Sign in to follow this  
SushiGummy

Overrated/Underrated Games

We've had bunches and bunches of discussions about games being overrated, but there's never actually been a thread for it (as far as I can see).

I think the most overrated games are any Halo, Call of Duty, Gears of War, or HOORAY I'M PLAYING AN INSTRUMENT game ever made.

For underrated, the Double Fine, Goemon, and Touch Detective games.

Gears Of War (atleast the first one, never played te others) is overrated, Naughty Bear is (kinda) Underrated. But It does have WAY too many flaws.

I thought this was more to discuss the why some games are overrated and why others are underrated.

Well, yeah, it's overrated/underrated discussion.

I'll start it if you'd like. Last year, my classmates would not stop talking about Modern Warfare 2. When I asked them if they've ever played Team Fortress 2, they immediately shot it down because it's a hard game to play. Of course, from what I've heard, Modern Warfare 2 has so many cheap classes and weapons it makes the Demoman look like an Engie without a sentry. My theory (which could very well be wrong, seeing as I don't know too much about the game) is that all those people who don't have enough skill to play a game like Team Fortress 2 move on to play games like Modern Warfare 2 where there are plenty of cheap advantages to choose from. They pretty much want a handicap to play since their skill in gaming isn't nearly good enough.

Agree? Disagree? Anyone who has more knowledge on the game?

I thought this was more to discuss the why some games are overrated and why others are underrated.

Well, yeah, it's overrated/underrated discussion.

I'll start it if you'd like. Last year, my classmates would not stop talking about Modern Warfare 2. When I asked them if they've ever played Team Fortress 2, they immediately shot it down because it's a hard game to play. Of course, from what I've heard, Modern Warfare 2 has so many cheap classes and weapons it makes the Demoman look like an Engie without a sentry. My theory (which could very well be wrong, seeing as I don't know too much about the game) is that all those people who don't have enough skill to play a game like Team Fortress 2 move on to play games like Modern Warfare 2 where there are plenty of cheap advantages to choose from. They pretty much want a handicap to play since their skill in gaming isn't nearly good enough.

EDIT: Forgot to say that people like to remember WW2 as the big success of the us army and they like to bath in its glory with movies, plays, music and of course games.

Agree? Disagree? Anyone who has more knowledge on the game?

I have never played TF2, but i have played WW2 (a little bit).

From what i remember the game had little, and i mean little difficulty when talking about weapons, the guns had almost no kick or sway which made them in little lazer beams instead of guns.

But almost every shooter works that way, if guns were like RL it wouldn't be fun.

As for shooters being overrated, i think it's part of the humans necessity for violence, kids grow up watching movies about killing and kicking axe, and they think that's 1337 so they want to kill virtual avatars.

---------------------

This is just a thought but if we look at the social differences between japan and the us, we can see how the us has a more violent centered society, thus a violent society, the us has been in the WWs and those people that came back where violent people, if we take the evolution concept we can think only the fittest to kill survived, meaning they were more suited to war than the ones that didn't survive, those guys had kids, those kids have the same aggressive genes and we can see a connection on why shooters are popular, whereas in japan RPGs are way more popular.

Those videos of m33p and sushi, it really depends on what you call skill

But the editing of the MW2 player was amazing

I can tell alread this topic is going to have the same poop on every page.

Well i tried to make it an analogy of the gaming industry and failed.

I personally think that overrated is a weird term. Really, it is pretty much like "I don't like this game. Other people like it. I disagree with them, they shouldn't like it, *enter arguement here*." People use it that concept too much I believe. I don't really see what is wrong if somebody likes something you don't like. Now, when looked at as in it is so big that it is really stopping some of these other games (That can be better) to lift off, or most people agree that it is not that great, then I am fine with it. Still, I don't have full grasp on the word and its meaning, so really right now I am confusing myself. :P

Well I know a few underrated games.

Alien Hominid: We all know this game is underrated. It should be much more known.

Scaler: A very handsom game. The only bad part of it is the plot. Just skip the cutscenes.

Any board game that isnt Sorry, Monopoly or trouble.

I personally think that overrated is a weird term. Really, it is pretty much like "I don't like this game. Other people like it. I disagree with them, they shouldn't like it, *enter arguement here*." People use it that concept too much I believe. I don't really see what is wrong if somebody likes something you don't like. Now, when looked at as in it is so big that it is really stopping some of these other games (That can be better) to lift off, or most people agree that it is not that great, then I am fine with it. Still, I don't have full grasp on the word and its meaning, so really right now I am confusing myself. :P

Actually, you can still like a game and think it's overrated. I think Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is overrated. When a game is overrated it generally means that it gets way more positive attention than it deserves, compared to other games.

I pretty much agree with what you choose. I do like FPSs, but they're are just so many bad FPSs now, it's hard to find something enjoyable. I thought the Bioshock games were good, because they were different and challenging, and I enjoy pretty much every Valve game. I would say some underrated games are the original Crash Bandicoot games. It seems the people judge the Crash games by the terrible new games that come out, but they forget about the great original ones. Crash, Crash 2, and Crash 3 are some of my favorite platformers ever, and Crash Team Racing is probably my favorite cart racing game ever. I could go on to discuss, but I'll just stop here.

Actually, you can still like a game and think it's overrated. I think Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is overrated. When a game is overrated it generally means that it gets way more positive attention than it deserves, compared to other games.

Oh, never thought of that. Thanks! Thinking it about that, I guess I have some things I think are overrated too, then. (Halo quickly comes to mind. :P ) I have just seen most people use it to insulting way, so I always thought of it as in somebody doesn't like something that the other person did.

Final Fantasy VII was good, but overrated.

It cast a cloud (no pun intended) around the rest of the series.

I'd also say Final Fantasy IX is underrated, mostly because no one ever really played it. If I remember right, it came out in the US after the PS2 came out, so everyone was after PS2 games by then.

Underrated: Both Pikmin games. Luigi's Mansion. All Paper Mario games. (Seriously, i've never seen hardly anyone play these games and love them as much as i do)

There's probably more i could think of, but not right now :ugeek:

Overrated: CoD, Halo, GTA IV, Guitar Hero.

Again, i could probably think of more.

Underrated: Both Pikmin games. Luigi's Mansion. All Paper Mario games. (Seriously, i've never seen hardly anyone play these games and love them as much as i do)

Paper Mario is Not underrated, it is a very respected series.

I agree about Luigi's Mansion though, GREAT GAME!

lost planet 2 and megaman 10

overrated games: MW2, wii games and mario games :|

"Wii games" is too general to say that they're overrated.

Mario games DESERVE to be highly rated (unless they're the crappy sports or party games)

I dunno about Paper Mario being underrated, but I agree with Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion. I LOVE those games! :arrow:

Actually, as the hugest Paper Mario fan in the universe, I'd have to agree that Paper Mario is somewhat underrated. Not by the fans, though. By Nintendo. The first two games were absolutely loved and well-known. Nintendo, for some reason, thought the series wasn't all that important or loved. That's one of the reasons they decided to switch everything around for Super Paper Mario. Of course, the sales for Super Paper Mario, along with the ratings, turned out to be significantly lower than those of the first two Paper Mario games. That's why they're bringing back the battle system for the upcoming 3DS Paper Mario game.

Nintendo still underestimates just how famous Paper Mario is, though. Why wasn't Paper Mario a character for Brawl? If you check the predictions online, almost everybody wanted him, even more than that bad excuse for a character we like to call Sonic. Also, look at E3, Paper Mario 3DS wasn't even mentioned in the entire conference, yet according to the polls on Nintendo Power, Paper Mario 3DS has been the most anticipated 3DS game since it was announced.

So, yes, Paper Mario is underrated, but only by Nintendo.