Something I've been thinking would be great for Battleblock Theater would be community integration into the game. For instance, you could validate your ".net Passport" (gamertag) here on the Behemoth community, and reap rewards in the game the next time you turn it on.
I've been seeing a lot of threads about a level editor or map creator. If that happens, that'd be the perfect thing to use to drive community. Anyways, here's a list of my thoughts if it's not too late for team Behemoth to implement into the game. And if it's not too outlandish, or expensive.
- Map sharing: Your maps are stored and shared via your friends in game, as well as being able to access them on the Behemoth community to share, favorite, and spread via Facebook or other social media.
- Level creator: Aside from potentially having an in-game tool for building levels, you would also have access to a creator on the Behemoth community. Maps could be shared with others, and accessed in-game.
- Drawing Board: The basic idea would be a simple brush tool which you could draw your own textures for faces, blocks, and other in game elements. It would be moderated by the community, utilizing the fans as a way to keep the inevitable penis and boob textures from popping up. Draw your images, save, and access them in-game.
- Unlocking exclusives: If you register on the Behemoth community, authenticate your gamertag, exclusive characters, items, or maps unlock on your Xbox or in the game. It could even include special Avatar items, like an animal orb from Castle Crashers, or a floating golden whale.
- Never ending flow of official content: One of the biggest problems to get around with arcade titles is true DLC. Arcade games have to include or utilize only content existing in the game as DLC. You can't put up a DLC pack that is something like 100mbs to add content, unfortunately. Microsoft is making exceptions now-a-days for this, but it's a real possibility that Battleblock Theater will not be one of those exceptions... So, to give the game a prolonged life, Behemoth could include side challenges in the game that could constantly be updated. The rewards for achieving the challenge of the week (or whatever timeframe is set) could be in-game items, Behemoth community rewards (like a discount for the online store), or special themes/gamerpics/avatar items.
- In-game screen grabs/video recording: Community is a powerful tool for spreading the word about a game they love. Having a screen grab/video recording function in Battleblock Theater that allows you to post the photo to the community, Facebook, Youtube, etc would keep the active community drawing attention to others who haven't yet tried it. This opens the door not just for creativity, but also assets from the game that look far more produced. Fan made trailers, machinima, guides, and more would spread like wild fire.
These are just some of my thoughts on what might be an additional set of awesome features to an already amazing game. To be honest, it's far more work to do these types of things than it sounds. But, if there's time, budget, and if Behemoth thinks it's worth while to include, I'd be more excited than I can describe here.