Sign in to follow this  
Trinica

All Data Deleted

Hi, I started playing a few weeks ago (I'm on the PC version). I created a game lobby with my friend today, we were in the middle of the final boss and for some reason we both got kicked. I was then unable to recreate the game. I restarted Castle Crashers, created a new lobby, and got to the character selection screen - only to find that all of my characters had been erased and all my data was gone.

I read The Forgotten Knight's forum post on save data loss and I will note that I did NOT move past the character selection screen, however I cannot get my characters or any save data to reappear. I have restarted the game, my PC, and Steam numerous times, but to no avail. How can I retrieve my characters? I'm getting pretty frustrated that I can no longer play the game. =/

Can anyone help me out?

Oh no! It might have been a sync issue with your local saves and Steam cloud saves. Not sure if you can still do this, but for future reference:

If you lose data due to being kicked out of game or off steam while in gameplay here is how to retain you save data. When you launch the game if you notice that at the character select screen or map that you are missing levels, character, or money shut down the game. Then close steam to force a resync between your local save and you steam cloud save. Do not enter into gameplay and finish a stage or you local data save will change to reflect current progress and when the data resyncs it will go with the most recent local save.

I attempted this solution, but I still could not retrieve the data. I have restarted Steam and my PC multiple times - no dice. Is it really safe to go to the map screen? I've been looking around the forums and it seems that I can't go past the character selection screen or my data will be permanently deleted. I have yet to move past the character selection screen, yet my data will still not reappear.

Is there anything else I can do? I'd love to get back to playing today, but I don't want completely start over after spending 4 hours playing yesterday. I just don't want to have completely wasted all of that time. =/

Go to

c://programfiles//steam//userdata/yourprofileid/204360/remote/cc_save.dat

inside you'll find your savedata, right click on it and click properties, then go to previous versions tab, and search for the latest version you had with your save and restore it, when the game starts it'll ask you where it wants to sync the save from, you're going to want to sync it from the cloud I believe (however make a backup of your regular save beforehand and the cloud save)

Edited by TheRedKnight93

Go to

c://programfiles//steam//userdata/yourprofileid/204360/remote/cc_save.dat

inside you'll find your savedata, right click on it and click properties, then go to previous versions tab, and search for the latest version you had with your save and restore it, when the game starts it'll ask you where it wants to sync the save from, you're going to want to sync it from the cloud I believe (however make a backup of your regular save beforehand and the cloud save)

I tried this but there was only one version of savedata, I had no way to revert to a previous version. =[

If you right clicked on it, viewed properties and went to previous versions and there was no other points to restore to, then your data is probably gone, there should be previous version though; everytime the file is overwritten windows should normally make a copy of it

If you right clicked on it, viewed properties and went to previous versions and there was no other points to restore to, then your data is probably gone, there should be previous version though; everytime the file is overwritten windows should normally make a copy of it

I just received a reply from the support staff in my e-mail saying that the data is gone and I will have to start over.....What a waste of time. =/

Does anyone at least have tips for preventing this from happening again? I don't feel comfortable playing until I know exactly WHY my data was inexplicably erased.....

Well after some searching I noticed they only have a save file on the cloud portion, and no save file locally on your computer (and no save serverside, meaning if we ever lost our data they would have a backup somewhere on their server)

So this led me to conclude that if there's ever a sync error/you lost connection etc, the game may fail to sync or you may have forced shut down etc etc and this resulted in lost data; and since there is no local save pretty much the data probably didn't save.

So this may in fact be the issue, for example a game like dungeon defenders has save data in a few places

1) It has a local save for you

2) It has a save on the cloud

3) They have a save server side

The local save is @: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dungeon defenders\Binaries\Win32\dundefheroes.dun

While the cloud is @: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\xxxxxxxxx\65800\remote\dundefheroes.dun

And then they have a server side save, in case you ever lose your data; you can e-mail them and they will restore your save on the cloud, which then when you start up your game, steam will ask, "the save you have on file doesn't match the save on the cloud, where do you want to sync your data from, local, or cloud?" picking cloud would then restore your data because they restored the data server side onto the cloud

This is just a guess, but it's all I could come up with

Edited by TheRedKnight93

Okay, that pretty much explains it then, I figured there would be a server-side save file to retrieve data from though. The fact that the only save file that exists is the Steam Cloud file is a bit scary to tell you the truth.

So do you think copying my savedata file from the remote folder in my userdata after each play session would ensure a backup of my data? Or am I solely in the hands of fate?

That would definitely back-up your data, also if you right click on the game and go to properties, you can actually specifically disable steam-cloud with that title, and you can just do all the backups manually like that.. (however I'm not sure if that would work if you disabled it, seeing as the only save file I'm seeing is literally on the steam folder that syncs with cloud)

Well after some searching I noticed they only have a save file on the cloud portion, and no save file locally on your computer (and no save serverside, meaning if we ever lost our data they would have a backup somewhere on their server)

So this led me to conclude that if there's ever a sync error/you lost connection etc, the game may fail to sync or you may have forced shut down etc etc and this resulted in lost data; and since there is no local save pretty much the data probably didn't save.

So this may in fact be the issue, for example a game like dungeon defenders has save data in a few places

1) It has a local save for you

2) It has a save on the cloud

3) They have a save server side

The local save is @: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dungeon defenders\Binaries\Win32\dundefheroes.dun

While the cloud is @: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\xxxxxxxxx\65800\remote\dundefheroes.dun

And then they have a server side save, in case you ever lose your data; you can e-mail them and they will restore your save on the cloud, which then when you start up your game, steam will ask, "the save you have on file doesn't match the save on the cloud, where do you want to sync your data from, local, or cloud?" picking cloud would then restore your data because they restored the data server side onto the cloud

This is just a guess, but it's all I could come up with

Could you tell me please e-mail that is sent?, Is that the same thing happened to me with the KOF XIII