

I would agree, but he isn't really a 16-bit icon anymore, he's more of a gaming icon. You wouldn't really say Mario is an 8-bit icon, would you?

Mangle    399
Chris    1,200

2 words everybody. COLLECTOR'S. EDITION.

sonic-mania-collectors-edition-1024x877.

As of right now, it's 'murica and Canada only. No word if Europe is getting it too.

This CE is awesome, no doubt about that. And for $70 it's pretty good deal, too.

It's a big shame there's no plans for an EU release, but I guess the nostalgia factor of the figure won't be as high for EU users, which might hurt sales a bit. They'd have to remake the figure so Sonic is standing on an EU Mega Drive instead of an NA Genesis or something:

mega_drive_1.jpg

Morg    1,515

It's a big shame there's no plans for an EU release

Yeah, but who got the last few Collectors Editions, eh?

Edited by Morg
  • Upvote 2

Scaler193    898

It's give and take with collectors editions coming to NA or EU. You only really notice when they don't come to your area.

I'm not a huge fan of Sonic games, never really was. But damn do they got some good beats.

• Upvote 2

Morg    1,515

More footage has surfaced, here's some Tails and Knuckles gameplay in the new Mirage Saloon zone.

Edited by Morg
  • Upvote 1

Mangle    399

Is it me or does Knuckles look more pink than red? If he has his super form in this game, it's gonna be confusing as hell if they don't rework Knuckles' sprites.

Morg    1,515
Just now, Mangle said:

Is it me or does Knuckles look more pink than red? If he has his super form in this game, it's gonna be confusing as hell if they don't rework Knuckles' sprites.

I think they based his colors on his Knuckles Chaotix palette. The CRT filter in the footage might also cause some colors to be different.

32X_Chaotix.png

And if he has a super form in the game, they'll very likely use a much brighter pink.

Mangle    399
On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 1:53 AM, Morg said:

I think they based his colors on his Knuckles Chaotix palette. The CRT filter in the footage might also cause some colors to be different.

32X_Chaotix.png

And if he has a super form in the game, they'll very likely use a much brighter pink.

I can see how it's based off Knuckles Chaotix in some form, but it really does bother me, even in that game, he looks more pink than red. I played Sonic 3 & Knuckles before Chaotix so I may be a little biased, but every time I see Knuckles like that, I always think he's in his super form when he's really not. I just hope if his super form is in Mania they'll either rework the sprites or use a lighter pink for the super form.