FE only has 5 reps. Marth, Ike, Robin, Lucina and now Roy. And we shouldn't forget, Mario (technically) has 2 clones in Smash 4, being Dr. Mario and Luigi. Mario has more reps than any other series in Smash, so if you want to complain about numbers go complain about Mario characters.

Also, Kamui's game isn't even out yet. He would play too closely to Robin. Sorry.

Holy mother of Sakurai you have gotta be kidding me

First of all, Mario has exactly one clone in Smash 4, and as a matter of fact you main him. Luigi is as much of a Mario clone as Wario is; every single one of Luigi's attacks are different from Mario's. He is not even remotely close to being a Mario clone.

Second, it is anything but illogical that Mario would have the most reps in Smash considering Mario is the most iconic Nintendo franchise and Smash is a celebration of Nintendo's most iconic characters. I would be astounded if any series in Smash had an equal or greater amount of reps as Mario.

Third, what does Fire Emblem If not being out yet have anything to do with Kamui's chances of being in Smash? Roy hadn't appeared in a Nintendo game when he was put in Melee, and Pokemon X/Y hadn't been announced yet when Greninja was added to the roster. Fire Emblem If's release is right around the corner anyways.

And lastly, who are you to say Kamui's viability as a Smash character is tarnished in any way due to "playing too closely to Robin" when you yourself are celebrating the return of a Marth clone AND you also main a Mario clone? You are not only wrong in assuming that they would be similar characters, but you are being hypocritical in saying you don't want him for being "too similar" to another character. For your information, Robin is a Tactician. He wields tomes and swords. Kamui is a Dark Prince. He wields the Yatogami (a dark sword) and dragonstones which transform him into a dragon. While they are both the avatars of their respective games, they are completely different characters who use completely different sets of weapons, and therefore they would most certainly not be clones in Smash.

I don't mean to be rude with this post, and I'm happy you're getting your favorite character from Melee back. I really have nothing against Roy being put in Smash 4 other than my concern that this will cause problems for potential future FE characters who, in my opinion, would be more enjoyable than a second clone of Marth. I will absolutely be buying Roy when he comes out and I'll be happy to try him out, but if his inclusion jeopardizes a more unique and interesting FE character's chances of appearing on the roster because of FE having such a huge amount of reps then you have to understand why I'd be less than ecstatic with him.

• Upvote 1

The thing is I want someone more unique. I don't care if attacks have different properties or have like 0.5 second frame difference. I'd prefer characters to be doing something pretty damn new. I want more Mewtwos, less Marth 2.0's.

• Upvote 3

I think I speak for everyone that's disappointed by Roy's inclusion when I say that the reason it bothers us is because that development time could've been used to create a brand new character. Now I don't know what the specifics are in terms of how long it takes to port a character from melee into smash 4, but they took their sweet time to get Mewtwo in there. But hey on the bright side at least he brought Ryu with him, that's something I'm hyped about

• Upvote 1

Boo hoo, I'm daikon. I hate Roy. Morg is retarded for bringing Roy back.

Maybe think about Melee fans who actually wanted Roy back, and sure he isn't a "new" character by your terms but at least it's a new addition to Smash 4's roster. A hell of a better pick than Pichu, at the very least.

Secondly Grant, I respect your opinion but FE having more reps in number than Zelda or even Mario is a little much, don't you think?

And hating a character for booting off another potential one is flawed logic. You can't hate someone because they took the last scoop of chocolate ice cream or something.

I'll agree that any rehash is better than Pichu. However, most "hardcore" melee fans don't even play Smash 4 to begin with, so catering to them by putting in the worse version of Marth doesn't make sense to me.

From a Fire Emblem standpoint, it makes even less sense considering Roy is the least liked and weakest lord in the series and heils from the least liked game in the series. His only possible reason for being brought back is to cater to Melee fans. Had Roy never been included in Melee, not a single person would be asking for him. Also, why didn't they use his shway as hell Awakening design?

EDIT:

Roy has... some differences. It's better than nothing.

Looks like Ryu has two Final Smashes. That's interesting. Other than that he seems to play exactly how I imagined he would.

EDIT 2: This site's quoting system is really buggy. Adding that second edit really screwed this whole post up.

Edited by Revon
  • Upvote 3

I, personally, am of the type who hates cuts, and I am perfectly fine with the prospect of getting Roy back, so long as this also means that we can expect Pichu and Wolf (AND SNAKE DAMMIT) as well. There's honestly nothing wrong with clones as DLC so long as they are not Dark Pit style clones. We know Roy's a Marth clone, yes, but he isn't as much of a clone as Lucina.

Now, having said all that, I am pretty pissed at Sakurai's backtracking regarding why Chrom isn't in. This is straight up ridiculous. I want my Chrom, and you know what, it wouldn't be that hard to make a unique moveset for him either. He doesn't even have to be a clone. Lucina, I get that, Roy, it's been established so whatever, but Chrom? They could do anything they wanted with him. Hell, if they really wanted to, they could give us a 2nd Seal version of him that knows how to utilize lances as well as swords, would open up a whole new array of opportunities for his moveset. Back to Roy though, dear God Sakurai, it couldn't have been THAT hard to have given him a different Final Smash. For someone who apparently loves Fire Emblem, he seems to have a very minuscule amount of knowledge as to what characters actually can do in that game. 

I think it makes perfect sense for Roy to come back, clone and all, because as I said, cuts suck even if they are clones. However, the argument should not be made for these clone characters OVER other characters, luckily the nature of clones means that they are inherently quicker to create and put on the market than an original character, so this entire argument is basically moot, because both sides are wrong.

FE only has 5 reps

lol

The defense rests

• Upvote 1

Boo hoo, I'm daikon. I hate Roy. Morg is retarded for bringing Roy back.

Maybe think about Melee fans who actually wanted Roy back, and sure he isn't a "new" character by your terms but at least it's a new addition to Smash 4's roster. A hell of a better pick than Pichu, at the very least.

Secondly Grant, I respect your opinion but FE having more reps in number than Zelda or even Mario is a little much, don't you think?

And hating a character for booting off another potential one is flawed logic. You can't hate someone because they took the last scoop of chocolate ice cream or something.

Um, okay. Boo hoo, I'm Morg. I hate Louie. Daikon is retarded for wanting Louie in Smash.

I didn't even call you stupid in the last post because you wanted Roy back, I called you stupid because Luigi isn't a Mario clone.

Also, those last two sentences. Not wanting a character because it takes the FINAL FE spot when another character that you want could makes perfect sense. You said it yourself, having more FE reps than Zelda would be dumb, so they can't really put any more in.

Your not wrong for wanting Roy, but did you really want him more than you wanted a unique FE character? Or did you not want Roy to at least have a new moveset?

Edited by daikonboy101

No, Roy's been altered to separate himself from Marth, at least when shown from the livestream yesterday. At this point, quoting Zane, Lucina is more of a clone than Roy is now.

And I was referring to Smash 64 / Melee, Luigi was definitely a clone, or at least in a sense.

Edited by Morg

I like Ryu.

I like Roy.

I look forward to this DLC. :-)

In all seriousness though, I don't understand the hate this announcement is getting across the internet. In any fighting game, character choice is a big part of the game, and more character choice (including clones) is always better. Even though there are characters probably more deserving of the spot, we shouldn't be complaining about getting more quality content as DLC. Ever.

People are complaining about a development team wanting to expand their (already amazing) game. In an industry where more and more companies are getting away with ugly, money-grabbing DLC business practises, we should support Nintendo's decision on this. They've already proven they know how to both create and market their extra content at high quality and fair cost, which is a lot more than can be said about a lot of other gaming companies these days.

Its not even as though Roy is the only new addition, either. Ryu is a completely new character, and a great choice in my opinion. He should be a big deal. Ryu represents one of (if not) the biggest fighting game franchises ever, and yet his announcement is being a little overshadowed by all the hate going around...and that's kinda' disappointing.

Edited by Chris
  • Upvote 4

No, Roy's been altered to separate himself from Marth, at least when shown from the livestream yesterday. At this point, quoting Zane, Lucina is more of a clone than Roy is now.

just because one character is more of a clone doesn't negate the fact that Roy is a clone.

And I was referring to Smash 64 / Melee, Luigi was definitely a clone, or at least in a sense.

FE only has 5 reps. Marth, Ike, Robin, Lucina and now Roy. And we shouldn't forget, Mario (technically) has 2 clones in Smash 4, being Dr. Mario and Luigi . Mario has more reps than any other series in Smash, so if you want to complain about numbers go complain about Mario characters.

Uhh, nah.

EDIT: I actually hadn't seen the footage. So, he's kind of like a mixture of Marth and Ike. Seems kinda like a 90-10 split, like Doctor Mario.

Edited by daikonboy101

Roy plays perfectly imo. He fits my kind of fighting style in Smash, being up close and dealing quick, powerful blows.

Considering there hasn't been a main series Virtua Fighter game since 2010, I'm surprised we've gotten Mii costumes from the franchise. Akira & Jacky get around. They've made more cameo appearances in other games over the past few years than they have in actual Virtua Fighter titles.

EDIT

Not that I'm complaining^. Jacky kicks butt in Dead or Alive 5...Akira, not so much.

Edited by Chris
  • Upvote 1

I went to a friends house to try out ryu and his SF inputs are slightly more difficult because of the gamecube controller having divets in the sticks, but the gamepad worked like a charm. 

Considering there hasn't been a main series Virtua Fighter game since 2010, I'm surprised we've gotten Mii costumes from the franchise. Akira & Jacky get around. They've made more cameo appearances in other games over the past few years than they have in actual Virtua Fighter titles.

EDIT

Not that I'm complaining^. Jacky kicks butt in Dead or Alive 5...Akira, not so much.

D'you grow up with Fighters Megamix for SEGA Saturn? That game was my childhood. I was never huge on Virtua Fighter, but the three VF games, plus Fighters Megamix still hold a place in my heart. Seeing the characters from that series honored despite its lack of renewal is nice.

• Upvote 1

D'you grow up with Fighters Megamix for SEGA Saturn? That game was my childhood. I was never huge on Virtua Fighter, but the three VF games, plus Fighters Megamix still hold a place in my heart. Seeing the characters from that series honored despite its lack of renewal is nice.

Nahh I missed the Saturn as a kid, and the only VF game I've played (very briefly) was VF5:FinalShowdown on a friend's PS3. I think it's kinda' funny how I recognise some of the VF characters more from cameo appearances rather than their main game appearances. 

Back on topic, this pic from Roy's page on the SmashBros site is my new favourite screenshot:

screen-5.jpg

• Upvote 2

God damnit, why is Marth in this game? He's just a Roy clone that's way less fun to play as.

I love playing as all of the new DLC characters.

After trying and playing Roy exclusively for ~4 hours straight, I'm much less disappointed in his return. Sure, I would have liked practically any other FE lord above him, but the changes they did make to Roy, I am now pleased with him and will play him often.

• Upvote 1

jUhHHFr.png

Anyone play the miiverse stage yet?

The majority of Lucas's supporters say "winning won't *lol I'm not spoiling*" and show Lucas being beat up or sucking at everything.

From what I know I think nobody should play as Dark Pit on that stage.

• Upvote 1