Sign in to follow this  
FXUHippie

NoobToob Review for Castle Crashers (Two Thumbs Down)

preach on!

i'm noticing a trend here of accusations saying we didn't test, or knowingly released a game with problems. i'm rather certain microsoft will not allow a release of a game that doesn't work. nor would we ever allow that under any circumstances! both of us had test teams for a very long time, testing away all kinds of weird scenarios.

the game was performing solid as a rock. no problems of data loss or disconnects cropped up. not a single one!

something is definitely different in the mix here - whether it is that development/test kits do not use the same hardware as retail or the retail network behaves differently from the seperate test network, or the sheer stress of that many players added to it (which in that scenario is impossible to test unless there are 250,000 people playing castle crashers on the test network). something is clearly different as the game plays different than i have ever experienced.

i'm not personally sure what it is, as i just draw and stuff, but to say we didn't test the game is just incorrect. my co-workers are very amazing, intelligent people that all pull a gigantic amount of weight and work weekends. we'd never allow a game in this current state to leave the door had it shown any signs of being that way. we played for 6 hour stints with absolutely no network errors for months under many different network conditions.

in the end, yeah we all take responsibility for it and we are all sorry it happened. my explanation is not an excuse, just a heads up that we did infact test the crap out of this. it should not be automatically be assumed a game had no testing if it shows up with bugs.

LOVE

DAN

preach on!

i'm noticing a trend here of accusations saying we didn't test, or knowingly released a game with problems. i'm rather certain microsoft will not allow a release of a game that doesn't work. nor would we ever allow that under any circumstances! both of us had test teams for a very long time, testing away all kinds of weird scenarios.

the game was performing solid as a rock. no problems of data loss or disconnects cropped up. not a single one!

something is definitely different in the mix here - whether it is that development/test kits do not use the same hardware as retail or the retail network behaves differently from the seperate test network, or the sheer stress of that many players added to it (which, in that scenario, is impossible to test unless there are 250,000 people playing castle crashers on the test network). my suspicion is that something is clearly different as the game plays different than i have ever experienced.

i'm not personally sure what it is, as i just draw and stuff, but to say we didn't test the game is just incorrect. my co-workers are very amazing, intelligent people that all pull a gigantic amount of weight and work weekends. we'd never allow a game in this current state to leave the door had it shown any signs of being that way. we played for 6 hour stints with absolutely no network errors for months under many different network conditions.

in the end, yeah we all take responsibility for it and we are all sorry it happened. my explanation is not an excuse, just a heads up that we did infact test the crap out of this. it should not be automatically be assumed a game had no testing if it shows up with bugs.

LOVE

DAN

I always had faith in you guys. Sure: I'm not playing online at the moment, but that's not stopping me from inviting 3 friends over, buying some chips and pop and having an awesome Castle Crashers run... 3 nights in a row with different people every time. :P This game has already given me probably about 30-40 hours of entertainment for 15 dollars when I can't say the same for some 60 dollar games that are sitting on my shelf.

Keep up the good work guys and don't let the accusations and complaints get you down.

i probably woulda cried if i helped make an awesome game and that/this happened, but that's just me, at least you're takin it like a man, we all know it failed online for zero good reasons (we're told). that's just what happens sometimes, it's not like yall have 156 games under your belt with flawless online play. patch please *holds out hand for however long it takes) lol

preach on!

something is definitely different in the mix here - whether it is that development/test kits do not use the same hardware as retail or the retail network behaves differently from the seperate test network, or the sheer stress of that many players added to it (which, in that scenario, is impossible to test unless there are 250,000 people playing castle crashers on the test network).

LOVE

DAN

yeah it was under development for over 3 years(according to everyone) , you cant even assume that a game like this hadnt been tested on. same thing happened with cod4 when christmas hit. That game crashed like plane piloted by

steven siegal. And of Course that game had been tested, beta tested, probly delta tested too. But eventually it rose up again and was the most played game on xbl so yea....

I think what a lot of people are misinterpreting is the two thumbs down...

yuzo and tobin don't use a number scaled review system, just a thumps up, or a thumps down. And it generally just means you should buy it, you shouldn't. 2 thumbs down doesn't mean exactly 5/10 or something, but it just means you shouldn't buy it due to the current online problems.

And I'm not putting games down because it has no online element. Look at bioshock, oblivion, half-life 2, all brilliant single player games. I'm beating down on castle crashers because, in all honesty, it's a game designed for multiplayer, especially online with xbox-live.

In all regards it's not a bad game, with its full potential and polish for the campaign to the arenas, this a game thats prob better than 80% retail games.

But like they said, noobtoob will re-review the game when the new patch comes out.

IMO noobtoob is a pretty reliable source, since it's coming from real, unsposored gamers, so you don't have some gamespot scandal or gametrailers fiascas dismissing mgs4 as "boring".

The only games I have ever disagreed with them is crackdown (wtf it's not that great...), gta4 (a great game...until the 10 hour mark), and Prey.

It's sad but I kind of have to agree.

good to see yall aren't that hardcore to defend a game that actually has problems but hey nothing's perfect, and that's what reviewers want: perfection... but anyways, im on the flooded temple normal if somebody wants ta play with me :-P

I am standing up for Castle Crashers solely because its an excellent game.

The review itself is...garbage.

They do not focus on any gameplay, achievements, weapons, animal orbs, play length...nothing...

Though the online problem is worth mentioning, it should NOT be the focus of the review. That video was more like a preview, than a review.

I've never had a problem playing Multiplayer.

You see, I don't have a Gold Account. I'm on a pretty fixed budget, and I only play Castle Crashers in person, with my friends.

This is pretty much the best thing on Earth. Four friends, four knights, one couch.

Besides, this way when someone kills you at the last second and gets to kiss the red princess, you get to punch him in the arm.

They really aren't judging the game itself, they couldn't see past their own experience to the game that was actually there, and that game is brilliant.

good to see yall aren't that hardcore to defend a game that actually has problems but hey nothing's perfect, and that's what reviewers want: perfection... but anyways, im on the flooded temple normal if somebody wants ta play with me :-P

They do not focus on any gameplay, achievements, weapons, animal orbs, play length...nothing...

Though the online problem is worth mentioning, it should NOT be the focus of the review. That video was more like a preview, than a review.

just lagged out 3 times before completion of an insane boss online with one guy with me... i had to replay 3 lvls on the map 3 times because the "fun-element" is Broken... now it's a "pissed-element" like holding a milkbone in front of a doggy and makin them wait a couple months before giving. *holds out hand for patch

with patch and well working online features, game = 9.7 out of 10 imo

without patch and with broken online play game = 6.2 out of 10 imo cuz i get pissed a lot cuz i wanna play online only

optimism included: 7.7 out of 10 cuz 2 players online works fine sometimes (but i want 4 players like the game teases)

so yeah i agree with their review, its good, its funny, if you dont agree, then you dont understand how important an online game's 'online' should be upon arrival, but they'll fix it, im still pissed about repeating the same damn lvls 3 times each times 3 because the cyclops boss on insane is a laggy piece of sh1t.

but yeah, i love this game, play it all day, unlocked all characters cept the alien, just venting cuz i try to do what it wont allow but should allow, ya know?

just lagged out 3 times before completion of an insane boss online with one guy with me... i had to replay 3 lvls on the map 3 times because the "fun-element" is Broken... now it's a "pissed-element" like holding a milkbone in front of a doggy and makin them wait a couple months before giving. *holds out hand for patch

This isn't fair, because if they had the patch for you today, they wouldn't wave it in front of your face, they would give it to you.

Believe me, no one takes the online problems more seriously than the Castle Crashers team themselves.

This isn't fair, because if they had the patch for you today, they wouldn't wave it in front of your face, they would give it to you.

Believe me, no one takes the online problems more seriously than the Castle Crashers team themselves.

but you see, they had a Game, they gave it to us yesterday incinuating certain things available today. but instead we're left with a wait until tomorrow to receive the same stuff the game shoulda gave us yesterday. honestly, on xboxlive arcade marketplace when you scroll down to buy the game it should say ''Game temporarily has online issues, buyer beware!''

(italic texts refer to indefinite times)

of course, im just flaming because im an idiot. you know i love this friggin game

no game should be reviewed on achievements.

It's not like they completely shitted on the game, they said the game was polished as hell, but the playibility function is loveed.

news flash! less lag if you have private xbox chats instead of game-chats while in-game! (i think) well, im pure online-play type of guy, so excuuuuuuse me if i agree with the dudes from the review whom i can relate to (ps: its beer and burrito night by myself tonight!) message me if you wanna do some insane mode, im on cyclops cave, and/or the lvl right after pipi. 2 player - private chat - ownage. *how's that patch coming along?

news flash! less lag if you have private xbox chats instead of game-chats while in-game! (i think) well, im pure online-play type of guy, so excuuuuuuse me if i agree with the dudes from the review whom i can relate to (ps: its beer and burrito night by myself tonight!) message me if you wanna do some insane mode, im on cyclops cave, and/or the lvl right after pipi. 2 player - private chat - ownage. *how's that patch coming along?

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and I don't begrudge you that, but at this point it just seems like you're out to start a fight. You've stated numerous times how much you are disappointed in the online component of the game and that you are anxiously awaiting the patch. You've made it very clear that you agree with the review that spawned this whole topic. You've also said that you enjoy the game, but it seems to me like your continued "beating of the dead horse" is not just redundant, it's disrespectful. While I'm not necessarily accusing you of forgetting this, I want all of us to remember how great of an accomplishment this game is for Dan, Tom, and the rest of the crew- even with its current issues. I'm not advocating fanboy blindness, but I am asking for respect for their past hard work (that shows every time I play the game) and for their current hard work in getting this patch to us as soon as possible. It will come, and in the mean time we have a very enjoyable game. There's no reason to keep "poking the developers with a stick" and trying to make them feel bad for something that was obviously beyond their control.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and I don't begrudge you that, but at this point it just seems like you're out to start a fight. You've stated numerous times how much you are disappointed in the online component of the game and that you are anxiously awaiting the patch. You've made it very clear that you agree with the review that spawned this whole topic. You've also said that you enjoy the game, but it seems to me like your continued "beating of the dead horse" is not just redundant, it's disrespectful. While I'm not necessarily accusing you of forgetting this, I want all of us to remember how great of an accomplishment this game is for Dan, Tom, and the rest of the crew- even with its current issues. I'm not advocating fanboy blindness, but I am asking for respect for their past hard work (that shows every time I play the game) and for their current hard work in getting this patch to us as soon as possible. It will come, and in the mean time we have a very enjoyable game. There's no reason to keep "poking the developers with a stick" and trying to make them feel bad for something that was obviously beyond their control.

agreed, understood. im sorry. for realz

"how do you do that. how do you be so lazy"

A review is a review and I generally won't jump online and say anything about how anyone reviews us, but to blatantly accuse our entire team of being lazy???? That's just a little moronic. I'm sorry but these guys don't know us, they don't know how hard we work on our games and if you're going to make a blanket statement like that please have some more evidence to support it rather than just opening your mouth before thinking.

It's one thing to accuse me of being lazy, as I headed up our internal test team for this title, but to call the entire team lazy, people that I've seen work their collective asses off for years to make a game we all really love and dedicated A LOT into. Just sad really how detached these two are. I really don't know them, and after an insult like that I really don't care to know them either. As far as the last part of their video about how "they would gladly review the title after the title update" You know what, no thanks.

-Emil-

Emil I Would not worry about a stupid You tube reveiw all games aren't flawless when released. Take BF:BC for example They had the "Boosters" Take COD4 For example They have "Boosters" also Don't worry about those guys :D i havend played another single game seince i bought this game. :lol:

Emil I Would not worry about a stupid You tube reveiw all games aren't flawless when released. Take BF:BC for example They had the "Boosters" Take COD4 For example They have "Boosters" also Don't worry about those guys :D i havend played another single game seince i bought this game. :lol:

I'm not worried about the review at all I just don't take insults very lightly, directed to me or those who I respect. Thanks for your comment though, appreciate it.

Just take the review as the words of two people who don't have any friends to play with while they're waiting the title update. Those of us who have friends to invite over with chips and pop and stuff are completely enjoying this game and are grateful because your team has just revived "couch gaming". Ever since I got a 360, I haven't had a reason to invite some guys over and game out because I could just play with them and more of them on Live, but this game has shown me what I've been missing all this time.

I'm not worried about the review at all I just don't take insults very lightly, directed to me or those who I respect. Thanks for your comment though, appreciate it.

I'm pretty much done posting in this topic , but I wanted to say one more thing beforehand as a boost to Emil and the rest of the Behemoth crew: I have been excited for Castle Crashers since the beginning of 2007 when I caught my first glimpse of the game. In fact, Castle Crashers is the whole reason I bought a 360...seriously. At that time the game was supposed to come out in May of 2007, so in March I sold a lot of stuff on eBay and bought my 360 in anticipation. Now, 1 1/2 years later I finally have the game and I love it...and it was more than worth the wait. This might sound overly fanboyish to many of you, but I'd still buy a 360 solely to play this game. Thanks for giving me my money's worth guys.