Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Dmc (Reboot)

Supposedly this is supposed to feature a younger Dante.

I swear if they make this Dante a super srs Dante like in DMC2, I will kill.

That doesn't even look like Dante.

And why must we have a reboot? We only had 1 really bad DMC game.

I liked DMC the way it was.

Dante trash talking, comboing, insane combos.

God dang, Dante doesn't even have his rebellion.

Well if we want real Dante, we still have Marvel vs Capcom 3.

DISREGARD THE SPOILER ABOVE.

Apparently according to someone who works at Ninja Theory, a friend, has spoiled some plot details.

The kid you play as isn't Dante.

Just a kid with Mental Issues.

He wants to escape the asylum but can't, and he's as powerless as we are. And his Dreams and Reality mix.

SO YEAH.

Apparently according to someone who works at Ninja Theory, a friend, has spoiled some plot details.

He wants to escape the asylum but can't, and he's as powerless as we are. And his Dreams and Reality mix.

SO YEAH.

Ok, this make me feel better, I wonder what impact this will have on the story.

In a way I wish this info wasn't revealed to the public until people actually played the game. Then this would shut up all the ADHD gamers who cried FAILURE! after watching one trailer to see if it is worth their time.

SO YEAH.

Apparently what my friend told me was a Joke.

Disregard.

PLOX.

SO YEAH.

Apparently what my friend told me was a Joke.

Disregard.

PLOX.

I'll still never believe that guy is really Dante

NEVER

But Dante isn't some emo teen.

He's a white haired trash talking adult.

And thats the Dante we all know and cherish :lol:

Gameplay:

I don't see the need for all these excessive arial combos. I also don't understand why the character has white hair and a red coat at 0:35 in the video (DANTE, IS THAT YOU?!)

Honest to god I do not want to see how Vergil will be "re-innovated".
Or even the story.

If we even hear of Vergil I won't be best pleased...not that I am exactly pleased with the reboot so far

Also, in that video I recently posted I mentioned 0:35, the point at which we see Dante in his red coat and white hair. Apparently that's some gimmick similar to something in Bayonetta, where time is slowed down and you change form for a while. So I'm assuming its like Devil Trigger...only less fun sounding

Guess I'll have to wait until release to try it out, though

I'm going to assume Ninja Theory will pass off all 4 DMC games as "Dante"'s hallucination, and that this is the real DmC story or some stuff like that.

Necro-bump FOR GREAT JUSTICE!

A whopping 3 years after this post was created, I finally got around to playing DmC. So, what do I think? Well...my response to the initial trailer above was pretty negative. Thankfully, the game has changed a lot compared to the trailer discussed here previously. I have a lot to say on the game, so I'm going to bullet-point a lot of it to save time.

Alright, down to business. Before going into DmC specifically, I just want to say that the DMC franchise is one of my favourite hack and slash series of all time, with DMC3 being possibly one of my all-time favourite games. That game had everything; story, action, re-playability and tons of character. DMC4's Dante gameplay was easily the best of the series, though.

Based on this, here's my opinion on DmC, as a long-time DMC player (SPOILERS!):

Positive points:

> The combat is brilliant. The game is fast, fluid and responsive.

> Switching up combos is encouraged far more in this game than in previous instalments.

> The controls are uber-tight. You always feel totally in control of your actions, complimenting the fast, fluid combat

> The 3D platforming sections are awesome. Possibly some of the best I've played in a hack and slash title like this.

> The level design is great. There are lots of secrets and collectibles to find in almost every level.

Negative Points:

> Dante is an unlikable douchebag. He's as arrogant as the old Dante, but far too harsh as a character we're supposed to enjoy playing as. The cutscene before the Succubus boss battle is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

> Speaking of the Succubus cutscene, it also serves as an example of some of the game's awful dialogue. There are far too many points at which characters spew profanities for no real reason. 

> Although infrequent, the sections in the human world where you needlessly follow Kat around for 10 minutes break up the game's action far too much.

> Kat is pretty lame; she's needy and hangs around far too much during the first half of the game.

> Characters switch attitudes and personalities far too often; it's like everyone is bipolar...Vergil is a great example of this. At first he's a coward, then a good team-player, then a back-stabber, then a 'bro'...and then the ending happens.

> Controlling the camera feels like a constant battle. It always wants to point upward; like the devs wanted our focus to be on the crazy-looking skyboxes they've obviously spent a lot of time working on.

> Tearing out DMC's 'style' button (a series staple for Dante since DMC3) in favour of a 'launch attack' button seems like a silly idea to me. Why not have the launch attack as part of some new style? It could have replaced RoyalGuard or something. DMC4 perfected that system, only for Ninja Theory to throw it out of the window.

> Battles can sometimes feel unfair when getting hit by off-screen enemies. This was less of a problem in DMC1/2/3/4, given the game's fixed camera positions during larger battles, giving the player a broader perspective of what's going on.

> Speaking of not having enough perspective during battles, not having a lock-on feature is the most frustrating thing in a hack and slash game...ever.

> Being forced to use specific weapons against specific enemies is too restricting, in my opinion.

> Enemy types are lacking in differentiation. There're only a handful of types, and only a handful of different designs for these as you progress through the game.

> The final boss fights are extremely unsatisfying...though this may be down to the exceedingly easy difficulty of the game on lower settings (I'm counting 'Normal' difficulty as a lower setting for this one. Man, it's so easy).

Ehhhh. It might seem like I have a lot more negative things to say about DmC than positive things, but the truth is that the majority of these negatives are pretty minor, and don't negatively impact the game enough for me to call it a bad game. Despite Ninja Theory throwing out a lot of Capcom's previous work on the series (in favour of a more juggle-based combat system), I have to say that I enjoyed DmC a fair amount. The ending left me disappointed, but I can see myself re-playing the game several times over at least. If I had to rate this game, I'd give it  7 out of 10. It's a solid outing, and Ninja Theory's best work to date.  :-)

• Upvote 1

I basically want DMC3 Dante and DMC3 story, with this gameplay.

That would be the best hack n' slash to exist.

• Upvote 1

I think the game is amazing and it deserves the sequel it would never get

The only bad thing about DmC is the title, DmC: Devil May Cry, what the hell that makes no sense and the awful writing....

it deserves the sequel it would never get

I agree with you on that. The only reason we'll never see a sequel is because it's tied to the DMC franchise. In a lot of cases, reboots tend to be carried by the original title the game is rebooting. DmC is actually the opposite of this, where I think slapping on the DMC title may have hindered the game's success somewhat. DmC easily has enough potential to deviate away from the DMC characters and (loose) origin story it presented and become 'it's own game'.

Buuut, if the game was never given the DMC title, Capcom wouldn't have been overseeing the project and the final product would definitely have suffered for it. 

Also, SHORYUKEN!

The Eryx Gauntlets (*cough*Beowolfreplacement*cough*) were easily my favourite weapon during my first playthrough!

EDIT

I totally agree with you, too, Turkey. We need a game combining the best elements of DmC with the best elements of DMC. THAT would make for one hell of a game

Aaand I forgot to mention the new Devil Trigger in my reply earlier. It sucks. Badly. Whereas in previous titles, activating Devil Trigger would literally turn you into a god-damned demon of destruction...in DmC it just throws  enemies into the air, temporarily stunning them until it runs out. I miss DMC2's Devil Trigger so much:

DT_DMC2.png

Every DMC after 3 has a Beowulf counterpart due to how popular the weapon was.

Like Gilgamesh in DMC4.

Also, I personally loved Lucifer in DMC4, and the Kablooey is the closest thing I'll ever have to getting another Lucifer again.

;~;

• Upvote 1

Every DMC after 3 has a Beowulf counterpart due to how popular the weapon was.

Like Gilgamesh in DMC4.

Also, I personally loved Lucifer in DMC4, and the Kablooey is the closest thing I'll ever have to getting another Lucifer again.

Beowulf was pretty similar to DMC1's Ifrit, too. Only more improved.

Lucifer was pretty fun. It was no Nevan, though. We'll probably never see anything like her again, either  :-( 

Going back to DmC, Son of Sparda difficulty really highlights some of the issues with the free-roam camera and the  lack of a lock-on mechanic. In larger fights where some enemies deal much more damage than others, not being able to target specific enemies is a huge pain in the backside. It usually ends up with me double jumping into the air and pulling each enemy towards me until the game realises which one I was originally trying to target. It baffles me that Ninja Theory would purposefully not include a lock-on mechanic, given DmC's free-roam camera. If the camera were fixed perspective, the problem would be less obvious.

Also DmC Son of Sparda difficulty = DMC3 Normal difficulty. It's such an easy game in comparison to previous entries in the series.

Also also, 'Vergil's Downfall' DLC wrecks Vergil's character even more than DmC's storyline. It's painful to watch.