Sign in to follow this  
Roy-G-Biv

(RUMOR) Xbox Live Platinum $100 yearly.

How would you even compare Xbox Live to THE MOON?

They both suck?

I mean, the fact that I have to pay for gold, and the moon itself.

If you've ever played IWBTG you'd know why the moon is a illegitimate child.

How would you even compare Xbox Live to THE MOON?

They both suck?

I mean, the fact that I have to pay for gold, and the moon itself.

If you've ever played IWBTG you'd know why the moon is a illegitimate child.

86.png

I meant the fact that THE MOON is free and awesome (unless its trying to kill you), while Xbox Live is not free and horrible.

I meant the fact that THE MOON is free and awesome (unless its trying to kill you), while Xbox Live is not free and horrible.

THE MOON?

FREE?

How does the moon go about being free?

I mean, you can look at it (for free of course), but being able to be on the moon, or HAVE THE MOON, it's a different story.

THE MOON?

FREE?

How does the moon go about being free?

I mean, you can look at it (for free of course), but being able to be on the moon, or HAVE THE MOON, it's a different story.

Well no one said anything about being on THE MOON. And THE MOON itself is free, but the trips to THE MOON are not, sadly.

SO THERE.

Why would a premium service such as Platinum be free?

Because it sucks.

Why does it suck?

Oh, right... we don't know. Because it a) Hasn't been made available, B) Hasn't been announced.

Platinum might be an absolute joke of a package... but at this point, it doesn't even exist. To say it sucks before anything is announced is a tad silly. What if it allows you to travel through time and fly in space and you get a free trip to THE MOON?

Are you saying you should be able to go to THE MOON for free, Fel? Is that what you think? Really? That we should all go to THE MOON for free? 'Cos if so, I'm down with that... I just don't think it's realistic.

Other internet services are free herp derp.

I live on THE MOON. Really? THE MOON for free? 'Cos if so, I live on THE MOON.

Why would you think that I was talking about Xbox Live when you're talking about why he would switch to PS3 where the service would be free?

Because this is a thread about Xbox Live Platinum. We do not know what Platinum will entail, but it is rumoured to be a premium service, like PSN+. Which isn't going to be free (it's not out yet, is it?).

Also, I'm not comparing the moon to XBL. If anyone thinks that, please go back and read what I said again. I was making a rather OTT point to illustrate the fact that we can't say that Platinum is good, bad, amazing or sucky... because we don't know what it will include.

It's a valid point.

Online play will always be free for ps3.

Nobody said it wouldn't be. I hope it remains free forever*.

PSN+ won't be free, however.

Anyway, we're getting increasingly off topic here. This is partly my fault, so apologies to all! Eeek. :oops:

What services could Platinum have - if any - that would potentially sway people? For me, it would probably have to give major discounts (or x amount of "free" downloads per year) on XBL titles and DLC. Even then, I'd definitely wait a while and see what became available before I subscribed.

* On a related note, it will be interesting to see whether Sony look at how much money Microsoft are making from Live and start charging for online play with their next console. Let's hope not, eh?

Why would you think that I was talking about Xbox Live when you're talking about why he would switch to PS3 where the service would be free?

Because this is a thread about Xbox Live Platinum. We do not know what Platinum will entail, but it is rumoured to be a premium service, like PSN+. Which isn't going to be free (it's not out yet, is it?).

Also, I'm not comparing the moon to XBL. If anyone thinks that, please go back and read what I said again. I was making a rather OTT point to illustrate the fact that we can't say that Platinum is good, bad, amazing or sucky... because we don't know what it will include.

It's a valid point.

PSN+ is actually already out.

Apparently the flaw with it is that you lose all content you got for free through it after your subscription runs out. You won't be able to use the content until you resubscribe.

I hope Platinum is good, but $100 a month sounds ridiculous.

It's a valid point.

You missed the part where he said he was going to switch to PS3, where the service is free, then you go on about how he could keep paying $25 or whatever and the new option wouldn't distract from his current option. That $25 price is being raised 10%. He wants to switch to a service thats free.

OH MY, I WENT AND DUN BE CORRECT AGAIN.

Online play will always be free for ps3.

Nobody said it wouldn't be. I hope it remains free forever*.

PSN+ won't be free, however.

Anyway, we're getting increasingly off topic here. This is partly my fault, so apologies to all! Eeek. :oops:

What services could Platinum have - if any - that would potentially sway people? For me, it would probably have to give major discounts (or x amount of "free" downloads per year) on XBL titles and DLC. Even then, I'd definitely wait a while and see what became available before I subscribed.

* On a related note, it will be interesting to see whether Sony look at how much money Microsoft are making from Live and start charging for online play with their next console. Let's hope not, eh?

Its already been said even when ps3 comes out with like paid version online play will always be free.

You missed the part where he said he was going to switch to PS3, where the service is free, then you go on about how he could keep paying $25 or whatever and the new option wouldn't distract from his current option. That $25 price is being raised 10%. He wants to switch to a service thats free.

You've completely missed the point, chum.

He said "If this happens, I'm switching to PS3" when talking about Platinum, an optional service that doesn't impact on his current subscription (as far as we know). He doesn't even mention the price increase for Gold.

Changing to PS3 because you don't want to pay for Gold membership makes perfect sense, I wouldn't dispute that. Changing to PS3 because a new Platinum subscription has become available, though not mandatory, does not.

1337m33p: I know they've said online play on PS3 will always be free. I'm just wondering if that will change with Playstation 4. Let's hope not.

EDIT: Eh, I'm not going to bother going through this anymore. My point is that it is crazy to move over to PS3 due to Platinum. That's all. Can we please move this back on topic now? This is getting horribly derailed.

So... does anyone have more thoughts on what features Platinum would need for them to consider subscribing to it?

You've completely missed the point, chum.

He said "If this happens, I'm switching to PS3" when talking about Platinum, an optional service that doesn't impact on his current subscription (as far as we know). He doesn't even mention the price increase for Gold.

Changing to PS3 because you don't want to pay for Gold membership makes perfect sense, I wouldn't dispute that. Changing to PS3 because a new Platinum subscription has become available, though not mandatory, does not.

I guess I may have said that wrong :oops:

What I meant was that the combination of the new gold price, which I thought was too expensive even BEFORE the price increase, and XBL Platinum; if it's the same as PSN+, then it's a rip-off and I might switch the PS3. $160 vs. $50 for about the same services would just be stupid.

But, all this is assuming that XBL Platinum exists and is like PSN+.

The article Basilisk linked may mean that it's a family plan of gold.