Sign in to follow this  
Hairy Cabbage

Speedrunning

First of all, id just like to say that this game is amazing.  after playing for 30 mins with a few buddies, i'm already having an amazing time!

i just came here to make a little suggestion (which may have already been suggested but im going to say it anyway).

basically, my suggestion is to include a new game mode called "time trial" or something.  This mode would simply allow the player to choose any individual level from the challenge mode (individual levels, not sets of 3) and race for the fastest time.  This may seem similar to the challenge mode already in the game but instead of being a vs mode, this would be done alone.

Times would be posted on a new set of leaderboards, one for each individual level and an overall leaderboard with all times added up when the user has completed all individual levels (or a level cound being the base leaderboard ranking system (eg 1-*max lvls*) and then the time being the secondary ranking system so when people finish all levels the placements would then be based on time).

Time from the challenge mode would also be applied to the leaderboards if it was the users best time so the user wont have to try and replicate or waste an amazing run they may have had in an online challenge game.

The time trial mode will consist of a single player version and a coop version. both with their own set of individual leaderboards and both with an overall board.

With this update, the game would be up there with the other legendary speedrunning games on the XBLA like N+, SMB and Trials.

thanks for reading. :)

EDIT:  i would also like to make a suggestion for the use of the back button to restart a level quickly, navigating those menus can be rather annoying when trying to be speedy.

Edited by Hairy Cabbage
  • Upvote 1

I also thought that this would be a great game for speedrunning. I would love to see how runners incorporate the items into their runs.

I think a time trial mode would be a pretty good addition but I think it would have just been better if each level in the story mode displayed your best time at the door.

I also thought that this would be a great game for speedrunning. I would love to see how runners incorporate the items into their runs.

I think a time trial mode would be a pretty good addition but I think it would have just been better if each level in the story mode displayed your best time at the door.

yeah i guess that could work instead of a time trial mode for the story levels, as long as there is still a highscore table for all of them.

There would have to be over 400 separate leaderboard listings added to support this, and/or 400 other entries added to your floating save data (which probably will not fit).  Not impossible, but maybe improbable.  If you wanted to include user-made runs on top of it, you'd have to store as many entries as levels the player has downloaded and we have limited space to work with.

A more immediate solution is to play challenge mode against people who claim they are the fastest, or do it the old fashioned way of showing the playthrough on a recording  :)

There would have to be over 400 separate leaderboard listings added to support this, and/or 400 other entries added to your floating save data (which probably will not fit).  Not impossible, but maybe improbable.  If you wanted to include user-made runs on top of it, you'd have to store as many entries as levels the player has downloaded and we have limited space to work with.

A more immediate solution is to play challenge mode against people who claim they are the fastest, or do it the old fashioned way of showing the playthrough on a recording    :)

in the original post i said all story levels would be nice, but asking too much.  the challenge levels however, would not require even close to as many leaderboards.  perhaps u could add this in to the update while your fixing that glitched achievement ey? :)

player replays could be available for the top 10 players on each level, and would not require a download to watch (similar to N+).  this is a very achievable update, as many arcade games today support such features.

Edited by Hairy Cabbage

A more immediate solution is to play challenge mode against people who claim they are the fastest, or do it the old fashioned way of showing the playthrough on a recording  :)

He misses so many coins!!!! :cry:

• Upvote 1

He misses so many coins!!!! :cry:

He needs some chicken toucher to slow him down some pox always does good.

Ill support this might be better to have it as an arena mode and instead of leaderboards. It could just show the fastest time and you could try to beat that record.

definitely not.  the only reason i even made this suggestion was for some speedrunning leaderboards.  without leaderboards you might as well just stick to challenge mode.

also, it would be an arena mode game, but with leaderboards (just like the other arena modes have).

Edited by Hairy Cabbage

I completely support this idea, I've already had some good 1v1's online with some fast guys, and some 2v2's. Its really fun going for fast times, trying to get everything perfect. However I dont think they need a new game mode, all they need to do is add a leaderboards for the fastest times on each of the challenge maps. Theres no need to do it for all the maps as it would be to overwhelming, it would be much better to do it just for the challenge maps, and just keep trying to get epic times. I guess they could do leaderboards for the featured levels to but again it may be to much. I think a leaderboards with the fastest times for the challenge maps is do-able though? correct me if im wrong. Another idea, which i don't think is possible due to lack of space is ghost/replays of friends or top times. Any way defiantly think about adding some sort of time leader boards, it would add a whole new element to the game!!

Would also like to see a leaderboard for at least the challenge runs.

Isn't it an idea to have a forum post with all the fastest time, people

can comment with their time (pic or video as proof) and the creator will

edit the time if it is faster.

I really like the idea of using the back button for level restarts. I don't have many complaints about BBT, I'd say by and large the game is fantastic, but menu navigation/shortcuts is one area that it'd be great to have updated.

Hey guys!

I'm thinking about doing a forum topic where I will update the challenge mode highscores.

People provide proof with a video, and comment on the topic including the link and such.

I will update the stats on the topic.

Any interest for this?

When you think about it. Wouldn't just the normal and co-op play all be sorta Time Trails just they don't have the timer in them. And I think a restart button would be good. But maybe instead of it been the back button what if it was like pressing 2 buttons to restart. Like I'm sure it would be really annoying to be like right at the end of a level after trying for the last 3 hours to have your finger slip off the thumb stick and press the back button. It's a great Idea tho. I can see it been done. I would surport it.