Sign in to follow this  
Scaler193

How hard is it to be a concept artist?

Yes some of you might think this is a strange question but it seems like something I could pull off. Im always making characters but they always turn kinnda tom fulpy. I was just wondering if this is a good job or not to have.

Concept art is something you draw before actually including it in a comic or other art piece. I don't believe it is a profession you can work in, although I could be wrong... Also

Im always making characters but they always turn kinnda tom fulpy

Quote of the century.

Concept art is something you draw before actually including it in a comic or other art piece. I don't believe it is a profession you can work in, although I could be wrong... Also
Im always making characters but they always turn kinnda tom fulpy

Quote of the century.

No im sure it can be a real job to be a concept artist. Not all componies have them but I think they had some for Left 4 dead.

I wouldnt take this as a main job as its not what im aiming for in life. But a friend is trying to make his own video games and was wondering if I could be his concept artist.

Sorry.

Scaler_is_true_evil_by_Scaler193.png

You won't be getting into much carrers as an artists with that.

Concept artists just make the concepts no?

Yeah, your point?

Type in star war concept art. Or Gears of war concept art. Or just concept art.

All of these artists have stunning artistic capabilities.

Yeah, your point?

Well he word concept is not limited to drawings in spanish, so i didn't know you had to draw something to make it a concept

Sorry.

/

The best thing you can do is know someone. Or get lucky.

You do realise that was made in paint.net. Im making my drawings hand held which not only makes it much easier but makes them nicer to. And I still have much work to learn. This really is a old drawing that dose not show how good my drawing skills are to this point. Right now im taking art classes to help a little and taking advice from a friend of mine who has super good drawing skills and is following his dads foot steps in programing and fixing computers.

Yeah, your point?

Well he word concept is not limited to drawings in spanish, so i didn't know you had to draw something to make it a concept

Ahh.

Well , I thought he wanted to be a concept artist as the title imples

(this comment was not meant to sound douchey, I just couldn't rephrase it well enough)

Sorry.

/

You do realise that was made in paint.net. Im making my drawings hand held which not only makes it much easier but makes them nicer to. And I still have much work to learn. This really is a old drawing that dose not show how good my drawing skills are to this point. Right now im taking art classes to help a little and taking advice from a friend of mine who has super good drawing skills and is following his dads foot steps in programing and fixing computers.

Then lets see you're "real" peices of art.

Yeah, your point?

Ahh.

Well , I thought he wanted to be a concept artist as the title imples

(this comment was not meant to sound douchey, I just couldn't rephrase it well enough)

Sorry.

/

Then lets see you're "real" peices of art.

I would gladley. Unforutly my scanner broke about last year. Didnt I already mention this? Well here is a final doodle I did from last year. http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs47/i/2009/236/7/6/Junk_food_class_by_Scaler193.jpg

I like it but its nothing to do of what I can do these days. Though we did get a new printer and I think it also has a scan option built into it. We will see soon mecha :ninja:

Uhh, no offense, but you defiantly need to hone your skills to become a concept artist. I know i can never be one, im terrible at drawing. :( I dont even know hoe people get so precise lines and curves on their drawings....

Well keep cracking at it i guess. My plan is to become a graphic designer and i can certainly say ive improved since i started using adobe software. Thats all it takes is practice and learning from mistakes im sure most people would agree.

[http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs47/i/2009/236/7/6/Junk_food_class_by_Scaler193.jpg

I like it but its nothing to do of what I can do these days. Though we did get a new printer and I think it also has a scan option built into it. We will see soon mecha :ninja:

I honestly don't see how much you can improve from that in a year.

I wouldnt be too skeptical. One time my drawings were awful, but then I descovered a completly new techique to drawing and I made much better art.

Scarler, how old are you? If your about.... say... 10,11, or even 12, your better at drawing than I was at your age.

[http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs47/i/2009/236/7/6/Junk_food_class_by_Scaler193.jpg

Ehhh, I'll be honest, I don't like it.

Also, a camera can subsitute for a make shift scanner, if done right.(See FELS early work)

Ehhh, I'll be honest, I don't like it.

Also, a camera can subsitute for a make shift scanner, if done right.(See FELS early work)

Meh I feel acomplished for one of my first drawings in years on paper. As my scanner broke you wont be seeing latest work. But lets get back on topic people.