Sign in to follow this  
LightningZombie

Who Can Make The Most Dificult Level?

Question! does it have to be possible?

Possible to finish it of course. Although, I haven't messed with the level editor so I am unsure if it's possible to even design a level that can't be beat. Edited by LightningZombie

Question! does it have to be possible?

Possible to finish it of course. Although, I haven't messed with the level editor so I am unsure if it's possible to even design a level that can't be beat.

It's possible to make impossible, all you need is those blocks that change number when you hit them then disappear when solved, 2 of them would be impossible to get through.

Done.  It's called "Triple Delight"

The start area on the map with the giant "LOL" is in the wrong place (should have been in the lower right corner) but it actually ended up making the map that much harder.

They're all possible to complete, just very, very hard; even harder with more than one person playing.

Now, I enjoy difficult games. I think that games like Super Meat Boy, La Mulana, or Spelunky are some of the best platformers ever. And they are difficult. But with this game, I feel that it's purpose is not to be outrageously difficult. Super Meat Boy's controls were designed specifically for it's difficult level design. Battleblock Theater's controls are much slower,clunkier, and harder to use. This is not a bad thing, howev Ier, as it suits the game. But it ends up feeling more "cheap" than difficult when you purposefully try to make a difficult level. Don't put near impossible jumps in your level just to be "tough," because that isn't "tough," that's     

"enough!" (...sorry)

What I'm trying to say is that Battleblock Theater was designed for more of a relaxing flow. The only way this game would be ULTRA HARDCORE MASOCHISTIC is if you were dying every 10 seconds, which in a game like Super Meat Boy is okay because of that game's design. This game is more about the ADVENTURE :D

Now, I enjoy difficult games. I think that games like Super Meat Boy, La Mulana, or Spelunky are some of the best platformers ever. And they are difficult. But with this game, I feel that it's purpose is not to be outrageously difficult. Super Meat Boy's controls were designed specifically for it's difficult level design. Battleblock Theater's controls are much slower,clunkier, and harder to use. This is not a bad thing, howev Ier, as it suits the game. But it ends up feeling more "cheap" than difficult when you purposefully try to make a difficult level. Don't put near impossible jumps in your level just to be "tough," because that isn't "tough," that's     

"enough!" (...sorry)

What I'm trying to say is that Battleblock Theater was designed for more of a relaxing flow. The only way this game would be ULTRA HARDCORE MASOCHISTIC is if you were dying every 10 seconds, which in a game like Super Meat Boy is okay because of that game's design. This game is more about the ADVENTURE :D

Try telling that to Chapter 8 Encore 3.

• Upvote 1

The only thing i find annoying are those levels which are pumped full of catnemys and/or when it's hard to tell what the stage actually wants you to do. Sadly many playlists i played till now are full of these.

Also i dont like the ones who rely to much on chance.

But i enjoy the few ones, where you need to jump precisely or learn a new trick about the game mechanic.

I really enjoyed the playlist by KRAFTPANZER, althought i dont remember the name of the list... but check it out.

The only thing i find annoying are those levels which are pumped full of catnemys and/or when it's hard to tell what the stage actually wants you to do. Sadly many playlists i played till now are full of these.

Yep, I agree. About half of the levels I downloaded were just filled with enemies or randomly placed lasers.

I should have a 3 level playlist up tonight that focuses on precise jumping and timing :)

I'll check out KRAFTPANZER's levels when I'm next on.

I would agree that the regular 9 levels and the two part "Boss" stage shouldn't really be too hard, they are designed to be the main adventure after all.

However, In my opinion it's not that bad of an idea to make the encore levels and maybe the secret level tougher than the rest, as they are designed to be an extra challenge once the main part of the adventure is completed.

A LOT of the playlists I've been through so far seem to adopt the "Make every level as frustrating as possible" approach, which is a bit of a let down when it takes trial and error to clear levels rather than skill.

I designed my set of levels in homage to one of my favourite games, but still made sure to keep the main 9 + 2 beatable by gamers with regular levels of skill, leaving the encores much harder for those that wanted an extra challenge. Seems to have worked looking at the ratings. :)

Just uploaded my playlist - 'Rage Quit' :evil: - 3 Solo challenge levels: 'Jumps' 'Steps' and 'FFFFUUUUUUUU'.

I hope you all enjoy the challenge :D

Edit: GT: scottie1230

Edit 2: Just completed KRAFTPANZER's playlist, some really good levels in there. My favourites were: 'The Hole', 'The Cave', 'FYICEWORLD', and 'freudenstachel'

@Kibapwnz Keep up the good work! Castlevania was a lot of fun :D

Edited by scottie

I gave it a shot, was able to beat em' all!

Mind you, level 2 took a lot of tries to finish. Still, better a level set which requires skill to complete rather than pure luck.

I would agree that the regular 9 levels and the two part "Boss" stage shouldn't really be too hard, they are designed to be the main adventure after all.

However, In my opinion it's not that bad of an idea to make the encore levels and maybe the secret level tougher than the rest, as they are designed to be an extra challenge once the main part of the adventure is completed.

A LOT of the playlists I've been through so far seem to adopt the "Make every level as frustrating as possible" approach, which is a bit of a let down when it takes trial and error to clear levels rather than skill.

I designed my set of levels in homage to one of my favourite games, but still made sure to keep the main 9 + 2 beatable by gamers with regular levels of skill, leaving the encores much harder for those that wanted an extra challenge. Seems to have worked looking at the ratings. :)

When I made my second level I accidentally made the very first jumps way too difficult.

You need to pull off 5 consecutive wall jumps with pixel perfect timing to reach a second set of less difficult but very punishing jumps which lead to a hop that must not be too high in order to reach the checkpoint.

Fail once and do it all over again.

Had to remove a few obstacles to lower the difficulty and make it actually FUN (which is the most important aspect of a level, imho).

It's still in my playlist (as a secret level) but I've made sure no beginner will find it by accident.

The main adventure should be fun and rewarding (sprinkled with a bit of challenge here and there).

Nobody likes to die to the same cheap stuff over and over again.

People should make a good level first and then tune it to make it more difficult (but fair).

I rarely use lasers/cannons and none of my levels have any enemies in it (for obvious reasons).

It's all platforming.

I'll see if I can upload my "WonderBox" playlist within the next 6-10 hours so you guys can check it out and hopefully give some feedback.

Still need to make a couple challanges though...

I think a good idea could be to pull a SMB Dark World stunt. Just save the maps to a different playlist and tweak 'em all a bit and viola, you have yourself a considerably more challenging set of level for those looking for more of a challenge without having to completely reinvent anything.

Hey !

Go there http://forums.thebehemoth.com/index.php?/topic/14800-adventure-playlist-koworld-i/

It's absolutly not the most hard level which is possible to make but it's certainly one of the most harder (and possible) level published at this day on BattleBlock Theater. So, go try my map and come give my cookie because Im hungry !! 

Hey !

Go there http://forums.thebeh...list-koworld-i/

It's absolutly not the most hard level which is possible to make but it's certainly one of the most harder (and possible) level published at this day on BattleBlock Theater. So, go try my map and come give my cookie because Im hungry !! 

Sorry for double post I've failed.

Edited by Drago Nightmare

I have a pretty cool and difficult map but i never really plan on uploading it.

You should! Kafka died not wanting any of his major works to be published, but his best friend said screw that, published them all, and now he's considered one of the greatest writers of all time.

DON'T BE THE KAFKA OF BATTLEBLOCK THEATER!

• Upvote 1

I have a really hard challenge playlist that onl has like, what 5 cat enemys in them? Sadly its only 3 levels long but many people rage quit because on the 1st one, theres a bunch of lasers pointed left and you need to jump on a magma block to fly up and you need really good timing to beat it.

GT: xBossDestroyerx

Playlistname: Timed Travel

I do really enjoy seeing more difficult levels in Battleblock, but I think the main failing point of these levels is that they're built in ways that aren't fair and require much more luck in timing than skill. I think the biggest offender to this is just walls or ceilings of laser traps which are nearly always impossible, or at least extremely unlikely for the player to get through. I have no issue with hard levels, and if you're good at making them keep on making them, but just be careful to ensure they're always fair.

Best of luck building to you all!

I made a level with this ridiculously hard sawblade showdown at the end. Two blocks high space and about 100 blocks long, you have to run the whole way dodging sawblades from the top and the bottom. It took me about an hour to get through, as it requires EXACTLY perfect timing on about 40 jumps lol...

In response to 8Bitten, I made a difficult playlist that I tested several times before publishing to make sure it is extremely fair, and I am pretty proud of it. You should check it out. It's a solo adventure called 30sec left.

I've played that playlist! It's really great! I just encourage you all to test your levels and make sure traps are consistent and not random.