Sign in to follow this  
Klepackage

Klepackage's Tips for Quality Posts!

Klepackage    0

After reading the list that of requirements that Kelly looks for in a good mod, I decided to create this list to aid aspiring moderators with the grammar aspect of their posts. This is meant as a genuinely constructive post and is not flame bait in anyway. I'm not an English teacher (soon to be math) but I'm a stickler for proper grammar. With that said, here are my tips.

1) Opinions

Everybody has an opinion. They are also entitled to this opinion. That doesn’t mean that you have to agree with it. If you disagree with someone, please try and be respectful. Explain why you disagree and try and provide some reasoning for this.

2) Search Function

This one relates to the Opinion point quite well. Some people will disagree with you. Beware though as some people will also agree with you! If you have an idea, please use the search function first. You can find people who agree with you and become best friends. You also don’t annoy the moderators because they don’t have to lock your repeat thread. Searching makes friends, not enemies!

3) Spell Check

The forums have this one built in. As you’re writing your message, you’ll notice that some squiggly, red lines may be placed underneath the word. That means that the underlined word is not spelled properly. Sadly, the spell check only works on individual words, not full sentences. If you meant to type “from” and typed “form” instead, the spell check will allow it.

4) Quoting

Using the quote feature is a great way to respond to a particular comment from another poster. It helps you phrase your idea as the through provoking comment is right in front of you. This feature can also artificially increase post length. Some posters (I’m guilty) like to write long posts (walls of text). Please quote only the relevant portion of the post that you’re responding to. If you’re responding to more than one section, please separate the quotes and pair them with your response.

5) Preview

This beautiful feature allows you to see exactly what your post will look like after you hit submit. However, you can change something before anyone sees it! This is especially useful for posts that respond to trolls or flame bait.

6) Edit

Sometimes we all say stupid things. Sometimes we type out those stupid things, type them into a forum and publish them for the whole world to see. If you made a mistake, you can correct it using the Edit feature below every post of yours.

7) Text Formatting

When something is typed in all capitals, it can GRAB YOUR ATTENTION. This can quickly become annoying and cumbersome if an entire post is written in uppercase lettering. The same applies for the bold, italics, underlining, and color features. Use sparingly for great effect.

8) Proper Usage of Your/You’re

WARNING! There is a difference between “your” and “you’re”! The former is strictly possessive. That means that you use it when you want to say something belongs to someone. For example, I could say “I like your sweater”. You own the sweater and I like it. “You’re” is a contraction of “you” and “are”. That means that one word takes the place of those two words. As a possible example, I could say “I agree with you. I think that you’re correct”. In this case I was saying that I think you are correct. The distinction is easy to make and sounds silly if you do it wrong!

9) Proper Usage of To/Too (for ChickenHounk911)

This is another common grammatical mistake seen on many an internet forum. Most people know when to use "to". Often you may see "too" used instead. "Too" is used when referring to something excessive or larger. For example, "I had too many burritos for breakfast". In that scenario, I had more burritos than I should have, this "too many". "To" is often used for intent. I am going to the party. I am going to do my homework. The easiest way to avoid this switch up is to check if you're dealing with a quantity. In that case, add an O and use "too". Otherwise, keep it short with a singular O for "to".

Please keep this list in mind as you’re writing your future posts.

Post cleanly, my friends!

=Klepackage

*Edit: Added Rule 9

Klepackage    0
Excellent post with some very good points. I would also throw in the "to" instead of "too" (i.e. to many of these posts!) I see this a lot.

Done and added. Thanks for the feedback.

I agree this is great, and very helpful., particularly for folks who wish to become mods.

I do want to point out however, that if you are not looking to be a mod, you certainly don't have to stress about grammar and whatnot. We are not grammar nazi's and aren't about to ban you if you misspell a word or mix up your tenses or something.

Likewise, when posting (not this thread obviously) please don't correct other people's grammar unless they ask for feedback, or you really can't tell what they are trying to say and need clarification. I agree its clearer and easier to read when folks use good grammar/spelling, but for a lot of people they come to forums like this to escape the strict text rules of school/work, so lets not give them a hard time!

keep up the good work Klepackage!

:arrow:

kelly

I agree this is great, and very helpful., particularly for folks who wish to become mods.

I do want to point out however, that if you are not looking to be a mod, you certainly don't have to stress about grammar and whatnot. We are not grammar natzi's and aren't about to ban you if you misspell a word or mix up your tenses or something.

Likewise, when posting (not this thread obviously) please don't correct other people's grammar unless they ask for feedback, or you really can't tell what they are trying to say and need clarification. I agree its clearer and easier to read when folks use good grammar/spelling, but for a lot of people they come to forums like this to escape the strict text rules of school/work, so lets not give them a hard time!

kelly

beuts thates me jub! :lol:

Roy-G-Biv    447

Rule Number 10). Post in the right section.

This is helpful to the average newbie, but this belongs in Offtopic, seeing that this is not related to CC.

Denivire    6
Rule Number 10) Post in the right section.

This is helpful to the average newbie, but this belongs in Off-Topic, seeing that this is not related to CC.

You know what? I thought this post was completely awesome, until I read this and Kelly's response indicating it WAS in the wrong section. Now I just giggle at the fact it was in the wrong section when it was being so serious... :lol:

agnryclock    0

I do want to point out however, that if you are not looking to be a mod, you certainly don't have to stress about grammar and whatnot. We are not grammar natzi's and aren't about to ban you if you misspell a word or mix up your tenses or something.

kelly

Mispelled "nazis". :oops:

Klepackage    0

I knew that I was indeed posting it to the CC forum. I did this because the discussion on how to become a mod was located in the CC forum without being moved.

That coupled with the sheer volume difference between the two was why I chose not to post it in the Off Topic section.

Believe me, I passed on that as a tip because I knew what I was doing. Sorry for the hassle.

SND Zag1    0

Nice post.

While no one should be 'grammar natzis [sic]', as Kelly put it, it is nice if every one can understand your post. Please try to make sense. ;)

I might also want to remind you guys that specific topic titles are nice. Topic titles such as "Question" or "What's this?" are very vague and annoying to me.

So if anything, don't annoy me, if not every one else. I mean it. :evil:

(Sorta)

Hellvector    0
Nice post.

While no one should be 'grammar natzis [sic]', as Kelly put it, it is nice if every one can understand your post. Please try to make sense. ;)

I might also want to remind you guys that specific topic titles are nice. Topic titles such as "Question" or "What's this?" are very vague and annoying to me.

So if anything, don't annoy me, if not every one else. I mean it. :evil:

(Sorta)

Obey the Zag! :arrow:

Very insightful! And the time and effort put into writing this is greatly appreciated. Nice to see others that prefer a well structure post, rather than the other one worded responses some may write (which I may be guilty of having done a few times :) ).

Mr Krusty    0

I think something about wall of texts should be put there as well. They usually happen when someone is explaining something complicated or doesn't shorten words to make a simpler sentence.

A wall of text discourages people to actually read your post and technically can become null. There's been many times that I come across a wall of text and just skip the post. Try to abbreviate words, use contractions, and make paragraphs to avoid this problem.

Anyways, your post is very much appreciated Klepackage, it will definitely help new forum-goers.

Would you care to use the described format and repost that in a civilized and less incomplete manner? :ugeek:

Jk you don't have to, I just find it is kinda ironic that you would post a sentence like that on a topic adressing QUALITY POSTS(no offense to you) :lol: