Giraffey

Steam Launch Misstep

I've been following the steam game hub discussion before buying and the game hasn't been too well perceived by a majority of the community. Are there any plans to address the issues people have been voicing? Here are the major ones I've read about -

• Online lag (might be due to bad hosts with inadequate upload speed)
  • Quite a few reports of some type of frame skipping
  • No real native support for higher resolutions. A smaller resolution is just stretched across most resolutions above 720p making the image quality blurry
  • Tip popups shows XBOX controls when playing with keyboard
  • No proper push-to-talk and microphones are always on
  • No real clarification on the remaining DLC characters (Alien Hominid, The king, Necromancer). Are they included in the game free?
  • The new volleyball mode from the PS3 port didn't make it to the PC
  • A lot of people upset about the pricing and day one DLC for such an old game

The game launched and peaked at about 600 players yesterday, which doesn't seem too bad, but I honestly expected it to be a few thousand. The game is now sitting at 300 players according to steam stats. What the heck happen?

• Upvote 1

I've been following the steam game hub discussion before buying and the game hasn't been too well perceived by a majority of the community. Are there any plans to address the issues people have been voicing? Here are the major ones I've read about -

• No real native support for higher resolutions. A smaller resolution is just stretched across most resolutions above 720p making the image quality blurry
  • No real clarification on the remaining DLC characters (Alien Hominid, The king, Necromancer). Are they included in the game free?

The game launched and peaked at about 600 players yesterday, which doesn't seem too bad, but I honestly expected it to be a few thousand. The game is now sitting at 300 players according to steam stats. What the heck happen?

Yea ive seen the silly mistakes you have seen. I wouldn't think TheBehemoth would be a company to release something like this just for "money" and only "money." Ever since the ToC they haven't given a poop about anyone or anything, they just recklessly do things for their own good regardless if its good for us or bad.

I got disconnected last night and it said "You have been disconnected from Xbox." Zero thought of improvement or consideration for the community went into this project, just copied and pasted it onto the PC. The main issue I see is Online Arena mode. There is no "ranked" arena just player matches, therefore when I go into a match and completely destroy someone(kinda like behemoth did this Steam launch) and I will destroy anyone who wasn't in th top 10 of the tournament then I can just be kicked and not played with.

I hope they can fix these things or atleast man the F*** up and do s*** right for ONCE and not screw up Battleblock Theatre. I suggest you take your forums down and everything to have complete focus on that game. TheBehemoth multitasks like a fat kid trying to stuff his face and run a marathon, they f***ing can't.

0/10 on the review for CC on Steam, pathetic they only care about money...

IMO the controls on keyboard are a bit..... sucky, I know you can rebind them but it took me a while (forgot there was a "controls" screen) before I could even hit an enemy.... but aside from this and the points mentioned above it's a decent port.

Edited by Koen

I was not aware of these issues. That is extremely unfortunate. Especially the control pop ups being all xbox and the arena lag. I was hoping that arena on steam would be lag free.

Ugh.

I'm going to address issues with my knowledge of computers, because some of those things aren't The Behemoth's fault, and some are, well, yeah.

Online Lag: That is more than likely caused by either a bad connection on one or more people in the game, or due to the game being released yesterday and so many people downloading/playing at the same time.

Frame Skipping: Most likely caused by inadequate RAM/CPU power/video card

Resolution: I don't know the likely cause of this, but what's the point in playing higher than 720p, anyway? Barely any difference.

Tip Popups: Likely a bug. Should be fixed soon, I'll assume.

Push-To-Talk: Can't expect The Behemoth to think of everything, can we? Xbox isn't PTT. You can always mute your mic, as well.

DLC Clarification: I'm not sure on this one. I'm assuming Necromancer and King are probably in the game already, unsure about Alien.

Volleyball: I heard this wasn't very popular with fans, hence why you can never find games online anymore?

Pricing: Castle Crashers is STILL number one on Xbox. The price really shouldn't be any different than the console price. I'm going express my opinion on this and say that many PC gamers get really upset if they don't get games at a cheaper price. I don't understand why, but that's how it is. Why not just spend less than twenty bucks, have some fun, and know you're supporting a good company?

Hopefully I was able to help out a little bit

DLC Clarification: I'm not sure on this one. I'm assuming Necromancer and King are probably in the game already, unsure about Alien.

I can safely say alien is in the game since I have him, I aswell assume necro and king are in because 1, they were in the ps3 version and 2 there are no buy-able packs for them so unless they took them out or are waiting to release them I think it's safe to say they're in too.

I'm going to address issues with my knowledge of computers, because some of those things aren't The Behemoth's fault, and some are, well, yeah.

Online Lag: That is more than likely caused by either a bad connection on one or more people in the game, or due to the game being released yesterday and so many people downloading/playing at the same time.

Resolution: I don't know the likely cause of this, but what's the point in playing higher than 720p, anyway? Barely any difference.

Push-To-Talk: Can't expect The Behemoth to think of everything, can we? Xbox isn't PTT. You can always mute your mic, as well.

Volleyball: I heard this wasn't very popular with fans, hence why you can never find games online anymore?

Pricing: Castle Crashers is STILL number one on Xbox. The price really shouldn't be any different than the console price. I'm going express my opinion on this and say that many PC gamers get really upset if they don't get games at a cheaper price. I don't understand why, but that's how it is. Why not just spend less than twenty bucks, have some fun, and know you're supporting a good company?

I'm sorry, but I can't take anything you say seriously when you say there is "barely any difference" between 720p and resolutions higher than that.

Edited by Giraffey

I'm sorry, but I can't take anything you say seriously when you say there is "barely any difference" between 720p and resolutions higher than that.

You don't have to take me seriously, then. I know lots about computers, and I know for a fact that everyone I know can't even tell a difference between 720p and 1080p the majority of the time. If you don't want to accept anything I say, fine, but that's kind of a dumb reason not to accept anything I said as an answer.

1280x720 same of 1920x1080?

921.600 vs 2.073.600, you miss 1.152.000 pixels xD

Console player and normal people don't care about it, but PC players notice that, sorry.

Hope TheBehemoth is working on this, i really love this game :D

1280x720 same of 1920x1080?

921.600 vs 2.073.600, you miss 1.152.000 pixels xD

Console player and normal people don't care about it, but PC players notice that, sorry.

Hope TheBehemoth is working on this, i really love this game :D

That's the problem, then. Haven't built my computer yet, and haven't actually experienced a computer at 720p and then 1080p. It's not noticeable on consoles, then.

In order to make it compatible with 1080p, would they then have to go back and redo pretty much all of the art in the entire game? Since it doesn't make a difference on console, they probably made the game in 720p. Porting it to computer leaves it in 720p. That's why it's stretched.

Ok first off... Joined the forums to ask WTF...

This game is probly one of THE worst ports of a game I have ever seen. I am shocked this got by any quality standards Steam has...

* It wont use any gamepads minus the 360 pad (making my fave logitech pad useless without 3rd party programs),

* Online is... well.. bugged up.. My internet is top notch and never an issue.

* Playing online is more made for console gamers with huge friends lists and less for casual PC gamers.

* I unplugged my Mic simply because no Push to Talk and loud balloon PC mic's is deadly...

* Resolution stretches above 720p... What PC gamers plays with a res that low?

* Everything from messages to game buttons are right from X-box... and worst yet when someone server dies you get this "You have been disconnected from Xbox Live".... ummmm this is a joke right? plz tell me you guys are pulling our legs here...

I feel MORE then ripped off... enough to make an account on Behemoths forums in hopes they see this and do something about this. Everyone I know who bought the game on steam are beyond angry right now. Many are looking into refunds (myself included).

If a patch does not come out soon I dont see this company having many people wanting to purchase any more PC games from them.

This game needs to be fixed up for PC gaming, thats what a PC port is. Instead you have given us a X-Box clone in every way possible.

One last thing.....

My friends and I use our TVs as monitors. We don;'t have money for monitors.

Why on earth would you be talking like you know all about resolution and computers WHEN YOU DONT EVEN OWN A MONITOR!?!?!

I know lots about computers, and I know for a fact that everyone I know can't even tell a difference between 720p and 1080p the majority of the time.

Ummm srry but dude.. dont talk like you know all and then admit you have no experience with the topic and know nothing because you dont use a monitor...

In order to make it compatible with 1080p, would they then have to go back and redo pretty much all of the art in the entire game?

Yes, it is.

And this never happen i think.

But look at this:

castle2012092800260938.png

(i don't know how to /spoiler the image)

It's a screen from my game, played in 1080.

Bodies are """ok""", but some of the textures seems too blurry, like the faces in this pic.

This could be easily fixed, i think... i hope .__.

Edited by Dag_01

In order to make it compatible with 1080p, would they then have to go back and redo pretty much all of the art in the entire game?

Yes, it is.

But look at this:

*picture*

Bodies are """ok""", but some of the textures seems too blurry, like the faces in this pic.

Honestly, I don't see anything that would really bug me. If it were a full retail game, sure it would, but at it's price, doesn't bother me. Besides, you're moving for 95% of the game anyway, you can't tell as easily, then.

Yes, it is.

But look at this:

castle2012092800260938.png

Doesn't make much sense to me as to why it's like this. Some of the art assets scale beautifully while others just look plain bad. With a game of this magnitude all the art assets should of been made in some type of vector format for proper scaling without this ugly distortion/blurriness. For those that can't see it or don't understand, look how sharp and crisp the weapons look in the characters hands, now compare it to the character themselves.

Edited by Giraffey

Doesn't make much sense to me as to why it's like this. Some of the art assets scale beautifully while others just look plain bad. With a game of this magnitude all the art assets should of been made in some type of vector format for proper scaling without this ugly distortion/blurriness. For those that can't see it or don't understand, look how sharp and crisp the weapons look in the characters hands, now compare it to the character themselves.

I have the answer, but I feel like I'd cause some sort of argument by saying why it's like that. If someone artistically talented feels like commenting, or Dan if you read this, an answer would be much appreciated.

I was really suprised they didn't just include the dlc in the game, especially since it's $15

The DLC profits go to charity.

This isnt the first complaint I have seen about this though. People tend to have negative feelings towards developers that provide day 1 dlc (because tbh, most of the time it is profit driven), and because it is all released on the same day (unlike psn and xbla) people are less likely to actually click on the page for the seperate dlc to see that its for charity.

We are talking about PC, and on PC you could always pick controler you like. I dont want to write which controler is the best and why or argue why I dont like the xbox one, it is just that there are a lot of shapes that may fit different people, and not supporting something so basic for a PC game is a big no.

I know lots about computers

If you knew a lot about computers then you wouldnt reffer to resolutions as 720p or 1080p, but let me tell you why people bring it up. You see LCD monitors have only one native resolution, and if you have 1920x1200 native resolution, playing in a different one will decrease screen quality. On the other hand however if you take a low resolution picture and stretch it to fit a bigger one there will be even bigger drop in quality.

There is also a matter of aspect ratio, as your 720p is a tv widescreen 16:9, while 1920x1200 is more traditional PC widescreen 16:10. Well the game allows you to change resolutions without deforming everything on screen. Not all players may welcome black bars introduced with it, but at least screen isnt deformed. It is a quite common thing with recent 2D games, and it is especialy an issue for those who still use CRT screens, and there are some that simply have to use them.

Well. Man. CC on Steam is looking a little bumpy, but I would encourage everyone to stick with it and give The Behemoth some time. They're a great company who have a lot of care for their fans. I think it is very important to consider how much The Behemoth has going on right now. They're working on Battleblock Theatre, and taking their time on it so it will be a great game just like Castle Crashers. This is even though the fans are quite impatient. In addition to this, they still found time to host another ToC for us, and when there were server problems, they postponed the tournament and made sure people had their fair chance to gain entry. All the while, they're trying to port CC over to Steam. I'm not excusing all the mistakes in the port, but think about how many times the fans have suggested something and the Behemoth has responded. I don't know of any popular gaming companies like The Behemoth that have someone as high up as Dan who keeps in constant contact with his fans, and keeps them extremely updated. He already clarified on the subject of the DLC issues and stated that they're going to update and fix some of the games other issues.(mic and button prompts) Cut them some slack and give them some time. Everyone is gonna make some mistakes once and a while.

We are talking about PC, and on PC you could always pick controler you like. I dont want to write which controler is the best and why or argue why I dont like the xbox one, it is just that there are a lot of shapes that may fit different people, and not supporting something so basic for a PC game is a big no.

I know lots about computers

If you knew a lot about computers then you wouldnt reffer to resolutions as 720p or 1080p, but let me tell you why people bring it up. You see LCD monitors have only one native resolution, and if you have 1920x1200 native resolution, playing in a different one will decrease screen quality. On the other hand however if you take a low resolution picture and stretch it to fit a bigger one there will be even bigger drop in quality.

There is also a matter of aspect ratio, as your 720p is a tv widescreen 16:9, while 1920x1200 is more traditional PC widescreen 16:10. Well the game allows you to change resolutions without deforming everything on screen. Not all players may welcome black bars introduced with it, but at least screen isnt deformed. It is a quite common thing with recent 2D games, and it is especialy an issue for those who still use CRT screens, and there are some that simply have to use them.

You took a pretty big step in trying to prove me wrong or something. I know the difference in aspect ratios. I was using 720p and 1080p to simplify my message. No reason for me to get technical, especially when I was also comparing console to PC. You have no right to say I don't know a lot about computers, just because I didn't get technical like you'd prefer. And knowing about computers and different resolutions are completely different. You could know the inside of a computer like the back of your hand and not know anything about the different specs of a monitor and what resolution is what.

You know what, though? I'm not going to prove myself to you. I know what I know, I don't need to prove to anyone that I have an extensive knowledge of computers.

Good day to you.

The online lag is not due to inadaquacy in computer or internet. I have Much much more than the recommended specs and 40mb/s down 10mb/s up and still have lag when hosting and with others connected with similar internet.

You guys need to take that bickering to PM"s, no one cares.

As for the thread, I caved and bought the game and DLC at full price (bought this game 3 times now ;p) because of this post. Looks like they are working to fix some of the problems, so sit tight and hope for the best.

Edited by Giraffey