Sign in to follow this  
Dropped Your Pocket

Everything Computers

I got all of my parts put into my computer and got it up and running.  Modified everything in the bios to get my RAM running at 1600MHz and set my fan speeds and whatnot.  Now I just need to buy my Windows 7 and I'll be ready to go  :-D

Hey guys, remember this thread?  I do.  I'm officially going to be buying my new graphics card with my next paycheck on friday.  Just  thought I'd keep everyone updated, because I said I would.  Even though nobody cares at this point.

Hey guys, remember this thread? I do. I'm officially going to be buying my new graphics card with my next paycheck on friday. Just thought I'd keep everyone updated, because I said I would. Even though nobody cares at this point.

I care :D What kind of graphics card is it?

Hey guys, remember this thread? I do. I'm officially going to be buying my new graphics card with my next paycheck on friday. Just thought I'd keep everyone updated, because I said I would. Even though nobody cares at this point.

It's a Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 FTW Signature 2.  There's a link to the exact card in the first post of the thread.

It's a Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 FTW Signature 2.  There's a link to the exact card in the first post of the thread.

Get a titan, or a 690 or a 680 or a 580 (its better) I mean, the 660 signature 2 ain't bad, but there are better cards for not that much more money.

I'm on team Radeon.

And I recommend the Radeon 7870 LE. It's basically a cut down 7950 that's also a great deal cheaper than a 7950.

I'm on team Radeon.

And I recommend the Radeon 7870 LE. It's basically a cut down 7950 that's also a great deal cheaper than a 7950.

Except I already have an Nvidia card in my PC, and I REALLY don't want to deal with deleting all of the drivers and any left over crap that can and will cause issues with a Radeon card.  I originally was going to get one, too, just because they're a bit cheaper.

Get a titan, or a 690 or a 680 or a 580 (its better) I mean, the 660 signature 2 ain't bad, but there are better cards for not that much more money.

You're joking, right?  I work at a grocery store.

Titan - About a thousand bucks

GTX 690 - About a thousand bucks

GTX 680 - Close to five-hundred bucks

GTX 580 - Older, not optimized for newer games, and around three-hundred and forty bucks

I didn't even want to go higher than the original price of the 650ti I was going to get, which was one-hundred and eighty bucks.  I decided to step it up from that, and spend a little bit more to get the 660 FTW.  I have to pay bills, buy food, and other groceries, I can't afford to be spending more than what I already am on a graphics card.

I'm on team Radeon.

Except I already have an Nvidia card in my PC, and I REALLY don't want to deal with deleting all of the drivers and any left over crap that can and will cause issues with a Radeon card.  I originally was going to get one, too, just because they're a bit cheaper.

You're joking, right?  I work at a grocery store.

Titan - About a thousand bucks

GTX 690 - About a thousand bucks

GTX 680 - Close to five-hundred bucks

GTX 580 - Older, not optimized for newer games, and around three-hundred and forty bucks

I didn't even want to go higher than the original price of the 650ti I was going to get, which was one-hundred and eighty bucks.  I decided to step it up from that, and spend a little bit more to get the 660 FTW.  I have to pay bills, buy food, and other groceries, I can't afford to be spending more than what I already am on a graphics card.

okay, I know that you can't afford the first 3, but the 580 with the latest drivers runs new games better than the 660 FTW does with the latest drivers. Of course the 660 FTW is way better than the 650 so I completely support that up-step...  step-up... uhmm... change.

Damn those words and things.

okay, I know that you can't afford the first 3, but the 580 with the latest drivers runs new games better than the 660 FTW does with the latest drivers. Of course the 660 FTW is way better than the 650 so I completely support that up-step...  step-up... uhmm... change.

First off, you can't hide anything from me.

Second, a GTX 580 is too expensive regardless.  If it were around two-hundred and fifty bucks, I'd think about it, but over a hundred bucks more, I can't afford it.  I understand a 580 is more powerful, I never said it wasn't.  I just can't afford it, plus the 580 has outdated hardware, and doesn't have the fancy pantsy stuff the 600 series has.

Second, a GTX 580 is too expensive regardless.  If it were around two-hundred and fifty bucks, I'd think about it, but over a hundred bucks more, I can't afford it.  I understand a 580 is more powerful, I never said it wasn't.  I just can't afford it, plus the 580 has outdated hardware, and doesn't have the fancy pantsy stuff the 600 series has.

Ah well, goodluck with your 660 then. And I'm just sitting here typing this comment with my two 680 SLI's running.

Ah well, goodluck with your 660 then. And I'm just sitting here typing this comment with my two 680 SLI's running.

Shut up, Mr. Rich.

Richie-Rich-26-8-10-kc.jpg

• Upvote 1

Shut up, Mr. Rich.

That was a terrible movie. You should use a pic from the original source instead.

2227388-richierich.jpg

• Upvote 1

Shut up, Mr. Rich.

That was a terrible movie. You should use a pic from the original source instead.

2227388-richierich.jpg

I thoroughly enjoyed Richie Rich, thank you very much.  Don't make me get all "The Good Son" on you...

Shut up, Mr. Rich.

2227388-richierich.jpg

I thoroughly enjoyed Richie Rich, thank you very much.  Don't make me get all "The Good Son" on you...

Jealous much?

Jealous much?

Nah, not really.  I've never been much into dual card setups.  Creates more heat, takes more space, requires more power, and you get about the same performance as some other single card setups for around the same price.  Not to mention, there can be problems that may arise when using a dual card setup that can be avoided by using just a single card.

Guys need some help!

Updated to windows 8 on my laptop (bad idea, I know but I was young and delusional ;p) and now my machine doesn't seem to register the ATI Radeon 6770M Graphics card other than if I force it to use that in bios. Before in windows 7 it used "switchable graphics" which worked fine, could select whether I wanted to run intel on board or the GPU.

I can still supposedly do that in Win 8 but when I run dxdiag I get nothing but intel and the most games that use direct x seem to not display, but if I force through bios all is fine with the world.

Any suggestions?

And before you ask yes I have the latest win 8 catalyst center thingy as well as what I believe is the latest bios and chipset for my machine.

I'm expecting a decent sum of money.

I'm obviously NOT going to buy all the parts I want now, so I'll just buy the processor, motherboard, case, PSU, ram, and fans.

I'll just transfer my couple of older hard drives and my 7750 over till I get enough money to buy myself a GPU first, then the SSD will come and the several hard drives I'll be needing.

The only real issue is what form factor is most desirable to my needs and a decent overclock.

I'm expecting a decent sum of money.

I'm obviously NOT going to buy all the parts I want now, so I'll just buy the processor, motherboard, case, PSU, ram, and fans.

I'll just transfer my couple of older hard drives and my 7750 over till I get enough money to buy myself a GPU first, then the SSD will come and the several hard drives I'll be needing.

The only real issue is what form factor is most desirable to my needs and a decent overclock.

Transferring over old hard drives is the worst thing you could do.  Hard drives are prone to failure already, reusing them is a bad idea, since they only have about a five year lifespan to begin with.

Also, if you're buying parts over time, do what I did, and buy the parts that are less likely to be DOA first.  So buy things like the case and fans first.  I saved the mobo for last.

That's true! I completely forgot how vulnerable HDDs are.

I guess I'll wait to transfer my anime collection, music and whatnot over.

That's true! I completely forgot how vulnerable HDDs are.

I guess I'll wait to transfer my anime collection, music and whatnot over.

You could always save it.... in the cloud!

Cloud-saving, works with all your pleasures.

Hai guise. I need some help.

If anyone can find me a great, quiet, heatsink for a (AM3) AMD processor, you'd be really groovy.

I REALLY WANT IT TO BE QUIET.

Edited by PSHYCOCHIPMUNK