Sign in to follow this  
TheTPRI

Greedy Game Companies!

I made this to discuss our disdain for those who shake our wallets before shaking our hands. Many game companies have different tactics, some have worked more than others. Here are my top 3 most greedy game companies:

Electronic Arts was founded in 1982. It is a company with similar tactics to Activision, and although the quality of their content generally shows improvement, not all of them do. Electronic Arts is known for their multiple sports games, and games such as Dead Space, Shank, Ty The Tasmanian Tiger, Mass Effect, FUSE, Battlefield and so on. Although Electronic Arts is usually the publisher of these products, they are given more recognition than the actual creators of this content. The advertising of Electronic Arts products is less than that of Activision, however that does not mean they are any less known of than them. On the contrary, Activision sued Electronic Arts for believing they associated with one of Activisions branches without their permission. Despite how well Electronic Arts content is, that does not change the fact it is still a major revenue earning company who still puts business just a little bit more over its customers. Electronic Arts slightly better quality is what makes them stay very well in business.

As most people may or may not know, the gaming company known as Activision, which was founded in 1979, has became a tycoon company. Activision is known for its development of multiple games ranging from Spider-Man to Guitar Hero. The most acclaimed video game currently being its “Call of Duty” series, which is now being released on a yearly basis. The promotion of Activision games is what makes their sales continues to do so well, however the quality of these games are usually the same as the last, and to add insulted to injury, the extra content needed for these games must always be paid for, usually ranging around fifteen dollars each for scarce and repetitive content (at least for the Call of Duty series). Activision has been able to buy out at least one company and one gaming intellectual property with the money they have received. The Crash Bandicoot and Spyro series (originally owned by companies Naughty Dog and Insomniac Games) had been revised once Activision bought them, the reasons for their doing this still remains unknown. Activision has also bought out companies such as Radical Entertainment and Blizzard (known for their famous computer game “World of Warcraft”). Activision currently shares its name with Blizzard and continues its profession of making several amounts of money on content.

Capcom, previously known, as “Capsule Computers” is a Japanese game creating and publishing company founded in 1983. Capcom has created many games that are considered “classic” considered to current modern games, these titles include the Megaman, Dead Rising, Devil May Cry, Street Fighter, and Resident Evil series. While the idea behind each game is well thought out, and the execution at times nicely done, the marketing is usually terrible, often being dragged out to the point that the same product will be rereleased another one or two times. Examples include Devil May Cry 3, which was later rereleased as Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition, Street Fighter 4, which was rereleased as Super Street Fighter 4 and then Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition and the final example being Resident Evil 5 to Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition. Many game companies have a tendency to announce a Special, Limited, or Collectors Edition before a games release to save their consumers money, however Capcom doing the opposite has resulted in people cursing them and their products and they slowly appear to be losing their consumers trusts. Aside from the base content provided by Capcom, the extra content is about as expensive (if not, then more) than Activisions. People who have bought recent Capcom games have complained about their games “Disc-Locked Content”, as you now have to pay for on-disc content to be playable after buying the original game. The controversy with this being that on-disc is technically being paid for twice, some people understand this factor and still support the company. Capcom is slowly, but surely running itself out of business.

Now I'd like to take a minute and say which companies I DO support:

Naughty Dog, has been with me since my childhood. I have not missed one series by them, having played Crash Bandicoot, Jak & Daxter, Uncharted and the soon to be "The Last Of Us" game. Despite starting out their first game balloon a parody of a Sonic game (Sonics balloon adventure, which became Crash Bandicoot and possibly the reason why Crash's pants are still blue), they have gained tons of fans and respect for their creative content.

Insomniac (despite their creation of the Spyro the Dragon series) first caught my attention with their Ratchet and Clank Series, the very first game I played where you can "BLOW $µ!† UP!" I honestly found this game more interesting than Jak and Daxter series because it offered more variety in weaponry and areas to travel. I've played almost every Ratchet and Clank game out there except for Secret Agent Clank (and the phone game if that counts). The Resistance series is a change from many First-Person Shooters in that you fight an alien race called the "Chimera," who is more than a match for the human race and managed the almost completely take over the world. Unfortunately, the Resistance series is underrated and Insomniac publicly (and personally told me) that they have cancelled their part of the series, meaning they either:

A. Halted the series completely

Or

B. Passed it on to another developer

And if you don't believe me, here's my proof:

345eq86.jpg

And last, but no where near least, the one company that give me hope for such mind-blowing content: SuperBot Entertainment. Hear me out, SuperBot has only one game out, that game being the one and only "Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale," this game has been in development for about three years, but this is one game I've been hoping for since I stopped playing Smash Bros. A 2.5D party fighting game like this for Playstation fans is my dream game. It's the only fighting game I can say I'm 100% good at also. Superbot shows that when you work hard and actually LISTEN to your fans, people will support you and your content. We've already had a patch for Sackboys overpowered abilities, and we're gonna have another for Nathan Drake, Kratos and Raiden. I messaged the workers at SuperBot just to tell them I love them. You want to know what else? They responded. Here's a private E-Mail I received from one of the worker on the game:

Hi C------,

Thank you for contacting us and for your interest in our game.

We really appreciate your kind words and enthusiasm. Our incredibly talented and creative crew are working ridiculously hard to make this game an awesome experience for you.

I think you are really going to enjoy playing the game.

We will have more news and reveals coming out throughout the summer. Please stay tuned.

Kind regards,

David

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 8:22 PM, Charell Davis <gamertag50@aol.com> wrote:

I'm not writing this to ask questions, I'm just writing this to say I love you!

I've been following this game since Paul Gale mentioned Title Fight, and I am really glad that SuperBot is making a party fighter. I'm not gonna lie, it does lean more toward Smash Bros. games, but ever since I've played Smash Bros., that game had to the one game that I could never seem to get my hands on (I always used to play it at my friends house). I always thought out of every fighting game, Smash Bros. had the most fun and re-playable mechanics. Of course I'm not really a Nintendo, I guess you could say I'm all Sony (Hell yeah!). But now, SuperBot, you guys, have made me so freaking happy and excited for this game! Mixing the best type of fighting gameplay styles (Smash Bros., Marvel Vs. Capcom, Mortal Kombat, etc.) with my favorite gaming company...It was only something us Sony fans could dream of until now, but you guys are making it a reality! Not to mention this is only you're first game and you've blown so many others away, you've quickly developed good bonds with other game companies like 2K Games (On the Big Daddy reveal), Namco Bandai (On the Heihachi reveal) and much more to come. I'm paying down on this game as soon as I have the chance, I'm also getting this first day.

Thank you.

P.S I hope I get to play against the creators of the game someday, to see if a player can actually take-on a maker. Haha.

--

David Yang

Director of Operations

SuperBot Entertainment

10395 Jefferson Blvd

Culver City, CA 90232

(310) 559-5585 office

(310) 498-1715 mobile

david@superbotentertainment.com

http://www.superbotentertainment.com/

SuperBot is only a branch of Sony Santa Monica Studios and to me they outrank many other game companies.

TL;DR

I saw that you named the three companies that I think are the greediest, as well, though. Electronic Arts is probably the worst offender nowadays. And whoever came up with the idea for an "Online Pass" to play a game online, is a freaking cynical genius. And I hate them for it. If you're an Xbox player, you're already paying to play online, why should you have to pay the game company to play as well?

One company I wish would have stayed around a lot longer was Whoopee Camp. If ANYONE knows this company without looking it up, I love you so very much. That's an example of a company that should be making games today, as it would make video games much more unique and fun to play, in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

I don't know who makes the Call of Duty series, but I feel they're just copying and pasting and getting millions and millions for it. (Sorry if Call of Duty was already mentioned, I mainly read the first 6 lines then went on to the games you do support.)

• Upvote 1

Ahh 'Fat Cats', even tho I do line their pockets, they're are a major problem in our society.. I mean, they get away with allsorts yet the common man gets stringed up yet has to bend themselves to their rules, crazy..

The companies you name, it's not their general staff like programmers, artists, blah blah, it's those good ol' chums at the top who charge what they want for whatever and fire who they like whenever...

• Upvote 1

Ahh 'Fat Cats', even tho I do line their pockets, they're are a major problem in our society.. I mean, they get away with allsorts yet the common man gets stringed up yet has to bend themselves to their rules, crazy..

The companies you name, it's not their general staff like programmers, artists, blah blah, it's those good ol' chums at the top who charge what they want for whatever and fire who they like whenever...

I really hope the people who actually make this content take a stand against the higher-ups for the content they created, because the price for such scarce products are outrageous. Why would you have people that make the content and then people who slap the price tags on the content (which of course they didn't lend any helping hand with)? If you ask me, the people who make the products know exactly how much it's worth, so let them pick the price for it.

What do you wanna achieve by making this thread?

That's a good question! I don't know yet.

Maybe someone could explain the reasons behind game companies business plans, maybe I'll make someone angry and stop supporting one of these cash vacuums. The type of angry that makes people do something. I've seen idiots that know they're getting ripped-off talk about it online (Capcom-Unity.com) and still have no problem with completing their game by buying the newest piece of Disc-Locked Content.

Urgh, my brain hates grammar...

anyway, Money, money and money. love the rest.

Sorry, didn't think you'd mind.

I want to study business now, just so I can found out why companies take the route they do. I mean, yeah it's for the money, money, money, but there has to be better alternatives for pleasing your consumers at the same time...

I want to study business now, just so I can found out why companies take the route they do. I mean, yeah it's for the money, money, money, but there has to be better alternatives for pleasing your consumers at the same time...

Now im scared, for real. My brain turned love to love.

WOW! The forums is playing a prank on me, you cant write the word "FU<K"

Edited by DataPack

whoawhoawhoa

slow down

you mean

to tell me

thatttt

companies only want us for our money?

Edited by mechazeep
  • Upvote 1

Tends to happen on family friendly forums...wouldn't want some little eight year old saying they learned swear words from here.

Tends to happen on family friendly forums...wouldn't want some little eight year old saying they learned swear words from here.

Even if it's everywhere around you (talking about the swear words).

If the kid has access to the internet he probably already fapsterbates.

whoawhoawhoa

slow down

you mean

to tell me

thatttt

Sure, joke about it, but that's not the exact point I'm trying to make.

You have companies that earn your money, and you have companies that swindle you out of money, for whatever reason. It could be poor quality content at a big expense, or little quantity content, that costs less individually, but that change still adds up.

Now, if you don't mind going deeper into this, by all means feel free to do so.

whoawhoawhoa

slow down

you mean

to tell me

thatttt

You have companies that earn your money, and you have companies that swindle you out of money, for whatever reason. It could be poor quality content at a big expense, or little quantity content, that costs less individually, but that change still adds up.

Bethesda, Bioware, Konami

EA, Activision, Capcom

Bethesda is my favorite game company, and has been since Morrowind. They take their time with games, and when I hear that they've released a new game, I pretty much buy it without even having to be convinced. The only game they've published that I personally thought was very "meh" was Brink. But if I recall correctly, they had nothing to do with the creation of the game, and only published it.

• Upvote 1

whoawhoawhoa

slow down

you mean

to tell me

thatttt

nobody needs video games

whoawhoawhoa

slow down

you mean

to tell me

thatttt

nobody needs video games

"People need something or someone to fasten themselves to in order to reassure themselves they are real"

-Ani Difranco

That quote is pretty irrelevant but my English teacher said it today and I felt this was a good opportunity to share

--go ahead, feel enlightened.

nobody needs video games

"People need something or someone to fasten themselves to in order to reassure themselves they are real"

-Ani Difranco

That quote is pretty irrelevant but my English teacher said it today and I felt this was a good opportunity to share

--go ahead, feel enlightened.

are you kidding, i <3 escapism

Edited by mechazeep

OK, video game publishers/developers I do and don't like.

ACTIVISION- I am greatly annoyed that COD games charge $60 for DLC, and also have achievements. Ugh! What a pain to pay $60 for Modern Warfare 3 DLC, then have to play through it even though the difficulty is way too high! Or the $60 Black Ops DLC. I don't want to play it! Furthermore, why do they not let prices on their games drop after a year or two? Seriously, best selling games, and Modern Warfare 2 took two years until it was at the $20 range. For quite some time they kept refusing to lower the price. What gives!

Well, maybe if I actually LOVED COD and Modern Warfare I wouldn't be so upset, but I don't care for them so much as others do.

Also hated for the achievements on Guitar Hero II and Guitar Hero III. Difficulty achievements are not stackable, co-op achievements can require local, achievements require you to master the game on expert and five star every song, etc. Ridiculous. Achievements shouldn't take over 100 hours ever. At least the Guitar Hero series lowered its prices quickly.

EA Games- Do they REALLY need to shut down servers? Does it take so much cost to just keep your leaderboards? I mean, really, now. And why shut down servers on games that require online play for achievements? This is rather upsetting to achievement hunters, and I am lucky not to be affected.

I agree with you on the claim that EA tries to take credit from the actual developers of the game.

Gearbox Software- Based in Plano, Texas? WIN! I love it. I love how their president, Randy Pitchford, actually talks to people on his Twitter about Borderlands 2. I love how they got lead writer Anthony Birch himself to do a live Q & A. I love how they do in game events. I love how they charge reasonable prices for DLC, and that they their collector's edition was actually amazing. I love how they really respond to their community of gamers. It's a smaller company that actually cares about you, yet still makes the best game of 2012. (Aside from Skyrim, perhaps, haven't played it).

The Behemoth- Of course! I love the Newgrounds.com community so much! I have been a part of it for probably seven years or so, and just love it. I mean, we really do have a subculture. We have all sorts of inside jokes, and flash artists more hilarious than anything you'll find in your average TV show. I also like how you recognise the staff in the games. For example, the first part of BattleBlock had Stamper narrating. Stamper! I love that guy! Or how one of the streets in Alien Hominid was named after April. What a cool inside joke Easter egg!

Lionhead Studios- I suppose what I like is the recognisability of Peter Molineux, and the way the Fable games have the morality system and a British humour. British games, yay! Also, I like that he left president of Microsoft Games Europe or whatever it was. I also like their behind the scenes very much!

Square Enix- Mixed feelings. I love some of the Final Fantasy games, but it's just one of those things where you need to learn Japanese to fully enjoy it. So, yeah, more encouragement to learn Japanese, really.

Game Freak- Classic games. Need to learn Japanese to play.

The Behemoth- Of course! I love the Newgrounds.com community so much! I have been a part of it for probably seven years or so, and just love it. I mean, we really do have a subculture. We have all sorts of inside jokes, and flash artists more hilarious than anything you'll find in your average TV show. I also like how you recognise the staff in the games. For example, the first part of BattleBlock had Stamper narrating. Stamper! I love that guy! Or how one of the streets in Alien Hominid was named after April. What a cool inside joke Easter egg!

It bugs me how their games take years to finish/port and I don't even have a 360. I'm feelin' kinda bad for you gamers on the Microsoft side.

Meh, don't be. Something you tend to get used to when waiting for indie games, is waiting. Whether it's for an update of minecraft, a new game or anything else, patience is a virtue. If you do not have the patience for it, then indie games aren't for you.

Now, for my fair share of info on this topic, I totally agree with the big game companies being asses. They've found out that people are willing to pay the same amount of money for a sequel which has the same content as all those before, only polished and with a new name. I'm afraid this will just stay this way (at least, with the big game companies,) until gamers decide to boycot those kind of productions. Guess what will never happen? Yeah, you guessed it right. Before this issue is fixed, we'll probably be at least 10/20 years later, when a new generation of managers enters the business, but that's not even an assurance that they will change the given concept to work with.

Gaming pretty much reached the valley of creativeness and the only companies who make up for this massive lack, are the smaller (often indie) game companies. I've already decided to stop buying those crappy games, I have Black Ops and until theyre going to do something mind-blowingly different, I'm sticking with that. 

Edited by Tomster1000

personally the only thing i can think of right now that shows some game companies being greedy is online passes. if your going to buy a used game to save $20 but then you realize you have to pay $20 for its online, it kinda sucks.

personally the only thing i can think of right now that shows some game companies being greedy is online passes. if your going to buy a used game to save $20 but then you realize you have to pay $20 for its online, it kinda sucks.

But that's the very reason online passes were created. Gaming companies don't make any money if you buy a game used.

Ironically, the people who complain about having to buy game passes because they buy used games, are one of the reasons that online passes were created.