Sign in to follow this  
CSword123

Skullgirls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRj5x7AaJW8

In case you haven't heard, a remarkable indie fighting game is going to be released tomorrow (4/10 on PSN and 4/11 on XBLA). It is a purely hand drawn 2D game, something us Behemoth fans can appreciate! :arrow: The art style personally reminds me of Scott Pilgrim, which is a win in my book!

Admittedly, I was turned off at the worn out concept of an all-girl fighting game cast. That changed when I saw Mike Z, the lead programmer (also a tournament player) interacting with the Fighting Game Community to actively improve the gameplay. What resulted from this communication can only be described in one word: "clever."

-Pausing the game only occurs when the start button is held for 15 frames. No accidental pauses mid-match
-The game restricts unwanted jumping when it detects a complete 360 motion
-Custom assists that can be selected with any attack input!
-GGPO netcode
-Infinite detection system. Only the versatile need apply!
-Fair variable battles
-Intensive tutorial mode that explains pretty much everything.

The game will be $15 on PSN or 1200 Microsoft spacebills!

Gameplay footage:

Edited by CSword123

Wait, so that would prevent unwanted jumping during say.... 720 motions?

So I won't have to use any moves to buffer for the 720, or did I misunderstand?

Wait, so that would prevent unwanted jumping during say.... 720 motions?

So I won't have to use any moves to buffer for the 720, or did I misunderstand?

Actually, I don't believe there are 720s in the game. Plus the only 360 is for Cerebella's super. Yup, you don't need to buffer it with a move. The game will prevent a jump as long as you complete a half-circle before you input up-back/up-forward :-D

Edited by CSword123

Well damn.

This'll be like SFIII New Generation, where Alex has the only 360.

Now I'm sort of looking forward to this game, now that I've actually read more news on it.

• Upvote 1

Totally going to check this game out. Been waiting for like a year ever since I found out about it and constantly looking up new information about it. I just love the sheer amount of work they put into this game. The art and animation are absolutely top-notch with the effort they put into it and the gameplay looks extremely fun too. In fact if you look at the background characters nearly ever single one of them are unique characters rather than generic normal people. The art may be risque as that is Alex's style, but not all characters are like that and it still looks great otherwise.

It seems as if MikeZ just put in so many great things that it makes it seem like they went and thought of everything such as the custom assists, fair variable battles (1vs1,2vs3,3vs3,etc), a infinite detection system, dealing with high-low unblockables, etc. Not only that but I love how unique each character is with their playstyles and attacks. For me at least this is a fighter where I actually want to try each character rather than gravitate to only a few of them. If they put this much work into future characters I'll gladly buy them!

Also note that currently Skullgirls is "all females" for now. Along the road there are males characters planned for DLC, if the game's publishers are still willing to pay for them to make DLC. I really hope Skullgirls does well as some of the characters look great (Personally I would really like to see Panzerfaust and Big Band in action, the latter more).

• Upvote 1

I can't imagine the amount of time Reverge Labs spent animating everything. There was clearly a lot of love put into the game. Alex Ahad was careful in how his characters were brought to virtual life as Mike Z diligently tweaked the engine to near-perfection. If Skullgirls receives the same sales and praise in the downloadable market as Castle Crashers, it well earned it.

Zugama, you brought up even more examples of how this game breaks fighting game boundaries! ;-)

Edited by CSword123

I'm a bit curious.

What games did Mike Z actually play?

And what characters?

I don't know much about Mike's MVC2 history apart from that he loves it dearly; a lot of the mechanics in Skullgirls are influenced by MVC2 sans the brokenness.

He is probably more known in the Blazblue community for playing Tager (who was super low tier in CT) and made a hilarious tutorial video for Aksys that was included in every Special Edition of CT:

Edited by CSword123

Well Skullgirls is out right now for both the PS3 and Xbox360 right now! Just got it on Xbox360 and having a total blast (Playing by myself, but still having a great time)! I first I was pretty terrible, but after going through the tutorials I am doing kinda decent now. Shame that there is currently no in-game movelists, they weren't able to get it in in time. Also on the 360 version current loading time is somewhat slow do to fact that when they packaged and encrypted the files at the end, the way they access data doesn't really go with Microsoft's package format. Currently they are working to get movelists in and fix the loadtimes on the 360 version in patch. For now you are able to download and print out some movesheets here which will have to do for now:

http://skullgirls.com/game/guides/

The game also somewhat makes me want to get an arcade pad. Using the 360 controller is sometimes a pain. Doing Parasoul's charge motions are so hard on it and no matter how hard I try the stick just won't let me air dash making it near impossible to use characters with them at their full potential. Air dashing works on the D-pad but there is just no way I could that mess of a D-pad (And from what I see no one else is having this problem so I know it is just the controller's fault). However I am not sure if I should invest over $100 just to do so as I really don't have much money. Does anyone know of some good arcade pads, possibly cheaper ones you can suggest? If there really aren't any cheap good ones, I wouldn't mind knowing which ones work fine/great.

But anyways this game is just pure fun! I love it! I really hope Skullgirls continues to get support as it has SO MUCH potential! With all the epic concepts for characters I think it can really have a shot at being a legend but as I said only if it gets enough support. It would be a shame for such hard work to fade into the unknown. I mean who wouldn't want to play as a guy like this?

SG_bigbandconcept.jpg

Edited by Zugama
  • Upvote 1

But anyways this game is just pure fun! I love it! I really hope Skullgirls continues to get support as it has SO MUCH potential! With all the epic concepts for characters I think it can really have a shot at being a legend but as I said only if it gets enough support. It would be a shame for such hard work to fade into the unknown. I mean who wouldn't want to play as a guy like this?

SG_bigbandconcept.jpg

Couldn't agree more. I find myself wanting to play as so many of the background characters. I mean, a shark scientist? Just take my money now.

It's probably because I'm awful at fighters, but story mode is just so hard for me. Even in Sleepwalk Mode (the super-easy mode), I found it nearly impossible to beat the final boss, even after learning most of the moveset. Maybe it's because I was playing as Ms. Fortune? Is she considered an underpowered character or anything?

The game also somewhat makes me want to get an arcade pad. Using the 360 controller is sometimes a pain. Doing Parasoul's charge motions are so hard on it and no matter how hard I try the stick just won't let me air dash making it near impossible to use characters with them at their full potential. Air dashing works on the D-pad but there is just no way I could that mess of a D-pad (And from what I see no one else is having this problem so I know it is just the controller's fault). However I am not sure if I should invest over $100 just to do so as I really don't have much money. Does anyone know of some good arcade pads, possibly cheaper ones you can suggest? If there really aren't any cheap good ones, I wouldn't mind knowing which ones work fine/great.

By arcade pad, would you mean stick? :oops: (don't know of many gamepads that cost $100)

If so, the best option for a low budget would probably be one of these:

http://www.gamestop....awl-stick/89347

Keep in mind that they are not authentic Japanese parts, just Sanwa clones.

If you were to purchase a JLF stick and 6-8 buttons to do a drop-in replacement, that would come around to $35-$40 more. Since the stock ones are Sanwa clones, however, you can make due with them for the time being, or if they decide to break on you.

It's probably because I'm awful at fighters, but story mode is just so hard for me. Even in Sleepwalk Mode (the super-easy mode), I found it nearly impossible to beat the final boss, even after learning most of the moveset. Maybe it's because I was playing as Ms. Fortune? Is she considered an underpowered character or anything?

You won't be getting a tier list out of me any time soon! I play Fortune as well and I see what you mean about her having a tough time against the final boss. For her first two stages, i like doing endless cross ups with her j.LP and j.HP, so that she has a hard time tracking you with her homing attacks. Try to save your meter for her last stage though, because you will want to use her Feral Edge super (QCB+KK in the air) that should take nice chunks out of her health without missing.

Edited by CSword123

SG_bigbandconcept.jpg

Couldn't agree more. I find myself wanting to play as so many of the background characters. I mean, a shark scientist? Just take my money now.

Pretty much any character with a name right now is up for grabs as DLC, to my knowledge these are all the possible characters we can see.

Comfirmed DLC: Squigly, Umbrella

Speculative DLC: Big Band (Sax Guy), Panzerfaust (Tank Fist), Leduc, Hive, Brain Drain, Black Dahlia, Feng, Ileum, Beowulf, Mrs. Victoria, Marie, and more in which I shall not name due to possible super spoilers, but pretty much any character with a name.

From what I have heard MikeZ has confirmed Marie will come at some time, and also talked about how Big Band would play saying "Big Band is going to play like Q, but not crappy."

Also all the characters in this game are extremely good. It is just with the way the final boss is I find that some characters have a harder time with her than others. I find fighting the final boss the easiest using Cerebella, Peacock, or Painwheel (Though you really need to know what your doing with Painwheel to win but once you do she can take her down quite fast). Also Double's bandwagon super is invincible and is tall enough to hit her third form and do some safe damage against her. She is much MUCH easier if you are playing with 1 character, because if you do use a team against her, my god does she ever tear them apart (At least for me). The first and second phase are easy enough but the third one gets quite annoying. With Ms. Fortune I find that it is best to use her jumping HK and her air super to take her out.

By arcade pad, would you mean stick? :oops: (don't know of many gamepads that cost $100)

If so, the best option for a low budget would probably be one of these:

http://www.gamestop....awl-stick/89347

Keep in mind that they are not authentic Japanese parts, just Sanwa clones.

If you were to purchase a JLF stick and 6-8 buttons to do a drop-in replacement, that would come around to $35-$40 more. Since the stock ones are Sanwa clones, however, you can make due with them for the time being, or if they decide to break on you.

That looks awesome! And..... *Currently unavailable online*

*Sighs*

Edited by Zugama

That looks awesome! And..... *Currently unavailable online*

*Sighs*

My bad :-( With these sort of things, you are going to have to call the local gamestops in your area.

If I may add my own experience, I started with an SE fightstick (same design as the Brawl), and decked it out with custom artwork and parts: http://forums.thebeh...__fromsearch__1

Then one day, I saw the TE on sale for $100. Man do I wish I started with that one first :-(. I think saving up for a TE or similar is a good investment.

Edited by CSword123

I actually looked and saw that the Brawl Stick you showed is on Amazon for like $50. Investing in a TE would probably be a smartest choice, but I am just not too keen on spending nearly all of my money to experience such greatness seeing how honestly I am not any sort of fighting game aficionado (And with all the others I have I can play those fine with the controller). I am going to have to think about it as really the only problems I am having is with air dashes truly and I guess I can live with that as most of the characters I am trying to get good at don't really have them anyways, besides Peacock. >_>

Also, nevermind what I said about the final boss being easier with 1 person Sushi. Just tried again with a 3 person team and I actually survived extremely well against her. I must have been sucking really bad when I did it before. With story mode though you'll still have to brave against her with 1 character or if you do arcade with 1. Once you understand how she works the first two phases should go by without too much hassle. It is just that third phase that tends to get most people.

Also, nevermind what I said about the final boss being easier with 1 person Sushi. Just tried again with a 3 person team and I actually survived extremely well against her. I must have been sucking really bad when I did it before. With story mode though you'll still have to brave against her with 1 character or if you do arcade with 1. Once you understand how she works the first two phases should go by without too much hassle. It is just that third phase that tends to get most people.

Wait, you can play story mode with more than one characters? I don't think that worked for me when I tried it before. Do you have to unlock it or anything?

And dagnabbit, is there any effective way to do Right/Left+Down+Diagonal attacks on a normal PS3 controller? That combination always tears me to pieces.

Wait, you can play story mode with more than one characters? I don't think that worked for me when I tried it before. Do you have to unlock it or anything?

And dagnabbit, is there any effective way to do Right/Left+Down+Diagonal attacks on a normal PS3 controller? That combination always tears me to pieces.

Nah, you can't do story mode with more than one character. Just saying that as you fight the final boss also in arcade mode and I went to try again with multiple characters to find out that it actually works pretty well against her. Before when I was giving you tips I said one character is best against her so I wanted to correct myself. Sorry if that was somewhat confusing.

Also I believe those are called dragon punch motions. Trust me, it is pretty hard on the Xbox360 controller too but thankfully they are much more responsive for me in this game than they were with others games using that controller. I do believe using an arcade stick is the way these games are truly meant to played but as we know the price is quite steep for a good one and even then from what I've seen they might need a few custom adjustments.

Hmm... Zugama, if you are having trouble with airdashes on a pad, have you tried setting 2 punches to a macro button? It may be easier than flicking the 360 control stick all around, especially when it comes to IAD's (instant air dashes). Peacock doesn't have the fastest airdash, but it still may be more reliable to dash with a button rather than double tapping left/right.

I actually did try that out and it is pretty useful. However because it is 2 punches, oddly enough when I press it SOMETIMES but not all the time the character will either do one of the punches instead. A tad bit annoying, but probably something I'll have to get use to. At least it gives me a way to airdash now.

Edited by Zugama
  • Upvote 1

I got this game a few days ago, and so far I have to agree with the praise it is receiving. As someone that cannot use a fight stick due to playing one-handed I greatly appreciate the lack of overly complicated inputs like 720s or QCFx2. I know that customizable inputs are standard in fighting games, but I like the complete freedom with the triggers. I set one to PPP and the other to KKK for easy dashes and blockbusters.

I like how the combo system is flexible yet forces creativity; although as someone whose main tournament fighter experience is SSBM, six-button fighters tend to trip me up a bit. Hopefully this will be the game where I finally get used to it. After all, the visual style and flow of this game is so good that it really encourages mastery.

If anyone wants to challenge their ability to press buttons and wiggle a stick against me on PSN, my username is the same there as it is here.

Oh dear, one handed?

That almost sounds like the bad kind of torture.

And I'll be getting this for PC.

They developers did say that it's likely that a PC port will happen.

Also I'm a bit confused. I get the Zoner vibe from Parasoul's Napalm Shot, but I don't see much else that resembles zoning aside from that. Someone please clarify. :3

Oh dear, one handed?

That almost sounds like the bad kind of torture.

And I'll be getting this for PC.

They developers did say that it's likely that a PC port will happen.

Also I'm a bit confused. I get the Zoner vibe from Parasoul's Napalm Shot, but I don't see much else that resembles zoning aside from that. Someone please clarify. :3

It's not too bad, I've been playing games this way for over a decade, (basically once I got a ps2, logical joystick placement is critical) and I gold skulled every character in CC this way, got top ten ranked scores in all renegade ops missions, and solo'd the extra boss Crawmerax in Borderlands with multiple characters. Traditional 2d fighters are, I admit, a whole different beast. I'm confident my stubbornness will pull through though.

While not as obtrusive of zoning as Parasoul's, Peacock can fill the screen with junk (read: projectiles) from a variety of angles for projectile zoning. Filia's ringlet spike has potential in this area as well.

If your definition of zoning includes pokes I think most characters have some decent options there, although I think they're encouraging a faster pace overall.

Of course I can't really tell a character's playstyles just from videos alone, unless of course they're grapplers. (IE: Original Blazblue's Rachel looks like a complete rushdown character despite actually being zoner oriented).

A good portion of these characters look like they could do some decent rushdown combos.

So everybody who has the game, perhaps who are your favorite characters to play as? For me my personal favorites are Painwheel and Peacock who are both my favorite in terms of gameplay, attacks, designs, and stories in the game. Peacock is just so amazing in the fact that she is an absolute reference to cartoons of olden times. Dropping living anvils on people has never been so fun! For me Painwheel is just extremely brutal. Just looking at the attacks she does she would probably be in excessive pain while doing them, yet they probably would be excessively painful to those they hit (And I love how her Buer Drive spins very fast with a clean saw sound when not hitting anything but when it does hit something it shows more frames as if it is tearing through the the opponent with the added sound of each impacted blade). Plus I am always a sucker for monstrous-horror looking characters who are troubled but good souls on the inside (And oddly enough I find her to be cute in the end somehow under all that in terms of who she is, though I know most would disagree). Cerebella is also up there too as I do quite like the grappler playstyle, but those two in the end are the top for me.

I just love how unlike any other fighter that I've played ALL the characters are extremely viable and are all good characters in their own right. Plus with custom assists you can truly make a team that works for you rather than possibly have a bad assist for your style which just adds to the characters' greatness. Really if I had the time I would like to master every character if I could. However I can't exactly do that, so I am spending my time trying to master Peacock/Painwheel as much as I can. I do possibly want to add Cerebella to mix, but I find her much easier to play than those time so I taking some time off her for now. Thankfully I have been getting better with charge motions on the 360 controller so perhaps I could actually try to play as Parasoul again and see what I could do with her. I also need to try out Ms. Fortune again as she is fun......... gosh, so much I want do with this game! Wish I much more time to invest into it, but when you have life, I guess you just have to live it sometimes (Better than not living it you know, like, being dead. That is no fun).

Edited by Zugama

My favorite characters are Ms. Fortune and Peacock. Peacock for pretty much the same reason you outlined.

As for Ms. Fortune, I just like being able to spike my own character's head off, then fighting with both the head and headless body at the same time. Plus, some of her lines are pretty funny, as far as cat puns go.