Sign in to follow this  
CSword123

Skullgirls

Yeah Peacock just has everything! From a Charlie Brown football kick, a Judge Doom eye knife attack, a Tetris Block shield, dropping Final Fight barrels, Gradius moai statues, and just so much more, the list of homages and references she has can go on for a long time.

I know what you mean when you just love one's playstyle. For me it just feels so satisfyingly when I get Painwheel to slam her opponents to the ground, her muscles growing due to the sheer amount power she is exerting, and then grab them with a fan-of-death to slam her painful spike-filled body against the foes sending them sprawling to the wall. Deep stuff.

Edited by Zugama

And I actually have Skullgirls this time.

It's downloading as we speak.

I'm willing to try every character here now that I've seen more videos.

• Upvote 1

I finally got out of my comfort zone and started playing 2 character teams :-D It's been tough finding a good assist though. Cerebella's Rush Punch seems good for getting in with Ms. Fortune. I haven't explored her detachable head combos just yet but word on the street is that she can do insane loops in the corner! I need to recognize situations where headless Fortune works better.

I need to recognize situations where headless Fortune works better.

Speaking of which, I've been meaning to ask, are there any disadvantages of keeping her headless?

Speaking of which, I've been meaning to ask, are there any disadvantages of keeping her headless?

From what I could tell there's not that much of a difference. Her head is really there so you can do special attacks while it's detached. (I've only played like one hour of this so forgive me)

Also the comboing system in this game is not what I expected. Which means I actually have to do tutorial mode. :V

You lose all of her good normal hard punch abilities without your head and pretty much any normal that uses her head as an attack such as her standing medium punch. Really if you are not using her head a lot when it is detached it may be bad due to the fact you don't have those moves and they get replaced with much less useful ones. Idealistic it is also bad if your enemy keeps attacking her head and you don't stop them from doing so as the damage can soon takes it toll. By knowing when it is good for you to have all those moves or attack with her is head is truly one of the ways to effectively use her, at least that is what I would say.

I finally got out of my comfort zone and started playing 2 character teams :-D It's been tough finding a good assist though. Cerebella's Rush Punch seems good for getting in with Ms. Fortune.

I know one thing and it is that it is really hard to find good assists that Painwheel can do (Mostly due to the fact you can't get her hatred guard/charging on them). She really isn't that much of an assist character and more of a character that is suppose to duke it out as it seems. Current though I have been using either her Buer Reaper light or medium with Peacock as I can actually get a decent combo with using Banjo Trouble (c. hard kick) in a combo as Painwheel can usually grab someone after the move knocks them back. I end it with a little Argus Agony and I guess that is how I get my damage. Edited by Zugama
  • Upvote 1

As of now, I think the safest way to setup headless Ms. Fortune is during a combo with QCB+P. I haven't messed with it much in training mode though... :oops:

Once in a blue moon, my opponent gets caught between Ms. Fortune and her head. Similiar to how Carl plays in BB, I then do s.MP, s.MK, s.HP loop over and over. If the opponent does not get hit, it becomes free pressure. The opponent is forced to pushblock in order to escape from blockstun. If the loop does hit, I usually go into s.HK launcher. The only problem is that the head seems to get in the way of an aircombo when I try this in the corner. The solution?

8-)

Edited by CSword123

On some other note, here are some possible gameplay hints towards the upcoming DLC characters.

Squigly is a zombie opera singer inhabited by the parasite Leviathan, and bests her opponents using “stance cancels” and spatial control powers. Umbrella, little sister of Skullgirls mainstay Parasoul, wields her voracious living umbrella in battle, which grows hungrier and more powerful the longer it isn’t used.

And also to my knowledge, Mike Z as I said before spoke of Big Band playing similar to Q from Street Fighter 3: Third Strike but he would be much more useful though I don't believe he is an upcoming DLC character yet.

Edited by Zugama

I love Q even though I can't use him for the life of me.

Another Q-ish character would be amazing.

I for one still wait for the shotoclone. (Ryu/Ken and such.)

Quick question, which one of you guys have Skullgirls on XBLA? Currently I might make a new account to download rated M retail demos (My family is personally fine with me playing games like that as they do feel I am mature enough to do so, however it seems as if my account can't download them even if we turn on the parental controls and allow everything or even if it is off. It kinda sucks as we can't just make any account have the ability to download them and only adult accounts can which we don't have yet. However it lets us download rated-M XBLA games so I don't understand why it has to only be for the retail demos.) but I am still not sure if I truly want to. I believe every new account for a 360 can get 1 month of free gold, so I thought if some of you had Skullgirls on it we could possibly have the chance to play it together with this possible account I might make. Time zones might make it a bit hard to get together but perhaps we could figure something out (I also hope the fact of me living all the way out in Japan doesn't affect the overall performance horribly).

I have the XBLA version :-)

My Gamertag is Coolsword123.

OK, this is hilarious. It's the VA's playing against each other. There's a bunch of them from the uploader (NSFW):

I hope that one day, I'll get to hear "WHERE ARE MY EGRETS?" when fighting a Parasoul online.

Edited by CSword123

Sarah is just hilarious/silly! Sarah especially as she sounds nearly like Peacock throughout most of the games. Also love how Kimlinh starts to annoy others when ever she plays (Mow mow mow mow mow).

Funny to see the VA play, have such foul mouths, and act somewhat as if they were the characters (Danielle is pretty funny with some of the Painwheel jokes she does). It is now hard to look at Parasoul without thinking "WHERE ARE MY EGRETS" or "TAKE THE DAMN SHOT".

• Upvote 1

Sorry for double posting, however this is some important information right here. Skullgirls is coming to PC through

GameFly, GamersGate, GameStop PC Downloads, Origin, and Steam.

http://www.gamasutra...PC__in_2012.php

Very good for all those PC gamers, but for me I know my computer would run it like crap so darn. Probably if I got a new computer I would happily purchase the game again. :-D

Also the game is now out in EU/AU areas now.

Edited by Zugama
  • Upvote 1

I got this game on the 360 and love it. Controls are easy and most characters are standard hadoken motions for moves. Fav character is cerebella since shes beast at grappling and has a wicked damaging uppercut. The game reminds me of blazblue and for being a new game created from scratch its damn impressive.

As for fight sticks you might want to look for a tekken 6 one as the game is dirt cheap and comes in an ultimate edition with one for like 40$ canadian.

The fight stick is the same design as the street fighter 4 one and feels the same. Can't go wrong

I got this game on the 360 and love it. Controls are easy and most characters are standard hadoken motions for moves. Fav character is cerebella since shes beast at grappling and has a wicked damaging uppercut. The game reminds me of blazblue and for being a new game created from scratch its damn impressive.

As for fight sticks you might want to look for a tekken 6 one as the game is dirt cheap and comes in an ultimate edition with one for like 40$ canadian.

The fight stick is the same design as the street fighter 4 one and feels the same. Can't go wrong

Stock Hori buttons are actually stiffer in feel when compared to Sanwas. Senstitivity is an important factor for stick users, which is why a lot of the crowd have moved on from the standard American/European Happ/IL (distinct long plunger and spring).

I never particularly enjoyed the feel of stock Hori buttons, but some users may prefer them. The Tekken 6 stick in particular is wireless which may not be ideal for an execution demanding game like Skullgirls.

In terms of stiffness I would rate these brands in order:

1.Happ/IL

2.Hori

3.Seimitsu

4.Sanwa (lightest)

I haven't been playing Skullgirls much lately, but I am also waiting to see what the most optimized are for my characters. MS. Fortune has the potential for extremely high damage output in the corner! :shock:

This hasn't been posted yet, but the official soundtrack for Skullgirls was released a little while back.

You can get it on ITunes or Amazon MP3

Edited by CSword123

I'm thinking of getting this game once I've stocked up on space bucks again, but I just wanted to know in advance: is the online packed with players or are only a handfull of people playing this online every day?

Gotta love the easy to understand motions. Also compared to many other fighters I have played Skullgirls tends to be the most responsive fighter I've played which makes it very fun and easy to get into.

For a first game it is quite the fantastic one in my opinion. I really can't wait to see what Reverge has in store for Skullgirls' future or any other possible projects they might have.

I haven't been playing Skullgirls much lately, but I am also waiting to see what the most optimized are for my characters. MS. Fortune has the potential for extremely high damage output in the corner! :shock:

Yeah she is able to get some major damage using her head with a combination of the NOM NOM NOM attack to extend her combos extremely. However Mike Z plans on patching this somehow as the IPS is not on head as it seems. From what I've heard the plan is to make the head leap backwards if Ms Fortune hits them out of a Nom or make some sort of IPS for the head.

Currently as always I am trying to better myself with Painwheel. She can do some absolutely crazy stuff with her flight canceling and such but my execution for stuff like that is just terrible. However I just love her Buer Reaper moves as so many of her other attacks lead perfectly into them. She is probably my best character in the end as with her I constantly see new possibilities more than I do with other characters if that makes sense (Though I guess it is common for a person to be driven towards certain characters in the end).

Hey guys. Skullgirls is going through quite alot right now. Recently the new patch has been released on the PS3 (Microsoft being difficult as always), it has come out in Japan, a pc version is in the works, and there is a major crowdfunding going on for DLC characters! The reason why much of this took such a long time to actually happen?  Sadly the many of the people who worked on Skullgirls got laid off. I won't go into much detail, however they are back up and running again, and they are planning big things!

This crowdfunding is for a character known as Squigly, in which they must reach $150,000 in order to make her and $175,000 to make a stage and story for her. Oh wait, they actually made that goal, and are quite ahead of that! In fact, this goal was passed on the first day of the crowdfunding! Quite amazing, however the fun doesn't stop there as there are some stretch goals! If they are able to reach $375,000, then they'll be able to make Big Band, which will be Skullgirls' first playable male character (My personal most wanted character, so I am super ecstatic) At $400,000, they'll make a stage and story mode for Big Band as well.

Lastly, the final stretch sitting at $600,000 will be a character voted in by the fans! Throughout this whole campaign, they have been revealing characters that one can possibly vote for as the third DLC character. There are characters we have seen in stories, backgrounds, and concept art. This ranges from Brain Drain, Umbrella, the Science Shark who is now known as Stanley, and more! You can find them all on the campaign page, which is here:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/keep-skullgirls-growing?c=home

Currently as of this post, they are at about $300,000. $75,000 more, then we'll be able to see Big Band in the game as well!

Edited by Zugama

I just popped in to see what this game's even about (I'm a little slow to pick up on this kind of stuff) and HOLY CRAP am I interested. I wish I had known about this game earlier!

I'm gonna go ahead and take a further look into it, but I'm liking what I see so far. Might even help towards the cause that you mentioned! BOY am I glad I clicked on this forum topic, hahaha.

Hey, just thought I'd remind everyone that the fundraiser for Skullgirls DLC characters is still going on! Squigly and Big Band are both completely funded; in fact, they are SOOOOO CLOSE to adding a third DLC character! There are only a few days left to contribute before it's all over, and it'd be a real shame if they came this close to barely fall short.

Right now they have a pretty nice list of possible characters that they could add as the third DLC character, and we'll get to vote on the one we want if it's funded. They've even decided to throw in some really neat stuff like new announcer voice packs and such! Keep in mind that all of this DLC will be FREE (for a limited time) when it comes out, so that's pretty awesome!

Anyways, head on over the site to check out the fundraiser and hopefully contribute something (every dollar counts!), and also check out the list of possible characters so you can think about who you'd like to see in the game. Let's make this happen!

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/keep-skullgirls-growing?c=home

• Upvote 1

I contributed $30 and it feels good man. 360 users never did get the major patch so I didn't feel like getting back into it. We're finally getting a male character too!

This game is... Hard. I'm not good at those sorts of games anyway but this seems harder than the others in this genre.

Take advantage of the awesome GGPO netcode and get yourself a training partner. If that person plays the same character as you, ask  for advice.  In my experience, no one is going to hand you skill on a silver platter. You have to make an extra effort to learn the mechanics but you should try to have fun doing it as well. Everytime I start a new fighting game like Darkstalkers Resurrection (just came out too), I practice things in training mode and then go online to learn and not stress over winning/losing too much. That comes later  :-)  

Edited by CSword123

This game is... Hard. I'm not good at those sorts of games anyway but this seems harder than the others in this genre.

Really? Honestly I found this game to be much easier to play than many other fighters that I've played, which is part of why I able to get into it so easily. This is mostly due to its responsive controls and having the timing for motions being not as strict as some other fighters out there. You'll certainly be rough for awhile when you first start a fighter, but you'll get much better as times goes by and you better learn the mechanics and characters of the game.

Anyways, in regards to CSword123, yeah, it really is a shame that the 360 version hasn't got the patch yet due to the drama Lab Zero went through and Microsoft being generally difficult as always. However, this fundraiser has severely surprised me. I love Skullgirls, however I honestly thought that getting to Squigly would be a extreme challenge. She gets funded, story mode and all, in the first day! Half-way through, Big Band joins the fray, and now at the end, a new third character is going to be coming in as well! Honestly, all of this is just so amazing, and on top of all of that, they are also adding free voice packs along with special free new stages! Because of all of this (and also because we are getting Big Band), i ended up donating 100$ to the cause (Plus getting a PC version of the game might open up more opportunities for me to play with other people as well).

Also, as I said, there third character is cleared, ready for take off!  There are many, MANY characters to choose from!

HERE is a list of all the characters along with story information and playstyles: http://www.labzerogames.com/3rdcharacter/

(NOTE: One of the characters, JuJu, is currently not in here. There is some sort of problem in terms of her copyright, as she was fabricated from a suggestion a person made. Things are trying to be sort out with her so that she might not possibly cause them legal trouble in the future.)

HERE is how the voting will work:

Anyone who contributes at least $1 will be eligible to vote for the 3rd DLC character, so be sure to tell your friends to contribute before the campaign ends on March 27th!

Voting will go as follows:

• Four rounds of voting
  • 1st round: All characters, 3 votes
  • 2nd round: Top 16 from 1st round, 3 votes
  • 3rd round: Top 8 from 2nd round, 3 votes
  • 4th round: Top 3 from 3rd round, 1 vote

Polls will be e-mailed directly to all contributors.

We'll be keeping an eye out for suspicious votes. Any votes deemed suspicious will be thrown out, and will not count toward the results of the poll.

Now, the big question is, who do you want to win?

Edited by Zugama

Well let's keep in mind that even in the last 30 hours or so, there are still some stretch goals we're aiming for! If we manage to reach $725,000 (and we're getting sorta close), they promised to add yet another playable DLC character: Robo-Fortune! Basically she's a robotic form of Ms. Fortune with some gameplay variations. More importantly, reaching that goal would mean that the Mane6 project gets to use the Skullgirls game engine for free, which I understand they could really use. Keep up the fund-raising! Let's make them give us more stuff!

Anyways, originally I was absolutely sure I wanted Feng as the 3rd DLC character, and part of me still does. Her style of gameplay sounds really unique, with the decision to use her birds acrobatically or offensively. Sounds like it would take some experimenting to get a solid strategy down, but she could prove to be an impressive character. Then they introduced a wave of complicated and fascinating characters like Isaac, Aeon, Venus, and Adam. The whole time and space manipulation stuff sounds like it might be pretty complicated for a fighting game; it's certainly a lot different from the rest of the characters. They're definitely interesting though. And then there are the bulky powerhouses that I've always been a fan of, like Panzerfaust and (good lord) Samson gone berserk! So many options! I think my current top 3 would be:

1. Panzerfaust

2. Feng

3. Isaac

Overall, the weirdoes like Andy and Stanley don't appeal to me at all... they're just too absurd. I can't imagine ANYONE looking at Andy and saying "HOLY CRAP I WANNA PLAY AS THAT DUDE!" and that's pretty important in a fighting game. People seem to like Stanley a lot though... We'll see.

Well its been awhile since this has been updated but I thought its worth reviving to share the news to the few Skullgirls players still out there. Lab Zero has officially announced that Robo Fortune will be the last major update for Skullgirls. Any new characters/features would be put in Skullgirls 2, as they can't cram much more space into the PS3 version of the game.

On another note, I'm usually around and looking for a match, so make sure to message me on steam (or PS4) and I'll show you why I am the King!