Sign in to follow this  
PSHYCOCHIPMUNK

Windows 8.

With the new release date of 12/26/12, the newest update to the OS Windows will soon be arriving. I'm pretty sure I wont be buying it and I don't want to buy a computer with Windows 8 on it. Let's hear what you guys think of Windows 8.

Edited by PSHYCOCHIPMUNK

I'm just going to stick with windows seven. I have no idea what the difference is between them and my family is getting low on money and I need money to buy games, we ain't got the money for this new fangled windows thingimahoos!

I've been running it since the RP and currently on the enterprise eval x64, and it's been very stable, even gaming. I honestly didn't like it at first with the missing start menu, but I slowly realized I rarely ever used it besides things like shutdown/restart. I've always had desktop shortcuts and pinned apps on the taskbar. As for the new metro interface in 8, it isn't ideal for desktop use, but it works. I personally stay away from running anything inside metro. I just use the new start screen as an app launcher with all my used programs pinned to it and run everything through the desktop. For the limited time $40 promotional upgrade price, I will most likely be buying it as there are quite a few new improvements over windows 7. If I had to pay full retail price, I would be sticking with Windows 7.

Hold on a sec guys, I'll tell you right here, right now that Windows 8 is not a bad thing. Sure, it may carry some, or a lot of bugs with it in terms of compatibility, but doesn't everything when progressing in the name of innovation? Sure, every single thing about the Metro UI is increasingly horrifying to any user that may try to use this new OS, but once you get rid of that and re-enable the windows button using programs such as 'Start8', you can get back to using what is essentially Windows 7, but with an incredible optimization improvement. Windows 8 is surprisingly fast when you get down to it. (And don't complain about having to 'Buy' start8, there are plenty of pirates around the internet.)

Interesting to hear some good things about Win8 from those who have had some decent hands-on time with it. I'll probably go with it for the next machine I build.

I like Windows 8 mostly because of the hardware optimization improvements.

Also, you don't really need a touchscreen if you have a multitouch trackpad. From my experience it works pretty well.

Also, you don't really need a touchscreen if you have a multitouch trackpad. From my experience it works pretty well.

ROY!  I thought you left forever again!

Looking back at my post here, I laugh at the old me.  The me now wouldn't touch Windows 8 with a ten foot pole.  I'm building a desktop, I don't need touchscreen interface getting in the way of me trying to play video games.

ROY!  I thought you left forever again!

Looking back at my post here, I laugh at the old me.  The me now wouldn't touch Windows 8 with a ten foot pole.  I'm building a desktop, I don't need touchscreen interface getting in the way of me trying to play video games.

It's the easiest interface in the world, you also don't need a touch screen to use it well, the metro interface is perfectly compatible by just using the scroller on your mouse.

Also there's a desktop button that just takes you straight to what is essentially Windows 7. I've had windows 8 since launch, it's faster, prettier, and I haven't had a single problem with it.