Sign in to follow this  
rahkyn

Reporting The Behemoth to the Better Business Bureau

I've been experiencing the same problems as every other person trying to connect to multiplayer Castle Crashers. I have been trying to do multiplayer for the last few weeks and it has been nothing but frustration for me. Behemoth_Chicken described what has been happening perfectly in this post: http://forums.thebehemoth.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=658. This has been going on for a while and the Dev Blogs don't mention much of this problem. This game is only fun in multiplayer, so I think fixing that should be their top priority.

All of us paid around $15 US for this game with the understanding that we would be getting a multiplayer game with up to 4 people connecting at once. I think that we can all agree that this has been close to impossible to do. When you are actually lucky enough to connect to a multiplayer game, only two players can remain most of the time. The others will almost always get disconnected. So where is the 4-player multiplayer capability that they marketed the game with?

They have probably made lots of money from this game and still have not got it running like it was advertised when they sold it to us. I see this as nothing more than a scam if they don't fix this problem in a few weeks. For this reason, I have considered filing a complaint about this company through the Better Business Bureau, and I recommend that you all do the same if they do not quickly fix this problem. Here's the link to the BBB: https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/GetStarted.aspx Or give it negative reviews with ign.com or gamespot.com This might be the only way to show this company that their false advertising and sub-par development isn't acceptable when we have to pay for it.

Do they really think we have the money to be paying for this kind of BS?

I am sorry that you feel this way.

I wanted to address a few things you mentioned in your post.

Neither The Behemoth nor Microsoft were aware of the issues at the time of launch. The game had been thoroughly tested by both The Behemoth and Microsoft and the problems did not occur until the game was released to the retail market. As soon as we were aware of the issues that were occurring, we immediately began working on a Title Update to fix them. In reality, these things just do not happen over night. It takes some time to find, fix, test, and then to certify the update. We have been working extremely hard to get the update out in a timely manner.

Of course, you have every right to report anyone you please to the Better Business Bureau. Should the BBB follow up on this they will find that we have been, and continue to be, very diligent in working to repair this problem as soon as it was brought to our attention.

-

kelly

Though there isn't much I can say to expand on Kelly's post, I feel I should address a few points.

You mentioned online 4 multiplayer is none existent.

Many members of this forum even have played online together with minimal problems.

I even played 4 player arena several times without a hitch, so the multiplayer IS there, and is in the process of being fixed.

Patching the title is their top priority, the Dev Blog does mention several methods on data recovery, it just takes 5 - 10 minutes of searching. All the recent posts on the dev blog feature user created art/videos, I feel it's great that they post that, they care about the community, and they show it.

Even if this game was never patched, it wouldn't be a scam.

If anything I feel like I scammed The Behemoth by only paying 15 dollars for such a solid title.

Also, I only speak on behalf of myself in this post but, posting a link and suggesting to report The Behemoth, a small unique independent company on their own forums probably won't be very well received.

I loved alien hominid, and i really wanna love castle crashers, but i could never hook online, and i bought a month of gold just to play this game, a month of gold wasted. I'll admit that i am bit shorter in the fuse due to having to deal with some similar crap with a ninja gaiden 2 patch where all they had to do was hit new game at the title screen to find the game breaking bugs. then, they kept the patch up for 2 months. It seems that bug testing is going the way of the dodo in alot of games these days, alone in the dark being another example. we arent talking about minor bugs, we're talking about game breaking bugs here, like with previous examples. I'm in agreement that we need at the very least some free downloadable content when the game eventually does get to working like its supposed to. the BBB reporting seems extreme in my opinion, but we still deserve some kind of compensation for the game breaking bugs for as long as we've had em. thank you for your attention.

I didnt do it solely for online(i play with my wife), but that was still a major driving factor. we never had the prevelant beta releasing on older systems like we do today.

I didnt do it solely for online(i play with my wife), but that was still a major driving factor. we never had the prevalent beta releasing on older systems like we do today.

Okay, have to point this out.

Games were never perfect, and everyone can agree.

Back to the statement I made bold in the quote, and the reason for quoting at all.

Older systems and newer systems are definitely different form each other, but the process to make and release games has barely changed. There are still teams that do certain things to contribute to the whole, there are still waiting periods of what can seem like years for a game.

There are still games that are released with bugs, some of which break the game.

The statement you made is just completely false. Games don't release BETA's of them for retail to the public, but free for bug testing, or not at all. The main reason people see problems with online is because it's still too new, especially in the arcade titles.

But as glitch has stated for himself, this is all my thoughts and does not reflect on anyone but me.

P.S: The OP of this topic clearly cannot handle a game for being flawed like they tend to be when they get released. Look at WoW, their online was fairly broken for quite some time. Same for CoD4. Also to call out multiplayer being impossible is also false. There is still local play, which works quite wonderfully.

Here I go.

Yes, the game may have its problems, but as Kelley has CLEARLY stated, these issues were not apparent when they play tested or when they were getting certified by Microsoft. Believe me, based on what I have heard, getting by with Microsoft is NOT a walk in the park, they tested the crap out of the game. These issues were something that they could not have foreseen without releasing this game fully to the public.

If anything, I commend the Behemoth for taking in all the crap that reviewers and players have been giving them about these issues. They have to face it every day, reviewers giving this game bad scores based solely on these issues, regardless of the single player experience. Yes I know multiplayer is a big issue and a big selling point for most of us, but there are ways around it. It is inconvenient, I know, but for now it suffices.

It's not like the Behemoth knew about this and said "aw shucks, let's release it anyway, maybe they won't notice" They have been working diligently, since the game launched to rectify the situation. That is more than many could say for developers of such games like “Ninja Gaiden II” or “Alone in the Dark”. For this I applaud the Behemoth for coming out and recognizing that their game is flawed, not beating around the bush as other companies have done in the past.

I support them fully, so far, they have given me a better experience than $15 could have ever bought me. Local multiplayer is a blast, single player is an awesome experience, and if you follow our simple guidelines (in this here forum) you will be able to connect to 4 player game online and not suffer the Data Loss glitch, at least for now, until the patch releases.

I feel for your losses, it has happened to many, but that is what brings them here, to the forums. Here they will find people to back them up, get them those lost weapons, help them pass that game again with that character, and get him/her some orbs, etc. This community has shown nothing but love for the game and the gamers.

I also speak on my own behalf.

To rahkyn,

Not to sound like a broken record, but we're aware of the issues and are working on a title update to resolve them. You mentioned there was not much information on our dev blog about this?

Here are the following posts we've made this the title launched regarding the title update:

http://devblog.thebehemoth.com/?p=325

http://devblog.thebehemoth.com/?p=326

http://devblog.thebehemoth.com/?p=406#comment-8500

In addition to this you're obviously aware of the forums as you are a registered member, and are posting this topic in our "technical issues" thread.

I'm sorry that you feel we are running a scam, or more importantly that your immediate assumption is that we would purposely launch a title with issues like this. At this point all we can do is find the issues, and fix them with our upcoming title update. The assumption that we are sitting on a pile of money not doing ANYTHING about these issues is simply not true.

At any rate, we really appreciate your support and feedback! Please don't hesitate to write us on our forum, dev blog, email (games[at]thebehemoth[dot]com) with any complaints, issues, concerns, etc, etc that you might have. We're not going anywhere, and we always respond to any message that comes our way.

Best Regards

-Emil-

I just find it hard you guys wouldnt test for disconnection problems with the save file, just simply due to the fact that dropped games can happen on the best of working games(modem crashes,etc.).

Though there isn't much I can say to expand on Kelly's post, I feel I should address a few points.

Many members of this forum even have played online together with minimal problems.

I even played 4 player arena several times without a hitch, so the multiplayer IS there, and is in the process of being fixed.

If your saying multiplayer is perfect, they wouldn't be making a patch. DUH! 4 player is only sustainable for a couple of minutes. Multiplayer exists, but it's so dreadfully difficult it's not worth the 10 hour wait for a 5 minute battle.
Patching the title is their top priority, the Dev Blog does mention several methods on data recovery, it just takes 5 - 10 minutes of searching. All the recent posts on the dev blog feature user created art/videos, I feel it's great that they post that, they care about the community, and they show it.

Data recovery? Then why are people not obtaining their lost data? And if it's so easy, why doesn't everybody know about it?

If anything I feel like I scammed The Behemoth by only paying 15 dollars for such a solid title.

I can understand this guy's frustration. I was pissed too because I thought I had bought a broken game. And he's just willing to make a big deal out of nothing. One complaint probably won't do much, I don't know much about the BBB, but it might not take much for them to take a look at things. And 15$ is not a steal for an arcade game which is less than 7 hours of gameplay. To me, it's a rip off. But after 3 years of development, they probably wanted a good sum of money. If anything. I downloaded the trial game EXIT today. If anything, THAT is a rip off. Worst game in the history of games. Literally it's poop.
Also, I only speak on behalf of myself in this post but, posting a link and suggesting to report The Behemoth, a small unique independent company on their own forums probably won't be very well received.

Of course you speak for yourself, it's coming out of your freakin mouth! And of course it won't be well received. Its like saying Halo 3 sucks on bungie.net

Please think before you speak. Oh yeah, don't try to be smart.

Ever.

If your saying multiplayer is perfect, they wouldn't be making a patch. DUH! 4 player is only sustainable for a couple of minutes. Multiplayer exists, but it's so dreadfully difficult it's not worth the 10 hour wait for a 5 minute battle.

Data recovery? Then why are people not obtaining their lost data? And if it's so easy, why doesn't everybody know about it?

I can understand this guy's frustration. I was pissed too because I thought I had bought a broken game. And he's just willing to make a big deal out of nothing. One complaint probably won't do much, I don't know much about the BBB, but it might not take much for them to take a look at things. And 15$ is not a steal for an arcade game which is less than 7 hours of gameplay. To me, it's a rip off. But after 3 years of development, they probably wanted a good sum of money. If anything. I downloaded the trial game EXIT today. If anything, THAT is a rip off. Worst game in the history of games. Literally it's poop.

Of course you speak for yourself, it's coming out of your freakin mouth! And of course it won't be well received. Its like saying Halo 3 sucks on bungie.net

Please think before you speak. Oh yeah, don't try to be smart.

Ever.

Jesus Christ Super!

I am on this forum and game community precisely because there are not many people like you on here. Why bring the flamethrower to the party?

Glitch did not state that the multiplayer was perfect. It is far from perfect, he just mentioned that multiplayer exists, it needs tons of work we all agree.

Second, Data recovery is not a for sure thing. If you try to play online, you always run the risk. This is also something they are working on. They are not saying "screw you guys, ha ha"; they are working on a fix.

Next, as far as the money thing goes: I think this is relevant to whomever spent the $15 to buy this game and what they get out of it. Great game play does not equal time playing time. Take a game like "Braid" as an example. I beat it in about 3 hours, but it's an awesome experience none the less and spending the $15 on that, I don't regret.

As far as you telling someone "don't try to be smart" on a forum is hypocritical. A forum is a place where you can post your thoughts and ideas for all to view. It's like an open brainstorm. Everyone's opinion must be respected, whether you agree with them or not.

Take it easy dude!

@gamestar: Once again, we DID test for these issues. They were not present until the retail launch. Don't know why. Wish I did. Don't know what else we can say...

:arrow:

kelly

actually im very thankful that it wasn't noticed!! cause if it was the game would have been pushed back even further and im sure all of us fans who have been following this game for years would have been very disappointing. besides playing 2 player with a buddy only is fun enough and you only get disconnected once every 30 min or so with 2 player.(considering you have decent connection)

and i once tried local 3 player with my buddies...IT WAS A BLAST!!!stayed up all knight beating the game 6 times within the span of 24 hours!!

I prefer delays to a broken game.

...cough...

@gamestar: Once again, we DID test for these issues. They were not present until the retail launch. Don't know why. Wish I did. Don't know what else we can say...

:arrow:

kelly

(Link for quote found here)

Please hinder your thoughts of this game being purposefully released "broken".

Thank you.

Thank you for actually understanding the post before jumping to conclusions Hounk. I appreciate it.

As for Superintendent, your post makes assumptions left and right, while the truth is right in front of your eyes. Every separate response you had was a misinterpretation or allegation.

The multiplayer IS there, and is in the process of being fixed.

It just takes 5 - 10 minutes of searching (please underline for me where I said "I guarantee this to work")

And 15$ is not a steal for an arcade game which is less than 7 hours of gameplay.

Though this is merely based on opinion, let us base this on a general consumer viewpoint.

I do believe The Force Unleashed is around 8 - 10 hours of game play.

I'm not saying that game is any worse or better than Castle Crashers, but let's do the math.

Castle Crashers - 7 Hours of Game play (not including re playability) / $15.00 = $2.14 per hour of game play.

Force Unleashed - 10 hours of Game play (max) / $60.00 (not including tax) = $6.00 per hour of game play.

You may want to heed your own advice.

Take care.

Thank you for actually understanding the post before jumping to conclusions Hounk. I appreciate it.

As for Superintendent, your post makes assumptions left and right, while the truth is right in front of your eyes. Every separate response you had was a misinterpretation or allegation.

It just takes 5 - 10 minutes of searching (please underline for me where I said "I guarantee this to work")

And 15$ is not a steal for an arcade game which is less than 7 hours of gameplay.

Though this is merely based on opinion, let us base this on a general consumer viewpoint.

I'm not saying that game is any worse or better than Castle Crashers, but let's do the math.

Castle Crashers - 7 Hours of Game play (not including re playability) / $15.00 = $2.14 per hour of game play.

Force Unleashed - 10 hours of Game play (max) / $60.00 (not including tax) = $6.00 per hour of game play.

Take care.

TFU is trash though. I also thought Lucas Arts was going to make their first good games starting with TFU and Fracture. Turns out, their both just as crappy. In TFU, you effortlessly hold down the block button which blocks every and all attacks except explosions. The only reason the game is hard is because when the enemy shoots you a 1/4 of your health bar has gone down (Guestiemate) :twisted::evil::x

Most of all, you bring some good points up. What also keep in mind what else your paying for in the 60$ titles. (I look for gameplay+story) I'm never usually satisfied with a game that has -15 hours of gameplay. My first games were titles like Super Mario 64 and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina OT. The only new games I've seen come out to live up to 15+ hours and then some is Oblivion. I felt that I was stealing that at a price of $30 (When I bought it)

Second of all, why would you compare a replayable, multiplayer capable game with a game that has non of those features. SImply unfair. The only reason they charge $60 is because they focused on the cool "force"gameplay and half assed everything else. In my opinon, TFU is only rental worthy like any other title Lucas Arts have made (Besides Jedi Outcast) Just cause it's $60 dollars doesn't mean its a good game. I was skeptical about buying CC at first is because the arcade section of the market place should be re-named, collection of the worst games ever. Although some pieces of gold emerge from that god-forsaken place. (ie CC, Marble Blast Ultra.)

"What I'm Saying is that gameplay and story should go hand in hand together but instead their on either side of the an iron fence made of tigers."

Right back at you,

a fan.

Take care.

TFU is trash though. I also thought Lucas Arts was going to make their first good games starting with TFU and Fracture. Turns out, their both just as crappy. In TFU, you effortlessly hold down the block button which blocks every and all attacks except explosions. The only reason the game is hard is because when the enemy shoots you a 1/4 of your health bar has gone down (Guestiemate) :twisted::evil::x

Most of all, you bring some good points up. What also keep in mind what else your paying for in the 60$ titles. (I look for gameplay+story) I'm never usually satisfied with a game that has -15 hours of gameplay. My first games were titles like Super Mario 64 and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina OT. The only new games I've seen come out to live up to 15+ hours and then some is Oblivion. I felt that I was stealing that at a price of $30 (When I bought it)

Second of all, why would you compare a replayable, multiplayer capable game with a game that has non of those features. SImply unfair. The only reason they charge $60 is because they focused on the cool "force"gameplay and half assed everything else. In my opinon, TFU is only rental worthy like any other title Lucas Arts have made (Besides Jedi Outcast) Just cause it's $60 dollars doesn't mean its a good game. I was skeptical about buying CC at first is because the arcade section of the market place should be re-named, collection of the worst games ever. Although some pieces of gold emerge from that god-forsaken place. (ie CC, Marble Blast Ultra.)

"What I'm Saying is that gameplay and story should go hand in hand together but instead their on either side of the an iron fence made of tigers."

Right back at you,

a fan.

Well then, if your initial purpose was to make a point regarding story and gameplay, you completely missed the ball in your first response.

Instead, you attempted to flame my post.

To avoid a continuous argument I am locking this thread.