Sign in to follow this  
Dropped Your Pocket

Everything Computers

Since I didn't see anything about grounding yourself prior to building a computer (so you don't fry expensive parts like a CPU!), I thought it might be a good idea to put it in the first post, but I will let Pocket decide since it is his thread.

Since I didn't see anything about grounding yourself prior to building a computer (so you don't fry expensive parts like a CPU!), I thought it might be a good idea to put it in the first post, but I will let Pocket decide since it is his thread.

I always made sure to ground myself before fiddling about in my computer, but it didn't prevent me from shorting one of my RAM sticks while I was replacing my cooler a few months back.

I'm considering buying one of those silly grounding bracelets for a few pounds, but I'm not sure if they even make a difference.

I always made sure to ground myself before fiddling about in my computer, but it didn't prevent me from shorting one of my RAM sticks while I was replacing my cooler a few months back.

I'm considering buying one of those silly grounding bracelets for a few pounds, but I'm not sure if they even make a difference.

I have one of those silly grounding bracelets from a computer networking class I took, and I used it when I built my PC. Everything went smoothly and nothing was damaged, and I was even building my PC on carpet (which, in retrospect, was a stupid horrible idea) so I guess I can say it worked. I mean for the cheap price it is to buy one, I'd say it's worth getting if it might save you the trouble of having to get a new CPU or something.

They do a pretty good job, I used one in my electronics class when I was making an ohm reader. For being on the cheap side it's better safe than sorry for sure, but you could also just touch something metal to ground yourself too.

I have one of those silly grounding bracelets from a computer networking class I took, and I used it when I built my PC. Everything went smoothly and nothing was damaged, and I was even building my PC on carpet (which, in retrospect, was a stupid horrible idea) so I guess I can say it worked. I mean for the cheap price it is to buy one, I'd say it's worth getting if it might save you the trouble of having to get a new CPU or something.

Spot on GoldenGhost. Are you also in the works to upgrade your PC? I had some questions reguarding black friday and cyber monday because I know that's the best time to buy the parts, I was thinking about going a bit above my budget for things that I could get more value for.

Hrmmm, sounds like next time I buy some PC parts I'll be getting a grounding bracelet, too. Thanks for the advice, guys.

• Upvote 1

Are you also in the works to upgrade your PC? I had some questions reguarding black friday and cyber monday because I know that's the best time to buy the parts, I was thinking about going a bit above my budget for things that I could get more value for.

I'm not planning on upgrading my PC soon (I built it 2 years ago and I definitely don't feel the need to spend more money on it just yet) but I'm still happy to help you out :-) 

I think it's a great idea to do that on Cyber Monday so you can get the absolute best value out of your budget, and I used PCPartPicker to help me find deals and stuff when I was buying mine. It'll show you prices from different retailers, and it stays updated with sales and special offers, like any free games you'll get along with that part. I also recommend making the buying process easier on yourself by ordering from one retailer, even if it means paying a few extra dollars just so you can order all of your parts from the same place. I ordered from Newegg and everything got to my house just fine, so I'd advise you look to them. I hear good and bad things about Newegg, but from my experience, they're great and I see no reason to go anywhere else for computer parts.

Anyways I'm always up for helping out if you have any questions, and sure other people have things to add as well, so feel free to post any questions you have here. It's smart that you're thinking about this ahead of time; stuff does sell out on Cyber Monday, so it's better to go in well-prepared rather than waiting to figure out what you want.

• Upvote 1

I'm in favor of renaming this thread "Mods Chat About Computers"

But really my laptop isn't bad, it just has performance issues. If I play a game on Steam longer than 10 minutes it overheats.

Are you also in the works to upgrade your PC? I had some questions reguarding black friday and cyber monday because I know that's the best time to buy the parts, I was thinking about going a bit above my budget for things that I could get more value for.

I'm not planning on upgrading my PC soon (I built it 2 years ago and I definitely don't feel the need to spend more money on it just yet) but I'm still happy to help you out :-)

I think it's a great idea to do that on Cyber Monday so you can get the absolute best value out of your budget, and I used PCPartPicker to help me find deals and stuff when I was buying mine. It'll show you prices from different retailers, and it stays updated with sales and special offers, like any free games you'll get along with that part. I also recommend making the buying process easier on yourself by ordering from one retailer, even if it means paying a few extra dollars just so you can order all of your parts from the same place. I ordered from Newegg and everything got to my house just fine, so I'd advise you look to them. I hear good and bad things about Newegg, but from my experience, they're great and I see no reason to go anywhere else for computer parts.

Anyways I'm always up for helping out if you have any questions, and sure other people have things to add as well, so feel free to post any questions you have here. It's smart that you're thinking about this ahead of time; stuff does sell out on Cyber Monday, so it's better to go in well-prepared rather than waiting to figure out what you want.

I'm hoping to have at least 1k saved up before then, if I do then i'll just save up more for even more power. I will probably use Logical Increments for the parts and such since it seems like they update fairly frequently as well. Yeah I have bought things from Newegg I have had a good experience so far so I will probably order through them. 

I'm in favor of renaming this thread "Mods Chat About Computers"

But really my laptop isn't bad, it just has performance issues. If I play a game on Steam longer than 10 minutes it overheats.

Everything changes as soon as they see the badge :-P

You know what'd be nice? Of I could also keep my ultra member badge as well.p

You mean the area above your picture?

You know what'd be nice? Of I could also keep my ultra member badge as well.

There was also a separate metallic badge for ultra members, much like the forum mod badges we have.

I think they were lost in the forum transition.

You know what'd be nice? Of I could also keep my ultra member badge as well.

There was also a separate metallic badge for ultra members, much like the forum mod badges we have.

I think they were lost in the forum transition.

That sucks. I remember seeing a picture of the old forums, I very much liked that color of blue.

We should try to keep this on topic  :-P

Anyways Vin, $1k is a pretty great budget for a gaming PC. That's about what I spent on Cyber Monday deals and my PC is more powerful than I'll ever need it to be. You'll want to consider everything you're going to use it for though, like I know you're into audio engineering so you'll want to think about what you need for that in your new PC.

We should try to keep this on topic  :-P

Anyways Vin, $1k is a pretty great budget for a gaming PC. That's about what I spent on Cyber Monday deals and my PC is more powerful than I'll ever need it to be. You'll want to consider everything you're going to use it for though, like I know you're into audio engineering so you'll want to think about what you need for that in your new PC.

ProTools isn't really a CPU intensive program by any means, but I do need a better computer to run it and the video engine inside of the program if I were to ever work on post production audio for commericals/film/youtube videos for people. I noticed it's kind of lackluster on my PC because I need more RAM, it says the minimum is 4, but to open huge projects and not get bogged down it really needs 8. Other than that, it does pretty decent on my PC, but since my PC is so old you can hear the fan a mile away. 

Also sorry for going off topic. 

I never ground myself and I haven't fried anything yet.  I know multiple people that have done the same.  Grounding is for that one in a million chance.  Just be smart about your work.  Don't do anything on carpet.  Done.  I just stand on a wooden board in my room and touch the case for my computer every now and then to discharge any electricity and it works just fine.

• Upvote 1