Sign in to follow this  
Hairy Cabbage

A Few Improvements

CO-OP

Checkpoints - They are essentially broken in a coop situation.  collecting them means NOTHING, u don't spawn at them, u don't even spawn near them half the time, one minute you die and return to the closest checkpoint, the next time u die u go even further back.  there is literally no science to them.

Right Stick Click - This button SERIOUSLY needs to make its mind up on what it wants to do.  one minute it shows you the entire map zoomed out, and the next its showing you your partner, its seriously annoying.

General Camera - When running in the opposite direction to your partner, you are basically playing blind.  there is no way of seeing whats in front of you other than the 1 inch u can see.  The cameras need to be separated to work like they do in single player, and then the use of the right stick click to see your partner (see above) 

MultyPlayer

Free For All Mode - Why are we restricted to only 1v1 and 2v2 game modes, why cant i fill a 4 player game of solo challenge (or any other arena mode for that matter) and battle it out for the fastest time with 3 of my buddies?  this should be doable.  i was quite disappointed to say the least that this type of play wasn't available form the get go.

Sure they might take a bit longer to play out, but who cares? you with your friends playing Battleblock Theater!

The following game modes should be available in a free for all mode:

- Challenge

- Color The World

- Capture The Horse

- Grab The Gold

- Soul Snatcher 

- King Of The Hill

- Muckle Games

Time Trial Mode

Speedrunning - Taken from my thread on speedrunning:

First of all, id just like to say that this game is amazing.  after playing for 30 mins with a few buddies, i'm already having an amazing time!

i just came here to make a little suggestion (which may have already been suggested but im going to say it anyway).

basically, my suggestion is to include a new game mode called "time trial" or something.  This mode would simply allow the player to choose any individual level from the challenge mode (individual levels, not sets of 3) and race for the fastest time.  This may seem similar to the challenge mode already in the game but instead of being a vs mode, this would be done alone.

Times would be posted on a new set of leaderboards, one for each individual level and an overall leaderboard with all times added up when the user has completed all individual levels (or a level cound being the base leaderboard ranking system (eg 1-*max lvls*) and then the time being the secondary ranking system so when people finish all levels the placements would then be based on time).

Time from the challenge mode would also be applied to the leaderboards if it was the users best time so the user wont have to try and replicate or waste an amazing run they may have had in an online challenge game.

The time trial mode will consist of a single player version and a coop version. both with their own set of individual leaderboards and both with an overall board.

With this update, the game would be up there with the other legendary speedrunning games on the XBLA like N+, SMB and Trials.

Other features i would like to see added

Camera Zoom - The ability to toggle between a close player camera and a zoomed out camera showing the entire play area. (perhaps the right stick click instead if what it does now (showing just the exit))

Glitches

Broken Achievements - Fix the Jail Breaker achievement please.

I personally would really appreciate it if any of the things listed above were fixed/added to make this game even better than it already is (which is pretty damn good i should add).

Edited by Hairy Cabbage

Why cant i fill a 4 player game of solo challenge

To answer the question with a few reasons;

1) Right now, all arena matches take approximately 3 minutes.  If you had 4 teams each starting a fresh run, you'd be in the neighborhood of 10-12 minutes.  It's not as likely that you'll find strangers willing to wait around that long per round.  People will be quickmatching into everything - I can see waiting this long as something players might not want.  

2) We wanted lobbies to be something that can have a mix of all modes, as to include user generated content.  If you have this mode that is 2v2 and this mode that is 1v1v1v1 and this mode that is Free-for-all all in the same lobby, plus everyone can join in or drop out at any time.... well, things get pretty darn hairy very quickly.  

3) On the code side, the host decides the teams before the game is started and it does not prepare for changes or check throughout.

4) This entire game is based around working with a friend, from its story to the gameplay design.

This game is extremely complex. Just engineered this thing for 5 years!  Additions like this affect much more than just the part being added.

========================

The achievement is being looked at.  It's 'good' that it is broken for everyone, because when we fix it, it'll work for everyone.

As for checkpoints in co-op, yes I know they do nothing.  This is by design.  It's better to spawn near your friend than a checkpoint 99% of the time, mostly for camera zoom reasons.  Camera zoom was our #1 enemy throughout development.  Of course, the checkpoints do function properly in Challenge Mode because it'd be unfair otherwise.

Anyway - rainbows are so cool that they should stay in the game, since it's fun to make them come out and the focus here is fun!

We wanted lobbies to be something that can have a mix of all modes, as to include user generated content.  If you have this mode that is 2v2 and this mode that is 1v1v1v1 and this mode that is Free-for-all all in the same lobby, plus everyone can join in or drop out at any time.... well, things get pretty darn hairy very quickly.  

i think you may have missed my point, but im not sure.  what im proposing is the ability to play the game modes within a player match as a free for all game mode as well as with a team.  not sure what you meant by 1v1v1v1.  

and as for the challenge mode thing, i should mention that my idea was meant for player matches, and if your not willing to wait for the other people to finish, join ranked matches or personally ask someone for a 1v1.  or even just join a player match lobby and ready up.   the 4 player solo challenge was suggested mainly to play with friends, not with 3 random strangers.

Ah,  1v1v1v1 is the same as a 4 player free-for-all as far as the code is concerned.  Each player on their own 'team' of 1.

Oh woops, I see what you mean, shouldn't have included both in my sentence simultaneously since they are the same thing.  Still the same reasoning more-or-less as the engine does not differentiate team sizes.

None of this is impossible, just explaining why it isn't.

The camera can really hinder the game in co-op. I've found that when your co-op partner is within close proximity, clicking the right-stick will display the location of the exit. Whereas when your partner is distant, it displays the location of your partner. As for adjusting the camera to see where you are going, I think it would be impossible the game to determine where you are planning on going to adjust the camera accordingly. Shifting the camera further in either direction would cause a earthquake on sections where you need to turn frequently to complete them.

The camera can drive you absolutely mad, but I don't think there is any easier way of doing it.

The way that local games are played could be improved as well. When playing with my friend we have trouble with seeing. We also have trouble when starting a scene because we both start in the same place and bump into each other. I would like to see bbt a more teamworthy game so i dont kill my friend as easy.

Maybe some little options when hosting a Friendly Matchmaking would be cool.

Enable/Disable specific weapons (Grenade spamming is reallyannoying in some modes, like ball.), 1vs1 mode, being able to see the gamertag of the other players...
You should also make the LB button do something more usefull... Rotating trough weapons, for exemple.

(I know my English is horrible for this post... I'm sorry... But I think it's better than Google Traduction. :3 )

The only thing i'd add, as i said during the beta test,  is bots in the offline arenas. Its boring when you have only 2 friends to play with, and you can't do a 2vs2, because one of them is going to be alone, without even a bot to team with.

Edited by Degreeds

I'd like to see friendly fire off/on option, being able to see their Gamertag and their head shape money, and yarn instead of just mine.

I'd like to be able to scroll through weapons with RB, because going into pause is kinda annoying.

If i can make a suggestion, i think that the option to map your favorite/most useful weapons to each direction on the d-pad should be added. It's annoying when the frog might be more useful than the grenade and you have to go through all your weapons to find the one you want. Also going through the menu in multiplayer basically guarantees you a loss.

Feature Request:
It would be incredible if you could hold LB and use the joystick to select a weapon on a pie menu around your character.

Bug:

If you press Y in local coop character customization, that character gets booted but the other can still play the co-op events alone.

Just a suggestion for DLC, I think they should add a rotating block which makes you rotate like 90* every time you bump into it. They should have one for clockwise and anticlockwise and could improve solo and co-op games.

They could also add a free for all survival game mode (kinda like super smash bros.) were each player has like 3-5 lives and the winner gets like 10 gems etc..

I think we should be able to switch through weapons just like in castle crashers with LB, it would be much better that way.