Sign in to follow this  
MRvister

How to open your NAT and other ways to improve online connec

MRvister    1

EDIT by Kelly: Though this guide was initially written to aid XBLA players in opening their NAT, much of this is applicable to PSN as well as XBLA. Open your NAT, make uPnP available, and make sure the ports listed are forwarded. Doing these things will help ensure your router can play nice with others. Please post comments and suggestions in this thread!

-k

We definitely recommend taking whatever steps you can to change you NAT setting to open if it is currently STRICT as well.

Well, here are the steps! I was checking the Tech forums the other day and noticed a lot of people with network problems, so I decided to help them out.. If you're wondering how I know all this, well let's just say that one day I got annoyed with my NAT. So I spent the next 3 days learning. Also, if someone saw a thread about network problems, redirect them here! :D

Before I start, some people might not want to configure their router because they might be afraid of mucking their settings up. If that's the case, get your Caregiver/Dad or whatever to do it. Or don't change it and leave it as strict.

What types of NAT are there? What is NAT?

Network address translation. NAT. Is the process of modifying network address information in datagram packet headers while in transit across a traffic routing device for the purpose of remapping a given address space into another.

OPEN: Best NAT, it's what everyone wants. Open NAT allows for anyone to join you and you to join everyone else! This thread is about opening your nat.

MODERATE/STRICT: NAT types you don't want, you can't connect to other people properly and people start having network problems.

Who can connect to who?

Here is a nice little diagram showing who can connect to who:

NAT_table.jpg

As you can see, anything can connect to open. But Strict can't connect to moderate etc...

How to check if your NAT is open or not

Turn on your xbox360, and go to System Settings.

Open up Network Settings, and start Test Xbox LIVE connection.

If your receive a NAT warning, then your NAT is NOT open.

How to open your NAT -router-

UPnP

Every router has a different way to open your NAT, but all of them require ports to be opened or UPnP.

First off, you need to access your router. Enter it's IP address (whether it's 192.168.1.1 or something, you will have to find out) and enter your user name and password. (Usually admin admin unless you have changed it). If you can, in your router check your NAT.

First thing to try would be UPnP - Universal Plug and Play. Go into your routers settings and search around in Firewall or NAT settings. Make sure it's enabled. Some routers don't have UPnP but enabling this can open your NAT.

Here is a picture of my UPnP enabled.

why.jpg

Port forwarding

If UPnP doesn't work, leave it enabled and try port forwarding. Find "Port forwarding" or "Virtual servers" (It's called virtual servers on my router anyway..) or something like it. Also check the DHCP client list for your xboxs IP (usually called "unkown")

For XBLA Open these ports.

* TCP 88* Microsoft's website says 80. Probably a typo.

* UDP 88

* UDP 3074

* TCP 3074

* UDP 53

* TCP 53

for PSN : TCP Ports: 80, 443, 5223, and UDP Ports: 3478, 3479, and 3658

Here is MS explanation for opening ports.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908874

I have a picture that may help some of you who don't understand.

Untitled-2.png

For those of you who have a really dodgy router. (Like me!) Look at this..

lolhello.jpg

Each router is different when opening ports, so here's a good website to find out how to do it. (Make sure to find out your router model!)

http://portforward.com/routers.htm

Click on your router, and then scroll down to X and find Xbox360.

DMZ

That's right, most likely your router will have a firewall preventing people from connecting to you. Easy way to fix it. Take your xbox360 out of it!

This is quite simple, find out your xbox360s IP address and then add and apply.

I got a snip of my DMZ (I have not added my xbox to it, as my NAT is open.) But I put in the local IP of my xbox360.

Capture-1.jpg

Well, hopefully this helps people with NAT problems!

How to find out your IP address (not local)

I almost forgot, all those 192.168.?.? IP addresses you are looking at are all LOCAL, they are for your network and not for the internet! To find out your IP address click here!

http://whatismyipaddress.com/

Also, I recommend that you check your router's brand website and update your firmware. It's always good to have the latest.

Other information

I compacted this thread so that people don't have to read so much.

Happy holidays everyone! Remember, this is for your benefit! So don't spam.

:D If your still having problems, PM me. Remember, I couldn't cater to everyone's need. But that port forwarding website is cool. Also, I find that google helps. :lol:

Please post here if you have more information to add, or if this is helpful/think it is helpful.

Important note: DO NOT TURN NETWORK ADDRESS TRANSLATION OFF.

MRvister    1

Reserved for other network problems that may occur.

This isn't really related to NAT, but I posted this in a tech thread and so it might be good if I post here.

How to clear your XBOX360 cache

Basically, the cache is used to make loading times faster etc..

You should only preform this if you find your game data gets corrupt etc. Do this and then re download the game. (Or if it's a disc just delete cache and insert disc)

To perform the function, access 'memory' in the system blade, and then highlight the hard drive. Now press: Y, X, X, LB, RB, X, X. The following message should appear: "Do you want to perform maintenance on your Xbox 360 storage devices?"

Just thought this might be useful...

MRvister    1
wow how very helpful! thanks!

Thanks! yeah, wasn't sure if it was offtopic or tech. Eh it's moved now anyway

Haha, Kelly's and your posts inspired me to create this!

Also, i'm still trying to iron out all of the typos, so if you see anything that doesn't make sense or isn't right. tell me!

MRvister    1
thanks a lot! this helped me a lot! good job and the pics are helpful!

Wow, I thought I might not have explained it well enough. But thanks!

Guest dupont   
Guest dupont

After the title update I still couldn't connect to an online game. After forwarding the ports I can now play online! HOORAY!

thanks!

:D

Tyrannical    0

Open these ports.

* TCP 80

* UDP 88

* UDP 3074

* TCP 3074

* UDP 53

* TCP 53

Wait, TCP port 80? That can't be right even though the MS article sites that port too. That's standard web browsing port.

I could have sworn it's supposed to be TCP 88 / UDP 88, not TCP 80.

MRvister    1
Open these ports.

* TCP 80

* UDP 88

* UDP 3074

* TCP 3074

* UDP 53

* TCP 53

Wait, TCP port 80? That can't be right even though the MS article sites that port too. That's standard web browsing port.

80 is indeed for standard web browsing. But I guess the xbox doesn't have a browser.

Tyrannical    0
Open these ports.

* TCP 80

* UDP 88

* UDP 3074

* TCP 3074

* UDP 53

* TCP 53

88 is indeed for standard web browsing. But I guess the xbox doesn't have a browser.

No, 80 is the standard for web browsing. 88 is the standard for kereberos.

I really think the 80 is a typo and it should be port 88.

MRvister    1
Open these ports.

* TCP 80

* UDP 88

* UDP 3074

* TCP 3074

* UDP 53

* TCP 53

88 is indeed for standard web browsing. But I guess the xbox doesn't have a browser.

No, 80 is the standard for web browsing. 88 is the standard for kereberos.

I really think the 80 is a typo and it should be port 88.

Oops. Sorry you're definitely correct. 80 is for web browsing. :lol:

(I can't believe I thought it was 88, I always remembered blocking my little brother from the internet by blocking port 80)

Looks like I messed up. :D

Due to it being 80 on MS website.... I'm going to leave it for now... Actually no it should be 88. Edit time

Xemnas768    1

I have a question, you said that someone with an open NAT can connect to everybody, well my NAT is Moderate and my friend's NAT is Open. I tried connecting to him in games like halo and CC because it won't let me connect. Like on halo, it says his NAT is open so that means I SHOULD be able to connect to him. And yes my friend is the host.

MRvister    1
I have a question, you said that someone with an open NAT can connect to everybody, well my NAT is Moderate and my friend's NAT is Open. I tried connecting to him in games like halo and CC because it won't let me connect. Like on halo, it says his NAT is open so that means I SHOULD be able to connect to him. And yes my friend is the host.

It might not just be NAT that is affecting it, it could be the type of routers you are using or your ISP.

It might not just be NAT that is affecting it, it could be the type of routers you are using or your ISP.

Hm... never tried forwarding the ports. Might be worth a try. :D

lol4ever    0

i somehow cant open my NAT... :(

i understood that i just have to open those ports at the NAT configs.

but everytime i press on accept i have to enter the password for my router to log in.

after that the NAT is same as before.

I also dont know how to do the other things. what am i doing wrong? :?

t]

edit: i also cant find my router at that page u posted

HackFoil    0

i still cant do it, i ended up denting my xbox today because i got so frustrated that i cant joiny any games, it makes me want to sue my ISP and microsoft!

ive tried,

UpNp

Port Forewarding

And all the other crap

PLEASE HELP

Guest hydroxyde   
Guest hydroxyde

The TCP/80 that they have listed there is not a typo, the article just isn't explained very well.

The 360 requires outbound TCP/80 for doing various things on the marketplace. It requires outbound TCP/53 and UDP/53 for name resolution.

It requires both outbound and inbound TCP/3074, UDP/3074 and UDP/88 for full Xbox Live (Open NAT) functionality.

The majority of NAT devices will allow all outbound connections by default. This means that for most people there are only three port forwarding rules for you to add.

1: TCP/3074 -> Your Xbox IP.

2: UDP/3074 -> Your Xbox IP.

3: UDP/88 -> Your Xbox IP.

Darn...I got as far as the sign in thing for the router.

I can't figure out the Username/Password.

I've tried Admin and Admin...with capital A's and lower case a's.

Is there a way to reset it or find it? :(