Sign in to follow this  
BFG

Death Of The Ps3

Or, at least, death of mine.

I turned on my first-gen PS3 today to, of all things, watch The Muppets. Sadly, it was not meant to be, for the Red Blinking Light of Death swiftly struck. Guess I won't be playing any Castle Crashers for a while... :?

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth the $70 repair that will make it last a few more months, or just get another one...thing is, I've got way too many PS2 games to buy a model that doesn't have backward compatibility. Oh, what to do!

I'd get it repaired. I have both a CechA01 and CechE01 model and I'm going to send one of them to get fixed myself as I just experienced the same problem. If this happened to you a few years ago, I would say just buy a new system. Considering now that my guess is Ps4 is only a couple years away, it makes more sense on my part to just get it fixed for say $100 as opposed to shelling over $200 for one that can't play ps2 games.

Man, this has happened to me twice on my phat PS3, and then it stopped reading discs...

You have two options here:

;) Fix it yourself. (What I did both times, which only costed about $10 for both fixes. Each fix lasted around 3 months and you keep all your data. Must be done properly.)

or

:( Send it in for a refurbished model, pay $100 - $150 for about a 1-year fix, get all your data swiped, and wait 2 to 4 weeks to get it back.

Obviously, I recommend Option ;), but mainly if you have the tools or if you wanna transfer data to a new PS3 (which is what I did after fix #2).

The ultimate decision is up to you, though.

Thanks guys. I probably will go ahead and repair this one - after all, it's a Gen1, and I have 10 PS2 games - and 1 PS1 game - that I like to play on it.

If the problem is what I suspect it is, then I can get it permanently (or nearly so) repaired for $140. The reading I've done online says the problem is the GPU has separated from the motherboard, because Sony used a poor quality lead-free solder. So the fix is to strip all of that off, and use a leaded solder on it. $140 seems like a lot, but I doubt I'll buy a PS4/XBox 720/Wii U so could have this PS3 for another decade or more.

Well, be sure to replace the Thermal Compound on the CPU and GPU chips. It'll help the duration of it's life and boost performance.

Best of luck to you.

Well I stopped doing Playstation after PS2 and PSP, but I've had system crash on me more than once. In my opinion, if the repair will only last a few months I think you should get an up to date system. If it'll last another year or two, I'll usually make the repair. If it's only a couple of months, I won't usually so it.

As for the BC, you can buy new PS2s for less than $100 new. Even cheaper if you get it used.

Ah, c'mon Pie Guy, it's VERY related to Castle Crashers as far as I'm concerned. As in, I can't get my fix for a while! :?

It almost makes me wish there were a Castle Crashers available for the PC...

P.S.

This doesn't belong in Castle Crashers.

Oh, hadn't noticed that. Thanks for pointing it out.

Moving this on over to Off-Topic Arena.

60gb ps3 $600

Castle Crashers $15

Pink Knight DLC $1.99

Losing playing time because of a broken ps3.............
PRICELESS!!!

My list exactly, except you need to throw in "160GB PS3 $200".

Grand total: Priceless + $817. :P

wait wait wait.

people here play video games?

wow, nerds.

I bet you like to have fun too.

Edited by mechazeep

60gb ps3 $600

Castle Crashers $15

Pink Knight DLC $1.99

PRICELESS!!!

You forgot the taxes :-P

But yeah, this sucks royally. If it wasn't for my SNES, and Oblivion on my old laptop, I'd...*gasp* be WITHOUT VIDEO GAMES FOR A WHILE.

So what are you're going to end up getting a new one then?

Out of curiosity, what do you play on the SNES? I've been having this nostalgic itch for a week or two now and have been going through the classics.

That sucks man. I've had a playstation die on me before but i've had 2 xboxes die on me also.

Don't be disheartened dude. It took a lot of abuse for my first PS3 to die. I'd say save $380 for a 300gig and start over ;)

That or fix it yourself

How do people's consol's keep on dieing? I take decent care of mine, but always leave them on for very long periods of time, and never had a system break. Do I get the super limited forever lasting editions or something?

How do people's consol's keep on dieing? I take decent care of mine, but always leave them on for very long periods of time, and never had a system break. Do I get the super limited forever lasting editions or something?

It all depends on the console, the version, and what you do with it over several periods of time.

60gb ps3 $600

Castle Crashers $15

Pink Knight DLC $1.99

PRICELESS!!!

Even though that sucks your PS3 broke,the joke you made above,is hilarious.