1337m33p

Elder scrolls V: Skyrim

And suddenly my faith has been restored!

It looks very streamlined, but in a good way.

...what?

Just because they didn't show the UI doesn't mean its streamlined...

I didn't say anything about the UI, I'm talking about Combat.

In an earlier post I expressed my irritation that they removed even more skills, which in my mind meant less depth. After seeing in game combat I realize they streamlined it for a reason.

In the few non cutscene combat scenes I notice

-Dual wielding Magic Staffs and Swords (as opposed to having to switch between them)

-Special kill moves (as opposed to enemies just ragdolling)

-A better 3rd Person view complete with better combat animations

-More visceral Bows

-Bioshocky looking hand effects for magic

I was worried the game would have less depth.

After seeing the trailer I realize they're streamlining the RPG elements so that they can offer a better all around experience from combat to animation.

Yes I'm making assumptions here, but the game looks pretty and I'm actually interested in it after this trailer.

I don't expect it to be as RPG-y as morrowind, but it looks like that won't be a problem.

And suddenly my faith has been restored!

It looks very streamlined, but in a good way.

...what?

Just because they didn't show the UI doesn't mean its streamlined...

I didn't say anything about the UI, I'm talking about Combat.

In an earlier post I expressed my irritation that they removed even more skills, which in my mind meant less depth. After seeing in game combat I realize they streamlined it for a reason.

In the few non cutscene combat scenes I notice

-Dual wielding Magic Staffs and Swords (as opposed to having to switch between them)

-Special kill moves (as opposed to enemies just ragdolling)

-A better 3rd Person view complete with better combat animations

-More visceral Bows

-Bioshocky looking hand effects for magic

I was worried the game would have less depth.

After seeing the trailer I realize they're streamlining the RPG elements so that they can offer a better all around experience from combat to animation.

Yes I'm making assumptions here, but the game looks pretty and I'm actually interested in it after this trailer.

I don't expect it to be as RPG-y as morrowind, but it looks like that won't be a problem.

That's the "making everything easier to use" streamlining, not the "simplification" streamlining (which you made it sound like you were referring to).

I don't think that any of the RPG elements will really be removed, but maybe made more subtle and easier to use.

Is anyone else secretly hoping for co-op?

I don't see why we'd be secretly hoping for it.

If they do do co-op, I wonder how quests would work. Would the guest player get credit for any quests completed? Or only if they're currently on that quest themselves?

Is anyone else secretly hoping for co-op?
I don't see why we'd be secretly hoping for it.

If they do do co-op, I wonder how quests would work. Would the guest player get credit for any quests completed? Or only if they're currently on that quest themselves?

I suppose it might work in a similar style to Borderlands. If the guest player is eligable for the host's chosen quest (e.g. they're far enough in the main quest to activate it) then they can play through and eventually complete the quest at the same time. However if the guest player is ineligable, then they can still play through the quest, but recieve no overall reward at the end, besides any exp and loot they picked up along the way

Although I think thats a stupid system, to be honest...especially when you start playing with people who own the DLC at their place and you have a bunch of un-finished quests in your journal that you can't complete. There could be a mode unlocked after completing the main storyline, that allows people to pair/party up and take quests together, I suppose. Although I think that would take away any chance of a drop-in/drop-out multiplayer co-op system

Although to be honest, I'm happy enough even if they don't add multiplayer. If they do, its just an added bonus :)

Although I think thats a stupid system, to be honest...especially when you start playing with people who own the DLC at their place and you have a bunch of un-finished quests in your journal that you can't complete. There could be a mode unlocked after completing the main storyline, that allows people to pair/party up and take quests together, I suppose. Although I think that would take away any chance of a drop-in/drop-out multiplayer co-op system

I guess the easiest thing to do would be to disable the main story while in co-op mode, and maybe have a few quests that are co-op only. Otherwise the guest player could accept/complete any quest they're eligible for.

Just preordered today. I've been playing Oblivion just to hype myself up. Also, has anyone here typed "Skyrim" into Minecraft as the seed? You get a completely tundra world. Anyways, I hope there are tons of expansive areas, my favorite part of Oblivion was just exploring the wilderness, finding dungeons, and just fighting every enemy I encountered (dying many, many times in the process).

Guest shhhua

I never played any of the previous games, but reading articles and seeing videos on this one have convinced me to try it out. Looks awesome!

OMG!!! Pre-ordered and so excited 16 miles of world,and i think it is a new engine, i thought i heard a producer of bethesda say it in his E3 demo video, very cool btw, like 15 mins of gameplay, thats where i lost my pants! :), also a quakecon vid, about 30 mins i might edit a url, but you can just look up, Skyrim gameplay in youtube :D

okay i played the game for roughly 2 hours now and i have come to the conclusion that it is one of the most boring games i have ever played (and don't answer with "it'll get good later, the beginning is a bit boring" cause a game is supposed to be fun, not boring and then eventually fun)

anyways, i just arrived at whiterun and talked to the king there or whatever that guy is supposed to be. I also, upon entering the first village i saw, killed everyone there aside from the trader, did that stupid quest for him (he sent his wife along with me, she wanted to go back when we reached the bridge so i killed her). Upon returning that golden claw, i stole it again and killed the trader, then i raided the entire village for everything that was worth something and went to whiterun

the killing part was fun but apparently there are some npc's that don't die, no matter how much you hurt them.

i dunno, i always considered those "huge epic quest (but you always have to do certain things!)" games to be boring. I want to have fun while playing, those kind of games are basically like a second life though, where instead of going to work, you walk around in a world doing other people's work. And those people aren't even real.

I've always had a problem with those "free world, you can do whatever you want!" kind of games because they always seem to tell you what to do anyways. And if you don't to it, the game just thinks "well whatever, move on, I will make you do this later on anyways".

okay i played the game for roughly 2 hours now and i have come to the conclusion that it is one of the most boring games i have ever played (and don't answer with "it'll get good later, the beginning is a bit boring" cause a game is supposed to be fun, not boring and then eventually fun)

anyways, i just arrived at whiterun and talked to the king there or whatever that guy is supposed to be. I also, upon entering the first village i saw, killed everyone there aside from the trader, did that stupid quest for him (he sent his wife along with me, she wanted to go back when we reached the bridge so i killed her). Upon returning that golden claw, i stole it again and killed the trader, then i raided the entire village for everything that was worth something and went to whiterun

the killing part was fun but apparently there are some npc's that don't die, no matter how much you hurt them.

i dunno, i always considered those "huge epic quest (but you always have to do certain things!)" games to be boring. I want to have fun while playing, those kind of games are basically like a second life though, where instead of going to work, you walk around in a world doing other people's work. And those people aren't even real.

I've always had a problem with those "free world, you can do whatever you want!" kind of games because they always seem to tell you what to do anyways. And if you don't to it, the game just thinks "well whatever, move on, I will make you do this later on anyways".

Lol glad to know that if a game isn't mindlessly killing everything in sight it is automatically boring. Jk :P

I entertain myself by lighting animals on fire with fire balls ^^

Edit: Quote broke >:x... twice

Lol glad to know that if a game isn't mindlessly killing everything in sight it is automatically boring. Jk :P

I entertain myself by lighting animals on fire with fire balls ^^

Edit: Quote broke >:x... twice

If the game was just mindlessly killing everything in sight I wouldnt have picked it up. That was the only real fun I had in the game. I liked the random dragons but everything else didn't go well with me. I have the same problem with all open world games like this.

I play this game mainly for the combat. As a devout archer, nothing compares to sneaking around an enemy campsite to find the best vantage point, then sneak-killing each one before any of them know I'm there, and I don't think I could get that same experience from any other game to be honest. And I know that this may seem repetitive, but when you know you can take out a Frost Dragon using only your bow without breaking a sweat, you know its worth it (and time to ramp up the difficulty level). The perk system also makes exploration pretty worthwhile, as well

Just exploring the open world can take up hours too. You could look around for a while and come across at least 5 dungeons to explore in the space of half an hour (that is, if you don't go in and explore them, which is where the real fun lies)

In my opinion, using Magic has been improved a lot compared to Oblivion! :)

Ohyeah, I'll say. I haven't had the privilege to play Skyrim yet, but after watching my father play it as much as he has, it seems pretty neat. Having control of a different spell in each hand, or combining both hands for a more powerful one is neat. Bethesda has really streamlined things this time around.

However, there's a few things I don't care much for. I'll rattle them off real quick.

-regenerating health

-follower AI in relation to traps

-somewhat restrictive weapon choices

-elimination of hand-to-hand leveling

-armors are now full sets instead of individual pieces

-follower AI in relation to traps

oh god. this. this times a million.

I had to autosave before every single trap on one of the side quests because the follower kept getting himself killed on the 'step on the pressure plate; get smoked by a door' trap.

I play this game mainly for the combat. As a devout archer, nothing compares to sneaking around an enemy campsite to find the best vantage point, then sneak-killing each one before any of them know I'm there, and I don't think I could get that same experience from any other game to be honest. And I know that this may seem repetitive, but when you know you can take out a Frost Dragon using only your bow without breaking a sweat, you know its worth it (and time to ramp up the difficulty level). The perk system also makes exploration pretty worthwhile, as well

Just exploring the open world can take up hours too. You could look around for a while and come across at least 5 dungeons to explore in the space of half an hour (that is, if you don't go in and explore them, which is where the real fun lies)

I just love how you can play any way you want. For example, you enjoy the stealth but someone else might like to charge in dual-wielding battle axes!!

I used to play skyrim like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

My cousin is at home playing Skyrim, and what do I get? Guard duty.

I dont own Skyrim, but I have played it at my friends house and got to level 10

Actually at two friends...

Here is my experience, the first time I ever played it, if my friend wasn't there, I would have been lost. It is really confusing and boring in the beginning especially if you do not know what you are doing.

The second time I played it, at my other friends house, it was amazing and it finally hit me, I need Skyrim.

I knew where to go, killed the first dragon, got spells, it was super addicting

And I know a guy at the top said he thought it was boring and said he did not want to hear that it gets better later, but it does :lol:

Great game, dont have, but need it along with BBT :!::arrow:

Something about Skyrim isn't clicking with me. I mean, all of the mechanics have been improved from Oblivion, but it's just.. lacking something Oblivion had. Maybe it's the atmosphere. Skyrim gives off a weird vibe to me. Maybe it's too...winter-y. I liked Cyrodill in Oblivion because of how varied the land was. And for me the soundtrack on Oblivion was MUCH more memorable.

I'm sure most people wouldn't agree with me, but I'd much rather listen to that, than this.

And also, all the storylines (main, guilds, etc) were a lot more engaging, and longer on Oblivion. Everything seems so short to me on Skyrim. And then there will be a lot of names that pop up during the storyline that are supposed to be super important but I don't even recognize the name.

It's probably just the fact that I have so many more memories with Oblivion. It's aged really well though all these years, and I'm still looking forward to playing it for years to come.

tl;dr Both are amazing games, but i still think Oblivion is better

Something about Skyrim isn't clicking with me. I mean, all of the mechanics have been improved from Oblivion, but it's just.. lacking something Oblivion had. Maybe it's the atmosphere. Skyrim gives off a weird vibe to me. Maybe it's too...winter-y. I liked Cyrodill in Oblivion because of how varied the land was. And for me the soundtrack on Oblivion was MUCH more memorable.

I'm sure most people wouldn't agree with me, but I'd much rather listen to that, than this.

And also, all the storylines (main, guilds, etc) were a lot more engaging, and longer on Oblivion. Everything seems so short to me on Skyrim. And then there will be a lot of names that pop up during the storyline that are supposed to be super important but I don't even recognize the name.

It's probably just the fact that I have so many more memories with Oblivion. It's aged really well though all these years, and I'm still looking forward to playing it for years to come.

tl;dr Both are amazing games, but i still think Oblivion is better

*Cyrodil*

*Varied Landscapes*