Sign in to follow this  
Dropped Your Pocket

Everything Computers

Alright, I just realized there isn't a thread on computers anywhere that I could find, so I am making one.  As a huge lover of computers, I really hope there's a few people on here that I can totally nerd out with!

If you want to contribute, you can just by talking about computers (properly, that is).  I personally have built my own PC, and I love it so much more than I ever thought I would love an inanimate object.

So, discuss!  What kind of computer do you have?  What are the specs?  What OS are you running?  Are you building/have already built a computer yourself?

My list of parts:

Case:  Fractal Design Define R4

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition

MOBO:  Biostar T Overclocker TA970XE

RAM:  8GB G.SKILL Ripjaw X

PSU:  SILVERSTONE ST70F-ES 700W

GFX Card:  EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 FTW Signature 2

HDD:  Seagate Barracuda 500GB

:  Western Digital Black Drive 2TB

Optical:  Doesn't matter, it's a freaking disc drive

As far as I know, your build looks pretty good. Also, if you can afford it, I'd recommend getting an SSD (about 128gb would be good). Use that as the boot drive and a standard HDD for storage. All of your games, programs and files start up/load super fast. Not to mention, you wont ever have to wait more than 30 seconds for your computer to start. I get about 20 second startup times with my build.

Just a suggestion! I'm glad I got an ssd when I was building, so I thought I'd mention it.

Edited by colonel juju

As far as I know, your build looks pretty good. Also, if you can afford it, I'd recommend getting an SSD (about 128gb would be good). Use that as the boot drive and a standard HDD for storage. All of your games, programs and files start up/load super fast. Not to mention, you wont ever have to wait more than 30 seconds for your computer to start. I get about 20 second startup times with my build.

Just a suggestion! I'm glad I got an ssd when I was building, so I thought I'd mention it.

Good suggestion.  I was already thinking about buying an SSD to store my OS on, for, as you said, stupidly fast boot speeds.  My case has a spot on the back panel for an SSD, actually, so it'd be nice.  I would only be able to afford like 60GB, though, if I did buy one.

Yeah. The SSD is a tough sell for me right now. I like to have my OS and programs on one drive. And my data/pics/vids on my secondary with a clone.

Though an SSD does drastically improve performance, but if cost is an issue, and 60gb is all you can afford, I'd hold off for now. 

I got a 120gb SSD and tbh it's not worth putting money on SSD's at the moment, the only thing you save on it a couple of seconds on booting up or loading a game.. If you feel like your computer is slow just get a separate HDD for your OS..

I got a 120gb SSD and tbh it's not worth putting money on SSD's at the moment, the only thing you save on it a couple of seconds on booting up or loading a game.. If you feel like your computer is slow just get a separate HDD for your OS..

Well, my computer right now is slow as hell.  It's an eMachine from like 2003.  It has a whopping 512MB of RAM and a single core CPU clocked at 2.8GHz.  Anything at this point would probably be faster.

I open up programs like photoshop and Autodesk Maya often. On other computers like the workstations at my school, those take a while to load up. With my SSD, it loads up pretty much instantly. I guess it may or may not be worth it to get an SSD depending on what you do. 

Edited by colonel juju

I open up programs like photoshop and Autodesk Maya often. On other computers like the workstations at my school, those take a while to load up. With my SSD, it loads up pretty much instantly. I guess it may or may not be worth it to get an SSD depending on what you do. 

It's going to be for gaming.  I'm also going to get into animation eventually, as well.  Once I start drawing and stuff, I might get an SSD to put Flash and PS on.

speaking about flash does anyone know where is can find a cracked serial key? im trying to find one but most require surveys or passwords. i really need flash because i only have the trial, im getting my AT2020 soon, and i cant wait to start animating 

speaking about flash does anyone know where is can find a cracked serial key? im trying to find one but most require surveys or passwords. i really need flash because i only have the trial, im getting my AT2020 soon, and i cant wait to start animating 

Woah, woah, woah.  I don't want illegal things being talked about around here.  The forums or my thread.  That's just asking for trouble.

Forum rules, be careful my friend. No request for illegal stuff on (pretty much) any forum. If you want to find it, google it, but no requests here. ;)

To stay on-topic, I know my things about computers too, but I simply lack the time (and funds) to make a custom computer, plus, I needed something portable, so I bought myself a laptop. A Toshiba L870-141 was the best I could afford and so far I'm quite pleased with it. If you guys want specs, I can post them, but it's a bit of a hassle to find it on this thing, so I first want to know if someone's interested.

Forum rules, be careful my friend. No request for illegal stuff on (pretty much) any forum. If you want to find it, google it, but no requests here. ;)

To stay on-topic, I know my things about computers too, but I simply lack the time (and funds) to make a custom computer, plus, I needed something portable, so I bought myself a laptop. A Toshiba L870-141 was the best I could afford and so far I'm quite pleased with it. If you guys want specs, I can post them, but it's a bit of a hassle to find it on this thing, so I first want to know if someone's interested.

Don't need in-depth specs.  You could just post your CPU speed and amount of RAM.

you're not going to find many forums that let you talk about cracking software. 

Don't need in-depth specs.  You could just post your CPU speed and amount of RAM.

Got a Intel Core i7 with 2,30 GHz and about 8 Gigs of RAM. Pretty neat thing for what I paid.

I just realized that at my new job, once I start, I'll be making a minimum of about ninety dollars a week.  At that rate, minus the Union fees and whatnot, I should have my computer in...like a month!  I'm very happy now.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K overclocked to 4.2 GHz

Motherboard: ASUS P9X79

RAM: 32GB (don't know specifics, I'd have to look them up)

PSU:-- I'd have to check, I don't know from the top of my head.

GFX: 2x Nvidia GTX 680 SLI

HDD: 2TB Intel RAID 0 SCSI

and also liquid cooling and stuff.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K overclocked to 4.2 GHz

Motherboard: ASUS P9X79

RAM: 32GB (don't know specifics, I'd have to look them up)

PSU:-- I'd have to check, I don't know from the top of my head.

GFX: 2x Nvidia GTX 680 SLI

HDD: 2TB Intel RAID 0 SCSI

and also liquid cooling and stuff.

:shock:

well what about yahoo answers? although im pretty sure they aren't a forum, just a really helpful website. 

well what about yahoo answers? although im pretty sure they aren't a forum, just a really helpful website. 

Chicken, if you don't post something related to the computing device you use, then I'm going to slap you so hard that you'll drop all of your pockets.

• Upvote 1

Chicken, if you don't post something related to the computing device you use, then I'm going to slap you so hard that you'll drop all of your pockets.

i broke my mouse so i spent 30 minutes writing this post because it keeps clicking randomly. anyone know a cool mouse that i can buy? 

i broke my mouse so i spent 30 minutes writing this post because it keeps clicking randomly. anyone know a cool mouse that i can buy? 

There's the ever-popular Razer Naga

I personally don't know of any real popular mouses.  Plus, it also makes a difference if you just need a mouse to have a mouse or want it for gaming as well or something.  I'm currently stuck using a tiny wireless Staples mouse.  I have longer fingers, so using it is a pain in the arse, to say the least.  It also is very...unstable at times.  If you just want a mouse, go to Best Buy or something and find a good mouse for like twenty bucks.

Personally, if you want to get a really nice mouse for the money, I'd go Razer.  From what I understand, they're a very good brand.

I've been using the Logitech G500 for a couple of years now. The only time I had trouble with it, they happily replaced it without even asking for proof that it was broken. It's kind of expensive on the Logitech site, but you can get it for around $40 on Amazon.

Alright, just a little update, I was looking today, and decided I want something more modular for my PSU.  I decided this since I have a mid-size case, and I'm not going to be using a lot of the connections on a PSU.  I also looked at my situation financially, and once I get my job (orientation and training in a couple days), I'll have more money to spare than I did when I was working at Holiday.  I'll update the PSU section now with a new PSU I think I'm keen on getting.

What on earth do you need 17 buttons on your mouse for?! Seriously, when you buy that mouse, go throw your keyboard in the thrashcan, all the buttons you need are on the mouse. Mouse overkill, that it is.

Or is it a Mouserkill? Overmouse? Overmousekill?

What on earth do you need 17 buttons on your mouse for?! Seriously, when you buy that mouse, go throw your keyboard in the thrashcan, all the buttons you need are on the mouse. Mouse overkill, that it is.

Or is it a Mouserkill? Overmouse? Overmousekill?

yeah, 7 buttons on your mouse is enough, the other ten are just useless.