Sign in to follow this  
BFG

Minor game tweak topics

Sushigummy (or another mod), feel free to lock this thread if you think it's a duplicate. But I believe suggestions such as the below should NOT go into the new DLC thread. These are minor gameplay tweak suggestions which only modify existing content to improve gameplay, as opposed to suggestions for new content.

Suggestions I have:

1. Boost the attributes of the player while Beefy. Right now, there's little reason to go Beefy unless an obstacle etc. requires it. My recommendation would be that Beefy characters gain a set amount of points to each attribute - say, +5 or +10 to Strength/Defense, +0 to Magic, -5 or -10 to Agility. That would give players more of a reason to go Beefy in various situations.

2. Have AI-controlled enemies be able to block Arrows occasionally. The higher the enemy's Agility, the more likely the Arrow can be blocked.

3. Same as #2 when it comes to AI-controlled enemies blocking Magic Projectiles.

4. Switch Revive to a different, currently unused, button. It annoys me that Heavy Attack is also the Revive button; I've lost count of how many times I've been repeatedly hit because I was trying to attack a nearby enemy and ended up Reviving instead.

5. Fix the Ladder Exploitation of AI-controlled enemies on the Full Moon level.

6. On Insane Mode, allow more than one enemy at a time to throw Bombs, etc. Currently, the AI only allows one enemy to do so at a time.

7. On Insane Mode, increase the number of obstacles on the Abandoned Mill stage. As it stands this stage has exactly the same difficulty on both modes. Or, alternatively, make being touched by the monster troll do 999 damage. :evil:

8. Allow characters with high Agility to shoot Arrows in the air more than once before they land.

Waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait.

Let me make sure I have this right.

Are you asking them to make Insane mode... ... HARDER?

What are you, possessed?

I am beyond words right now.

Agreed, making a behemoth game harder is just an unbelievable concept. :shock:

Although the beefies could get a boost in strength so all that muscle isn't just for show, but just by a few points. I wonder how that'd effect that beefy gametype in the arena.

What are you, possessed?

OK, you can scratch #6 then :lol:

I thought about adding my "give the Evil Wizard a 7th form on Insane Mode" idea too, but that would count as new content...

But I still think the Abandoned Mill stage should feel a little harder in Insane Mode. Adding a few more obstacles should do the trick.

BFG these are horrible ideas. Especially about the ones about insane mode. If the Behemoth ever impliments any of these I'm going over to your house, beating you up, and taking your lunch money.
Well, they would require you to redo your Insane Mode guide I suppose ;)

In all seriousness though, other than #6, what do you see wrong with these?

That's a genuine question - there may be factors I'm not thinking of here, but I won't buy any argument along the lines of "this will make me have to use a different/less exploitative play strategy so I don't like it". I'm also trying to start a conversation on minor gameplay tweaks others would like - i.e. I do NOT want to hog this thread. What sorts of changes if any would you like to see?

1: In my opinion needs to happen. The trick is finding a balance between the extremes of current (no one wants to use Beefy), and where everyone wants to use Beefy. It needs to have some situational advantages, in other words, so people will want to use it SOMETIMES.

2: I should have said "rarely", not "occasionally". I was thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of one out of 20 or so, or perhaps just the first arrow (like some enemies are able to do with the first Light Attack). I've never had an arrow blocked, so I assume it isn't possible with the current AI.

3: See above. Again, it should only happen RARELY.

4: Yeah, this probably wouldn't work after all. I can just see the complaints now about the button changing. Withdrawn.

5: I don't like AI exploitations, period, even if this is one of the only ways for poorer players (i.e. me) to get through the Full Moon Insane Mode stage solo.

6: Withdrawn already.

7: Needs to happen. Both modes feel exactly the same; it's the only stage that doesn't seem to increase in difficulty with Insane Mode.

8: Meh, I can take this one or leave it. It does seem strange though that a high-agility character can shoot 5x as many arrows if he stays on the ground than if he jumps. The limitation feels arbitrary.

1. I see people use beefy all the time. If left the way it is, beefy still has an advantage over non-beefy units. I don't really see a point in making it stronger. If you're saying it doesn't have enough usage to use on insane mode, well that's like saying magic isn't useful enough. You can use it, it's just there's better, more used options to choose from.

2/3. As far as I know, they simply don't have shields.

The reason I don't like this one is because the AI will abuse this, or not be able to use it. If they block even just once every 5 hits or so, then they can easily be killed because that's not that much (especially when juggling or even arrow spamming). If they're allowed more than that then they'll end up abusing it and block everything making you to be forced to go up next to them and magic jump. Obviously this would be a problem with those with not enough magic investment.

4. This was actually one I was in favor of. It'd be nice not to have to shuffle through my weapons as I avoid enemies for the potion. IMO, they should make it the back button.

5. I personally don't have a problem with that sort of exploiting. The game isn't forcing you to do, and somebody else doing it in a completely unrelated game doesn't hurt you. So I think its good as is.

6. I'm glad you agree. Insane mode bombs are strong enough without having 6 Coneheads fire them off at once.

7. Well it's one of the fun stages in Castle Crashers, I guess hitting the troll could do 999, but to make a level that's just designed to mix things up harder seems kinda pointless to me.

8. This concept adds to arrow spamming (which I like) but it also kinda seems, meh to me. I'm not really sure why I don't like it to be honest. Maybe just out of fear of abuse or I hate the idea of people jumping and spamming, but I just don't really like the whole idea of it.

Heh, this is getting better feedback than I expected!

As mentioned above, any other ideas for minor gameplay tweaks also are appreciated.

1. I see people use beefy all the time. If left the way it is, beefy still has an advantage over non-beefy units. I don't really see a point in making it stronger. If you're saying it doesn't have enough usage to use on insane mode, well that's like saying magic isn't useful enough. You can use it, it's just there's better, more used options to choose from.
Interesting. The consensus from people I've talked to is that Beefy doesn't provide any benefit, and instead just makes you slower, easier to hit, and prevents use of arrows and magic. I'd be interested in what other experienced players have to say.
2/3. As far as I know, they simply don't have shields.

The reason I don't like this one is because the AI will abuse this, or not be able to use it. If they block even just once every 5 hits or so, then they can easily be killed because that's not that much (especially when juggling or even arrow spamming). If they're allowed more than that then they'll end up abusing it and block everything making you to be forced to go up next to them and magic jump. Obviously this would be a problem with those with not enough magic investment.

I'm pretty sure the AI can use shields; I've seen the first hit of a Light Attack string blocked several times. I still think that there'd be some way to implement this that wouldn't affect balance too much - for example, perhaps arrows or magic projectiles from a great distance away could be blocked (i.e. the enemy had time to put up a defense), depending on that enemy's Agility. Closer attacks though would have little to no chance of being blocked.
4. This was actually one I was in favor of. It'd be nice not to have to shuffle through my weapons as I avoid enemies for the potion. IMO, they should make it the back button.
Now that you mention it, I am starting to like this idea again :)
7. Well it's one of the fun stages in Castle Crashers, I guess hitting the troll could do 999, but to make a level that's just designed to mix things up harder seems kinda pointless to me.
Well, my only complaint here is that it's the only level on Insane Mode that's NOT harder. It doesn't feel any different than the normal mode version.

What are you, possessed?

That's right! Insane Mode isn't hard enough! I demand an INSANE Insane Mode! 9x the damage! Barbarians can insta-kill! It'll be awesome!

Insane is difficult enough when the AI doesn't block arrows and bombs. All the more reason NOT to make that happen.

I wouldn't mind the ladder thing or the Insane deer-riding level. The troll boss should be an instant kill on Insane, since it's already pitifully easy to get through that course without a scratch.

One I would add is having the host being the only one controlling where you go on the map, it's quite annoying whn you need potions and you have to fight other people to go to the right spot.

One I would add is having the host being the only one controlling where you go on the map, it's quite annoying whn you need potions and you have to fight other people to go to the right spot.

Now we're getting somewhere! I'd modify that to say that the host can only control unless they explicitly give up that option. I recently watched where two players with the same account name (ie local multiplayer) fought for nearly 10 minutes on where to go.

Another nice option might be to display some basic stats (gold skull count, white skull count, leaderboard rank, etc.) next to players in a multiplayer game, before the game has started, to help everyone decide whether they have similar skill levels. It's tough to have a good game when someone with gold skulls gets matched up with three newbies.

BFG these are horrible ideas. Especially about the ones about insane mode. If the Behemoth ever impliments any of these I'm going over to your house, beating you up, and taking your lunch money.

There actually great ideas (:, Thank you, Some people have opinions and we dont need you bringing down a member because you don't like his idea

Yep! Though I have to admit I wasn't sure he was joking till he said he was going to take my lunch money. I don't have any lunch money, you see.

Lies and you know it. Also another minor glitch would be to able to add players while in a game, know i don't mean like while you're in the actual level, but when you're on the world map.

BFG, I'm sure the Behemoth could create a "Super Insane mode" with the insane tweaks you suggested. I wouldn't dare touch that mode unless I had advanced players in my group. But if I did, it would be a mighty challenge to uphold.

As a reward for those skilled enough to complete it, Players could earn themselves a rainbow skull and the legendary Brown Skeleton.

I agree with the op, insane mode is just too easy. I can solo insane mode, seriously the game isnt really difficult enough as long as you arent a terrible juggler, and I support any attempts to make it more difficult.

Now that I think about it...has anyone else wondered why it's impossible to use the Shield while jumping? That's a possible anti-juggling tactic for Arena.

(That said, to keep balance, I'd argue that once that first hit lands successfully, you shouldn't be able to use the Shield while being juggled. It'd only be useful to prevent the STARTING of a juggling combo.)

Now that I think about it...has anyone else wondered why it's impossible to use the Shield while jumping? That's a possible anti-juggling tactic for Arena.

(That said, to keep balance, I'd argue that once that first hit lands successfully, you shouldn't be able to use the Shield while being juggled. It'd only be useful to prevent the STARTING of a juggling combo.)

That's like the bear and saracen's magic. Impenetrable while in flight. If you miss a combo just do that and your fine. But that's frowned upon.